Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
ARF, don't forget to assign order priorities.

I figure that the 21st has the most time-sensitive job, and that the artillery needs to start supporting them ASAP, while the 20th can afford to fail a roll or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Oh, that's a thing in the game? I'll look into it.

I asked Loel about commanders just before he headed off in roll20, he said it's a first come first serve basis. Running with that from the request for more dudes, here's a rough draft of who should have which brigades:

8th Division Commander: Tehan
23rd Infantry: xthetenth *
24th Infantry: my dad *
25th Infantry: sullat *
Artillery: professor_curly

* A person who said they would take one if no fresh recruits chime in.

If I stuffed something up I'm sorry, it's a pretty time sensitive thing. We should probably put a cut-off on this, if we aren't cutting it off right now. How does 1 hour from now sound?

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Mar 30, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I work 8-8 the next three days :v: I can read the thread, but my roll20 time is going to be limited. Tried to get everything done last night, but if there are still questions ler me know.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

one division commander bacarruda gets lost on the way to tallis sud

Loel, here are two plans that I'd like you to consider. If you don't confirm which one you want, I will default to Plan 1.

:siren: TRIN, CONSIDER THESE MY ORDERS FOR THIS TURN:siren:

Plan 1: Sab'ring the Gunners There
I go after the German gun lines around Steth, circle the town to cut all the wires, then try to make it home.

Trin, I apologize for the complexity in advance. You've been a champion working with the complex stuff my division has been throwing you so far and I really, really appreciate your patience with us :hist101:

Use Marching Orders on the yellow lines. Switch to Battle Order on the red lines.

**When I reach the first white circle, I'd like to apply a new set of conditional orders. For lack of a better name, I have called these "Aggressive Orders." When I reach the second white circle, revert back to the "While Moving" orders.

NOTE: If there is only 1 hour of night left and I am still not back on the British side of the river, head for the nearest forest and hide there until the next night. Once Night 3 falls, we will head back home using our pre-planned route.

Standing Orders -- WHILE MOVING
-Turn and move directly away from enemy if 3+ enemy chits are spotted. Once contact is broken, move around the enemy and then continue to destination
-If 1-2 enemy chits are spotted, launch a Cavalry Charge
-Pursue retreating enemies.
-Once enemies are destroyed, continue planned movements.

**Standing Orders -- AGGRESSIVE ORDERS
-When sighting enemy chits, launch a cavalry charge
-Kill all active enemies, then pursue retreating enemies.
-Once all sighted enemies are destroyed, continue planned movements.

TRIN, IGNORE THESE

Plan 2: The Long Ride. I hug the edge of the map, cut the Chemins wires, and then locate Tallis Sud. Then, with the hillside/escarpment always on my right, I move north and cut wires whenever I find them. I hole up in the Ferme Chatte and then wait for the next night to try and ride home.

Orders for Tonight (Night 2)
-Use Marching Orders on the yellow lines. Switch to Battle Order on the red lines.

-Turn and move directly away from enemy if 3+ enemy chits are spotted. Once contact is broken, move around the enemy and then continue to destination

Standing Orders -- WHILE STATIONARY
-Dismount
-Hide
-Do not fire unless fired upon

Orders for Night 3
-Head due south to the edge of the map, then hug the map edge and head due west until we reach the Bois de Blob. These standing orders apply

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Mar 30, 2017

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Option 1 seems safer, is there a reason you want option 2?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you're already going through all that effort, might as well take a tour of La Dand and cut the cables there instead, alongside entering the main objective, and there's less chance of getting lost, too. :v:

I mean, it's almost certainly not going to work, but might as well do it right. Don't expect nighttime precision movement offroad.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division

(this is turning into one weird family tree)

Preliminary Division Orders:

Using the extremely scientific and fair system of 'top to bottom', xthetenth's 23rd and mydad's 24th brigades will enter the map from the easternmost possible point of the northern side. They will advance with all speed towards Foret de Effyaders, secure the forest from the vile Hun, and then take up defensive positions complimenting that of the 21st.

Keep in mind the possible scenarios:

1) That the Northern Plan is a complete success, and you arrive as the 21st is holding off the enemy super-brigade on the other side of the river.
2) That the Northern Plan is a partial success, and you arrive as the 21st is being charged by or already in combat with the enemy super-brigade.
3) That the Northern Plan is a failure, and you have no support from the 21st and you have to sweep the forest for said super-brigade.

