Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So I created my new gimmick cosplay character Princess Zelda, figuring I'd use the Lightning Bow spell and perhaps a rapier or even the aquamarine dagger. After looking through armors to wear, I realized Shira's is perfect. Shira is clearly Princess Zelda, cross-series lore confirmed! :aaa:

Lakbay posted:

Inner Ringed Wall -> Ringed City Streets really needed more shortcuts or bonfires

Yeah, that part is brutal. The bonfire is even relatively hidden away, and if you end up going the wrong way you'll either run into the awful giant or Ledo "One-shot" Hammerfucker :negative: It's not the worst path to run through, but I lost something like 150k souls and 2 hours before getting through that area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

So I created my new gimmick cosplay character Princess Zelda, figuring I'd use the Lightning Bow spell and perhaps a rapier or even the aquamarine dagger. After looking through armors to wear, I realized Shira's is perfect. Shira is clearly Princess Zelda, cross-series lore confirmed! :aaa:

Feel free to post how well this does (or more likely doesn't) work out for you. I'm interested to hear how well that stuff works out in PVE.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

How are the DLC areas for running a Sorcery build? I seem to remember that everything in the DS2 DLC zones had super high resistances or something which made spellcasting impractical. I'm waffling between Sorcery and the good ol' Large Man with Large Weapons, neither of which I did in my previous DS3 runs.

Ariandel isn't too bad for sorcerers, but enemies and especially bosses in the Ringed City have so much health that it makes even your highest-level spells pretty piddly. I didn't have a Moonlight Greatsword, so I don't know how useful that would've been for enemies there, but trying to go pure caster (and not just turning invisible and looting everything or relying on phantoms) is very grinding.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

Feel free to post how well this does (or more likely doesn't) work out for you. I'm interested to hear how well that stuff works out in PVE.

Look, I've never played a caster in DS3 nor have I ever used either of those weapons so clearly this INT/FTH run will be a success :colbert:

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Weeping Wound posted:

The PVP boss is the single best piece of content in the DLC. :colbert:

I actually didn't realize that was a player. The first time it was some guy who seemed to have infinite stamina and I was thinking about Nioh and how nice it is to be able to see stamina. The 2nd time the person took all their armor off and just flopped around. Makes a lot more sense now!

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

I don't know if I'm just imagining poo poo but certain boss attacks throughout the whole game series seem to get straight-up cancelled by dodging in precisely the opposite direction to their direction of travel, because I can get incredibly sloppy with the timing provided that the dodge direction is right. Like the dodge window is an entire second or something and you can dodge against the direction of the attack before it's even begun and it passes through you anyway. Whereas if I dodge away from the same attack then the timing has to be really precise in order to iframe through it. I feel like this has a lot to do with why some people think certain fights are trivial and other people think the same fight is drat near impossible.

No, that's absolutely how Dark Souls combat works. Rolling gives you way too many iframes.

When I started playing Monster Hunter (after Dark Souls) I kept getting hit cause I'd instinctively roll into attacks instead of away from them.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Oh, Lapp. Such ingratitude, after all the times I've saved your life :(

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

cpaf posted:

Yeah I just blasted through NG with a Vordts strength build and despite experimenting with great maces/clubs and some UGS I kept coming back to Vordts. So many enemies are frost vulnerable it's ridiculous, and it pretty much always applies it in a R1 combo. Good for catching rolls, stamina consumption is pretty generous now, plus perseverance is ridiculous on top of everything else. Good times.

For those going with this type of build, are you using a shield or just two-handing the mace and relying on poise? What armor are you using?

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Elman posted:

No, that's absolutely how Dark Souls combat works. Rolling gives you way too many iframes.

Cannot disagree more. I hate the dodging in MH, and Dark Souls iframes are good but it'd be nice to have a few more at like high dex or low equip load. Really feel like a flippy ninja.

I miss the wood grain ring...

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mentalcontempt posted:

For those going with this type of build, are you using a shield or just two-handing the mace and relying on poise? What armor are you using?

With my recent UGS build I went two-hand for everything but parrying the occasional Pontiff Sulyvahn or Champion Gundyr. With medium-to-heavy armor you'll poise through everything no problem, just like the previous games. I think I had around 20 poise for most of the run, and unlike DS3 at launch I had no problem with dogs, thralls or other fast enemies. The damage output is crazy, so you'll one-shot most enemies and boss fights go incredibly quick.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Plunge attack them.

