Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

garfield hentai posted:

I have not set foot in a grocery store in years. Nevermore will I bumble through endless confusing aisles like a pack-donkey searching for feed while the smell of rotting flesh fills my nostrils and fluorescent lights sear my eyeballs and sappy love songs torture my ears. Grocery shopping is a multisensory living nightmare. There are services that will make someone else do it for me but I cannot in good conscience force a fellow soul through this gauntlet.

Who's that, the guy who sells Soylent?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Krispy Kareem posted:

I think it's one of those YouTube only commercials. Kind of like the first Dollar Shave Club videos.

Which when you think about it is the best marketing. You pay to have it made and word of mouth makes people seek out your commercial as entertainment rather than passively wait for it to show up on TV. You just have to actually make a video worth talking about.

poo poo-eating children at the end always get me.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Krispy Kareem posted:

The knock-offs have even better names.

has anyone yet made theirs "The Stool Stool"?

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

mojo1701a posted:

Who's that, the guy who sells Soylent?

Did you remember reading this previously or did you think "Christ this is so bad the only person broken enough to write something like this would be the Soylent guy"?

either way yes

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

SpacePig posted:

It's stupid, but convenience can sell.
What's stupid about that? I'd say convenience is the number one factor in determining what I buy.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

What's stupid about that? I'd say convenience is the number one factor in determining what I buy.

Making things more convenient describes basically the entirety of technology. Nothing stupid about it at all.

Tackling animals or killing them with spears is hard! Let's just convince the animals to hang around us and we can just eat their docile asses whenever we feel like it.

drat it, some seasons there just isn't enough food! Hey I bet if we control how things grow we can ensure that we have something to eat most of the year. Then if we soak things in brine it'll keep and we'll never have to go hungry! Oh yeah!

Moving stuff around is really, really hard work. Let's make the livestock do it. drat it now they're making GBS threads everywhere. gently caress it, let's invent motors.

Now we've finally reached the point in history where we can devote resources and innovation to improving making GBS threads. Indeed we live in grand times.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Between the squatty potty and the bidet thing I added to my toilet, my anus is usually the cleanest part of my body these days.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

bongwizzard posted:

Between the squatty potty and the bidet thing I added to my toilet, my anus is usually the cleanest part of my body these days.

Useful, given your profession.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Bonus: It's sixth place with the exact title, and doesn't even appear for "some recipe".

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Here we go again:

http://time.com/4682388/nasa-trappist-planets-names/

NASA asks the internet to name the 7 new planets just discovered.

Looking forward to the day when a huge new space telescope sends back pictures of planet Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Phanatic posted:

Here we go again:

http://time.com/4682388/nasa-trappist-planets-names/

NASA asks the internet to name the 7 new planets just discovered.

Looking forward to the day when a huge new space telescope sends back pictures of planet Hitler Did Nothing Wrong.

Please, just not dwarves.

Edit: I thought I was being too cynical. :(

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Mar 3, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Seems like a Smart Marketing Move to me. It got us to talk about space news and think about how and why things are named.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Seems like a Smart Marketing Move to me. It got us to talk about space news and think about how and why things are named.

Also promotes space travel since it reminds us how dull and unimaginative our fellow Earth-dwellers are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

spog posted:

Also promotes space travel since it reminds us how dull and unimaginative our fellow Earth-dwellers are.

They can go on the B-Ark.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I'll have you know, I have several friends who are telephone sanitizers!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Planets McPlanetface!

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

garfield hentai posted:

Did you remember reading this previously or did you think "Christ this is so bad the only person broken enough to write something like this would be the Soylent guy"?

either way yes

The latter reminded me of it, and the former confirmed it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Looking forward to one day visiting PLANET OF TEH DONGS LOL.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Looking forward to one day visiting PLANET OF TEH DONGS LOL.

So, big weekend planned?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

You know what a tech company needs? It needs a rap about tech! And tech users! And the people who deal with them! We haven't seen that before!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jnf4msnVCQ

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/via-rail-passes-sold-out-1.4047338

Basically, the insanely expensive (and failing) rail industry in my country offered a great deal for our 150th anniversary - travel anywhere in Canada for youth for $150. Naturally, the response to this was immediate delight. Too bad their systems were down all day. They originally said passes would be unlimited, but have now since limited them to 1867 (year of confederation). The fury on their social media is hilarious and well deserved. gently caress VIA.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

The Golden Gael posted:

Basically, the insanely expensive (and failing) rail industry in my country offered a great deal for our 150th anniversary - travel anywhere in Canada for youth for $150. Naturally, the response to this was immediate delight. Too bad their systems were down all day. They originally said passes would be unlimited, but have now since limited them to 1867 (year of confederation). The fury on their social media is hilarious and well deserved. gently caress VIA.

