Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Could be worse. Could be a Miriel reincarnation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Whenever a generic thief say "What?" , a voice clip is played that has the exact same inflection as Lil' Jon saying it.

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
Midori is one of the better kids. I know that's a low bar, but she clears it reasonably well.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Midori is basically the Walter White of Fates.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The map is a long, winding corridor in which you chase down Candace.

The Dragon Veins here burn down trees to make shortcuts so you can try and kill her before she gets away. The actual challenge of this map is keeping Candace still while waiting for reinforcements to come so you get all that sweet EXP.

She's another boring Adventurer with just a Silver Bow, and her stats aren't even that great for a level 14 promoted unit.

Midori we'll get to at the end of this update, but she's thoroughly average because you're mixing a speedster with a magic user.

I promised a one turn kill and here it is. Scarlet carrying Sakura, Sakura Rescues Hinoka who's carrying Silas.

Oh look, victory

Well done. But I'll warn you. I'm strong as an oak!

Who ARE you?!

Don't scare me like that. Running off on me? I was terrified! All of this, just for those herbs?
We could have gathered more. They're not worth the risk of losing you. So never do that again!

Wait, there's more Dragon Herbs? Kaze, why you holding back on us, I thought we were family

But I just— Ugh, you don't understand! Those herbs grow here only once every year! And you don't realize the true value of those herbs anyway. Those herbs can make wishes come true!
Huh? I knew they were useful, but they can actually grant wishes?
Well the fact is...the herbs can help make one specific wish come true.

...Kaze, were you seriously going to just throw her back into her dimension after this delivery job

Midori, we still could have waited for the herbs to grow back. This was risky.
Don't you realize?! A year here would be FOREVER in my Deeprealm! And I just can't wait THAT long to prove my usefulness again! I...I...hate it there, away from you!
I'm sorry that I've put you through all of this, Midori. It was only for your safety.

Jesus christ, you were seriously going to throw her back into isolation from her own parents

Forgive me for not realizing what you were going through much earlier.
Of course, time is more fleeting in the Deeprealms. I planned to visit as often as I could, since days here would be much longer for you. I am dearly sorry for putting you through such loneliness.
Here, take my hand, Midori. From now on, we walk together in life.

You're serious, Father?
Of course! I'll just go let my comrades know that you'll be joining us.
Thank you, Father! Now, see? I was right about the power of these herbs! My greatest wish is coming true!
Let's go, Midori. We have a lot to catch up about. I want to know everything about your life in your Deeprealm. I've missed out on so much. Tell me about it all—and don't leave out a single day.
Yes, Father. That will surely keep us busy for at least a few years!

Unit joined

Class sets: Starts as Apothecary, Shrine Maiden, Ninja
PSkill: Lucky Charm-Skills with an activation rate dependent on the Luck stat have their rate increased by 20%

Growth Rates (as a Merchant)
HP: 65
STR: 52.5
MAG: 27.5
SKL: 57.5
SPD: 42.5
LCK: 67.5
DEF: 40
RES: 25

Using the Offspring Seal bumps up her lance usage D which is nice, but her real strength is her PSkill. She's far more likely to activate Profiteer, which means more free Gold Bars that will eventually feed into Spendthrift for a powerful self-sustainable unit.

She's relatively slow, especially for being Kaze's kid but high HP and defense defense stat keeps her a bit more resilient than papa ninja. Keep in mind that she does get +3 from Tonics instead of 2 thanks to Potent Potion, so her flaws are less than you think.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

Don't you realize?! A year here would be FOREVER in my Deeprealm! And I just can't wait THAT long to prove my usefulness again! I...I...hate it there, away from you!

it's like they put this in the game and went 'actually, this is basically psychological torture' but instead of coming up with some other bullshit excuse for kids they just made all the parents into monsters

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Mighty Midori is probably one of the better executed children characters, in that she has a personality that's not one single gimmick (see: Asugi and Kana). I've mainly run her as a Mechanist with excellent results, even though her personal skill basically screams "Hey, you know how we made Merchant into a silly gimmick class? Here's a character we specifically made to take advantage of that gimmick!". Of course, like all of the kids her mother does lend to how effective Midori can be (except Shigure, who's the opposite case), so keep that in mind.

