Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

The bosses in DS3 are mechanically (and generally visually) very solid to very great, but imo they kind of suffer from all being Artorias style 1v1 melee dudes that all end up playing out the same: carefully dodge multiple hit combo, get in a few attacks, reserve enough stamina to roll out of the counter, rinse and repeat. I'm exaggerating obviously, but not by very much. Bloodborne has a much greater variety of encounters while still being good fights. I do think Gael is an excellent boss, just because the design, arena, and movement style are so cool and From didn't make it an unnecessarily difficult pile of bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
WHEN YOU COME TO IT
AND YOU CAN'T GO THROUGH IT
AND YOU CAN'T KNOCK IT DOWN
YOU KNOW THAT YOU FOUND

THE WALL

the roll/l1 on that weapon is so busted lol

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's the best chime to use for healing miracles?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Tell me there's a secret to these angels. God, they're excruciating. This isn't fun. I'm only playing this poo poo out of spite.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Gael's greatsword is amazing; I just ran around a bunch in the Ringed City and waited for invasions; the best ones were duels with other people using it as well. So glad they made greatswords feel more worthwhile, no matter which one I tried in the main game they always just felt kinda useless compared to the Dark sword.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Yes there's a secret, explore the areas very thorougly and attack everything

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wow the DLC gets way better Demon Prince and onward. The murderswamp is great.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Bogart posted:

Tell me there's a secret to these angels. God, they're excruciating. This isn't fun. I'm only playing this poo poo out of spite.

Each one is puppeted by some gooey hollow fucker hiding out somewhere in the general vicinity. The good news is, once you find one and kill it, it doesn't come back.

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Bogart posted:

I mean, yeah... If you move through the area you'll eventually find a fleshy thing, it controls the angel or is the real angel w/e. Kill it and the angel will be gone permanently. The game also always gives you enough cover and time to dash from one piece to the other. In the swamp area my protip would be for the angel to cast the fog of light that curses you, that'll give you quite a bit of time to move to the next safe spot

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

mastershakeman posted:

Fume & Alonne are better, then Champ & Maria in 4th & 5th place . haven't finished this dlc yet though

Nah they are good but, FROM has yet to make a fight that tops Artorias but, they keep trying.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I liked Manus more than Artorias.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Artorias is just Allant and Penetrator fused together

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I think Manus was the introduction to insane combos.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I'm going to invade so I can try and find them because this is no fun. I see where one is but I'm not sure where to jump.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Minrad posted:

the roll/l1 on that weapon is so busted lol

I know it's hilarious in PvP but how viable is it in PvE?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

What's the best chime to use for healing miracles?

Probably the new filianore chime because it extends the healing radius and I think effectiveness.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Yodzilla posted:

I know it's hilarious in PvP but how viable is it in PvE?

It's... okay? It really lacks burst or consistent damage and in PvE you're usually better off just stunlocking something to death or chopping its head off in one or two blows.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

lmao I felt really smug when I saw the dragon fire the fire downwhere. "I remember that from Sinh!"

The superlaser wrecked me

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

There's a short cut to the second hidden controller if you drop off the cliff onto a root near a shack.

They're generally not far away from the beaten path. I found them all by accident

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Johnny Joestar posted:

is it possible to make a good int/luck build using the man-grub staff? it seems like stats would be spread a bit thin

unless something has changed with the latest DLC patch, you can make a character that's functional with the mangrub staff, but probably not "good" if you're talking about being able to plow through the PvE content or being unstoppable in PvP. the main issue with the man-grub staff (and incidentally, all of the other casting weapons that sub one stat for another) is that the staff allows you to attune sorceries as if your Luck were your Int, but the actual bonus damage or spell multiplier or whatever is still calculated based on Int. so basically, you use Luck to attune spells, but still do piss poor damage unless you boost Int too, and if you're going to boost Int too, then there's no reason to use a mangrub staff.

Anri's Sword that scales off Luck is slightly different because it can bleed and bleed is also (or used to be) positively influenced by Luck, and the weapon damage uses your Luck for damage too, and the weapon has next to no innate scaling for Str or Dex.

maybe you could use the mangrub if you were doing a Luck build for the Anri's sword anyway because then you could at least use spells with which you would otherwise not have access, but outside of utility stuff you probably wouldn't get much use out of the attacking spells because you'd likely have next to zero mana and no bonus damage from Int.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does this bridge dragon just have ten trillion hp or is there a gimmick? I can't reach the head with my longer weapons.

e: Ok gently caress this I'm coming back later. I keep clipping into, then through the bridge.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 30, 2017

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Pwnstar posted:

Ivory King was cool but it was also really poo poo because if you are doing co-op and more than one person attacked the same minion then your weapon durability starts plummeting.

Actually the one thing that sucks about Ivory King is that you usually can't co-op through the second half of it. I resorted to using Dragon duels and farming giant seeds off Armorer Dennis.

