Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It is with a heavy heart I must announce The Ringer is at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Guarantee you they found "unicorn" is the new hot word that draws those sweet sweet clicks

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Teemu Pokemon posted:

That's also a dumb idea because drafts are important for parity (even though they are terrible from a labor standpoint). The real way to stop tanking is to make the order determined by a three year aggregate record because not many teams are going to have the balls (idiocy?) to do what the 76ers did and there's no guarantee that when you finally are bad enough over 3 years to get #1 overall, that it'll be a good draft.

The real issue with tanking is people complaining about tanking. It's a legitimate strategy, bad teams need good young played to get good, it's not rocket science and there's nothing wrong with it. lovely owners, dumb GMs and nepotism are the actual culprits for subpar products and doing anything to curtail tanking is purely symptom treating

Yeah, the only real argument I buy is from a labor standpoint — and it doesn't seem like an issue the NBAPA is interested in chasing. Basically every team in the league save the Nets and Lakers thought they had a chance at the playoffs this year and the distribution of wins is more or less the same as during the height of tanking hysteria.

The main argument I see is that teams don't shouldn't be incentivized to lose after they've been eliminated from the playoffs, but only die-hards really give a poo poo at that point anyway. They probably don't care if a team goes .300 instead of .200 in the last few months

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Unicorns are supposed to be rare. Do they understand how rarity works?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Maybe "Unicorn" just means "thing or person I like" now, like how "hipster" became "thing or person I don't like".

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

They should draw the lottery balls before the first team is eliminated from the playoffs or the trade deadline. Hell, make it part of all-star weekend. Tanking from the start of the season is fine if you're happy with no season tickets.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Why my Buddy House is the Unicorn of Binge Eating

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Unicorn

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The most Unicorn NBA Box Score And How It Relates To "The Wire"

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

DJExile posted:

The most Unicorn NBA Box Score And How It Relates To "The Wire"

Empty quoting the poo poo out of this

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

soggybagel posted:

Why my Buddy House is the Unicorn of Binge Eating

check out buddy when buddy fill up

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Centaurs are the unicorns of mythical creatures.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

xbilkis posted:

It is with a heavy heart I must announce The Ringer is at it again

There are some real unicorns in the comments.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The best thing about calling people unicorns in 2017- if you do it long enough, people are going to find is nauseating no matter who you are and where you are

BWV fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Mar 30, 2017

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I assume most of the staff know it's dumb and it's coming from Simmons since he's taken a more active role with the site since his awful tv show collapsed. Which is too bad because the worst part of any website featuring Bill Simmons is Bill Simmons and his dumbass catchphrases and theories

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
https://www.google.com/#q=site:theringer.com+unicorn&*

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Adding it to the internet slang article when they're the only ones who say it is by far the funniest part of this

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
jesus loving christ that is hilarious, infuriating, and sad

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
I'd rather have a pegasus than a unicorn.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
How about another "mythical" creature that has a single horn, actually isn't mythical at all, and actually is super rare for humans to see (so it would fit the analogy better):

Narwhal

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Hasn't unicorn been a wrestling thing for awhile with the New Day? I figured it probably evolved out of that due to every millennial sportswriter seemingly loving wrestling.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
A "unicorn" is a straight woman who will be the 3rd in your ffm threeway. That's all it means. The word was invented to mean that.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kalli posted:

Hasn't unicorn been a wrestling thing for awhile with the New Day? I figured it probably evolved out of that due to every millennial sportswriter seemingly loving wrestling.

The tech bubble hipster version predates them by a year

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Work Friend Keven posted:

A "unicorn" is a straight woman who will be the 3rd in your ffm threeway. That's all it means. The word was invented to mean that.

Pretty sure it was invented for a horse with a horn. But I'm not a unicorn scientist so what do I know.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
actually, I believe the word was invented to describe the 1985-1986 Boston Celtics.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Unicorn is something I came up with on a road trip with my buddies let me list their names: joe goats, loafer, finger gun ron, chet, chett, do your remember that time on melrose place steve, michael rapoport, johnny sex crimes, and wayne

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

R.D. Mangles posted:

Unicorn is something I came up with on a road trip with my buddies let me list their names: joe goats, loafer, finger gun ron, chet, chett, do your remember that time on melrose place steve, michael rapoport, johnny sex crimes, and wayne

Stay tuned for a new episode of The Bill Simmons podcast, where I talk to an established NBA writer for 45 minutes on his opinions, and I ask Johnny Sex Crimes about his opinions for an equal amount of time

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Making up fake Simmons friends nicknames will always be funny. One of the few jokes that can never be beat into the ground.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

iospace posted:

That, and at times it does feel like the players are a bit more invested in it, especially come Tourney Time.

Role players are getting contracts worth $15 million a year in the NBA. I think they have more incentive than some college players who are playing for high fives on campus.

