Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

Except it didn't and people praised Bloodborne? Unless you're going to pretend that doesn't count even though people treat Demon's Souls as part of the franchise too.

I don't count bloodborne no, I thought that was clear by saying Dark Souls but if you need hand holding than here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Except it didn't and people praised Bloodborne? Unless you're going to pretend that doesn't count even though people treat Demon's Souls as part of the franchise too.

There's definitely much more praise circulating for Dark Souls 2, so it's possible that factors into some of it. But you are right that Bloodborne was never met with any major derision so their argument kinda falls apart.

I still find enjoyment out of playing Dark Souls 3 and I'm looking forward to reaching the DLC (in the Grand Archives now so shouldn't be long), but I do have legitimate problems and disappointments with the game because it just does not seem to understand how previous games in the series made their systems work, or it doesn't know how to mesh the systems into something entirely cohesive.

CharlestheHammer posted:

I don't count bloodborne no, I thought that was clear by saying Dark Souls but if you need hand holding than here.

Bloodborne was always treated by people playing as a part of the series so discussing how people react to entries of the series absolutely should include Bloodborne, though.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

The one weakness in the PS4 library is its lack of good racing games, and I'd like for this year's releases to fix that so I don't have to build a gaming PC.

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
Only DS1 has the "HE'S BACK" video so objectively this is probably the best one. Can you even get the Fathers Mask in DS3? I beat it 3 times and don't think I had one quite like it.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Obsurveyor posted:

It was fixed before you bought it, no code coming.

What do you mean fixed? Was it only people who bought it through Sony?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

DS3 also had the problem of its similarities and rehashed nature being a deliberate nature of the plot and setting. The game has you encountering tweaked versions of NPC's from the first game and the whole world is exhausted and waiting to end for good. Which is a bold choice, but it does run the risk of making the player just as fatigued. I beat it once and never touched it again.

I mean, it's a FromSoft game, they love that poo poo. A ton of similar elements have been appearing in their games since King's Field. Major plot points and characters carry over wholesale from King's Field to Armored Core to Demon's Souls and so on and so forth.

They've always loved digging into the idea of cyclical struggles that mean nothing and the fact that whatever minor changes you make you haven't fixed the root problem.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

All this Dork Soles talk has reminded me I haven't even bought Nioh yet :worship:PS4

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I liked Nioh more than Dark Souls 3 and I hope whenever FromSoft goes back to the Souls franchise/gameplay concept they take some things from it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Waiting a sale on Nioh because I was utterly poo poo at the demo.

Sorry beta.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry beta.

No need to be rude 😤

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh, though I guess I should add that I don't necessarily see the whole FromSoft reusing characters/themes/whatever as a bad thing.

Though really if I were to be totally honest I'm saying that has a lot to do with how much I want a Nine Ball reference in a FromSoft Souls-style game. Background element is fine, but a secret boss styled after it would be the best. :allears:

Edit: Hell, just a "Commencing Hostilities" from a boss would be good enough. :swoon:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Mar 30, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

An actual appropriate use of the adjective "iconic."

WipEout was the game-changer as a kid, I'm here playing little old sprite RPGs and then downloading 30-second .avis of that game blew my mind

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

All this Dork Soles talk has reminded me I haven't even bought Nioh yet :worship:PS4

Nioh isn't that good to be honest.

I liked it at first but by the end I was just waiting for it to end.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nioh isn't that good to be honest.

I liked it at first but by the end I was just waiting for it to end.

Same. Enemy variety basically kills it, and the bosses all can be solved the same way since you can break the game over your knee with your 5000 different tools

Its a good first try, tho.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Hello, I like all the Souls games but really hated 85% of SotFS's changes and it kinda ruined DS2 for me somewhat. Well, see ya.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I guess maybe ill play ds2 as my next souls game after bloodborne (if I ever beat bloodborne!!!)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Wipeout 1 using contemporary EDM artists in its soundtrack was huge and one of the main contributors to videogames entering the mainstream, or at least Sony advertising capitalising on it anyway.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There are a lot of people who praise ds2 a lot. Usually, when I question them a bunch about it, they cite covenants and PvP, which I guess is totally valid. But I do 99% of my soulsgaming single player or coop, so to get an idea of my DS2 experience, just pretend that there are no covenants or PvP. It's just fighting like 10 dragon riders.