Candace is an interesting boss character, as she has a voiced defeat quote and has a critical hit/skill activation cut-in (along with a unique character model), leading to some speculation that she was planned to be a playable character. There are a few of those bosses in the game, but the majority are on the Conquest path.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Midori always turns into one of my best.... thanks to always having Mozu for a mother.

Gotta love that Aptitude.

Argent Cinereus
Feb 25, 2013
Another person escapes the hyperbolic baby dimension. It is almost surprising how many of the second gen characters' motivation is at least partly escaping the side dimension their parents tossed them in. Mostly because it comes up enough that you'd think someone would have thought to explain that as them not being kind of terrible parents somehow. Kind of curious if that comes up in supports.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Weeble posted:

Midori always turns into one of my best.... thanks to always having Mozu for a mother.

Gotta love that Aptitude.

What's up, "always marry Kaze and Mozu" buddy?

It makes too much sense not to do it.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

So the herbs got stolen by Professor Umbridge in a way too revealing top? Is this what happens after you get dragged into the woods by centaurs?

please respect candace, she owns

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Candance was widely believed to be a recruitable character just before the game was released. She's still pretty popular for what she is.

Please show the 4-koma with her in it during the second playthrough.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Candace is great and it's a loss that she was not recruitable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

you can capture her with orochi and she'll retain her unique model/cut-in and such but she won't have any supports. she also has unique growths, incidentally. The two bandit bosses in Kanna's paralogue are also like that, same with Funke.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Midori - Her base growths are surprisingly balanced for a child character who has Kaze, of all people, as her fixed parent; she still doesn't measure up to the really good ones in anything, but she's competent enough, especially since her obvious promotion path is Merchant (which, as I've mentioned before, gives the highest overall growth bonuses out of all the classes in the game). As a character... well, she strikes me as trying to act more mature than she actually is (details on Japanese version omitted for creepiness).

Black Feather
Apr 14, 2012

Call someone who cares.
Wouldn't throwing Midori (or any of the other kids) back into her Deeprealm after she spent some time in the normal world mean that now all her friends there are a few years older, and possibly moved on from their friendship with her? Isn't that... kind of cruel?

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Black Feather posted:

throwing Midori (or any of the other kids) into her Deeprealm? Isn't that... kind of cruel?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

you can capture her with orochi and she'll retain her unique model/cut-in and such but she won't have any supports. she also has unique growths, incidentally. The two bandit bosses in Kanna's paralogue are also like that, same with Funke.

It's a lot quicker to say that pretty much anyone not story significant with a picture can be captured.

Because then you get Zola. ...Or Flora as outliers.

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
Is it wrong that I started playing Locke's theme in my head the moment she said she was a treasure hunter?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Gilgamesh255 posted:

Is it wrong that I started playing Locke's theme in my head the moment she said she was a treasure hunter?

Yes, it's wrong because Locke actually has a character (and a semi-valid excuse to call himself a treasure hunter in that you actually see him spelunking, even if he is prone to mugging his enemies) and is a good guy, whereas Candace is just sort of there to be a bandit (no matter how hard she denies it- it'd help her case if she didn't use Insane Troll Logic to "justify" her actions) and is an enemy.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Rogue 7 posted:

Midori is one of the better kids. I know that's a low bar, but she clears it reasonably well.

Having more in her life than an obsession with a certain vegetable raise her to that level so that "low bar" comment is an understatement.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Midori's battle quotes are also A++ though.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Yes, it's wrong because Locke actually has a character (and a semi-valid excuse to call himself a treasure hunter in that you actually see him spelunking, even if he is prone to mugging his enemies) and is a good guy, whereas Candace is just sort of there to be a bandit (no matter how hard she denies it- it'd help her case if she didn't use Insane Troll Logic to "justify" her actions) and is an enemy.

Insane Troll Logic

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Insane Troll Logic

Carlioo
Dec 26, 2012

:krakentoot:
Midori means green right? Feels like her name doesn't make sense with red hair color.

...Actually, does any of the women in Fates have green hair?

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

CptWedgie posted:

Please stop.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Carlioo posted:

Midori means green right? Feels like her name doesn't make sense with red hair color.

Corrin :v:

Most of the kid characters in this game are boring but MIGHTY MIDORI!!! is definitely one of the few exceptions. Give her a parent who can cross-class into a magic class so she can achieve her true destiny of being a literal weed wizard.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

What exactly did I say that deserves this response? :confused:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Going on :tvtropes:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

gently caress it, I'll say it.
Those loving morons are worse parents than Gohan's dad, and you all know I'm not referring to Piccolo with that.

