Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Gyges posted:

The weird thing I caught was that Danny was apparently raised by the monks of the order of the Crane Mother. So maybe he was intentionally raised to be a terrible Iron Fist?

Finally my Kung Pow! Enter The Fist sequel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Like, Crane Mother is a straight up enemy of Iron Fist. Maybe they are playing the long game. Maybe Danny never went to K'un-Lun and he was in K'un-Zi the whole time. You know, where Crane Mother is from...

Season 2 will start with the real Danny Rand escaping from where he was imprisoned in K'un-Zi, after becoming the Iron Fist, and coming to New York to kill the imposter that Crane Mother sent to take over his life...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

But his entire origin is about fighting his nemesis. That's his sole purpose.

I think they did a good job with not explicitly having a nemesis front and center in Jessica Jones. They hinted at it for a while, and without even showing him, they created this sheer terror and we didn't even see him until later on in the series.

And besides, the nemesis is inherent in the character, so why not build upon that in some way? I agree that the show would have been better had they focused on Danny's training, escape from kunlun, being a monk CEO, and adapting to life in NYC 2017 with this undercurrent of The Hand menacing about rather than what we got.

At some point, a nemesis is necessary in super hero shows. Maybe not season 1, but eventually. And to reiterate, especially when the hero wouldn't be who he is if his nemesis didn't exist.

His purpose as Fist is fighting the Hand, which is an organization, not a villain. I think we are losing track of what is being argued? Somebody else said that a superhero story must have a good villain, because nearly every good movie or show has one. That statement is demonstrably false. I agree wholeheartedly that the superhero genre centers on these conflicts of individuals, but do not believe that a good movie or show requires a good villain, and that you can have a good superhero story without one, including when it is their origin. I also agree that among the things that would have improved Iron Fist, a nemesis villain is high on the list, but that it also could have been good if it were, y'know, good in other ways.

Are we good?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Snak posted:

Like, Crane Mother is a straight up enemy of Iron Fist. Maybe they are playing the long game. Maybe Danny never went to K'un-Lun and he was in K'un-Zi the whole time. You know, where Crane Mother is from...

Didn't Gao describe K'un-lun in detail to him though.

Granted I don't know anything about the cities of Heaven. Maybe they all look the same.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Saint Freak posted:

Didn't Gao describe K'un-lun in detail to him though.

Granted I don't know anything about the cities of Heaven. Maybe they all look the same.

I mean none of it makes any sense. It's a garbage show written by morons with either no interest in the source material or less than a passing familiarity with it.

But technically Gao could have been to K'un-Lun as a visitor or invader. It's not like the Crane Daughters have never attacked K'un-Lun.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Snak posted:

Season 2 will start with the real Danny Rand escaping from where he was imprisoned in K'un-Zi, after becoming the Iron Fist, and coming to New York to kill the imposter that Crane Mother sent to take over his life...

I know it's impossible but god wouldn't this be amazing? It would totally redeem the first season.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Snak posted:

But technically Gao could have been to K'un-Lun as a visitor or invader. It's not like the Crane Daughters have never attacked K'un-Lun.

Sure, I just mean however she got there that means Danny is definitely from Kun-lun because he seemed okay with her description.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

counterfeitsaint posted:

I know it's impossible but god wouldn't this be amazing? It would totally redeem the first season.

It would really explain everything.

Why Danny left K'un-Lun: He didn't, was captured and imprisoned by enemies of K'un-Lun
Why Danny went to NY: S1 Danny was an imposter, brainwashed to think that he was Danny Rand, the Iron Fist, to be a sleeper agent for the Hand. S2 Danny Rand will got to NY to remove the imposter
Why Danny sucks at Kung Fu and has no discipline: He's no the Iron Fist, his chi is muddied by hypnotic brain washing, and his Iron Fist power is some fake other magic that Crane Mother gave him so he would believe he was the Iron Fist

edit: ^ oh, we're on "he's a brainwashed imposter now", try to keep up :P

edit2: And I didn't finish this show, has Gao still not been established to be Crane Mother? Because we've been speculating that since she first showed up in DD... but if she's really not... :shrug:

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 29, 2017

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

For some hearty lols, check out interviews (the few of them) that Scott Buck did for IF:

quote:

"The mythological aspect, we sort of keep as a mystery that lingers throughout the series. We haven't fully explored it in this first season," Buck tells WIRED. "We approach Danny Rand as a person, and try to see the world through his eyes. As for the flashiness of the fist, it's dealt with in what we hope is the most realistic way possible.

quote:

"When Marvel came to me with this idea, I had never heard of Iron Fist or Danny Rand," Buck says. "I had never read the comics. What [executive producer] Jeph Loeb pitched to me specifically was this character, and that's what pulled me in, what intrigued me."