But yeah, that's kind of a really rough section. After loving up twice on my second character I just ran past everything.

This worked. Thanks!

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Are there any weapons under, say, 10 weight that handle Heavy infusion well?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ditty bout my clitty posted:

I feel the game is trying to tell me something on the fifth machete giant on a single bonfire. It's the wrong kind of hard.

the first set of three giants can be easily separated and picked off with plunging attacks, the second set of three can actually be completely bypassed with an alternate path the game provides you

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
What do you all think of this faith build? The empty slot should contain the new lightning bow miracle.

E: I really want to push faith to 60 for it but I am not sold on SL140 begin a good pvp SL.

Azuth0667 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Mar 30, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Hahaha, the optional boss owns and I feel bad for anyone who hasn't played Monster Hunter, because that is the most Monster Hunter fight of all time and being patient and pretending it's a Tigrex makes for an easy hunt boss fight. :getin:

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Does anyone know where the hell you can find heavy gems? I have more than two heavy weapons, so I know I've found some via drops, I just don't remember where.
The wiki's pointing me towards farron swamp and I'm getting gently caress-all.
PS. Originally I hated the optional boss, but it's starting to grow on me now that I know that you should just pretend there's no hitbox on the back half.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Time_pants posted:

follower's sabre

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Time_pants posted:

The Millwood Battle Axe, Mace, and Longsword greatly appreciate Heavy infusions.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

At SL 140 you still get matched with all the people that stopped at 120.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Metrofreak posted:

Does anyone know where the hell you can find heavy gems? I have more than two heavy weapons, so I know I've found some via drops, I just don't remember where.
The wiki's pointing me towards farron swamp and I'm getting gently caress-all.
PS. Originally I hated the optional boss, but it's starting to grow on me now that I know that you should just pretend there's no hitbox on the back half.

Millwood Knights drop them regularly.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Am I the only one who​ is still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this DLC? I'm half expecting there to be some ridiculously obscure sidequest or a super hidden area that opens up into a final boss fight. Or maybe another bonfire hidden somewhere that leads into a previously inaccessible part of the Ringed City? Or maybe an additional bit of content still left to be released that they're going to patch in a month from now?

I'm fully aware that this may just be full-blown denial that the series could really, truly be over, but the way that handing off the Dark Soul to an NPC just resulting in a couple throwaway lines of dialogue and that's it seems... off. It feels like there's something left to find.

Edit: yeah, probably there's some spoilery stuff in there...

Time_pants fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Mar 31, 2017

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Time_pants posted:

Am I the only one who​ is still waiting for the other shoe to drop on this DLC? I'm half expecting there to be some ridiculously obscure sidequest or a super hidden area that opens up into a final boss fight. Or maybe another bonfire hidden somewhere that leads into a previously inaccessible part of the Ringed City? Or maybe an additional bit of content still left to be released that they're going to patch in a month from now?

I'm fully aware that this may just be full-blown denial that the series could really, truly be over, but the way that handing off the Dark Soul to an NPC just resulting in a couple throwaway lines of dialogue and that's it seems... off. It feels like there's something left to find.

the ending of the dark souls series is you defeating the Soul of Cinder and choosing to reset this twisted game or else snuffing out fire for good

The DLC isn't meant to be an ending, more of a send off.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I would hardly call them "throwaway lines of dialogue" either, that was honestly unexpected and extremely cool to me :kimchi:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

It's denial

Remember before DS2 came out when people were like "so my only choice is to set myself on fire or become the dark lord? Wtf from where's the ending where gwynevere descends from the sky topless and explains the plot in full detail leaving nothing out? 0/10 game"

e: also there already is an insanely obscure secret boss in this DLC. I can't think of another boss in the series who is so well hidden.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

skasion posted:

Remember before DS2 came out when people were like "so my only choice is to set myself on fire or become the dark lord? Wtf from where's the ending where gwynevere descends from the sky topless and explains the plot in full detail leaving nothing out? 0/10 game"

Who did people think the covetous demon was

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Time_pants posted:

Some of that seems spoiler worthy.

