Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
switch emulation isn't even remotely worth talking about unless it can simulate both docked and portable modes to a tablet or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I'd be less interested in emulating the switch than in putting emulators ON the switch.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

StabMasterArson posted:

people who are super anti-piracy are weirdos

:yeah:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

What if I plan on making a retro pie to have at home and loading a ton of games on it, but also will buy a switch and a ton of old school digital games as well through the Vc? (I want them on the go). Where does that put me? Filthy pirate?

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

parallelodad posted:

I'd be less interested in emulating the switch than in putting emulators ON the switch.

That's a completely differnt problem. I haven't heard anything about the guy who used some ancient Webkit vulnerability on the Switch to do... I don't honestly know what. He enumerated some syscalls and said that they resemble the 3DS ones or something.

Tbf, I haven't even tried to look it up either.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Me neither, I just recall playing SCUMM games on Wii, that would be fun with a touchscreen.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
The Switch is cheap and good. I don't know why I would emulate it other than to get free games, but there aren't any and the experience would be worse on the ones that exist so why.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Nolgthorn posted:

I don't know why I would emulate it

Well good, because there is no Switch emulator!

And you can get free games on the switch though piracy, if that's ever possible either. You can also get them though shoplifting, but I don't recommend it.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
You wouldn't download a Switch

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

Takoluka posted:

Emulation of a system that has been out for less than a month is pretty lovely, primarily because people aren't doing it for any reason other than to stick it to Nintendo somehow. Like, based on what I see online, there are people who want to spend literally hundreds of hours playing Nintendo exclusives while jacking themselves off to the thought that they didn't pay for any of them out of spite. Emulation of a system in 2017 is way less about randoms learning system infrastructure for homebrew and more about trying to get in on fandom discussion about how Breath of the Wild is just okay and not reeeeally worth $60 that they totally spent. Emulation as a concept is not a bad thing, but emulation as an execution is a piracy gateway for the extreme majority of people. When someone says they have an emulator, they're not saying "I have a PC program that simulates a system." They're saying "I downloaded Wind Waker and modded it with Dolphin, so I don't have to buy the HD one."

lmao

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

tap my mountain posted:

What's the point of emulating the switch if you still need joycons to feel the ice cubes clinking around?

You can connect the Joycons to a computer via Bluetooth and they show up natively so this wouldn't be an issue.

Nolgthorn posted:

The Switch is cheap and good. I don't know why I would emulate it other than to get free games, but there aren't any and the experience would be worse on the ones that exist so why.

I'd like to play Breath of the Wild at 1080p without frame dips but losing the portability of the Switch would suck.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

Back in the day I actually used to play legit store bought PS games on an emulator - we actually had a play station too, just found it more comfortable to play on my PC rather than on the living room TV (plus save states were a godsent :D ). Now that pretty much any PS/Xbox game worth playing get ported there's no point, eventually it'll get on steam. 's a shame Nintendo doesn't do this, I'm admittedly not very tech savy but I see no reason why Breath of the Wild couldn't be ported to the PC if they actually wanted to.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just like emulating a switch, there's no reason to absolutely have to buy a switch when you already have/already can emulate a Wii U. Granted this will change in a month when Mario kart comes out.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Avalerion posted:

if they actually wanted to.

I think this is the kicker here

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

Emulated or no, on April 28th, I am gonna unleash 200+ hours of Mario Kart 8 experience on a (mostly) brand new population of little mii guys who just got their fancy new system. It's gonna be a massacre. I can't wait.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

you should sell your switch and use emulation to play the great games that come out between major releases, when it's time to rebuy your switch

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!
I'm gone for 40 pages and come back to 3+ pages of people arguing about piracy and emulation. Yikes.

So what is the verdict on Has Been Heroes? Anyone disappointed with their purchase?

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

i just used my switch pro controller to play neo turf masters on my pc after buying it for switch, eat a dick nintendo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

FireMrshlBill posted:

I'm gone for 40 pages and come back to 3+ pages of people arguing about piracy and emulation. Yikes.

So what is the verdict on Has Been Heroes? Anyone disappointed with their purchase?

Nobody has bought it and nobody will.

I Am Frick
Mar 26, 2004

The lesser half
of Frick and Frack

Wheany posted:

That's a completely differnt problem. I haven't heard anything about the guy who used some ancient Webkit vulnerability on the Switch to do... I don't honestly know what. He enumerated some syscalls and said that they resemble the 3DS ones or something.

Tbf, I haven't even tried to look it up either.

The latest they've been able to do is find a security hole and read memory through the Switch. They're a long way away from homebrew or anything.

They have also found a way to reject system updates and keep it on the out-of-the-box version of the system.

They're also gradually working on cracking the game cartridges by currently analyzing all the pins on the memory chip and figuring out what each pin does.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I keep loving up in Neo Turf Masters. Am I over thinking it? I saw some youtube play and it looks like they go for 100% swing and don't change anything at all in regards to the aim of the shot/club/slice etc.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ventana posted:

Pretty much, yeah. This distinction came up in the latest Gaming Historian video where he went over old retail emulators that anyone interested should look at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGHul1PrXCE

This was a really good video, thanks!

