Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cephas posted:

That weird feeling when you realize that the auteur who makes exceedingly dark, morbid works might actually be a good person

He spent a huge chunk of his Saturdays the first couple of weeks after the game came out on twitter replying and thanking people for playing his game if they'd tweeted at him about the game, including in English even though it's not super easy for him.

He's definitely a sweet dude.

(He might still do it, I don't know.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cephas posted:

That weird feeling when you realize that the auteur who makes exceedingly dark, morbid works might actually be a good person

:psyduck:

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
gently caress I just realized that the storage space upgrades are +8, +16 and +24, and you cap out at 128 slots. :science:

it's the little things

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

Ixjuvin posted:

gently caress I just realized that the storage space upgrades are +8, +16 and +24, and you cap out at 128 slots. :science:

it's the little things

all of the flashbacks in route B for the forest king are dated by powers of 2

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Cephas posted:

So... all those horror authors out there... you suspect them all utterly hosed and beyond redemption or what.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Mindblast posted:

So... all those horror authors out there... you suspect them all utterly hosed and beyond redemption or what.

Its true for King and Junji Ito and H. R Giger was traumatized by the death of his girlfriend and had night terrors for the rest of his life

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

Mindblast posted:

lol

No, I don't think that. I think there are some artists out there who create very dark and dreary works, and sometimes it makes me wonder how they actually feel. Like if you look at someone like David Lynch. In Ebert's review for Blue Velvet, he has some clear disgust toward David Lynch for, in Ebert's point of view, putting his actresses in such demeaning roles. And his movies are pretty gruesome, and there's not always a happy ending or a whole lot of hope. But Lynch in person seems to be a pretty complicated person. He has this quaint manner to him and is very open and unpretentious, and he spends a lot of time and effort on things like transcendental meditation with the intention of bringing positivity to the world. You still get this kind of uncomfortable vibe from him. You get the impression that he's someone who sees a lot of darkness in humanity and wants to capture it, but that for all that darkness he's interested in, he's not actually that bitter or resigned.

On the other hand, you can have somebody like David Foster Wallace, who talks a lot about being made of starstuff, about empathizing and connecting with the people around you, and about not giving in to detached irony as a mode of existence. But when you read a lot of his creative works, they tend to be pretty anxious and pessimistic and have this feeling of resignation about them.

When I see works that are especially dark, where characters seem to be giving in to their lesser qualities and bringing about ruin because of it, it makes me wonder how the author actually feels. Sometimes, I think, the author is writing the story that way as a cautionary tale about their reckless characters. Sometimes they might not know how their characters, in the situations they're in, could actually achieve a happy ending, so they give them the only ending they can imagine. Sometimes they make me think, "oh, is this downer, hopeless perspective how the author feels about the world? Like, well, people suck and life is poo poo, that's my story?"

So I think it's pretty interesting to see how the creator of Drakengard, which from what I can tell is one of those hopelessly bleak and dark stories without much redemption in it, is actually really invested in creating a game (this one) that is socially aware and is interested in being progressive with his use of the medium.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Nier Automata is a dark story with a heart of gold.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

SHISHKABOB posted:

Nier Automata is a dark story with a heart of gold.

It's really, really cool and good, I love it and hope Yoko Taro keeps making amazing games. I was sad that he didn't respond to my twitter praise lol

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Route c question:

How the gently caress am I supposed to control, let alone beat the Engels vs Pascal fight? Is there a secret attack I'm missing? square is a slow attack and triangle is a slow attack. They don't seem to have any advantage and I don't understand how I'm supposed to be able to get my hits in first. Please, any tips or hints are very welcome. I've just been beaten by him 4 times in a row, dealing pretty much the exact same amount of damage each time despite switching up which attacks I'm using

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

cubicle gangster posted:

Route c question:

How the gently caress am I supposed to control, let alone beat the Engels vs Pascal fight? Is there a secret attack I'm missing? square is a slow attack and triangle is a slow attack. They don't seem to have any advantage and I don't understand how I'm supposed to be able to get my hits in first. Please, any tips or hints are very welcome. I've just been beaten by him 4 times in a row, dealing pretty much the exact same amount of damage each time despite switching up which attacks I'm using

I never even got touched in that fight. I just used the heavy attack immediately, and by the time the windup is done the engels is in range and gets hit. It gets knocked back a bit and I immediately hit the heavy attack again. Repeat til dead. No moving no nothing, just spamming heavy attack.