I also think that NG+ being different is stupid and not "actually good​ ng+" like lots of people say. The "+" in "NG+" refers to you character, not to changes in the game. There have been a lot of people who say poo poo like "does x game have real ng+ like DS2 or is it just the same game at a higher difficulty?"

The same game at a higher difficulty with your endgame character is real ng+.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The complaints about dark souls 3s call backs have never made sense to me. I thought they were neat and never lazily executed. Like, there was a bunch of nods to earlier games but it wasn't at the price of just reusing assets.

I think they thought they were throwing something cool in for the fans. Unfortunately they didn't realize what a bunch of whiny dickheads their fan base was.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Snak posted:

There are a lot of people who praise ds2 a lot. Usually, when I question them a bunch about it, they cite covenants and PvP, which I guess is totally valid. But I do 99% of my soulsgaming single player or coop, so to get an idea of my DS2 experience, just pretend that there are no covenants or PvP. It's just fighting like 10 dragon riders.

Same

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

It's too bad that NG+ in souls is utterly boring and never really more challenging. I liked the DS2 thing, it kept the second playthrough fresh

That opinion is pre Scholar, tho

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Mr E posted:

Hello, I like all the Souls games but really hated 85% of SotFS's changes and it kinda ruined DS2 for me somewhat. Well, see ya.
What. Why do you hate lore-appropriate enemy placement? :mad:

Scorps posted:

They all have their own appreciable quirks and major "strengths" IMO, I don't understand what the point of comparing them so directly is.
Because things like how you couldn't use multiple of an item at once in 1 so in 2 they built an interface that's intuitive and easy to do, but in 3 they built it off the code base of 1 and made a new interface which adds an extra step and is stupidly worded ("Use selected" vs "Use")... That sort of stuff isn't down to "appreciable quirks".

A lot of my complaints about 3 are because they literally based it on the code from 1 so a ton of nice features from 2 were lost simply because they didn't exist in the code they were using, and they chose not to re-implement them - or in some cases chose to implement them in an entirely new way.

Snak posted:

I also think that NG+ being different is stupid and not "actually good​ ng+" like lots of people say. The "+" in "NG+" refers to you character, not to changes in the game. There have been a lot of people who say poo poo like "does x game have real ng+ like DS2 or is it just the same game at a higher difficulty?"

The same game at a higher difficulty with your endgame character is real ng+.
But it mostly is just that, certain bosses just get some help and they drop additional boss souls, just enough to add a tiny bit of variety/difficulty without changing it wildly.

Also, final point, the Bluemoon Greatsword loving ruled and now I want that in every From game instead of the boring old Moonlight Greatsword. Boooo.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Stuff changing is from Demons Souls. NG+ just being enemies with higher hit points is boring as loving poo poo.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

2 was a mix of good and bad features. I never liked being able to teleport everywhere and wish it hadn't made it into 3. Some of the QOL stuff was good though.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Vintersorg posted:

Stuff changing is from Demons Souls. NG+ just being enemies with higher hit points is boring as loving poo poo.

But like, NG+ wasn't invented by Demon's Souls or DS2. It's been a thing in games for loving ever. Pretending like traditional NG+ isn't "real" NG+ is loving stupid.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

veni veni veni posted:

2 was a mix of good and bad features. I never liked being able to teleport everywhere and wish it hadn't made it into 3. Some of the QOL stuff was good though.

The level design necessitated it. Dark Souls 2's world map is essentially 6 branches going out from the central hub of "Majula & the crossroads in the Shaded Woods", each of which terminates in a dead end. Heide's Tower and the Forest of Giants each join up in the Lost Bastille, but otherwise...