In the case of the third scenario, your main priority will be to intercept the super-brigade before it is able to beeline our artillery.

Sullat's 25th brigade and professor_curly's artillery will also be arriving six turns into the next turn. If all went as planned, all you will have to do is make your way into position - Effyaders for the 25th, the Valee for the artillery - and await your next orders at dawn. However, if everything went to poo poo, your orders will be containment - take up firing positions ready to pound any Germans attempting to leave the western or south-western edges of Effyaders forest.

SUPERCEDED

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 31, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I believe it would be for the best if 23rd and 24th took up positions on the West edge of Foret de Effyaders. We can dig trenches, and lay down a line of barbed wire overnight. We've been aggressive this whole battle. We're keeping up the pretense that we're going to continue being aggressive. How about we use the opportunity this is giving us and finally set up an actual defensive line that can hold off a significant German force? The 25th can fortify in the South, and put anything that tries to cross the center into a dangerous amount of crossfire.

The 21st will either succeed, and hold the line near the fords, or it won't. If it succeeds, it's likely going to be able to hold the line on its own until morning, and then retreat. If it fails, and the rest of our brigades advance, we are at risk of attacking an entrenched enemy, at night, in the rain, with possible enemy artillery support, and an unknown number of hostile reinforcements coming our way. (In addition, if we can make it til morning without fighting anyone, we won't get an exhaustion tick, meaning we can fight for two days without major issues)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can we sacrifice the Foret de Effyaders without having to move the entire defensive line back a step, though?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tehan posted:

Can we sacrifice the Foret de Effyaders without having to move the entire defensive line back a step, though?

We're not sacrificing it. We'd be fortifying in the West part of it, we'd still be inside the forest. It's a foothold into the forest to later launch a counterattack from, and a strong defensive position in of its own. And we're more likely to stay concealed there until we finish setting up our fortifications.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
As long as we set up defenses along the outskirts we can. Anything else and we will have to at least pull back the top 1/4-1/2 of our defenses.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Actually, I think the best use for Barracuda, if he can get those cavalry reinforcements, would be for him to do an audit of the river and try to see if there are any new bridges being built/shoot up engineers that are trying.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Basically, what I have in mind is a slightly concave extension of that trench+barbed wire we have on the FdE road, plus another brigade fortifying in the SW corner both supporting the brigade above and keeping watch on the center road.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

professor_curly posted:

Actually, I think the best use for Barracuda, if he can get those cavalry reinforcements, would be for him to do an audit of the river and try to see if there are any new bridges being built/shoot up engineers that are trying.

Yeah. The YOLO charge is basically a "we can afford to lose a single chit on this, and it'd be hilarious if it works, but no biggie if it doesn't".

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

professor_curly posted:

Unfortunately, Trin has axed me getting cav reinforcements. Those 8 cav chits were were supposed to get will not be arriving. Instead, we will get 8 infantry chits as reinforcements at a later time.

If I had any hope of getting more cav on the map, then I wouldn't be considering making such a bold ride.

Loel posted:

Option 2 seems safer, is there a reason you want option 1?

The riskiest plan -- going after their artillery, will cause the most disruption to their artillery, which seems to be their biggest advantage over us. If I can kill some guns and force them to pull front-line troops back to defend their guns for fear of another attack, then it'll be worth it.

And since my ride will probably end in certain death, I'd rather go out killing some Huns with a sword than get sniped trying to cut down a telephone pole.

My division has spent this entire game doing recklessly brave things, violating common sense, and dying horribly for its trouble. I might as well do the same. :hist101:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
If you want glory, go take La Dand. :cheeky:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

He wants to follow in the footsteps of General Pere, clearly

Edit: killing their south engineer and hitting their gunline with a "lost" division commander has a lot of potential imho. Rerouted scout plane and brigades, even.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I'll be posting orders when I get home and will hang in the roll20 a bit.

I don't think we want our arty all in the valley though - i think we'd get better coverage if we set up north and south.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Agreed. I was going to set up in the north behind Foret de Effyaders as soon as possible to continue the bombardment of the road/fords after your guns ran out of ammo.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It may make more sense for you to set up in or near the trenches that I will be setting up to the north as they have been positioned so that no machine gun fire can even offer support to any infantry out in the open and the barbed wire will give your guns time to shoot at anything coming out of the forest.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I believe there may be a misunderstanding here. What infantry out in the open?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

if you don't have orders in yet I strongly suggest you get on with it

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

my dad posted:

I believe there may be a misunderstanding here. What infantry out in the open?