It's worth noting that, out of all the console makers, I think Sony makes it the easiest to legally play their back catalog. PS1 and PS2 games can be purchased and played on the Vita, and PS3 games can be played on the PS4 and PC via Playstation Now.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

counterpoint: PS Now is pretty terrible for most people who don't have super great connections.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

PS now is poo poo for anything that is even remotely fast paced

Even with a good connection the latency is really noticeable.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

TFRazorsaw posted:

counterpoint: PS Now is pretty terrible for most people who don't have super great connections.

Eh, I played Uncharted 1 & 2 on Playstation Now on my Vita over a 20Mbps connection and I didn't notice any major issues besides the Vita's garbage Wifi.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ps now runs fine for me, when was the last time (if ever) you used it?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

lelandjs posted:

Eh, I played Uncharted 1 & 2 on Playstation Now on my Vita over a 20Mbps connection and I didn't notice any major issues besides the Vita's garbage Wifi.

I tried playing Sonic CD on a similar connection and it buffered so much I didn't even finish the first zone.

so I dunno. The service seems hit or miss.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Empress Brosephine posted:

Ps now runs fine for me, when was the last time (if ever) you used it?

Two months ago.

It runs fine, the latency is just very noticeable and it's never going to be a great way to play games.

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Let's rock out to more Metal Slug music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdrKMkOpQ2E

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just had a thought: if Konami hadn't fired Kojima, the crazy bastard would have probably ported MGS V to the Switch.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
i guess this doesnt apply to the switch really, but another really good way nintendo could clamp down on piracy through emulation of their other systems is by porting the VC to pc. that way they could offer an affordable alternative the same way some genesis games etc have gotten steam ports, which would also bring them in some money. its a two for one! thoughts?

Moop Moop
Aug 26, 2006

FireMrshlBill posted:

I picked it up and have enjoyed it for the couple of hours I have played. It is basically a turn based strategy roguelike where you have to decide how best to use each attack and spell from your three heroes as you roam around a map and get your poo poo pushed in.

The game is definitely difficult but the first two patches have focused on nerfing enemies and better in game tutorials. It's a niche game but if you don't mind games that border on unfair and turn based combat I would recommend it. I look forward to playing more and hopefully beating the second boss...

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

lelandjs posted:

I just had a thought: if Konami hadn't fired Kojima, the crazy bastard would have probably ported MGS V to the Switch.

gently caress that nonsense, we have carts and a portable system, time for a new Boktai.

Stux posted:

i guess this doesnt apply to the switch really, but another really good way nintendo could clamp down on piracy through emulation of their other systems is by porting the VC to pc. that way they could offer an affordable alternative the same way some genesis games etc have gotten steam ports, which would also bring them in some money. its a two for one! thoughts?

They'll never do it. Look how long it took them to realize it was okay to release a plug and play system when those have been a thing since the PS2/Xbox/GameCube days. And how well it was supported, at that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

I think they're still (rightfully) more interested in growing their business through hardware. Even with the Wii U, they apparently made more money than purely with software sales. VC stuff will probably remain an incentive to buy their hardware for that exact reason, which means it won't be on PC.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I think they're still (rightfully) more interested in growing their business through hardware. Even with the Wii U, they apparently made more money than purely with software sales. VC stuff will probably remain an incentive to buy their hardware for that exact reason, which means it won't be on PC.

yeah but it isnt an incentive at all to anyone willing to open up an emulator

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Phantasium posted:

gently caress that nonsense, we have carts and a portable system, time for a new Boktai.

They'll never do it. Look how long it took them to realize it was okay to release a plug and play system when those have been a thing since the PS2/Xbox/GameCube days. And how well it was supported, at that.

Don't even need the cart, the Switch itself has an ambient light sensor.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Amazon got some neon in better go get it!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Stux posted:

yeah but it isnt an incentive at all to anyone willing to open up an emulator

neither would putting them on the PC to begin with.

But I digress, I think selling hardware is more important to them than whatever'd they achieve with this.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing
http://amzn.to/2nkqQmf - Neon switch, order now for April 1st restock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Stux posted:

It may be good for them just to get more software out there. However, I don't see them making the same collections for the prices Sega sells theirs for. Nintendo would rather just keep it on a device you have to buy from them for prices they set. $5/NES game rather than $14.99 for 10 NES games like Sega steam collections or whatever.

Moop Moop posted:

I picked it up and have enjoyed it for the couple of hours I have played. It is basically a turn based strategy roguelike where you have to decide how best to use each attack and spell from your three heroes as you roam around a map and get your poo poo pushed in.

The game is definitely difficult but the first two patches have focused on nerfing enemies and better in game tutorials. It's a niche game but if you don't mind games that border on unfair and turn based combat I would recommend it. I look forward to playing more and hopefully beating the second boss...

Ah ok, will keep an eye out on more videos. Was between getting that and waiting for Rime using my Gamestop power rewards points and I ended up pre-ordering Rime instead.

• Locked thread