Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

I refuse to respect anyone who carries a goddamn boombox into a 5 star restaurant so they can listen to their own music at the table like a twat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That's the best thing that anyone has ever done.

Pacinamac
Jun 15, 2001
I CAN'T EVEN BE BOTHERED TO READ ANY FORUM SPECIFIC RULES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE TOO MUCH TIME TAKEN AWAY FROM STICKING THINGS UP MY ASS
Why isn't there a Netflix style subscription service for Formula One yet?

$9.99 a month for live races and the entire back catalogue would be amazing.

I am hoping that Liberty Media makes this happen sooner rather than later.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Pacinamac posted:

McLaren's CMO hinted that this is a possibility.

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

NtotheTC posted:

That's the best thing that anyone has ever done.

nah

I don't think the restaurant appreciated it either since the following year they sat him right by the kitchen lol

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Pacinamac posted:

As someone mentioned, MotoGP already does this and it's $150/yr so not all that far off from netflix pricing actually. I'm hopeful, I guess maybe next year?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Here's a post from that guy who claims to be a (now former) Honda engineer: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874&p=686622#p686622

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

TurboDrizzle posted:

But using wicka logic, where HAM lost early in the year by not driving better in his incredible recovery drives from the back of the field (sometimes literally) deep into the points , how does Niki "Crispy Batter bit from the side of the fryer" Lauda catch a break for literally parking his perfectly functional car on the championship deciding race? All he had to do is score 2 points and he'd have won. That's a clear MWDC disqualification. He didn't merely "not drive better", he stopped driving completely!
Yes, but:
1976 was right around when Bernie bought the TV rights to F1, and the Suzuka race direction was influenced to run it before a certain time in the day because it needed to be broadcast at a certain time for good ratings, despite the track conditions being suicidal. Therefore Niki by unilaterally withdrawing from the race was the first and only driver ever to defy the murderous tyranny of Tzar Ecclestone, at some considerable cost to himself. This makes Niki MWDC for all years 1976-2016 inclusive.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

If I burned off my face doing my job I probably wouldn't go back.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

learnincurve posted:

I genuinely can't go along with that narrative I'm afraid. Watching Lewis go out of his mind if Seb beats him is far more satisfying and funny than fake supporting him.

There are some people I just cannot fake support. Lewis is one of them.
I genuinly supported Are Rossie though, he worked hard for his WDC and was focused all year through and you just cannot take that away from him, especially against, as he well knew, a better driver than himself.
Lewis however had slipped into that 'I can do no wrong, I am blessed, I am revered' mentality that was his downfall. I look forward to Vettel beating his rear end and his false sense of zen this year.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

wicka posted:

Villeneuve isn't a fraud because the didn't deserve the title he won, he's a fraud because he's been completely and totally useless since then, and is an embarrassment to himself on a level Lewis couldn't even hope to match.

Seems a little premature to say that before we can compare their albums...

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

I genuinly supported Are Rossie though, he worked hard for his WDC and was focused all year through and you just cannot take that away from him, especially against, as he well knew, a better driver than himself.
Lewis however had slipped into that 'I can do no wrong, I am blessed, I am revered' mentality that was his downfall.

This is basically it. I'm a realistic person and it's very rare in this world that the guy who puts the hard graft in ends up beating out the naturally talented smug dick who does gently caress all, so it was all the more enjoyable to watch Hamilton eat poo poo last year when he refused to work on his starts and that ended up being his own little Waterloo.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
The one bad thing Rosberg's win did is deny us a Race To Five (Championships) battle. All those marketing opportunities, gone, just like that.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I think you lot are mistaking rosberg "working hard and being determined" for "barely holding it together" and being constantly on the verge of an "I'm in over my head" panic attack for a few months on end.

No matter how much good luck went his way and how hard he tried Hamilton was always either on his tail or gaining quickly in points. He pretty much said so himself after Abu Dhabi

Flesh Croissant fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Mar 30, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
And yet, still beat Lewis.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

HJB posted:

The one bad thing Rosberg's win did is deny us a Race To Five (Championships) battle. All those marketing opportunities, gone, just like that.

Thank christ

Crofty shouting into the mic: "WHO'S GOING TO OVERCUT THE UNDERCUT TO THEIR FIFTH CHAMPIONSHIP CRESCENDO"

I don't want Vettel to win WDC as much as I don't want Lewis to win WDC.

WDC Preference in order:
1. Literally anyone other than Hamilton
2. A first time WDC (Bottas for maximum Hamilton meltdown)
3. Vettel I guess

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Reality is that only Ferarri have caught up. Newey choked and the Renault engine isn't good enough to see red bull ever doing anything but fighting over fifth with the occasional podium if other people's engines go bang or they crash into each other at the start.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

learnincurve posted:

And yet, still beat Lewis.
I saw a few interviews with Nico since the WDC on the youtubes (nobody shares these interviews because Nico is boring) but they were kind of interesting because a couple times he mentions specific things he did differently in 2016 in terms of training and race prep and poo poo. Like he got a new personal trainer or something and he stopped bicycling because it builds muscles he doesn't need and he practiced a new kind of meditation/visualization. I mean he's the new Schumacher here basically. Through sheer force of mind and effort he willed himself into the championship. A triumph of the will, you might say.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Gotta have Vettel for the ABL factor but telling Whiting to gently caress off scored a lot of points for me.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

TurboDrizzle posted:

I think you lot are mistaking rosberg "working hard and being determined" for "barely holding it together" and being constantly on the verge of an "I'm in over my head" panic attack for a few months on end.