I am talking about if the enemy infantry push out past Effyaders de Foret.

Anyway my orders are already in.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Trin Tragula posted:

if you don't have orders in yet I strongly suggest you get on with it

We have a problem here since two of the brigade commanders haven't even posted yet about accepting their post.

e: And you kinda left the impression that we might have longer than usual to make our decisions. I'll get right around to making orders for my brigade, but I can't make a promise on behalf of others.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Available staff please write emergency orders as needed.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I won't be able to submit anything until this weekend, if someone could do emergency orders for the 25th I can take over next time around. And also catch up on what our general plans are.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I don't think I'll have time today to write anything, but maybe I could do something late tonight.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Mapless, on the way home emergency orders for the RFA

Turn 1
All guns in range, fire on northernmost trench in foret effyaders

Turn 2- onwards

Fire indirect at maximum range around the ford to the immediate east of foret effyaders trench.

Edit: thinking about it, and doing this precisely without maps (!!)

Drop artillery half way between the northernmost spur of the effyaders trench and both the east and north east fords.

Conditionals

If enemy comes into sight range, or engages us with rifle fire, disregard planning orders and fire at these new targets. Over open sights if need be - as our French allies say on knee passay Paz!

If no targets are sighted within 12", limber up on the second last night turn and prepare to move

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Mar 30, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So who needs emergency orders?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I will, for the 25th

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OBSOLETE

General Pater Meus the Younger, 24th Infantry Brigade

Note to Division commander: I can change my orders later, if this is in disagreement with what your orders allow me to do.

Deploy in the NE edge of the deployment zone, and advance like this:

This is the formation to advance in: (I placed the lines so that they're about as distant as the diagonal length of a chit, in case I somehow get caught by indirect fire, also the gaps between chits in a line are there on purpose, but I'm not gonna ask of you to spend forever arranging the formation. Just the general gist of it should be fine)

This is the formation to be assumed on arrival:

(The barbed wire placed here is a suggestion for our newly arriving engineers, whenever they get around to it)

The distance between the back and center line is slightly more than the size of a chit, the middle row is meant to be able to shoot as far into the woods as the front row can see, while the back row can maybe shoot between the gaps to hit anyone attacking the front row in melee. The chit next to the artillery is meant to literally be "in touch" with lenoon's artillery so that I can maybe have direct fire support if I'm attacked here.
I hope this helps.

Standing orders while on the attack:
Initiate bayonet charge
Turn to face the enemy
Do not pursue
Fight to the death

Standing orders while on the defense:
Shoot
Do not pursue
Fight to the death

Hunt11 posted:

So who needs emergency orders?

If the other infantry units in the division don't make them in time, I'll do them, since I've got the time and roll20 open with adequate chits right now.

my dad fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 31, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

I am 100% not going to be able to make maps for today due to work craziness and as evidence I will submit the last several pages of the milhist thread without me jumping in and saying "actually...."

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

yeah, no, I've got more to do here than I expected, you've definitely got until tomorrow 5pm

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
OBSOLETE

:siren: EMERGENCY ORDERS :siren: for the 23rd Infantry Brigade

Mostly identical to the orders for the 24th here, with this as the final formation:

e: ^^^^ Oh, well, xthetenth can make his own orders then, cool.

my dad fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Mar 31, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
ProfessorCurly and I had a really long discussion on Roll20. tl;dr, we have very different plans, someone ranked above us has to make the call, preferably while understanding both plans. My current orders are a holy poo poo we need something right the gently caress now kind of thing. They can be changed.

We need to start coordinating right the gently caress now. Because if we half-rear end this, or have half our brigades following one plan, and half following the other plan, we're hosed.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Would you like me to post my plan, then you post your plan and then we have someone pick?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

professor_curly posted:

Would you like me to post my plan, then you post your plan and then we have someone pick?

Sure.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
My Dad: Is the plan to have the second brigade complete the loop and guard the west side of the forest? If not then I am already seeing issues with your plan.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ill be online in 6 hours either way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

My Dad: Is the plan to have the second brigade complete the loop and guard the west side of the forest? If not then I am already seeing issues with your plan.

I'll wait for Curly to explain his plan before I post mine, but:

• Locked thread