Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u

Dareon posted:

I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

I don't think there's native support for Mystical Agriculture from AgriCraft yet, but someone out there has probably written the scripts for it, and I'd love to get my hands on them. Chickens with Hatchery might be worth checking out

edit- I made a modpack that goes out if its way to give alternatives to actually mining, it's over here

frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Ambaire posted:

How are 7.10 tesseracts fiddly? Add channel for whatever, set tesseract to channel, set input/output types you want, done. They're completely and totally awesome and I've probably used at least a few hundred over my 7.10 career.

Mainly the typing of a channel name. I feel like some other way of identifying a channel would be more ideal.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

way to chip away at the perception that you are a joyless husk

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Dareon posted:

I've found I got kind of used to being able to generate all the resources I needed with bees, and now I just groan when I realize I need to go mining again. The problem is, I don't want to spend hours breeding bees. Mystical Agriculture looks promising, but I'm also a little iffy on mods adding several new resources I need to go mine. Would someone mind giving me a rundown on it, how hard it is to start up, and if it plays well with Agricraft?

Magical Crops can pretty much get you every resource you need from farming, you just need 4 of the desired thing, mix with some Minico and you're good to go.

If you want to go the tech route then ExNhilo can get you everything without physical mining also.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell

KingLemming posted:

Mainly the typing of a channel name. I feel like some other way of identifying a channel would be more ideal.

It isn't really that bad, people can be lazy and name channels "1", "2", "3", etc. or be more descriptive: "Reactor fluid input", "Peak Load Power Output". Any other way of doing it like picking colors or 4 digit pins ends up being only marginally faster than typing a name and far more limiting.

Maybe it would look better if the GUI was more informative, with icons by the channel name indicating if another tesseract on the network is already connected to it and if it is moving fluids/rf/items.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

way to chip away at the perception that you are a joyless husk

When your entire response to me is literally three letters long, I see no reason to give it any more of a response. You can feel free to go on assuming entirely wrong and idiotic things about me, though. Have fun with that.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Nevets posted:

It isn't really that bad, people can be lazy and name channels "1", "2", "3", etc. or be more descriptive: "Reactor fluid input", "Peak Load Power Output". Any other way of doing it like picking colors or 4 digit pins ends up being only marginally faster than typing a name and far more limiting.

Maybe it would look better if the GUI was more informative, with icons by the channel name indicating if another tesseract on the network is already connected to it and if it is moving fluids/rf/items.
I think any system other than just typing in the channel names would be more fiddly and irksome, it's probably the simplest way that also allows you to understand what the channel is for.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Nevets posted:

That's reasonable and probably doable.

CrazyTolradi posted:

I think any system other than just typing in the channel names would be more fiddly and irksome, it's probably the simplest way that also allows you to understand what the channel is for.

Yeah, I guess the part that bothers me is that there's a number associated with it. Basically since you can name them, I should really just hide that number entirely.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

KingLemming posted:

That's reasonable and probably doable.

Yeah, I guess the part that bothers me is that there's a number associated with it. Basically since you can name them, I should really just hide that number entirely.

just force people to learn ipv6 and assign everyone a a subnet like a /150. But that isn't minecraft moding enough so ipx or appletalk!

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

wargames posted:

just force people to learn ipv6 and assign everyone a a subnet like a /150. But that isn't minecraft moding enough so ipx or appletalk!

AE3 is going to do away with their "channel" bullshit because people found it tedious. Instead, all machines will be accessable in a manner based on but not identical to LDAP. Automatic configuration is gated behind Nether Stars and involves setting up a Windows domain, which is fully incompatible with the manually connected networks you've already made.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

bbcisdabomb posted:

AE3 is going to do away with their "channel" bullshit because people found it tedious. Instead, all machines will be accessable in a manner based on but not identical to LDAP. Automatic configuration is gated behind Nether Stars and involves setting up a Windows domain, which is fully incompatible with the manually connected networks you've already made.

You can run a ldap server on linux and that is truly painful so that is what they should go with.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

just store your items in the cloud!!

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

bbcisdabomb posted:

I feel like I've already played that mod... ;)

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
I want to retrieve my items via GOPHER.

Also, Magical Crops is replaced by Mystical Agriculture in 1.10 and no, Agricraft doesn't support it unless you craft/obtain json files for each individual crop you want Agricraft to grow, according to its Curse page.