Jesus loving Christ.

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013

CptWedgie posted:

Yeah, TV Tropes is pretty reviled round these parts (perhaps unfairly, perhaps not) so using something that's verbatim from there and isn't really found elsewhere (such as "Insane Troll Logic") is going to get people here to immediately disrespect you, so it's probably best not to use any terminology from there if you don't want to be mocked or insulted. How these people recognise the terminology when they hate TV Tropes so much, I'm not entirely sure. If you want to know why that hate TV Tropes so much, I think there's a thread somewhere about it.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
And Kaze's treatment of Midori is nowhere near worst parenting we'll see from our protagonists in this game.

The Golux
Feb 18, 2017

Internet Cephalopod

Carlioo posted:

No true green aside from the protagonist, but there are a few greenish blue and greenish brown.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Carlioo posted:

An interesting quirk is that Midori's eyebrows never change color to match her mother's hair color, so they'll always be her default green hair color. Or it's due to lack of editing oversight, you make the call.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I upgraded both shops, which refilled stuff and added other things.

Great Festal-A rank, 1-10 range, 2 uses, Restores (2 + Magic/3) HP to all allies in range

Nice emergency all-heal, though currently the only person that can A rank in staves is Felicia who's at a middling C right now.

Another Rescue and Hex staff are available for purchase.

One of every stat booster is available for purchase as well, along with unlimited Seals now.

Eternal Seals increase the level cap by 5, which is expensive but if you have literally nothing else to buy, then sure. The money would be better off buying a ton of tonics and spare weapons to forge to higher levels.

A lot of refills happened for important weapons, like Guard Naginata and Practice Katanas.

One of the new weapon types are the Vengeful line, which basically all are A rank, -20 avoid, and doubles the mt during enemy phase. Really bad, and they cost like double of the next expensive weapon (around 8k).

A Spy Shuriken is available to buy, as well as a Yumi version. Expensive as hell though, and no one is remotely at A rank bows (The closest one is the user of Fujin so fat chance there).

Dragon Spirit-A rank, 11 mt, 85 hit, 10 crit, Effective against dragon units, Skill and Defence +1; after the battle, Magic is halved for the next attack

Most dragons you will face are Wyvern Knights, which begs the question of why you need to pay 8k for what a bow can do? And good god, A rank.

Snake Spirit-A rank, 5 mt, 60 hit, 2 consecutive attacks when user initiates battle, Speed and Resistance +1; after the battle, Magic is halved for the next attack

This is basically the only buyable brave weapon for Birthright. Decent weapon but again, cost way too much and Horse Spirit is better overall. If you really need power, just forge up some cheaper steel-tier scrolls.

Hey, the summary didn't spoil the entire thing this time.

I don't know how. He can kill people as a hologram with no risk and turn allies into foes via illusion.

I'll have to dispose of him one of these days... No matter. Plan B will spring into action anytime now. Oh...and to see the look on Corrin's face when it does...
Bwahahaha!

Murder Dad still wants to really Murder. At least he's consistent>

Gah! Xander, don't spook me like that.
Be honest—were you spying on Father?
... Yes.
Elise. You should know better. Father would not be pleased if he found out someone was listening in on him. Even you would likely face some unpleasant consequences.
I know. It's just...
*sob*
Elise! What's wrong?

Corrin is gone... Leo is gone... Camilla is so depressed that she hardly even leaves her quarters. What's happened to our family, Xander? How can we go back to the way things were?

Wait, Leo just hosed off with...whatever Azura gave him? Also wow, Camilla's been sidelined since like chapter 13 which is impressive.

Elise...
Don't worry, Sister. When this war is over, everything will go back to normal.
*sniffle* R-really? But how can you be so sure?
Because I believe. That's why I can keep fighting in the face of heartache. We must all believe that what we're doing is for the greater good... We must trust in our cause and fight for it with all we have! That's all we can do, at least for now.

"If I kill enough, surely everything just goes back the way it is!"

*Meanwhile*

Wait, we're on a boat now? How did...you know what, sure.

Well, we had to take the long way around, but we're finally here. This ferry will take us right to your childhood home, Corrin.
I know. I'm having a hard time believing this is really happening.
Yeah, well, don't get too nostalgic or anything. As soon as we step off this boat, there won't be any place to hide.
You're right. We should begin preparing for battle now. There won't be any time to rest once we reach the dock.