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 30, 2017

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

That wasn't really a 2 feature, that was first added in the DLC for 1 and Miyazaki said he wished they'd let you teleport to all the bonfires in the game to begin with.

Edit another one I remembered, what 2 DID add was highlights around every bonfire location to show if a lot of players were around that area at your level for multiplayer. Brilliant. Not in Dark Souls 3.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Mar 30, 2017

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Dark Souls 1, particularly the first half, feels kind of like a really happy world design accident when it had a world people still revere but hasn't been truly recaptured in later games. The closest I can think of is some of the middle of Bloodborne between the multiple entryways into Old Yarnham and the secret entrance back to Central Yarnham through the woods. But every time people say they want a return to the design of the first game over the teleporting and every game returns to it

Akuma posted:

That wasn't really a 2 feature, that was first added in the DLC for 1 and Miyazaki said he wished they'd let you teleport to all the bonfires in the game to begin with.

Edit another one I remembered, what 2 DID add was highlights around every bonfire location to show if a lot of players were around that area at your level for multiplayer. Brilliant. Not in Dark Souls 3.

1. It was expanded with the dlc update but 1 had teleporting midway through. You had to earn it first, though. That's what people miss with basically every game past 1.

2. That was actually patched into 3 recently.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I am so, so happy that DS1 is the only souls game that doesn't let you teleport everywhere from the start. I would be happier if none of them did.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

King of Solomon posted:

I am so, so happy that DS1 is the only souls game that doesn't let you teleport everywhere from the start. I would be happier if none of them did.

Same.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Trojan Kaiju posted:

1. It was expanded with the dlc update but 1 had teleporting midway through. You had to earn it first, though. That's what people miss with basically every game past 1.

2. That was actually patched into 3 recently.
I was referring to the fact that the DLC let you warp to every single bonfire, which is what Miyazaki wished he'd done for the base game.

Didn't know they'd patched that into 3, that's good!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I don't hate that they let you teleport everywhere after the first one. It makes sense. It also killed how satisfying it was to open major shortcuts and how cool it felt to get the ability to fast travel to major bonfires though. It also just made me feel like I treated the games with less gravity which was something I really liked about demons and Ds1

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

veni veni veni posted:

I don't hate that they let you teleport everywhere after the first one. It makes sense. It also killed how satisfying it was to open major shortcuts and how cool it felt to get the ability to fast travel to major bonfires though. It also just made me feel like I treated the games with less gravity which was something I really liked about demons and Ds1

I'd be okay with long distances between bonfires with appropriate shortcuts, I just strongly dislike that DS1 doesn't let you warp at all until lategame.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

veni veni veni posted:

I'm surprised there's no points in 3 where it temporarily gets disabled and you're trapped. I was really freaked out the first time when the body snatchers got me in Bloodborne and i started respawning in the jail cell and i didn't know how close the nearest bonfire was

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

About sidequests in Nier Automata:

- Do you need to do any of them for the different routes? Im on route B now.

- The ones that are cleared will stay cleared on the next route and not be marked as objectives, right? That's the impression i've gotten early on in route B.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Nothing is missable, except for one joke ending related to an optional superboss. Completed quests stay complete - incomplete quests start over when you begin a new playthrough. The robot who wants a bunch of money for research stays though, I think.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Attitude Indicator posted:

- The ones that are cleared will stay cleared on the next route and not be marked as objectives, right? That's the impression i've gotten early on in route B.

Some sidequests are A/B only and some are C only

Cleared quests stay cleared on the next route

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Sidequests don't matter for the main 5 endings.

Yes. Some of them may reset your progress if you do part of them but they aren't completed before finishing a route though.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I think a sidequest changed my main menu screen which was pretty cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Failboattootoot posted:

Sidequests don't matter for the main 5 endings.

Yes. Some of them may reset your progress if you do part of them but they aren't completed before finishing a route though.

Thanks for the info, internet person