You will only need two things to start with Mystical Agriculture, one of them generally drops off of mobs very frequently (Inferium Essence) and the other needs to be mined (or collected with Ex Nihilo) which is the Prosperity Shards, which are required to create crafting seeds (that are then turned into resource seeds).

You will also need 'mob chunks' which drop off mobs in order to make certain resource seeds (low chance of drop, much higher with a Soulium Dagger). They can either be collected directly from the mobs you want the chunks of or you can grab low level mob ones, such as zombies, and level them up to the tier you want.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 29, 2017

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?

McFrugal posted:

Are you sure it duped/destroyed the items, and didn't just desynch your client so it looked like you had more/missed some?

Only have two of the small crate and just double checked everything 2 Mana Diamonds were put in and i got 4 after Invtweaks sorted everything.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

just store your items in the cloud!!

done

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

KingLemming posted:

KingLemming posted:

KingLemming, I can't speak for anyone else, but I like the way 1.7.10 tesseracts work. I like making Commie Power channels and setting them to 666. I like setting subsets for different purposes, like, say, individual turbine steam channel sets... 5x for water, 7x for steam, or whatever. And I like naming each one. I hope 1.10.2 tesseracts aren't going to change much.

I've used tesseracts for parallelizing AE2 patterns. Set 1 input one that the interfaces are against, then set multiple outputs for however many machines. It intelligently splits inputs across the machines. Or at least I think it did.

They're so much easier to work with than other mod alternatives. Dim transceivers randomly stop working... quantum entangloporters have a weird interface.

e. And one input tesseract / multiple output for same channel also let one automate mekanism machines with AE2. Input tesseract with interface with say iron and redstone, two output tesseracts on the input/additional material sides of the whatever factory. And another tesseract on the factory output going to main import.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Mar 30, 2017

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ambaire posted:

KingLemming, I can't speak for anyone else, but I like the way 1.7.10 tesseracts work. I like making Commie Power channels and setting them to 666. I like setting subsets for different purposes, like, say, individual turbine steam channel sets... 5x for water, 7x for steam, or whatever. And I like naming each one. I hope 1.10.2 tesseracts aren't going to change much.

I've used tesseracts for parallelizing AE2 patterns. Set 1 input one that the interfaces are against, then set multiple outputs for however many machines. It intelligently splits inputs across the machines. Or at least I think it did.

They're so much easier to work with than other mod alternatives. Dim transceivers randomly stop working... quantum entangloporters have a weird interface.
Pretty much this entire post. The way 1.7.10 Tesseracts worked was pretty spot on and I'd never had any issue or problem with their functionality. And like you say, Dimensional Transceivers randomly stop functioning, not to mention that the QE's from Mekanism like to have major problems with EnderIO conduits.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
So ser's answer mostly came down to simultaneously claiming they weren't for Tedium, and defending the crystals and inscribers.

Good to know nothings changed since their first paternalistic reply to Taffer's recipe changes.

E: Still more tolerable than Rootin Tootin Tex Mex's olden days rants or bolding every mod name though :v:

Playstation 4 fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Mar 30, 2017

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

i have absolutely no issues with AE2's crystal growth mechanic or channels

fight me :toughguy:

e: or inscribers, if you couldn't figure out how to automate them you might be a babby irl

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Tedium does not preclude figuring them out. Things can be doable yet still bad.

Also, yeah, i had no problem with channels, don't know why you're jumping on them.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The super ironic part was the fact that Applied Energistics was supposed to be the opposite of a tedious grind. The author even mocked other "grindier" mods by releasing a "joke" April fools update that added the "Mining Grinder" a stick you could tediously click on to gain resources:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6QX2jQ1DU8&t=111s

frenzy
Aug 4, 2003
hey u
at this point any decent pack is going to have recipes for processors and presses. Setting up AE2 is repetitive yes, as are most complex tasks involving multiple steps

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Crystal growth outside of AE2Stuff chambers is basically "Hahaha gently caress you for using magnet mods!"

Playstation 4 posted:

Tedium does not preclude figuring them out. Things can be doable yet still bad.

Also, yeah, i had no problem with channels, don't know why you're jumping on them.
Yeah, channels are probably the easiest part of the more "annoying" AE2 features to deal with. By the time you're coming up against channel limitations, sub-networks are easily a thing you can do.

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Playstation 4 posted:

So ser's answer mostly came down to simultaneously claiming they weren't for Tedium, and defending the crystals and inscribers.