Grittybeard posted:

One thing college ball has going for it is there's no tanking involved, teams like the one I root for just really are that bad. Not that the NBA is the only professional league where teams tank obviously, but it does feel extra brazen at times.

In college it's worse. Schools like Kentucky are scheduling schools like Cleveland State and Tennessee-Martin who don't have a single player who could even walk-on at their school. Schools that have 1/10th the athletic budget. Big schools play almost no out-of-conference road games, especially against these smaller schools. At least NBA teams that are tanking can be competitive with good teams. College purposely sets up a group of patsies to pad their win totals and fill their coffers.

And while tanking sucks, it's not the actual players trying to lose games. They are still playing hard. I'm not defending it either, just that college doesn't have the high ground when it comes to competition. Most of their season is a joke.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
UT-Martin makes significantly more money playing at Kentucky then they would hosting Kentucky. And those patsies can still win, like say an eventual 3 conference win in the Summit League team ruins the 2015 National Runner-Up banner raising maybe.
No wait, NJIT over Michigan. I like that one better.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

BWV posted:

Making up fake Simmons friends nicknames will always be funny. One of the few jokes that can never be beat into the ground.

Up there with Guy Fieri dishes.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Spoeank posted:

Pretty sure it was invented for a horse with a horn. But I'm not a unicorn scientist so what do I know.

Maybe Lisa Frank knows. She's probably the leading expert on unicornology.

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Not to jump into this internet conversation balls first but unicorn is used quite a bit in the Facebook/Pinterest circles. Especially 18-35 women demo. It's meaning is precisely what you'd think, unique, interesting, and rare (or coveted.)

Its usually aimed at articles of clothing or accessories though, not people. So, they aren't making a witches brew or internet slang. It exists and has for years.

That said, there is a real good Kurt Angle article up on the Ringer right now. May be the first Ringer article that grabbed my attention and held it for a long time.

https://theringer.com/kurt-angle-wrestling-wwe-tna-hall-of-fame-addiction-e0b2a3a5460c

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
The 8 Wokest Unicorns of 2017 (So Far)

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Coco13 posted:

UT-Martin makes significantly more money playing at Kentucky then they would hosting Kentucky. And those patsies can still win, like say an eventual 3 conference win in the Summit League team ruins the 2015 National Runner-Up banner raising maybe.
No wait, NJIT over Michigan. I like that one better.

The NBA would make more money if the Knicks played 80% of their games at home too. I understand why it's done, but it makes a chunk of the schedule a complete farce.

Those patsies also win like less than 1% of the time. A garbage NBA team is still going to win 15-20% of the time against a good team and at least look like they belong on the same court.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Captain Internet posted:

Not to jump into this internet conversation balls first but unicorn is used quite a bit in the Facebook/Pinterest circles. Especially 18-35 women demo. It's meaning is precisely what you'd think, unique, interesting, and rare (or coveted.)

Its usually aimed at articles of clothing or accessories though, not people. So, they aren't making a witches brew or internet slang. It exists and has for years.

That said, there is a real good Kurt Angle article up on the Ringer right now. May be the first Ringer article that grabbed my attention and held it for a long time.

https://theringer.com/kurt-angle-wrestling-wwe-tna-hall-of-fame-addiction-e0b2a3a5460c

That is a great piece.

Also recommend this.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/03/chicago-gun-violence-gangs-donald-trump-basketball-officiating

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Captain Internet posted:

I really liked this article although this paragraph was cringe worthy...like something a journalist in a movie says.

quote:

Despite their memorable battles — including at No Mercy 2002, a tag-team affair between Mysterio and Edge vs. Angle and Chris Benoit, a 4.75 on the Meltzer star scale — Rey Mysterio was not Kurt Angle’s greatest opponent. It wasn’t Stone Cold Steve Austin or the Rock or Triple H or John Cena or Brock Lesnar. It was drugs.

If you're interested in more Kurt talk check out the Bruce Pritchard podcast episode on him. it's great

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MourningView posted:

Because it's a dumb cliche that is typically rooted in a lot of really gross stereotypes rather than in reality. Like a big chunk of the reason people always talk about how college players care more, work harder, play more defense, have better fundamentals, etc etc is because it's a significantly whiter sport

I am sure there's also plenty of overlap with the "They're playing for the love of the game, which is why they shouldn't be paid!" crowd too.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Inspector_666 posted:

I am sure there's also plenty of overlap with the "They're playing for the love of the game, which is why they shouldn't be paid!" crowd too.

It's well studied that black people are more likely than white people to think that college athletes should be paid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Remember all the "righteous fury" from people when Kentucky's coach blew the lid on what everyone knew but no one talked about: A lot of high profile colleges only recruit people so they can do their one year before becoming draft eligible (which included his), or something along those lines. It was the definition of "... well duh" but it was... I know there's a comparison here and it's escaping me.