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Mar 30, 2017

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Hammer the slightly faster attack if he's close, when you hit him and he's recovering and a little farther away, hammer the slightly slower overhead swing and he'll walk right into it. Repeat until beat.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

cubicle gangster posted:

Route c question:

If he starts an attack windup it's too late to get your attack in since it's a mirror match. Holding down your evade button makes Pascal's Engels guard, which will negate all damage from an incoming attack and allow you a guaranteed hit afterwards, because you can start your own attack almost immediately while the enemy is stuck in the recovery animation.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Tarezax posted:

If he starts an attack windup it's too late to get your attack in since it's a mirror match. Holding down your evade button makes Pascal's Engels guard, which will negate all damage from an incoming attack and allow you a guaranteed hit afterwards, because you can start your own attack almost immediately while the enemy is stuck in the recovery animation.

If you block Engles has a chance to do a follow up smack and backhand you so maybe don't mash the button the second the first hit connects.

Really though I'd throw a punch and he just kept walking into it like a dummy.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
For those of you having trouble with Hegel, you can use healing items to extend b mode. It actually makes the fight pretty trivial. I stayed in b mode the whole fight.

You can also heal at any time, as long as you still have health. You can heal while in hit stun, in the middle of being combod, or whenever. As long as you're quick enough pressing down and popping a healing item, you'll never die.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The thing about the Pascal Engels fight is that everything both you and the other Engels do during it is super super slow and has a looooooong windup and a loooooong cooldown, and that includes moving. So, if you try to move in first and punch him, he's going to start punching before you finish moving and finish punching before you have a chance to respond, but if you let him approach you instead you can start your windup while he's stuck in his moving animation and catch him first. Once you land one blow it's pretty easy to keep following up while he's staggered, so you just have to make sure you start your first attack before he starts his.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Romes128 posted:

For those of you having trouble with Hegel, you can use healing items to extend b mode. It actually makes the fight pretty trivial. I stayed in b mode the whole fight.

You can also heal at any time, as long as you still have health. You can heal while in hit stun, in the middle of being combod, or whenever. As long as you're quick enough pressing down and popping a healing item, you'll never die.

I listened to the Pod and played it safe. It's pretty funny that the mode is introduced in a fight that gets harder if you decide to use it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Is there any known way to alter Emil's spawn location, or is it all random? I really want this kid's premium materials shop to re-open.

e: for anyone curious, the answer was "complain about it on the Internet and then kill yourself repeatedly"

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 31, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
or anything that reloads that area really, so just teleporting to and from camp can work

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RoadCrewWorker posted:

or anything that reloads that area really, so just teleporting to and from camp can work

That didn't work the first 25 times so I just got fed up and started repeating the same tactic that made me lose all the swag I bought from him in the first place. I'm sure it's just confirmation bias.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Its true for King and Junji Ito and H. R Giger was traumatized by the death of his girlfriend and had night terrors for the rest of his life

What's wrong with Ito? I don't know much about him beyond his works.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
He's a cat person.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Nuebot posted:

What's wrong with Ito? I don't know much about him beyond his works.

He was a dental technician once. Nah, he's a normal guy, I threw him in as a joke.

Edit

^^
Also that, probably

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Oxxidation posted:

He's a cat person.

So what you're saying is that he's the best.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Supremezero posted:

So what you're saying is that he's the best.

His cat manga is worth reading.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I did the boss. I'm not crying, you're crying.

anyway, just the endings to go now and that's the plat. Think I'll pass on all the intel bits and bobs. Did all the side quests though.

Also does anyone know how much the money trophy costs to buy? I'd hope something funny. To be honest, anything would be.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Ok, cleared the story for the first time. I already know there are multiple endings and I can't start another play through now. So what happened exactly, is it just newgame plus? Or a part 2?

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

BigRed0427 posted:

Ok, cleared the story for the first time. I already know there are multiple endings and I can't start another play through now. So what happened exactly, is it just newgame plus? Or a part 2?

Just start and see

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

It'll quickly become apparent but basically just know that you haven't got the full story until you have endings A-E

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

BigRed0427 posted:

You should really just wait and see, but if you absolutely must know, for some reason, the next playthrough will be as a different character. Don't worry, you will get all your chips and weapons and poo poo you already have. But it will be different.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf
I don't know that this question is a spoiler per-se, but I'll tag it just in case. Endgame
All I need to do now is get the 95% unit data for the Recon Squad quest, and I'm and 94% and cannot figure out what I might be missing. I guess I'm missing some rare variants on stuff, but cannot find any of them for the life of me. Any tricks to getting through this or is it just jumping around to respawn zones until you get lucky?