"The other aspects are things I've only learned about afterwards," Buck continues. "I can say definitively that Danny Rand is no 'white saviour'. He's trying to save himself, if anything."

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iron-fist-is-no-white-saviour-says-showrunner-scott-buck

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Mr President posted:

Then again I don't understand why they didn't just straight up adapt the Jessica Jones comic either.

That would have been impossible, not just because certain characters (Carol Danvers, Scott Lang) were unavailable, but because the entire theme of Jessica's relationship with the superhero community is unworkable in a universe where there's no superhero community to speak of outside the Avengers.

I will agree that there should definitely have been more of a procedural structure, though. The pacing really, really suffered, even more than most of the other Netflix shows, due to focusing exclusively on a single antagonist for most of the series.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

quote:

No explicit acknowledgment of cultural appropriation issues comes in those first six episodes (there’ll be 13 total this season). But both Jones and showrunner Scott Buck (Dexter, Six Feet Under) say a key change to the demographics of K’un Lun, the city where Danny trains and which is only accessible through a secret portal in the Himalayas, helps diffuse the situation.

“What you may not know about K’un-Lun yet is that in our version of the story, K’un-Lun isn’t predominantly an Asian culture,” Jones says. “K’un-Lun is a diverse place with people from all over the world—South America, Europe, Asians, and Caucasian people all reside in this place.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/03/15/the-iron-fist-white-savior-controversy-creator-and-stars-discuss-the-mounting-backlash.html

That solves that!

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hahah, holy poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Good to know they've got both Europeans and Caucasians. Also, I'm sure, some white people.

Junkfist
Oct 7, 2004

FRIEND?
Scott Buck, forever providing the lamest solutions to the lamest problems.

edit: because like what's the point? What was the point of Danny Rand being a white rich kid in the first place? It was to drop him in an ~ooh oriental ooh~ place and show that race and heritage didn't matter all that much compared to drive and ability and like...what's the point of this now?

Junkfist fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
"People are afraid we aren't respecting Asian culture. What they don't realize is that we've actually erased Asian culture from the premise. We've left a few fortune cookie type references as a nod to the origins of this new interpretation."

Ireallylikeeggs
Jul 29, 2003

Goddamn. Every single character except for Ward just kind of does what they do because the plot needs them to do it. No one has any consistency in their actions or beliefs. The lovely fights were passable at first, but when your "best" is fight is as good as an average Daredevil fight, it eventually wears too thin. I'm 10 eps in, and I don't think I'm going to bother to finish this series. I just don't care about what happens to anyone except Ward. The whole show just seemed rushed and phoned in.

Also, spurned by my disappointment, I read the first 16 issues of The Immortal Iron Fist by Fraction and Aja. It's as good as this show is mediocre.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Isn't Madame Gao the Crane Mother?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Isn't Madame Gao the Crane Mother?

The implication from Daredevil and most of Iron Fist would say yes. However Danny was also trained by the school of the Crane Mother, which is dumb.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Davos: "You're the worst Iron Fist ever"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Shageletic posted:

For some hearty lols, check out interviews (the few of them) that Scott Buck did for IF:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/iron-fist-is-no-white-saviour-says-showrunner-scott-buck

Hrmmmm

"I had never read the comics."

Also, this was now obviously Jeph Loeb making GBS threads the bed with his own ideas. So you got two people who are poo poo writers involved.

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Didn't Danny also say that he was born April 1st?

They're not even hiding the fact that he's clearly a joke.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Well, finished Iron Fist. I ended up skipping through a lot of stuff because it just drug on and on. It wasn't terrible but it was very bland and felt like they stretched half a season of Arrow into a whole season of Iron Fist. They should have sped up the plot, introduced all the characters a lot earlier, had Danny get over his parents' death, put on the costume and start tearing poo poo up in the second half of the season.

