Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I just think Jack lost the sword because a fight went south.

I don't know if I watched all of the normal series or not so I don't know if that was because of an Aku rematch or what but I think he lost the sword because he lost the sword. He should've really gotten a strap for that thing on the hilt.

raditts posted:

Ashi will break Jack's fall. And that will be the end of Ashi.

She will then continue to make appearances when Blue Jack does as well.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I mean, yeah, the brief snippet we see of him losing it would imply he was in the middle of a fight, considering he was half-naked. I'm just wondering what he was fighting.

I'm thinking the Horseman is an actual person, not just some abstract concept of death, who took Jack to task for the long-term consequences of his failure to kill Aku (I.E. they lost a loved one(s) that would still be alive if Jack had finished the job during any one of the opportunities he had in the original series + interceding years), and dueled him for the right to wield the sword because they thought he was just going to keep loving around without making any actual progress towards that one goal. Jack keeps envisioning the Horseman because, on a subconscious level, he knows they're right; for all those small families he saved, like during the introduction to the season, how many more died because Aku is still in power? Scaramouch isn't the first opponent to go slaughtering towns just to lure him, and it's not at all unlikely that he was the first in a long time to try that trick, either.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
I personally wonder if it was the Guardian that did it? Like maybe Jack challenged him AGAIN at some point, got broken over his knee yet again, and then had his sword tossed away so that he'd stop bothering him? Gendy DID say they were going to address the Guardian at some point in this season, so maybe that's how?

Fionordequester fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Mar 30, 2017

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Bread Liar
We saw Jack lose the sword. He dropped it.

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP

VolticSurge posted:

So,yeah,I'm kinda backing out of this thread for now. If I want to be lectured, I'd give my mother a call.

No one's lecturing you, no one's even responded to you. You can talk about things you like while we talk about things we want to talk about you big pansy.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
And so the great D&D/C-SPAM conflict spills over into TVIV, drawing them into the Neverending War

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
the gently caress happened in this thread

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Somebody UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKBLE EVIL

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Alan_Shore posted:

This show could be called Samurai Jade with all the genders swapped and it would be exactly the same show.

The interesting thing is that it actually wouldn't!

For example, the whole thing about "the more naked Jack gets the more brutal he becomes" would come across as something completely different if he were a lady samurai stripping down to her underwear to do murders.

Hm, let's consider this more fully. Would Jade come across as having a different relationship with Aku than Jack? Or would it be more appropriate to flip Aku into Ako as well (including the episode where she confounds Jade by turning into a sexy guy)?

Rand Brittain fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Somebody UNLEASHED AN UNSPEAKBLE EVIL

ACTUALLY IT IS ABOUT JOURNALISM IN VIDEOOOOOOOOOOO GAMES

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Chokes McGee posted:

ACTUALLY IT IS ABOUT JOURNALISM IN VIDEOOOOOOOOOOO GAMES

VIHDEHHO GHEEEEEEMS!
I love the syllabic inflections in this show. They give me PUHPUS!

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I have stopped thinking too much about Samurai Jack since it turned out the wolf was not a metaphor but an actual wolf.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Hypocrisy posted:

I have stopped thinking too much about Samurai Jack since it turned out the wolf was not a metaphor but an actual wolf.

Did you know that in fiction, things can simultaneously be "real" and a metaphor?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ikanreed posted:

Did you know that in fiction, things can simultaneously be "real" and a metaphor?

We don't take kindly to no critical didacticism 'round here. 'Specially not no Magical Realist metaphors. Metaphors? I'll so you what my metas for!

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Rand Brittain posted:

The interesting thing is that it actually wouldn't!

For example, the whole thing about "the more naked Jack gets the more brutal he becomes" would come across as something completely different if he were a lady samurai stripping down to her underwear to do murders.

Hm, let's consider this more fully. Would Jade come across as having a different relationship with Aku than Jack? Or would it be more appropriate to flip Aku into Ako as well (including the episode where she confounds Jade by turning into a sexy guy)?

That would make sense to me. Aku, any non-insect robots, and aliens would be drawn as and voiced by women, most of the time.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Das Boo posted:

VIHDEHHO GHEEEEEEMS!
I love the syllabic inflections in this show. They give me PUHPUS!

The magnum opus moment of this show is a tie between:
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROOWSS
and
BEEEEF JEEERRKYYYYYYYYY

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

The wolf was a metaphor about metaphorical wolves.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

So Math posted:

That would make sense to me. Aku, any non-insect robots, and aliens would be drawn as and voiced by women, most of the time.

The Scotswomen's husband might not come over too well.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I'm trying to find the episode where Jack goes underwater and the local fishpeople serve him food, and Jack exclaims "SUSHI!"

He was just so dang happy to find some tasty raw fish and soy sauce.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The magnum opus moment of this show is a tie between:
GREAT FLAMING EYEBROOWSS
and
BEEEEF JEEERRKYYYYYYYYY

Eh, I think Aku calling up a pizza place has that beat. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y57fFLHnmI

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

ikanreed posted:

Yup. Still, it was made pretty clear to me that I was overthinking things.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: posted late.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Caidin posted:

The Scotswomen's husband might not come over too well.

Agreed.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

We saw Jack lose the sword. He dropped it.

