Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Regy Rusty posted:

I wouldn't bother. That game starts off charming enough but it's gameplay really doesn't have enough going for it to sustain it in the long run.

Oh, that's a bummer. But I mean like, at half price, I'd probably get that much worth of enjoyment even if there isn't enough to the game to carry it to completion, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Box of Bunnies posted:

Oh, that's a bummer. But I mean like, at half price, I'd probably get that much worth of enjoyment even if there isn't enough to the game to carry it to completion, right?

I'm still playing it, and most of the enjoyment comes from the writing and watching the twitter feedgrindcast of the adventurers as they go about their business; the actual weapon creation and polishing or whatever are kinda background tasks and just stuff you do while reading the stream

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

duckfarts posted:

I'm still playing it, and most of the enjoyment comes from the writing and watching the twitter feedgrindcast of the adventurers as they go about their business; the actual weapon creation and polishing or whatever are kinda background tasks and just stuff you do while reading the stream

It's like getting an insight into being someone who never puts their phone away. I found it a bit stressful to divert my attention like that, which is why I stopped pretty early on.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

duckfarts posted:

Honestly I'm pretty okay with that for a fiver, going in with expectations in check. It's like Attack of the Friday Monsters where I wasn't expecting to be blown away by its adventure gameplay so much as I was expecting it to develop an atmosphere evoking a certain time and place.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
If you want a game with Twitter and weapon-crafting, there's always Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE! :v:

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want a game with Twitter and weapon-crafting, there's always Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE! :v:

Already have that but got stuck in the middle of one dungeon. My biggest disappointment was that I never got the manager's cocktail bunny stickers as actual comment/messenger things on real Facebook. They would have been perfect!

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

AUSGOONS

Some eShop stuff for 3DS - I'm putting off housework, and this is some straight up procrastination. The Wii U might have a similar thing? I don't own a Wii U.

Up to 80% off Nindies - Expires 6th of April
Steamworld Dig - $4.79
Steamworld Heist - $11.24
Gunman Clive - $1.25
Gunman Clive 2 - $1.99
Edge - $0.85
Crinsom Shroud - $5.20
Attack of the Friday Monsters - $5.20
Weapon Shop de Omasse - $5.20
Retro City Rampage: DX - $5.99
Mutant Mudds - $9.45
Shantae and the Pirate's Curse - $17.24
Picross e7 - $4.55
KORG DSN-12 - $24.97
Severed - $11.47
Xeodrifter - $8.19
OlliOlli - $2.58
Nano Assault EX - $10.22

Other Special Offers - Mostly Capcom stuff and whoever owns Rune Factory - Also 6th of April
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Trilogy - $22.45
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - $15.98
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Spirit of Justice - $26.50
Mega Man Legacy Collection - $12.15
Super Street Fighter IV 3D - $10.40
Resident Evil The Mercanaries 3D - $4.95
Resident Evil Revelations - $14.98
Rune Factory 4 - $32.46

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They were terrible sorry bout your opinions.

notched joysticks singlehandedly make the gamecube controller a necessity for smash bros. everything else, pro controlllers do better.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

is there a date set for switch virtual store / nintendo online stuff?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

If you mean Virtual Console, then no.

There is the limited online functionality currently (eShop/Bomberman and other online games) but the "full" subscription one is supposed to launch in Autumn.

Disargeria
May 6, 2010

All Good Things are Wild and Free!
So Has-Been Heroes is pretty hard. The tutorial doesn't explain all of the mechanics and you don't get to save anything or keep any kind of bonus on death. The encounters seem to swing wildly between mindless and impossible.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

I've been playing my 3DS a lot lately, working through various virtual console games that I've never played and drat, as excited as I was to finally play Castlevania 3....it just feels like poo poo. The game is difficult to the point where I do not get any kind of enjoyment out of it. Pretty bummed.

However, on a better note I can't believe how well DKC 2, Diddy's Kong Quest holds up. It's a blast on 3DS.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

However, on a better note I can't believe how well DKC 2, Diddy's Kong Quest holds up. It's a blast on 3DS.

I'll argue this is one of the best platformers ever made, still play it all the time.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

I've been playing my 3DS a lot lately, working through various virtual console games that I've never played and drat, as excited as I was to finally play Castlevania 3....it just feels like poo poo. The game is difficult to the point where I do not get any kind of enjoyment out of it. Pretty bummed.

If you can, try playing the Japanese version, Akumajou Densetsu. They made some pretty significant changes to the US/EU releases back in the day, such as changing how the amount of damage from enemies is calculated.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

CV3 also changed Grant's attack from throwing knives to close range stabs so he's so much better in the Japanese version. Dying to Dracula in the Japanese version also starts you right at the bottom of his traditional stairs instead of further back in the stage, like the English version.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I just played Castlevania 4 for the first time and it was fantastic. I love the whip control in it.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Citizens of Earth Wii U. Quote the post if you use it B0L6SSK15NX3JMJW

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Pikmin 2 coming to Wiiu shop.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Spacebump posted:

Citizens of Earth Wii U. Quote the post if you use it B0L6SSK15NX3JMJW

Been used :(

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

PAL update (week of March 30):

quote:

SWITCH eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug - €6.99 / £6.29
    Snake Pass - €19.99 / £16.99

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Cube Life: Pixel Action Heroes - €6.99 / £6.29 or €3.49 / £? for owners of Cube Life: Island Survival (till April 4)
    Mutant Alien Moles of the Dead - €2.99 / £2.58
    Pic-a-Pix Colour - €5.00 / £4.50

