Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

a demo of the PS4 version of Ys8 is out on the japanese PSN network if anyone wants to check it out

Oh snap ty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I finally finished Chapter 1 of ToCS 2. That was...a very long chapter haha

Some quick spoiler thoughts at this point:
gently caress those unwinable battles down the stretch, seriously. Despite this I like how they keep adding in more and more enemies and raising the stakes of the civil war.
Omfg I loved being able to use Sharon haha, she ruled pretty hard.
I love how off the rails this world/overall series has gone since Sky 1. I find it really hilarious.

This game is reaal good :)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ChiTownEddie posted:

Don't read if you don't want mechanics spoiler

You will see a poo poo ton more unwinnable boss battles

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Actually, I think you stop running into that mechanic after the intermission. (as in, do x% damage before the battle auto-ends/enemy wipes you with an S-Craft, not enemy is beaten, then LOLs at you and said he was holding back)

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Ys8 demo was fine. Felt exactly like Celceta except for the 3rd person camera, which was occasionally obnoxious. Flash Guard/Dodge still aren't interesting mechanics but they're still at least strict enough to feel satisfying to use.
It seemed like the other party members still get hit and get ailments while you aren't controlling them, seemed to happen more here than I remember either of the previous two games but I dunno if there are AI settings or not.

Probably the biggest issue is that playing it on the big screen on the PS4 makes it incredibly obvious that it's a low budget Vita port. Game does not look good, but at least when you're not in cutscenes its moving fast enough that you don't care.

I dunno, that's my takeaway from the demo. More of the exact same thing as Ys7 and Celceta.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

ChiTownEddie posted:

I finally finished Chapter 1 of ToCS 2. That was...a very long chapter haha

Some quick spoiler thoughts at this point:
gently caress those unwinable battles down the stretch, seriously. Despite this I like how they keep adding in more and more enemies and raising the stakes of the civil war.
Omfg I loved being able to use Sharon haha, she ruled pretty hard.
I love how off the rails this world/overall series has gone since Sky 1. I find it really hilarious.

Im at about the same place and my thoughts are mosty the same though i have one more to add:

Not sure if this game has more extraneous dialogue of if my tolerance is shot from playing ToCS1 right before, but i find my self skipping through large amounts of mandatory chatter that doesnt really add anything to the story and its starting to annoy the hell out of me.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Ys8 demo was fine. Felt exactly like Celceta except for the 3rd person camera, which was occasionally obnoxious. Flash Guard/Dodge still aren't interesting mechanics but they're still at least strict enough to feel satisfying to use.
It seemed like the other party members still get hit and get ailments while you aren't controlling them, seemed to happen more here than I remember either of the previous two games but I dunno if there are AI settings or not.

Probably the biggest issue is that playing it on the big screen on the PS4 makes it incredibly obvious that it's a low budget Vita port. Game does not look good, but at least when you're not in cutscenes its moving fast enough that you don't care.

I dunno, that's my takeaway from the demo. More of the exact same thing as Ys7 and Celceta.

I like that VIII looks like a PS2 game

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
SC was a very satisfying conclusion. I do think it was strongest in chapters 1-5, while Estelle was busy growing up in the absence of Joshua. Still not sure what to make of that fuccboi priest, don't trust him. Is there any extra dialogue if you bring him to the final fight?

Also, the writing is very Recettearish, particularly in Estelle's comebacks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phobophilia posted:

SC was a very satisfying conclusion. I do think it was strongest in chapters 1-5, while Estelle was busy growing up in the absence of Joshua. Still not sure what to make of that fuccboi priest, don't trust him. Is there any extra dialogue if you bring him to the final fight?

it's funny you'd say that considering carpe fulgur, the same people who translated recettear, did i think all of the base translation work for sc

also if you mean kevin, he's gonna be the star of 3rd

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Phobophilia posted:

carpe fulgur was involved in the localization so that might be why.

kevin is a good boy. you get some extra dialogue but it's mainly just him helping explaining the stigma stuff. the more interesting part if actually him against loewe.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
There needs to be fanart of Becky going "Capitalism, Ho!", or however one would say that in Scotland.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Capitalism, yasssss

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I really hope tits the third makes me like Kevin (which, to be fair, is extremely likely to happen because putting you in someone's shoes is a really easy way to establish some sympathy) because I don't think I would much like an entire game of him otherwise.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I just discovered there's a Ys strategy game on DS, anyone know if it's worth playing?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

To my knowledge it's really bad.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh well maybe someone will bid more than £5 for it in the next couple of days.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

In Training posted:

I like that VIII looks like a PS2 game

I was gonna go with "up-ressed Dreamcast game" personally. :v:
I think it just sticks out because it's on the PS4 and my brain is comparing it to other PS4 titles, I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I were playing it on the Vita.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Shinjobi posted:

Rean and Sara can become a thing now, so all doors should now be open to young Schwarzer.