Yes?
Just before we boarded this vessel, I received a message from Yukimura.
Really? How is that possible?!
He sent a young pegasus rider from the Bottomless Canyon to find us. Both rider and steed appeared exhausted. Sakura is tending to them now.
I see. So, what was the message?
It's bad news, I'm afraid.

But it appears that soldiers from Mokushu have joined Nohr in attacking us.
It sounds like it's only a matter of time until our defenses are breached.

Those ninjas we killed like 11 chapters ago??

No!
It gets worse. That message is at least several weeks old. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the situation has deteriorated even further.
It sounds like we don't have much time left. We need to defeat Garon and end this war before our castle falls.

Considering it took almost a month for the message to reach them, wouldn't beating Ganon right now still not stop the fighting for another month? Or is Leo gonna give us another teleporting book

How long until we reach our destination?
Another day—maybe two. According to the captain, we need to go far upstream to reach a docking point.
But...according to the map that the Rainbow Sage gave us...our destination is directly across the river from us.
Why can't we go straight there?
Hmm. I'm not sure. The captain didn't indicate that we had any options.

Demon's Fall? Show me!
He's right. It's handwritten very faintly, right there. Have you heard of the place, Ryoma?
Yes, but I believed it to be a legend.
They say it's a waterfall made of fire, which seemed too fantastical to be true.

Magical mind-altering barrier that covers a kingdom. Illusions that can summon undead abominations. Your brother married your sister and popped out a fully-bred murder kid in 2 minutes. But something lava-like? poo poo, NO CAN DO

Well, we better decide quickly. We're coming up on a fork in the river!
I believe it's worth a shot. What do you say, Corrin?
I agree. We must act quickly...or else there may no longer BE a Hoshido to save. I think we're ready to take on anything we might find at Demon's Fall.
Who's with me?
We're all with you, Corrin! I'll inform the captain.

*Some time later*

By gods...the waterfall IS on fire!
Yes. It is a strange phenomenon, but I can explain how it came to be. There is a massive reservoir of oil nearby that has mixed with the water. At some point, hundreds of years ago, the river was set aflame. It may have been a lightning strike, or an accident, but regardless... It has burned ever since. All of us living in Nohr have avoided the general area, for obvious reasons.

Hmm...

*Ryoma notices something shiny*

I feel the presence of a Dragon Vein nearby...maybe even two!
Be careful! I also sense a hostile presence in the area...

Dragon Veins are pretty much used to make bridges between the land masses unless you just use fliers all day to ferry people over.

STATS HERE

Bench 4 characters, top vote is permanently out: http://www.strawpoll.me/12648679

LifeofaGuardian
Oct 26, 2013

Every part of every human being-even their ugly sides-is beautiful. There is no limit to beauty.
This map was not very fun when I played it. The gimmick is luck-based (unless you have a map, I guess) and my luck is awful, so I always drew the short straw. :saddowns:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

The taste is...different.

You are the ocean's gray waves ♪

B-A Support

For a samurai, to die in service is really the best possible death.

But...isn't there more to protecting your master than just the physical act?

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

LifeofaGuardian posted:

This map was not very fun when I played it. The gimmick is luck-based (unless you have a map, I guess) and my luck is awful, so I always drew the short straw. :saddowns:

Actually, the map itself gives hints, if you just pay attention. I think Tae would appreciate it if I left it there, though...

Tae posted:

The taste is...different.

Kaze has a very good point. It's why real-life manufacturers test new drugs on rodents (last I heard, at least), actually.

Tae posted:

You are the ocean's gray waves ♪

Well, at least we know Shigure is pubescent. I should probably drop that right there, though; it has the potential for creepiness.

Tae posted:

For a samurai, to die in service is really the best possible death.

Hana's got a berserk button, I see. She's kinda misunderstanding him, though.

Tae posted:

But...isn't there more to protecting your master than just the physical act?

There are also practical issues to take into consideration. You know, the whole "if you die in service, your service ends" angle.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm guessing being a Fire Emblem singer/dancer unit doesn't really give you a background in music theory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

C Support

This whole candy-making hobby is just a pretext to pick up women?

It was an accident!

B-A

One wonders why you befriended me.

You're going to make me blush with all your gushy talk.

Voting will end soon. Stop voting for Asugi, he's already dead.

• Locked thread