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Urban Trial Freestyle 2 - €6.99 / £6.29
    Pic-a-Pix Colour - €5.00 / £4.50
    Go! Go! Kokopolo 3D - €5.99 / £5.79

NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Fifteen - €1.49 / £1.39
    Pinball Breakout - €7.00 / £6.00
    Super Destronaut 3D - €1.99 / £1.79

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

NA update (week of March 30):

quote:

SWITCH RETAIL DOWNLOADS
    Has Been Heroes - $19.99

SWITCH eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Snake Pass - $19.99
    ACA NeoGeo Metal Slug - $7.99

WII U eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Miko Mole - $5.00
    Cube Life: Pixel Action Heroes - $6.99

WII DOWNLOADS FOR WII U
    Pikmin 2 - $19.99

WII U SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Brave Dungeon - $5.00
    Kung Fu Fight - $1.99
    Subara City - $3.99

NEW 3DS eSHOP DOWNLOADS
    Four Bombs - $1.49

3DS SALES/PROMOTIONS
    ?

Everyone wanted more Metal Slug, right?

The verdict on Has Been Heroes seems to be that it's very hard, so your enjoyment of it may depend on your tolerance for Roguelikes. Also I think one or two people in the Switch thread mentioned that it doesn't really explain the full game mechanics.

Snake Pass is apparently good but in handheld mode displays sub-720. Impressions from Switch thread are that it looks much nicer docked.

Oh and Pikmin 2 is a nice little bonus for WiiU owners in NA.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Going to buy Metal Slug tonight. :toot:

Hope they just skip to Metal Slug X instead of the outdated Metal Slug 2 release.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Rirse posted:

Going to buy Metal Slug tonight. :toot:

Hope they just skip to Metal Slug X instead of the outdated Metal Slug 2 release.

Can you report on how it runs? I found MS3 to be basically unplayable.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Nephzinho posted:

Can you report on how it runs? I found MS3 to be basically unplayable.

I played a bit of it a week ago and it seemed fine. I think they updated it earlier in the month, have you tried it since then?

e: MS3 that is

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Overminty posted:

I played a bit of it a week ago and it seemed fine. I think they updated it earlier in the month, have you tried it since then?

e: MS3 that is

Yeah I was just playing on Saturday and it chugged to the point I could take a hand off the controller to drink while the game worked its way through frames. Unless I somehow ran it without the patch?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
nintendo please turn on the eshop faucet for switch tia

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

eonwe posted:

nintendo please turn on the eshop faucet for switch tia

They basically already said that their plan is a constant slow trickle. Basically, their VC plan.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
Their plan seems to slow trickle the Wii, then once that cup is full slowly trickle it to the WiiU (for only $2 more per game), then take that cup and slow trickle it to the Switch (probably for another $2).

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Houle posted:

Their plan seems to slow trickle the Wii, then once that cup is full slowly trickle it to the WiiU (for only $2 more per game), then take that cup and slow trickle it to the Switch (probably for another $2).

Really makes playing video games sound as appealing as my last visit to the hospital.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My last visit to the hospital I did play a bunch of video games, it was sweet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How come hospital games never took off, Trauma Centre and Theme Hospital were both good

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!
Why are they still putting stuff out for the Wii U, even VC? The Switch has, like, six games total. They can put Pikmin 2 on the Wii U, but they don't even have one NES or SNES game ready for their new console that's been out for three weeks?

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Why are they still putting stuff out for the Wii U, even VC? The Switch has, like, six games total. They can put Pikmin 2 on the Wii U, but they don't even have one NES or SNES game ready for their new console that's been out for three weeks?

"People are buying it so we must be doing everything right, including the things that are inexcusably dumb" :downs:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

If people will still spend money on the Wii U why not? It's probably not challenging to port Wii games to it since it runs them natively. It's probably literally a repackaged ISO file.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

They can translate Wii games more easily to Wii U and they already have Pikmins 1 and 3 up so I don't see what the problem really is here.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Scratch-O posted:

The PS4 still doesn't have PS1 support idk companies are weird.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Scratch-O posted:

Because the Wii U is still a console that exists? Support doesn't stop the moment a new console comes out.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jivjov posted:

Because the Wii U is still a console that exists? Support doesn't stop the moment a new console comes out.

I hope it isn't true but I have a feeling Nintendo will pull the plug on online functionality on Wii U in a year or so.

The Wii U is still worth getting since there's so many good exclusives that probably won't get Switch ports like Mario 3D World, Captain Toad, Bayonetta 2, Wonderful 101, etc. etc.

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

In Training posted:

The PS4 still doesn't have PS1 support idk companies are weird.

I mean, the PS4 also had and has strong third-party support, and going by Wikipedia, it had at least two exclusive first-party launch games (Killzone and Knack), which puts it one ahead of the Switch. I'd say the PS4 doesn't need PS1 games nearly as much as the Switch needs VC.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Scratch-O posted:

I mean, the PS4 also had and has strong third-party support, and going by Wikipedia, it had at least two exclusive first-party launch games (Killzone and Knack), which puts it one ahead of the Switch. I'd say the PS4 doesn't need PS1 games nearly as much as the Switch needs VC.

Are you not counting Zelda as exclusive, because.... that'd be silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

zenintrude posted:

Are you not counting Zelda as exclusive, because.... that'd be silly.

Actually, I was giving it the benefit of the doubt and counting Zelda. I forgot that 1-2-Switch existed, much like everyone else will in six months.