No matter how much good luck went his way and how hard he tried Hamilton was always either on his tail or gaining quickly in points. He pretty much said so himself after Abu Dhabi

Ok we get it, Lewis was your MWDC for 2016, let's shut the gently caress up about it already and move on.

Flesh Croissant
Apr 23, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

enri posted:

Ok we get it, Lewis was your MWDC for 2016, let's shut the gently caress up about it already and move on.

:same:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I look forward to Vettle speaking in Italian for 5 min on team radio after he wins the next race

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Here's an article that tries to apply some science to the driver vs car situation

https://sports.vice.com/ca/article/why-lance-strolls-car-matters-more-than-his-skill-in-rookie-f1-season

quote:

That number, it turns out, is 61 percent; in other words, driver performance accounts for less than 40 percent of the variance in results. The rest is governed by the car.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
Is Newey still involved with the design process? I thought he took a step back this year or last year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
He stepped back in 2015/16 to work on boats and something for Aston Martin. 2017 is a Newey car and it's still mind boggling that they decided to be so secretive with what they had come up with that they didn't run with the aero on the car during testing.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

1500quidporsche posted:

Gotta have Vettel for the ABL factor but telling Whiting to gently caress off scored a lot of points for me.

Watch that comes back to bite him in the rear end at some point this year.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Ferrari has to do more than just catch up to be real title contenders. I'm not sold on them yet. They're still Ferrari.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Ferrari has to do more than just catch up to be real title contenders. I'm not sold on them yet. They're still Ferrari.

Bold Prediction: Ferrari will gently caress up their strategy and cost them a win at at least 3x different GP's

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

The haas turbo catching fire worried me a bit about Ferrari reliability.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

Here's a post from that guy who claims to be a (now former) Honda engineer: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=18874&p=686622#p686622

This is a good share, thank you for reposting. Interesting he notes that the PU is highly stressed (duh) but that he specifically calls out the top end of the motor. Maybe that's where the whole motor shaking itself is coming from?

Really makes you wonder what could have been if McLaren and Honda didn't rush in and actually allocated the proper amount of time to develop the motor in-house then paired it with the Size Zero concept. It would appear this engineer has some glimmer of hope it for the 2017 motor. :unsmith:

GramCracker fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 30, 2017

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Ferarri customer teams have the 2016 engines iirc. The saubers defiantly do.

I would wonder if they have to because without Ferrari's funky new cooling system in the side pods the 2017 engines would overheat.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

GramCracker posted:

This is a good share, thank you for reposting. Interesting he notes that the PU is highly stressed (duh) but that he specifically calls out the top end of the motor. Maybe that's where the whole motor shaking itself is coming from?

Really makes you wonder what could have been if McLaren and Honda didn't rush in and actually allocated the proper amount of time to develop the motor in-house then paired it with the Size Zero concept. It would appear this engineer has some glimmer of hope it for the 2017 motor. :smith:

It's interesting that he thinks it will take 4-6 months to solve the reliability issues, and presumably allow the engine to operate at full power, as that roughly lines up with when Hasegawa expects their upgraded engine to arrive (I think he said Juneish).

learnincurve posted:

Ferarri customer teams have the 2016 engines iirc. The saubers defiantly do.

I would wonder if they have to because without Ferrari's funky new cooling system in the side pods the 2017 engines would overheat.

Only Sauber does. Haas has the current engine. Sidebar: Sauber will supposedly have Honda engines next year.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

It's interesting that he thinks it will take 4-6 months to solve the reliability issues, and presumably allow the engine to operate at full power, as that roughly lines up with when Hasegawa expects their upgraded engine to arrive (I think he said Juneish).

That was going to be my next comment; very neat how everything appears to line up time-wise.

#BelieveInMcLarenHonda

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

HJB posted:

I have no clue what you just said

E: never mind. Long day at the office

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Mar 30, 2017

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

Norns posted:

The haas turbo catching fire worried me a bit about Ferrari reliability.

Haas have their own in-house designed cooling system so it's not as likely to be an issue for the factory cars

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

wicka posted:

Villeneuve isn't a fraud because the didn't deserve the title he won, he's a fraud because he's been completely and totally useless since then, and is an embarrassment to himself on a level Lewis couldn't even hope to match.

IMO, JV's slide down the toilet really began in 2001. He got some pretty good runs out of the lovely '98 Williams and the '00 BAR, but it's been all downhill since BAR brought in Panis to be his teammate and stopped revolving around him (and probably his crash in Melbourne that killed a marshal as well).

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Fauxhawk Express posted:

IMO, JV's slide down the toilet really began in 2001. He got some pretty good runs out of the lovely '98 Williams and the '00 BAR, but it's been all downhill since BAR brought in Panis to be his teammate and stopped revolving around him (and probably his crash in Melbourne that killed a marshal as well).

Maybe he was cursed by Ace of Base not releasing their collaboration single after his WDC win.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4tpkCgONUA

Don't gently caress with the Swedes.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Nando ousts lewis to become everyone's driver of their heart

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-survey-latest-alonso-emerges-as-most-popular-driver-887904/

Tony Montana
Aug 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
oh yeah JV did music like Lewis. I've never heard any. Lets have a look..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVn5EvRveM

That's.. annoyingly bad. I guess after you've been a WDC you get some hosed ideas in your head like you can do ANYTHING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
JV went to poo poo because of his manager at the time who accelerated his utter decline.

• Locked thread