Amppelix posted:

It already became a thing when I instantly slammed the Sara button whenever one was available in both CS games

My people. As much as everything about Rean screams "Needs an older woman to exhaustingly collapse upon", At this point I'm probably rooting for just ignoring it and using the canon option for 3.

I started a Suikoden runthroguh but catching with this thread is really making me want to drop it and just do a perfect run of FC since I never actually did that and try to actually beat SC instead of breaking down and crying over all the dialogue branches and conditional dialogue.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah, beating SC would be an excellent idea. I'm currently replaying the game and I'm doing two parallel playthroughs of the first few chapters but even I'm going to accept that I'm not gonna see every single line in the gigantic script that is that monster.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

e: the best kiseki protagnist is NOT dryzen. he's the worst

Whoa excuse me

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I got up to the Tower dungeon in Celceta and the midboss was enough to tell me the game wasn't going to suddenly get fun, so I just deleted it. What a massive disappointment. Dana is supposed to be better, right?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

I got up to the Tower dungeon in Celceta and the midboss was enough to tell me the game wasn't going to suddenly get fun, so I just deleted it. What a massive disappointment. Dana is supposed to be better, right?

If you didn't like Memories you probably won't like Dana either, because its just an improved version of a lot of the same stuff they've been doing since 7.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I can tolerate the party system feeling pointless and the dumb crafting if the bosses are at least up to the standard Felghana and Origin set.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They weren't really that stand out from what I remember. Similar to Celceta in design. One of the things I liked about VIII is that the weapon weaknesses aren't just stronger, they can also Break enemies so that everyone does critical damage to them. And swapping team mates doesn't jet you to their position anymore, it's just right where you're standing which looks weird but makes it much easier to play and swap on the fly seamlessly.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Just tell me if Galbalan shows up again in 8 or not so I know how to set my expectations there.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I have no clue what the story actually was because I don't understand Japanese but it didn't seem like he did. Adol does fall off a boat though.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I went back to 7 and gave that a shot. Only at the first boss in the Shrine but it seems a lot better actually. I like that crafting is to get you weapons instead (in addition?) of how it worked in Celceta. Healing items too, so they feel a bit more important here.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

The time has come, everyone. Yep, that's right.

Trails in the Sky

https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/847489252354949120

PS4 Avatars for NA are now up

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Needs more Maid Estelle.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Can I buy an avatar but when it tries to display it turns out not to be strong enough and another avatar has to come in and replace it?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a trails in the sky ova avatar but 15 minutes after buying it it gets replaced with joshua

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Can I buy an avatar but when it tries to display it turns out not to be strong enough and another avatar has to come in and replace it?

Yes. However, it will be either Toval or Olivier, 50/50 on either. Do you risk it for the chance of getting Olivier?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

apparently they are also changing Zane back to Zin which is what his name actually was

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Anyone know what the actual chances are of the Ys 8 PS4 story content being added to the Vita version are? No way in hell I can justify getting less story, but yknow, handheld comfort master race.

Already bought a few of the avatars for CS, I regret nothing.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Cake Attack posted:

apparently they are also changing Zane back to Zin which is what his name actually was

...So they have. Huh.

Guess they've been told by papa Falcom that Zane is actually the Grandmaster's name, whoops.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

patch 4.20: all instances of Zane's name changed to "you", "that guy", or "uhhhhh"

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Cake Attack posted:

Apparantly Brittany's gonna write a blog about it. Until then, I'm still not completely convinced this isn't one of those zany (ziny?) shenanigans that people tend to pull around this time of the year.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Mar 31, 2017

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Erpy posted:

Apparantly Brittany's gonna write a blog about it. Until then, I'm still not completely convinced this isn't one of those zany (ziny?) shenanigans that people tend to pull around this time of the year.

What if the blog's released tomorrow, though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cake Attack posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Yeah and Kloe used to be "Klose". And archaisms used to be "overmuppets". Not every Japanese term sounds good in English.