Yeah, I just think that that's the end of it too. It's not a metaphor of anything beyond that. Dude just dropped his sword.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
it's okay for symbolism to exist. like i dont think it's over-analyzing to say jack losing his sword is sorta like how he's lost his motivation for the quest. i'm all for not making paragraph long self-owns about television but i don't think that thats a far-fetched thing to say or anything

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
How can he possibly fight (gently caress) aku without his sword (penis)?

Also women bleed and that is scary to Jack, who is used to only lubricants.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

mandatory lesbian posted:

it's okay for symbolism to exist. like i dont think it's over-analyzing to say jack losing his sword is sorta like how he's lost his motivation for the quest. i'm all for not making paragraph long self-owns about television but i don't think that thats a far-fetched thing to say or anything

it is not and a little of that is good and cool and thought provoking

four pages full of d&d style slapfights is ... not the reason I come to tviv

I mean I suppose I can just leave but I'd really rather post in cool threads with you guys :)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

oh, i think i get it. i like jack cool motorcycle. sad that motorcycle gone. :( miss motorcycle.

this but unironically.

Fionordequester posted:

1) I'm a virgin

2) I'm a 24 year old who has never had a girlfriend

3) I'm a devout Christian man who specifically goes out of his way to not think about things that'll get his engine running; at least till he meets his future wife.

Take it to E/N, buddy, jeez!

*thunderous applause*

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:
I miss Jack's motorcycle already. :saddowns:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Chokes McGee posted:

it is not and a little of that is good and cool and thought provoking

four pages full of d&d style slapfights is ... not the reason I come to tviv

I mean I suppose I can just leave but I'd really rather post in cool threads with you guys :)

consider:
there is no such thing as a cool thread

WalrusWhiskers
Nov 1, 2010

He's got no teeth, see?
Fun Shoe

IronSaber posted:

I'm trying to find the episode where Jack goes underwater and the local fishpeople serve him food, and Jack exclaims "SUSHI!"

He was just so dang happy to find some tasty raw fish and soy sauce.

Great scene.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dki-6bLcwlg

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:

:3:

curse of flubber
Mar 12, 2007
I CAN'T HELP BUT DERAIL THREADS WITH MY VERY PRESENCE

I ALSO HAVE A CLOUD OF DEDICATED IDIOTS FOLLOWING ME SHITTING UP EVERY THREAD I POST IN

IGNORE ME AND ANY DINOSAUR THAT FIGHTS WITH ME BECAUSE WE JUST CAN'T SHUT UP
I need to rewatch all the originals before the finale comes out. I don't think I've seen them since they were on Cartoon Network, and I've probably missed a fair few of them. Making my way through now.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Remember that time Jack got turned into a chicken?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaC-B2HoGX8

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My guess is something along the lines of another goon's prediction-Ashi and Jack will be forced to work together, and will later be confronted by either one or both of the other Daughters that were thrown off the cliff.

I don't know a whole lot about Jack's character. But if they end up working together, I hope it's because she has like a broken arm or something and he helps her--not out of necessity for his own well being, but benevolence :unsmith:

nerdman42 posted:

I'm betting on at least one daughter besides Ashi to survive, just to provide a contrast for her own development. But if not, its no major loss.

The Matriarch could probably serve this role too. Or maybe the Big Bertha that beat the poo poo out of the sisters. Maybe Jack will beat the poo poo out of her.

mycot posted:

Ashi will be eaten whole by the wolf in the opening of the next episode, making this whole discussion moot.

What if the wolf starts to eat Ashi, and Jack is forced to kill it to save her. That would probably mean all sorts of deep stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

If Ashi becomes a significant character with a redemption arc, I think it's almost a certainty that she will have to face one of her sisters, or if they're all dead, at least one of the women that raised them. Her character seems custom-made for that particular narrative trope.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So in the last 50 years Jack acquired:

~ A Beard
~Paranoid Schizophrenia (He is hearing voices that urge him to kill himself, hallucinating even in the very thick of battle)

~Literally the motorcycle from Snowcrash except with spikes on the wheels
~His crazy transforming scrap metal armor

~Basically Han Solo's magnum laser blaster
~A chain gun
~ a pair Butterfly knives
~A ridiculous folding Electro-Extendo trident
~A bandolier of thermal detonators straight out of Star Wars

I'm willing to bet that his Ep1 mask was wooden and that he carved it himself, and that it vaguely reminiscent of Aku really shows much of his psyche he has given up to this endless quest. Aku is all he knows.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I just watched that scene where Aku assumes a human form to duel Jack.

Jack does a bunch of stretching exercises and Aku has no idea what those are

But Fifty years later Aku does stretches daily :3:

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

AriadneThread posted:

consider:
there is no such thing as a cool thread

well not in tviv no <:mad:>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Hey, there are TV Guide spoilers out for 7 and 8. They put to rest the stupid arguments in this thread.

Episode 7 - XCVIII:
Jack and Ashi overcome a series of dangerous physical and spiritual tests in order to recover Jack's sword.

Episode 8 - XCIX:
The burgeoning relationship between Jack and Ashi takes a turn after they are hunted by one of the galaxy's deadliest creatures.

• Locked thread