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Cephas posted:

When I see works that are especially dark, where characters seem to be giving in to their lesser qualities and bringing about ruin because of it, it makes me wonder how the author actually feels. Sometimes, I think, the author is writing the story that way as a cautionary tale about their reckless characters. Sometimes they might not know how their characters, in the situations they're in, could actually achieve a happy ending, so they give them the only ending they can imagine. Sometimes they make me think, "oh, is this downer, hopeless perspective how the author feels about the world? Like, well, people suck and life is poo poo, that's my story?"

So I think it's pretty interesting to see how the creator of Drakengard, which from what I can tell is one of those hopelessly bleak and dark stories without much redemption in it, is actually really invested in creating a game (this one) that is socially aware and is interested in being progressive with his use of the medium.

Yoko and I have never been out drinking together or whatever but I've spent some time with him in person. He's a nice guy who's obviously pretty contemplative and introverted, but not in a creepy or off-putting way. (As weird as that might sound of a guy who makes all his public appearances in an Emil mask or as a sock puppet.) As you can tell from his media presence in general he's got a self-deprecating sense of humor, and I think that informs and is informed by the worldview he presents in his work. I don't get the impression that he thinks life is poo poo, though now I wonder how different he might have been in person when he did Drakengard.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Section 9 posted:

I don't know that this question is a spoiler per-se, but I'll tag it just in case. Endgame
All I need to do now is get the 95% unit data for the Recon Squad quest, and I'm and 94% and cannot figure out what I might be missing. I guess I'm missing some rare variants on stuff, but cannot find any of them for the life of me. Any tricks to getting through this or is it just jumping around to respawn zones until you get lucky?

Go look at your unit intel
view an enemy type
hit triangle (or w/e) to swap between all the weapon variants
compare what you're missing with the wiki or something

yea it'll take a while. Last I knew the fextralife wiki was pretty bad, but maybe it's improved. It gave at least some pointers for finding some rare variants (mostly cribbed off some japanese site, so poorly translated).

there is a special enemy I know of that only appears in one spot in one chapter during the 'become as gods' section as 2B, there's a secret room. Unfortunately I forgot exactly where, but I think it's near one of the checkpoints, across a conveyor belt(?), and then down over a gap from some broken stairs... maybe. It's the Cult version of the quadruped model, the horsey/dog thing that can also stand on two legs for kung fu action.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The Fextralife wiki isn't great but it does provide a complete enemy list and gives locations for some of the more difficult to find ones. It should give you enough info to squeeze that last percent out.

I don't envy anyone who decides they've gotta have all those 100% labels

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Buyem

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Cephas posted:

The latter isn't unique to Automata at all. He's been self-aware of the absurdity of video games throughout his whole career and based on his presentations at GDC his whole mindset when it comes to game development revolves around courting the gray area of traditionally unacceptable game design that can push the boundaries of the medium. Automata isn't a case of Taro becoming good at what he does, he was always good but stuck in an environment stifling his full freedom of expression

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Mazerunner posted:

there is a special enemy I know of that only appears in one spot in one chapter during the 'become as gods' section as 2B, there's a secret room. Unfortunately I forgot exactly where, but I think it's near one of the checkpoints, across a conveyor belt(?), and then down over a gap from some broken stairs... maybe. It's the Cult version of the quadruped model, the horsey/dog thing that can also stand on two legs for kung fu action.

Yeah, I got that one, and your other advice is what I've been try to follow. I just hoped that maybe there was something easier because it seems like they made some of the other stuff easier once you got to a certain point.

Regy Rusty posted:

The Fextralife wiki isn't great but it does provide a complete enemy list and gives locations for some of the more difficult to find ones. It should give you enough info to squeeze that last percent out.

I don't envy anyone who decides they've gotta have all those 100% labels

This is really the first game I've felt like trying to get 100% on, and I don't really want 100% on the unit data. It's just that is the last quest I need for 100% quests, and the rewards will get me 100% Pod upgrades, and then I'm so close to 100% achievements and I've never cared about it before but for some reason I want to do it now legit even if I have to perv out with upskirts and watch a 14 year old boy in his underwear for an hour or whatever.

Oh god, what has become of my life.

Section 9 fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 31, 2017

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
has anyone else had a bug during the 9s mia quest where the yorha units simply don't appear? i watched a video, and there is nothing here. tried reloading the game, but i'm not sure what else i could do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

has anyone else had a bug during the 9s mia quest where the yorha units simply don't appear? i watched a video, and there is nothing here. tried reloading the game, but i'm not sure what else i could do.

Do you need to use the scanner to make them appear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you need to use the scanner to make them appear?

the bodies are supposed to be laying there, you need to use the scanner to check if they are alive. i don't have the bodies and there is nothing there even when i scan the spot where the one that tells you about 9s is supposed to be. i've scanned the whole area, which isn't difficult as flooded city isn't terribly large.