Oh what a bummer! I was going to get one of those. It was wild for them to not anticipate that offer getting eaten up. Wtf were they expecting?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Cheers Canada goon. Apparently they were saying it was unlimited while they were on the phone with people still about the outage through the morning. How frustrating!

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

The Golden Gael posted:

There's points where it's half the price to fly vs. taking VIA rail. That seems incredibly wrong to me.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I wish that I qualified for this offer in every way, I would have jumped on that pronto. I'd love to take the Canadian (Toronto to Vancouver) for $150.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I just don't understand how extended rail travel is still a thing at all in the US and Canada. Seems like it costs more, takes longer, and you get less vs just flying anywhere. I really wanna take a big long train ride, but every time I check prices it'd be cheaper for me to just fly somewhere and stay the extra day or two in a hotel.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

I just don't understand how extended rail travel is still a thing at all in the US and Canada. Seems like it costs more, takes longer, and you get less vs just flying anywhere. I really wanna take a big long train ride, but every time I check prices it'd be cheaper for me to just fly somewhere and stay the extra day or two in a hotel.

People with romantic notions of rail travel are the only people who will do it, and the only ones who can waste that time are either rich or retired.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

For somethings it's cheaper. For instance, I used to commute from Toronto to Montreal a lot, and as a student the train is cheaper, and more convenient because both train stations are downtown.

The train across Canada is gorgeous but really not an effective way to travel, and is very expensive. When I took it it was mostly filled with tourists.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Eh. I take it because Ottawa/Toronto and Ottawa/mtl is cheaper than plane,more comfortable, and free wifi

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I've taken an Amtrak across half of America that took three days. It really is an experience you should try once honestly.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I want to take the family on an overnight rail trip before everyone ages out of the house. The cost is about twice what we'd usually pay, but gently caress it I'm going to experience a bar car at least once in my life.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Krispy Kareem posted:

I want to take the family on an overnight rail trip before everyone ages out of the house. The cost is about twice what we'd usually pay, but gently caress it I'm going to experience a bar car at least once in my life.

They used to have a bar car on the Metra train from Chicago to Joliet. I used to love to take the train down to see my friends in the burbs during rush hour so I could get drunk with all the lawyers and business people when I was like 22. They got rid of it though, but they still let you drink on the train between like 3pm and 7pm or something like that. I think my next vacation I'm gonna just bite the bullet and take a train from Chicago to Seattle and back. Spend nearly all of the vacation on the train, but gently caress it. Thats what I want to experience so why not.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jojoinnit posted:

I've taken an Amtrak across half of America that took three days. It really is an experience you should try once honestly.

i got halfway across america in one day driving, how friggin' slow are trains

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

mandatory lesbian posted:

If I remember correctly passenger trains have to yield right of way to freight trains. So every long trip is filled with hours of sitting at a crossing waiting for a giant gently caress off long other train to go ahead of you.

OutsideAngel
May 4, 2008
It's not just North America, I looked into taking the high speed train from Kobe to Tokyo and it cost substantially less to ride down to Osaka and then get on a plane.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

OutsideAngel posted:

It's not just North America, I looked into taking the high speed train from Kobe to Tokyo and it cost substantially less to ride down to Osaka and then get on a plane.

That's sort of a Japan thing. The trains know that you're only taking the train that far for one of three reasons: you're a large class of students in which case you have no choice, your business is paying for it in which case you don't give a gently caress, or you're on vacation/going somewhere the plane doesn't land in which case you also have no choice.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Its not like a straight highway, it merrily trundles through all these little backwoods places. I remember being shocked when we went through Amish country that Mennonites took the train to get places, for example. It really is an amazing way to see parts of countries that you totally miss by flying or driving assuming you have the time for it of course.

Solice Kirsk posted:

If I remember correctly passenger trains have to yield right of way to freight trains. So every long trip is filled with hours of sitting at a crossing waiting for a giant gently caress off long other train to go ahead of you.

Honestly don't remember this happening at all. We did stop in some stations for up to an hour though iirc.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The US is too big for trains. I wish I could just hop on a mag-lev bullet train and go to any state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

jojoinnit posted:

Its not like a straight highway, it merrily trundles through all these little backwoods places. I remember being shocked when we went through Amish country that Mennonites took the train to get places, for example. It really is an amazing way to see parts of countries that you totally miss by flying or driving assuming you have the time for it of course.

Honestly don't remember this happening at all. We did stop in some stations for up to an hour though iirc.

I was under the impression passenger trains didn't run on the same gauge as commercial hauling trains. That's not to say there aren't spots where they intersect.