I don't know if I necessarily blame Finn Jones for a poor performance, the character was really poorly written imo. I don't think a different actor would have made it less boring.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I don't know if I necessarily blame Finn Jones for a poor performance, the character was really poorly written imo. I don't think a different actor would have made it less boring.

I reflected for a moment on whether the show would have been better with, say, Morgan Freeman as the Iron Fist. It would have, but only because he's got an interesting voice and it would have been a different kind of interesting to hear him say "I have to recharge my chi." The show as a narrative and as a vehicle for introducing a character wouldn't have been improved.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

homullus posted:

I reflected for a moment on whether the show would have been better with, say, Morgan Freeman as the Iron Fist. It would have, but only because he's got an interesting voice and it would have been a different kind of interesting to hear him say "I have to recharge my chi." The show as a narrative and as a vehicle for introducing a character wouldn't have been improved.

Yeah, Finn Jones wasn't great but he is not the main flaw the show has. When Danny is being all chill and Zen I think Jones actually does a pretty good job. The action scenes are meh, there are too many characters that aren't well written but suck up all the screentime. I swear like 2/3 of the show is the Meachums and boring business stuff.

The show needs way better writing, a faster, more-focused plot, and better action scenes.

Though, uh, it still seems exactly the same as the plot of Arrow. Billionaire heir presumed dead in plane crash (orchestrated by family friends / business partners) becomes a martial arts badass then returns to his home city to mope around about the morality of killing bad guys.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I actually feel kind of bad for Jones, it's not like he was given good material and squandered it. No one could have saved this turd. Jones got hired like a month and a half before shooting started and had no time to get in shape or learn how to fight. His only mistake in my eyes is not passing on the project altogether.

The actor for the drunk boxer might have made it a bit more interesting, but in the end Danny would still be an ineffectual​ idiot with no clear motivation, wandering from one situation to the next.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Yeah, I should have said "action" movies. Obviously lots of great movies don't have villains. The Iron Fist could have worked without one, but this whole show needs a page one rewrite and some actually drat pre-production.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I really wanted a cocky Iron Fist somewhere between 'Anderson Silva while his gimmick was still working' and 'Smiling Ip Man'

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

counterfeitsaint posted:

I just remembered my other favorite part of the show. When Harold gets like all these different exotic and varied ice flavors as a genuinely nice gesture for his assistant guy, and the little rear end in a top hat is like "where's the vanilla. I only want vanilla." That part really made me laugh. I would beat him to death with an ice cream scoop too.

Especially after the guy said that if he was immortal he would eat icecream every day which apparently meant vanilla every day. Dude was irredemable, a true monster that had to die for the good of human kind.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I legit have never heard of "whole nut oat" flavored ice cream or whatever Harold had. Is this some New York hipster ice cream or did the show make it up?

Also whose favorite flavor is Vanilla?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

notthegoatseguy posted:

I legit have never heard of "whole nut oat" flavored ice cream or whatever Harold had. Is this some New York hipster ice cream or did the show make it up?

Actually I think you'll find it's the finest of the flavors.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

notthegoatseguy posted:

Nobody, now.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

notthegoatseguy posted:

I prefer cookie dough, but I do like Vanilla bean ice cream.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Some folks ITT are looking to get beat to death with an ice cream scoop.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
I mean, the best flavor is obviously superman, but vanilla is good too.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

notthegoatseguy posted:

That dead kid, apparently.

It's entirely possible he just likes vanilla with a bunch of topics. Oreo crumbles, sprinkles, fudge, glazed walnuts, rock candy, cotton candy shards etc.

I don't really like ice cream so I don't know what people put on them.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

Some folks ITT are looking to get beat to death with an ice cream scoop.

Pretty sad that Kyle was one of the most memorable characters in the entire series.

I actually was on a walk last night with my dog and I just broke out laughing at thinking about "Was it his hands or his fists" and the henchman has this :wtf: look on his face when answering Gao

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Saint Freak posted:

I mean, the best flavor is obviously superman, but vanilla is good too.

Last time, I checked Superman was sherbet, so a scoop to the head for you!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Can we get The Hand to bring back Kyle? Have him be like the Big Bad that Sigourney Weaver reports to.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Did....did that mean bald man just use aluminum foil to make shuriken capable of perpetuating the metal walls of a food truck?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

10 Beers posted:

Did....did that mean bald man just use aluminum foil to make shuriken capable of perpetuating the metal walls of a food truck?

That's an amazing typo.