Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Natalie from Werewolf has the same accent as Tommy Wiseau. I think she's secretly his cousin.

Not lumpy enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Evil Mastermind posted:

I registered my account, but there's really nothing there yet apart from the blog. The store links aren't even working yet.

Yeah, so far, you can basically choose an avatar, a favorite bot, your favorite episode and a few quotes (I registered as UncleNintendo). You can't really do anything with the profile yet.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Not lumpy enough.

Oh, I don't know about that. :quagmire:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
I take back what I said about the Russo Finnish movies. Just rewatched Jack Frost on Netflix and it's definitely a great episode and a competently made movie with a bonkers story.

Im also 30 minutes into Sidehackers and actually quite like the movie. Could be cause I like motorsports and have watched sidecar racing at the IOM TT. Feels like one of those 70s movies like Cockfighter.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Just came to me: it was KTMA, but I do love the poo poo out of Phase IV as a stand-alone film.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Phase IV is great. Saul Bass' only film. They recently found the full version of the ending montage. It's on youtube.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I watched Rocketship X-M because it's one of the landmark episodes (first Kevin Murphy and Frank) and that was one of the hardest movies to sit through. The wiki description of the plot is like 5-6 paragraphs and the first two or three sentences take up 3/4 of the movie.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

super sweet best pal posted:

Werewolf is always a good watch, one of their best.

Correction: Woooooarwolf

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Natalie from Werewolf has the same accent as Tommy Wiseau. I think she's secretly his cousin.

:monocle:

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:geno: That is abasahlootely fascinating

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:mad: "You and Noel is in it for the fame and fortune?"

:v: "Yes, we is."

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Ms Boods posted:

:geno: That is abasahlootely fascinating

Apparently she was also in some lovely cyborg movie co-starring Jackie Earle Haley and Tom Jane, wrote a kids cartoon called "Dwegons and Leprechauns", and is producing something called "Deadman's Bluff", which sounds like it's borrowing more from The King in Yellow than True Detective did.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
EDIT: Wrong thread

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gozinbulx posted:

I take back what I said about the Russo Finnish movies. Just rewatched Jack Frost on Netflix and it's definitely a great episode and a competently made movie with a bonkers story.

Im also 30 minutes into Sidehackers and actually quite like the movie. Could be cause I like motorsports and have watched sidecar racing at the IOM TT. Feels like one of those 70s movies like Cockfighter.

I'm sure you know this already by now, but boy does that movie go downhill fast. Apparently that movie is the reason they started watching the movies in their entirety before they choose them to riff.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Gavok posted:

I watched Rocketship X-M because it's one of the landmark episodes (first Kevin Murphy and Frank) and that was one of the hardest movies to sit through. The wiki description of the plot is like 5-6 paragraphs and the first two or three sentences take up 3/4 of the movie.

I actually like Rocketship X-M. Yeah it's slower than hell, but I've got a soft spot for those old sci-fi movies that try to be all forward thinking and having a MESSAGE, Like 12 To The Moon.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

raditts posted:

I'm sure you know this already by now, but boy does that movie go downhill fast. Apparently that movie is the reason they started watching the movies in their entirety before they choose them to riff.

Yeah but the real reason is because there's a rape or something in it and they realized there was no way to riff and make it funny.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Yeah but the real reason is because there's a rape or something in it and they realized there was no way to riff and make it funny.

Well yeah, that and pretty much everything after it is what I was implying by "going downhill fast."

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The whole movie does feel like a really weird bait & switch. Like the producer wanted a fun action film about a new motorsport craze, the director wanted a gritty revenge film, and they tried to have it both ways. I don't think there's any evidence that something like this happened, but it's the only possible explanation that makes any sense to me.

Edit: According to Wikipedia, the Sidehackers director later made a movie about cockfighting called Supercock.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I think more than any other MST3k movie, I'd want to hear a director's commentary, or at least an account of someone who was involved in the movie, on Sidehackers. The whole whiplash switch from "sport movie sort of" to "revenge for my raped/murdered fiance" just makes no sense, and I'd love to hear what the hell made that happen. Or what the crew's reaction was.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Exploitation movies have rape in them because that's what their lovely audiences expected, no matter the subject. It's like the singing in Elvis movies.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Whoa, lets not get crazy here. The 90's films are Grade-A enjoyable schlock. It's the Millennium films that suck.

How dare you, sir!

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-out Attack is the best thing that ever happened to this blighted Earth.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

rydiafan posted:

How dare you, sir!

Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-out Attack is the best thing that ever happened to this blighted Earth.

Is that the one that ends with the sub drilling into Ghidorah and the guy getting stuck inside?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is that the one that ends with the sub drilling into Ghidorah and the guy getting stuck inside?

It's Godzilla, and he doesn't drill inside as much as he pilots his sub into his mouth and gets swallowed, then escapes through a hole in his shoulder created by a drill missile.

But yeah, that one.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

https://youtu.be/d_o4yFjSWUw

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I dont like whatever this is

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

raditts posted:

So I finally finished Sidehackers. I have a strange opinion.