Good to know nothings changed since their first paternalistic reply to Taffer's recipe changes.

E: Still more tolerable than Rootin Tootin Tex Mex's olden days rants or bolding every mod name though :v:

Automating crystals and inscribers is not tedium. And that fact that you see it as such is really, really sad. You (and others) think any amount of added effort to a mod equates directly to tedium and grind and that's simply not the case. The only argument I've ever seen about the crystal growth mechanic that I've felt has real merit is the idea of items in-world being not the greatest idea - but I still think it's usually fine since you can grow an unlimited amount of them at the same time and be done with it forever. Or, again, automate it so you don't have to fiddle with it and they're in-world relatively briefly.

My opinion hasn't changed because nothing in the modding landscape has happened to change that.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Crystal growth outside of AE2Stuff chambers is basically "Hahaha gently caress you for using magnet mods!"

Yeah, channels are probably the easiest part of the more "annoying" AE2 features to deal with. By the time you're coming up against channel limitations, sub-networks are easily a thing you can do.

Maybe consider disabling your magnet inside your base? You probably really don't need it.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Serifina posted:

Automating crystals and inscribers is not tedium. And that fact that you see it as such is really, really sad. You (and others) think any amount of added effort to a mod equates directly to tedium and grind and that's simply not the case. The only argument I've ever seen about the crystal growth mechanic that I've felt has real merit is the idea of items in-world being not the greatest idea - but I still think it's usually fine since you can grow an unlimited amount of them at the same time and be done with it forever. Or, again, automate it so you don't have to fiddle with it and they're in-world relatively briefly.

My opinion hasn't changed because nothing in the modding landscape has happened to change that.
It's like I'm reading straight from r/feedthebeast.

Serifina posted:

Maybe consider disabling your magnet inside your base? You probably really don't need it.
Nah, I'll just use the AE2 Stuff chamber instead. gently caress this having to have more entities sitting out in the world poo poo.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Serifina posted:

Automating crystals and inscribers is not tedium. And that fact that you see it as such is really, really sad. You (and others) think any amount of added effort to a mod equates directly to tedium and grind and that's simply not the case.

Its okay for people to have opinions that are different than yours

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Five years ago I developed and ran a modded team PVP server called Keepcraft out of the Private Games Subforum. The gist of it is there's two teams and they each get a plot of land as their base and the objective is to destroy the other team's spawn beacon to end the round. I rebooted it with some fresh ideas a few months back and it's been going strong ever since. You guys should come check it out. Here's the new thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808257 with a lot more details. The server is most active at 8pm central which is when the team bases become vulnerable to TNT.

Right now I'm actively developing 3 plugins that are the majority of the mechanics on the server:

- Keepcraft: Handles the plots, world setup, chat, lots of balance changes to make PVP more balanced, and so much more.
- SiegeTNT: Changes vanilla TNT behavior so explosions degrade materials (stone becomes cobblestone becomes gravel becomes air) and adds a new block that can be built as an attack construction.
- BlockGravity: Adds gravity to all blocks you can stand on. Blocks other than sand and gravel can be built out but only with a spanning range of 3 and if they lose their supports they'll fall. Sand and gravel will spill out on the ground instead of stacking.

Summit fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!

KingLemming posted:

Yeah, this is why I removed them as augments in 1.10. It presented a false choice and was dumb all around.

Also - don't worry if it looks like Secondaries still accumulate - the augment only voids ones that can't stack - either if it's the wrong type (which it'll let the machine proceed), or if there are just too many. So you'll still probably end up with a stack of *something* in the output slot, but that won't affect how the machine operates.

Am I reading this right, is redstone control and side config no longer upgrades in 1.10, but just available all the time?

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Taffer posted:

Its okay for people to have opinions that are different than yours

It's not okay to mock them for having different opinions.

What I'm saying is, Serfina is the target of as much rude language as they're putting out.

Personally I think channels are okay in theory. They can be a little annoying in practice though. It would be better if dense cable had an infinite capacity for channels, or if there were simply more tiers of cable past dense.

McFrugal fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 30, 2017

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Hagop posted:

Am I reading this right, is redstone control and side config no longer upgrades in 1.10, but just available all the time?

That's correct, yes.