I was sort of hoping for something to be found regarding handing over the pigment but the fact its been a few days means there probably isn't anything left. Dataminers probably would have found anything significant, like boss souls, weapons or items.

Won't lie I definitely had that tingle that maybe they'll be a secret update in time, or they'll surprise us and announce another DLC, but I realize I'm being way too hopeful. I'm both very glad and very sad I got into Souls so late - I got to basically do it all at once, but only got to experience the excitement of a new content drop once.

skasion posted:

It's denial

I remember watching a VaatiVideo about the DS2 DLC and hearing him talk about how there's all these hints of a 4th DLC...

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

skasion posted:

Wtf from where's the ending where gwynevere descends from the sky topless and explains the plot in full detail leaving nothing out? 0/10 game"

I don't care about lore at all in Dark Souls , but you had me at giant honkers

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

RBA Starblade posted:

Who did people think the covetous demon was

Coveting is one of the biblical sins, so whoever it was there's an undeniable connection to Velka.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Seriously though, did anyone here figure out how to get to Midir on their own?

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Annath posted:

Cannot disagree more. I hate the dodging in MH, and Dark Souls iframes are good but it'd be nice to have a few more at like high dex or low equip load. Really feel like a flippy ninja.

I miss the wood grain ring...

Well there's ways around it in MH, you can use the Dodging +3 skill which gets you 18 iframe rolls :v: And in Generations there's the Adept class which is basically Dark Souls mode, you get plenty of invulnerability and you're encouraged to dodge into attacks.

But yeah I get what you mean, as similar as they are it's a different kind of experience. Heavily nerfing Dark Souls' rolls would be dumb.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

skasion posted:

I had no problem finding it on my own, but I also obsessively talk to NPCs and check elevators because, like videogame waterfalls, there's always a secret :pseudo:

Now, the Purging Monument on the other hand.... not a chance.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

skasion posted:

Yeah. I saw the Gwyn statue, tried to figure out how to get to the item, noticed the hole above, then noticed the doorway that lead to the elevator, noticed the hole in the wall, and found a sign infront of the illusion wall.

It was the illusion that lead to the arrow miracle that I nearly missed. No sign infront of the first illusion, but heard the teenage mutant hollow moving around nearby and just tried to follow the sound. Of course there were signs in front of all the inner illusions...

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

skasion posted:

Sort of. I found the secret in the side of the elevator wall through normal observation, but someone had left a message in front of the statue you need to hit to open the invisible wall. It's a dead end otherwise though, so even if the message wasn't there I would have gone around and checked them anyway. It was a neat moment finding it, mainly because I assumed I'd killed him on the bridge earlier and wondered why it didn't give me any souls.

The Purging Monument is way more obscure, and I don't think I would have ever figured out having to stand in the swamp and disguise yourself without looking it up.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

skasion posted:

Sure I mean Shira basically explicitly tells you how to find him. Now finding the purging monument...

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

I would love this, if only to observe the collective aneurysms of the grognards.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So since there is no more Dark Souls, is it time I read Berserk? :haw:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

^^^i mean, it's never going to be finished, so at least you don't have to worry about the ending letting you down

I even found the elevator secret on my own, but I just thought "oh, that's how you get to that Gwyn statue" and didn't think anything more of it. It's the combination of needing to attack a pretty dangerous enemy in a situation where it looks like you should just avoid him, plus needing to get into a slightly hidden room in a shortcut, plus needing to open an illusory wall and then jump down a really deep hole that gets me. Maybe I'm just mad about the length of the boss run.

The monument is for sure way worse. There was even a "try swamp, and then try mimicry" note in front of it which makes perfect sense in retrospect, but in prospect the riddle is missing a crucial step that would make it work. namely any suggestion at all that a humanity is even a thing you can turn into, since they don't appear anywhere else in the game let alone in the swamp

skasion fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 30, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Your Computer posted:

No. Berserk will never have any satisfying conclusions. Just.. Don't bother anymore. You can read up to the Boat Arc and then just forget about it.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Your Computer posted:

Sure and then enjoy the never ending misery you'll never get the ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still upset that there's no giant armor or mask of the father. The legend....died.........