I actually think the movie was pretty decent for a cheap 70s exploitation film. The antagonist JC is crazy and a weird and entertainingly unique kinda way. The main dude Rommel is a good understated standard 70s tough guy. My opinion of the movie being actually quite decent is probably based both on what I tend to like in films AND the sheer number of films I've seen that I think are ALOT worse than Sidehackers. The way the "sidehack" came into play at the final showdown was unexpected too.

My even more unpopular opinion is that like 80% of the riffing was pretty bad. Alot of was plain old not funny or just didn't seem to come from a clever place in context of the film. So much of it was absolute throwaway stuff, definitely brought on by the fact that, as stated, the writers didn't know what they were in for when they started the movie. Interestingly, the 20% that was good was actually pretty funny. the repeated jokes about the fridge traveling and other stuff was really funny. But overall, did not enjoy the riffing and sometimes literally wished they would shut up and let me hear the movie.

Even weirder is that alot of the skits in between were REALLY funny. The skit which culminated in Mike appearing as JC in a spaceship with a Sidehack was really funny. The "terminology" skit was awful though, really did not like that one.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I was just listening to some industrial/electronic music from one of my favorite artists at work, and it's something I've already listened to and am a big fan of, but I didn't realize until today that this one has a bunch of samples from Teenagers From Outer Space in it. :xd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWCQfIazgM

I wouldn't have caught it except we just watched that like 2 days ago on Netflix. I think another track from this same album might have Kalgan from Space Mutiny too.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I was just listening to some industrial/electronic music from one of my favorite artists at work, and it's something I've already listened to and am a big fan of, but I didn't realize until today that this one has a bunch of samples from Teenagers From Outer Space in it. :xd:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmWCQfIazgM

I wouldn't have caught it except we just watched that like 2 days ago on Netflix. I think another track from this same album might have Kalgan from Space Mutiny too.

The Ministry song "So What" has a bunch of samples from The Violent Years.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

The Ape of Naples posted:

And Ricardo Autobahn's "The Golden Age of Video" samples both Eegah! and Parts: The Clonus Horror. Ok it samples a MST riff from the latter.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I have decided that Trace Beaulieu is the best cast member. Clayton Forrester is my favorite villain, Crow is my favorite robot, and he is my favorite Crow.

Discuss.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

The Ape of Naples posted:

Back in the early 1990s, that was one of my favorite songs, so I was pretty much floored when I saw "The Violent Years" on MST3K a few years later when it got to the judge's speech near the end, since the song uses a huge portion of it throughout. Prior to that I had no idea it was originally from an Ed Wood movie.

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Back in the early 1990s, that was one of my favorite songs, so I was pretty much floored when I saw "The Violent Years" on MST3K a few years later when it got to the judge's speech near the end, since the song uses a huge portion of it throughout. Prior to that I had no idea it was originally from an Ed Wood movie.

Same here. It was instantly recognizable since they use so much of it in the song.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I got this super gothy Italian orchestral Metal band Devil Doll's album and I always laugh when I read the liner notes:

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

rydiafan posted:

I have decided that Trace Beaulieu is the best cast member. Clayton Forrester is my favorite villain, Crow is my favorite robot, and he is my favorite Crow.

Discuss.

Your opinion is correct. I think that's about it.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Trace Beaulieu is a funny way to spell TV's Frank.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

Trace Beaulieu is a funny way to spell TV's Frank.

They are both amazing and their podcast is great. Their podcast was the impetus for my finally catching both Sunset Boulevard and LA Confidential.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Apr 2, 2017

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

remusclaw posted:

They are both amazing and their podcast is great. Their podcast was the impetus for my finally catching both Sunset Boulevard and LA Confidential.

Yeah it is, I've only heard a couple but they have great and funny rapport. I wish they would bring their travelling riff show to my town. :(

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
rewatching pod people for the first time in ages - it was my most viewed episode when i was a kid because it was the first i got on vhs

i never noticed that the opening credit footage is from a completely different movie, but that movie was galaxy invader!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iIKeAg3Qw

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

boner confessor posted:

rewatching pod people for the first time in ages - it was my most viewed episode when i was a kid because it was the first i got on vhs

i never noticed that the opening credit footage is from a completely different movie, but that movie was galaxy invader!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iIKeAg3Qw

That was a thing that distributor did. Get the rights to a movie and replace the title and credits using footage from another movie. I guess at that point it was considered a different movie so they could resell it.

I have no idea what the movie at the beginning of Cave Dwellers was, and I think Space Travelers was just a shot of a globe or something.

RiffTrax mentioned the Pod People connection when they released Galaxy Invader, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

boner confessor posted:

Rifftrax eventually did that movie. They also did Prisoners of the Lost Universe, clips of which were in the opening to Stranded in Space.

By the way, if you ever wondered about that tune they sing when they bring up mediocre movies from the 1960s and 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuWVyDBmuR8