Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don't think they have a firm design for the aeroscreen yet. They just recently settled on one screen design for oval/roads (i guess they were toying with two separate designs that teams would swap). But yeah, I agree, probably would be good to at least show something there.

I'm surprised that the nose is that much shorter, going to make the cars look a good deal less 'darty' in oval trim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cygni posted:

I'm surprised that the nose is that much shorter, going to make the cars look a good deal less 'darty' in oval trim.

Agreed, that was my first reaction too. Hope it isn't compromising driver foot protection to do so.

I do get a kick out of just how dramatically the DW12 can be changed while still being "a DW12". As much as I liked the days of new developments in chassis every year, the only thing the DW12 hasn't done yet is a 237.5MPH lap at Indy. And I'm not sure what that would prove to anyone.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

Agreed, that was my first reaction too. Hope it isn't compromising driver foot protection to do so.

I do get a kick out of just how dramatically the DW12 can be changed while still being "a DW12". As much as I liked the days of new developments in chassis every year, the only thing the DW12 hasn't done yet is a 237.5MPH lap at Indy. And I'm not sure what that would prove to anyone.

The nose cone won't have any impact on the tub and driver safety since it's a fully detachable & replaceable piece (also tethered on ovals)
It's such a tribute to Dan that the core of the car has pretty much been the same since 2012, yet will have 3 distinct "eras".

Interesting sidenote, I like how the holes in the floor will remain but the sidefins on the floor have reversed direction.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

It should be said to that back in the extreme development era the changes were incremental as well. In 1999 for example Adrian Fernandez's car in the early season was actually a Reynard 97i with 98i/99i aero and suspension parts and was very competitive.The tubs themselves were usually not radically different.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Human Grand Prix posted:

It should be said to that back in the extreme development era the changes were incremental as well. In 1999 for example Adrian Fernandez's car in the early season was actually a Reynard 97i with 98i/99i aero and suspension parts and was very competitive.The tubs themselves were usually not radically different.

I was thinking more pre-IRL, late '80s / early '90s. To be fair, a lot of that dramatic change was the result of changing from skinned alloy frames to composite monocoque.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm just glad the airbox is gone.

Looks like a proper IndyCar now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Does anyone remember that story of a sportscar tub that last like 13 years and kept being refreshed, but was the same original tub? I want to say it started as like a Courage C65, but ran under like 6 different names over the years (C65, C75, ARX01, ARX03, OAK, Morgan) before finally being retired last year. I probably screwed up like 80% of the facts in that story, but it was something like that. Gotta beat that record.

I guess you theoretically could have run an '03 Dallara tub until '11, although I think the oldest still running was an '06. And a '12 tub until at least 2020 now.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

Does anyone remember that story of a sportscar tub that last like 13 years and kept being refreshed, but was the same original tub? I want to say it started as like a Courage C65, but ran under like 6 different names over the years (C65, C75, ARX01, ARX03, OAK, Morgan) before finally being retired last year. I probably screwed up like 80% of the facts in that story, but it was something like that. Gotta beat that record.

I guess you theoretically could have run an '03 Dallara tub until '11, although I think the oldest still running was an '06. And a '12 tub until at least 2020 now.

Reminds me of an old restrictor plate cup car that started out as a 97 Thunderbird and was racing a few years ago as a Charger.

But also didn't hear about a Courage that got updated over and over with help from Oreca I'm betting.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Are they getting rid of the "not-a-fender" over the back wheels?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Peanut President posted:

Are they getting rid of the "not-a-fender" over the back wheels?

If I remember right, road courses won't. High speed oval courses will still have them because that's when they're needed most. Could be wrong.

e: derp :downs:

iospace fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Mar 29, 2017

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

The tale of the Jaguar XJR14 is a pretty good one, too - started as the Jag in Europe and the US, Mazda ran it in the WSC as well with a Judd engine, and then a couple of the chassis were cut up and became the Porsche WSC-95 that won Le Mans in 1996 and 1997.

[Edit] also that render now looks like a Proper IndyCar once more. Good work.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

As expected hhGregg is off of Marco's car for the year. Unexpected (as they were like a hair away from suing each other last year), UFD is back as a full time primary.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/139200-ufd-returns-to-indycar-with-marco-andretti

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Marco is a sponsor's dream since he's guaranteed airtime because of his name and the inevitable caution where we'll spend a few minutes focused on the remnants of his car.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/jakequery/status/847520736940085256

That car really does look special.

Also lol at them mixing up Al Sr. and Al Jr.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Indy Star has been a poo poo paper for a long time.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Minto Took posted:

yep

although back when I worked retail during the '08 election season, it was fun to read the Let it Out section (where anonymous readers can submit snippets of their opinions) in the break room, which was usually full of "you better listen to your elders this time kids and DON'T vote for Obama" crap

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minto Took posted:

I mean, they published a photo of my brother watching Carb Day back in '93.

So at least that long.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Cygni posted:

Unexpected (as they were like a hair away from suing each other last year), UFD is back as a full time primary.

Related:

https://twitter.com/michaelandretti/status/847570600247922688

E: (in response to an inquiry if UFD stiffed them previously)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

tracy and townsend in the booth again this year, ha

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Fauxhawk Express posted:

yep

although back when I worked retail during the '08 election season, it was fun to read the Let it Out section (where anonymous readers can submit snippets of their opinions) in the break room, which was usually full of "you better listen to your elders this time kids and DON'T vote for Obama" crap

Hey youtube comments sections for baby boomers. that's nice of them.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

http://www.indycar.com/News/2017/03/03-31-Added-2018-car-images

:shlick:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

That's the oval car I assume.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

This is extremely good.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

This is very much my poo poo.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Get hosed airbox.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In which TK lovingly fondles some carbon fiber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwR4PgtMZLw

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Human Grand Prix posted:

That's the oval car I assume.

Yeah that's definitely the speedway package and looks amazing. They always release the speedway stuff first since it's the easier package to build.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Indycar put up the '97 LBGP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIGqlVM7DdM

"Possibly the most important race of the year" :sigh:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

IOwnCalculus posted:

That's a drat good quality video for 1997 though. Also, I greatly appreciate Indy doing this, unlike another open wheel series.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

IOwnCalculus posted:

Good race. '97 is one of the best ever seasons and my personal favourite.

One thing about this race; I recognize all of the drivers in the race except for one, Paul Jasper. I have no idea who the gently caress this guy is or where he came from, and vanished into thin air after this season.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

IOwnCalculus posted:

God drat Bob Varsha sounds young in that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
LBGP '98 is the best one IMO

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

LBGP '98 is the best one IMO

It is.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I'm at IMS on the turn 2 mound, they just canceled today's test, immediately two SUVs with drivers come up to sign autographs for the crowd.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 1, 2017

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Ok, that's super classy.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

https://twitter.com/jrhildebrand/status/848213458491514880

Innnnnnterestinh

E: oh apparently that's not actually him or something

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

https://twitter.com/jrhildebrand/status/848213458491514880

Innnnnnterestinh

E: oh apparently that's not actually him or something

I wish that was indeed true.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The worst day of the year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
My kiddo loved running up and down the t2 mound, we're gonna try and go back tomorrow if nap works out. Is this doing parenting right? :3:

• Locked thread