KingLemming
Jan 1, 2013

fuck gregtech

Hagop posted:

Yeah, but machines also lost a couple of Augment slots. However, Augments are completely changed anyways, so it's not really a big deal. All in all it's a way more consistent experience, although some of the arguably fun quirks (Redstone Cell in Fluid Transposer) are gone.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Summit posted:

Five years ago I developed and ran a modded team PVP server called Keepcraft out of the Private Games Subforum. The gist of it is there's two teams and they each get a plot of land as their base and the objective is to destroy the other team's spawn beacon to end the round. I rebooted it with some fresh ideas a few months back and it's been going strong ever since. You guys should come check it out. Here's the new thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3808257 with a lot more details. The server is most active at 8pm central which is when the team bases become vulnerable to TNT.

Right now I'm actively developing 3 plugins that are the majority of the mechanics on the server:

- Keepcraft: Handles the plots, world setup, chat, lots of balance changes to make PVP more balanced, and so much more.
- SiegeTNT: Changes vanilla TNT behavior so explosions degrade materials (stone becomes cobblestone becomes gravel becomes air) and adds a new block that can be built as an attack construction.
- BlockGravity: Adds gravity to all blocks you can stand on. Blocks other than sand and gravel can be built out but only with a spanning range of 3 and if they lose their supports they'll fall. Sand and gravel will spill out on the ground instead of stacking.

Your going to need more mods than that to get the likes of us interested. What sort of industrial processes does you server offer?

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Actually, I've been pretty impressed with the mods you can run server side with minecraft now. I almost would like to see a server side only industrial mod. You can probably do a lot.

yegods
Apr 6, 2007

Cerebus can destroy ANYTHING. Cerebus is the POPE.
ARGH. Stay away from the new Invasion pack. What an exercise in frustration. I just love getting stun-lock killed every time I step foot outside my house, and then having big bear spawn inside my house. Worse than To the Core, much worse. What makes it sad is that the essential game play is very interesting and I wanted so much to like it. Maybe someone has tweaks that can be done to solve the stupid combat problems?

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
What's the intended functionality with whether the old modifier is kept when you swap out the head on an existing tool/weapon in Tinkers' Construct? I've seen it go both ways where sometimes it keeps the old head's modifier on top of the new one, and sometimes it replaces it.

I would assume it's intended to replace it. That seems like it would be pretty busted that you could otherwise add additional modifiers to a tool ad nauseum with no cost except that of materials for the new head. I've seen it keep it something like 3-4 times at least since I started paying attention to it, though!

(Also not tied to whether the item has an available regular modifier slot. When I tested it just now with a "comfortable" level broadsword in Beyond 1.2.1 swapping from an iron to a silver blade, the sword had a single empty modifier slot that it kept after the swap. The sword now has both Magnetic from the iron head and Holy from the silver, along with the Diamond mod I used with the starting slot. AND an empty regular mod slot, if that wasn't clear enough.)

Toadsmash fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 31, 2017

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

Rutibex posted:

Your going to need more mods than that to get the likes of us interested. What sort of industrial processes does you server offer?

Only the bloody grind of war

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I remember Keepcraft. I played the original. The bases back then got super freakin' ridiculous as everyone began rules lawyering the hell out of you to see what they could get away with. Checkerboard tiger traps and walls of lava and entire sections of base supported by single columns of gravel were the norm, and bases could be broken into and raided in the middle of the night by a single asshat with too much time and tnt on their hands.

Overall, I remember it fondly, if a bit frustratingly.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

neogeo0823 posted:

I remember Keepcraft. I played the original. The bases back then got super freakin' ridiculous as everyone began rules lawyering the hell out of you to see what they could get away with. Checkerboard tiger traps and walls of lava and entire sections of base supported by single columns of gravel were the norm, and bases could be broken into and raided in the middle of the night by a single asshat with too much time and tnt on their hands.

Overall, I remember it fondly, if a bit frustratingly.

Oh yes, I remember the rule lawyering well. I only rebooted the idea with some very significant changes:

- Gravity on all blocks to prevent sky castles
- A special buildable block allows bridges to be build over moats
- Fixed raiding hours from 8pm - 11pm central; TNT and the aforementioned siege block cannot be used outside of those hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Summit posted:

Oh yes, I remember the rule lawyering well. I only rebooted the idea with some very significant changes:

- Gravity on all blocks to prevent sky castles
- A special buildable block allows bridges to be build over moats
- Fixed raiding hours from 8pm - 11pm central; TNT and the aforementioned siege block cannot be used outside of those hours
So, no roofs?