Bogart posted:

I'm going to invade so I can try and find them because this is no fun. I see where one is but I'm not sure where to jump.

lol yeah I also did this. Host was nowhere to be found so I could take my sweet time exploring the area without being constantly shat on by artillery bullshit. Sorry host buddy, hope I didn't keep you too long from whatever it was you were doing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Freaking Crumbum posted:

unless something has changed with the latest DLC patch, you can make a character that's functional with the mangrub staff, but probably not "good" if you're talking about being able to plow through the PvE content or being unstoppable in PvP. the main issue with the man-grub staff (and incidentally, all of the other casting weapons that sub one stat for another) is that the staff allows you to attune sorceries as if your Luck were your Int, but the actual bonus damage or spell multiplier or whatever is still calculated based on Int. so basically, you use Luck to attune spells, but still do piss poor damage unless you boost Int too, and if you're going to boost Int too, then there's no reason to use a mangrub staff.

It's the reverse. You so good damage but you can't learn any spells

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Wait, there are TWO lightsabers in this dlc?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

You might be able to learn some hexes considering there are only 2-3 worth using.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

This is correct.

These weapons have a weird special effect attached in a special field that alters spell scaling in strange ways. It interacts poorly with dual-scaling magic too, but I forget the details.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I mean I've said it before but at this point I prefer boss fights to be fun and memorable rather than overly difficult. Tough fights are fun, but a lot of them end up being duels with humanoid enemies because From isn't sure how to make giant monsters difficult. It gets old after awhile. One of my favorite fights in DS3 is actually Curse-Rotted Greatwood. Its not difficult at all but its a really memorable fight both in terms of what it looks like and how you fight.

Azuth0667 posted:

You might be able to learn some hexes considering there are only 2-3 worth using.

Is the new hex added in the DLC any good? I bet it looks super cool at least.

VVV The judicator keels over dead the second the spear arrives. There's never any reason to go near him.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 30, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like how the painting guardian and judicator are more fearsome than the pvpers because it never stops attacking and the big guy is just so massive.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Artorias isn't even the best boss fight in DS1.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I do like the great wood. I like most of the ds3 bosses. But I like the spectacle of the series more than the challenge I think. I really appreciate the challenge sometimes. But I like the slow burn challenge of methodical progress more than a stone wall boss

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I mean I've said it before but at this point I prefer boss fights to be fun and memorable rather than overly difficult. Tough fights are fun, but a lot of them end up being duels with humanoid enemies because From isn't sure how to make giant monsters difficult. It gets old after awhile. One of my favorite fights in DS3 is actually Curse-Rotted Greatwood. Its not difficult at all but its a really memorable fight both in terms of what it looks like and how you fight.

Is the new hex added in the DLC any good? I bet it looks super cool at least.

VVV The judicator keels over dead the second the spear arrives. There's never any reason to go near him.

I think its good, it homes well and I got 2 shot by it when someone as using the mask that boosts dark damage, the staff with a dark buff and probably some combination of rings. I had 40 vigor, Life + 3 ring, Ring of Favor + 3 and the buffs from the spear of the church.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Azuth0667 posted:

I think its good, it homes well and I got 2 shot by it when someone as using the mask that boosts dark damage, the staff with a dark buff and probably some combination of rings. I had 40 vigor, Life + 3 ring, Ring of Favor + 3 and the buffs from the spear of the church.

Is it the gigantic homing blue orb? The hitbox is colossal.

e: This pvp boss fight sucks. All any of them are doing is waiting for Not Soulmass to recharge and hiding behind the painting guardians and rolling forever until I dwindle down.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Mar 30, 2017

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Lakbay posted:

Artorias is just Allant and Penetrator fused together

I think I might've actually missed the real allant or something in des. I always read about how there was a fake one and i'm like wiat...did i totally gently caress up? I really need to boot up the ps3 and finish the few ds2 bosses (darklurker, that one optional dragon, and aldia) and maybe the 'real' allant if that exists

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Is it the gigantic homing blue orb? The hitbox is colossal.

e: This pvp boss fight sucks. All any of them are doing is waiting for Not Soulmass to recharge and hiding behind the painting guardians and rolling forever until I dwindle down.

Yeah that's the one. My first thought was "oh I can dodge this :downs:." Yeah its pretty hard to dodge since its so big.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Anyone here know how to lock the game at 30 fps? Im a big loser who doesn't have the best GPU and poo poo, so while I can certainly run the game, I can't run it at a consistent 60 fps. I am kinda tired of the framerate bouncing back and forth between 60 and 40 and everything in between. I figure that if I could lock it at 30 it would be much more pleasant to play.

I wish locking frame rates was an option in the settings of all games.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ok, gently caress this fight.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I'm going to do my part to help by trying to get summoned as the boss and then just pvping like i normally do ie badly

Spiking
Dec 14, 2003

Ok I'm going hollow. Anyone who's good at fighting the dragon wanna save my sorry souls? I can get him pretty low solo but anyone I summon gets one shot half the time. Sorcery wanted especially one with that mercury spell.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sapozhnik posted:

I'm going to do my part to help by trying to get summoned as the boss and then just pvping like i normally do ie badly

If the Spear know how to roll the Spear wins. Just, straight up. I cannot do enough damage to outheal the guardian at 36/36 with a +5 Onyx Blade, and I can't dodge the soulmasses shooting through columns forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Spiking posted:

Ok I'm going hollow. Anyone who's good at fighting the dragon wanna save my sorry souls? I can get him pretty low solo but anyone I summon gets one shot half the time. Sorcery wanted especially one with that mercury spell.

I can help out. http://steamcommunity.com/id/elman89