Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lowly abject turd
Mar 23, 2009
i keep seeing the base 10 thing but Westbrook averages 10.6 rebounds per game and harden averages 8. Base 10 or not Westbrook is still averaging ~33% more rebounds than Harden while averaging ~8% less assists (which might be more important tbh)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'd actually be okay with either guy as MVP. Which is rare.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

lowly abject turd posted:

i keep seeing the base 10 thing but Westbrook averages 10.6 rebounds per game and harden averages 8. Base 10 or not Westbrook is still averaging ~33% more rebounds than Harden while averaging ~8% less assists (which might be more important tbh)

Since they are both guards the rebounding is not nearly as important as scoring efficiency. They are both near the top for rebounding guards, but Harden is near the top in efficiency for a high usage player, while Westbrook is not.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

lowly abject turd posted:

2 rebounds are pretty arbitrary. It's obviously part of the game plan for Russ to grab a ton of rebounds to initiate the offense better. If you want a real argument why Harden and Russ's rebounding matters it's that Russ is the leading rebounder on a much better rebounding team.

The main argument honestly, is that in terms of production the gab between Harden and Westbrook is pretty miniscule. We are talking 2 points and 2 rebounds in favor of Westbrook and an assist in favor of Harden. That's like... nothing.

Meanwhile Harden is doing it for the better team and is much more efficient. The people gunning for westbrook act like his production is light years ahead of Harden which is completely false.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

I mean, I like them both as players very much and they're both doing amazing things right now

but the main thing it comes down to is that Brodie is just way cooler

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My friends let me tell you about a metric I've developed I call "the eye test".

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Harden is an ugly trash flopper and I hate watching him play. Westbrook is a super human who deserves better than his team can provide. Westbrook should win. He probably won't.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
It should obviously go to the most dynamic and exciting superstar in the NBA today: Kawhi Leonard.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Libertine posted:

It should obviously go to the most dynamic and exciting superstar in the NBA today: Kawhi Leonard.

I actually agree with this but it's pretty clear at this point it's going to be harden.

I'd vote

1) Kawhi
2) Harden
3) Westbrook
4) Lebron

priaprism
Jul 30, 2008
Counting rebounds for guards isn't that valuable imo, since many times the team is just allowing a ball handler to grab the board to get into their offense. Russ is averaging 8.5 uncontested rebounds per game, highest in the league for all players, and is ahead of the next guard (Harden) by 2.1 per game.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

It's probably going to go to Harden and the deciding factor for some voters will be that he was really close two years ago.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
James Harden was unfairly shamed for his defense by a YouTube video that could probably be compiled for every nba player. He deserves to win.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:
I think if I had a vote I'd go Lebron, Kawhi, Harden, Westbrook. If Kawhi actually finished out the season scoring 28 per game or so I think it would be him, but he's struggled recently.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Gonna laugh when Lebron wins it

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

TBeats posted:

Gonna laugh when Lebron wins it

I mean, he should have more. It wouldn't be the worst MVP award ever

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I'm just glad Gretzky never got screwed out of the Hart because writers were tired of voting for him. What a load of malarkey.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

10 translates to A which means Russ is the only triple A athlete in the NBA which is pretty drat important

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

You guys need to factor height into your equations. The Beard? 6'5". Rus? 6'3". IT? 5'9". The answer is clear.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

dokmo posted:

Harden is a much more efficient scorer, a better playmaker, and a better defender. Medieval numerology is really the only argument for Westbrook.

Human preference for aesthetics cannot be discounted simply because it does not fit your data models! You don't walk into a cathedral and say "well these stained glass windows should have been replaced with something more structurally sound centuries ago."

Russ should be MVP because he dunks really hard and he averaged a triple double and you're nerding yourself into a dangerous corner if you think otherwise

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I look at stainglass windows and just laugh at the foolish medieval times for not understanding the importance of dual pane glass

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I stand with Harden (and maybe Kawhi) over Westbrook. :colbert:

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Also it's not necessarily an argument that wins me over but I feel like there's been an unspoken premise wherein a vote for Westbrook MVP is a vote for "gently caress kd"

The Biggest Jerk
Nov 25, 2012
Is it a fair tie-breaker to use the hypothetical of "Who would get more wins if Harden and Westbrook swapped places?"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

The Biggest Jerk posted:

Is it a fair tie-breaker to use the hypothetical of "Who would get more wins if Harden and Westbrook swapped places?"

There is literally no criteria for MVP other than however you define value, so sure.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Westbrook should get the MVP because gently caress you

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Kawhi seems like the most likely to be my friend irl while Westbrook and harden seem like jerks. Kawhi 4 mvp

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I wouldn't mind Westbrook getting MVP but at the same time I think people who vote for him because he has an arbitrary slightly more rebounds as guard are dumb for missing the real reason why he should win it. His clutch performance in the last 5 minutes of a game is like historically good for a bad roster like the Thunder.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Russ should win MVP for the same reasons Derrick Rose deserved his MVP...it's all about narratives baby

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

I wouldn't mind Westbrook getting MVP but at the same time I think people who vote for him because he has an arbitrary slightly more rebounds as guard are dumb for missing the real reason why he should win it. His clutch performance in the last 5 minutes of a game is like historically good for a bad roster like the Thunder.

Yeah, his shooting goes up to nearly league average in those situations!

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.

Noctone posted:

Westbrook should get the MVP because gently caress KD and you

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
I feel like gently caress durant is a valid mvp argument. also

https://streamable.com/vwe3y

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

xbilkis posted:

Russ should win MVP for the same reasons Derrick Rose deserved his MVP...it's all about narratives baby

I don't see Russ beating a future world championship team 2 days after an ulcer operation

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

EvanTH posted:

Also it's not necessarily an argument that wins me over but I feel like there's been an unspoken premise wherein a vote for Westbrook MVP is a vote for "gently caress kd"

Hmm I never considered it that way. I'm convinced. WB should be MVP

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

If Westbrook doesn't dribble the ball off his foot in game 7 KD would have stayed, his performance in that series, jacking up and bricking endless shots is why KD is gone

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Ammanas posted:

If Westbrook doesn't dribble the ball off his foot in game 7 KD would have stayed, his performance in that series, jacking up and bricking endless shots is why KD is gone

If the Warriors didn't mess up over a handful of times in the last minute of game 7 of the Finals after being up 3-1, KD wouldn't have gone to Golden State.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

If Presti didn't trade Harden to the Rockets for Jeremy Lamb, Durant would still be on the Thunder

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

If the Thunder resigned Durant, he would still be on the Thunder.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Russell is cool and fun and he leads the league in something called "Player Efficiency Rating" which means he's VERY efficient so I don't see what the problem is.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Spacebump posted:

If the Warriors didn't mess up over a handful of times in the last minute of game 7 of the Finals after being up 3-1, KD wouldn't have gone to Golden State.

I'm not sure that's true, KD wants a ring and whether or not GS wins last year moving to the warriors is his best chance to get one

Like if you're the warriors and just won the championship and you see KD is available do you say no thx we good? Of course not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

dokmo posted:

I feel like gently caress durant is a valid mvp argument. also

https://streamable.com/vwe3y

It's the only argument that matters

• Locked thread