Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

waah posted:

This isn't really as bad as it feels right now right?

I got tired of using the same gun for 30+ hours, decided to finish stuff on my backlog and hope for a good patch/update but if they think the guns are fine... lol. If only they made that comment sooner I would have saved some money not buying some premium packs.

With all this time I was expecting an improved version of ME3 multiplayer and this doesn't feel like an improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Skippy McPants posted:

Short List:

Angara Avenger: my personal pick for the best gold class when playing with pugs. Your damage is solid, but more importantly, Stealth Grid lets you easily solo waves after the rest of your team faceplants.

Vanguards: tanky and Mobile with decent damage. Probably the best entry-level gold class as they only require a minimal amount of gear to reach their full potential.

Soldiers: Turbo Charge pairs very well with the OP Vanquisher. Obviously, this is contingent on your having a Vanquisher, but if you do, Soldiers wield them da bestest.

Anything with Annihilation: which means the Asari Adept or Krogan Gladiator. The former is squishy but very high damage, the latter tankier and more team focused.

Infiltrators or Asari Huntress: Discount versions of the Angara Avenger. Not as good, but a cloak is a cloak and having one in your kit is enough to make any class gold viable.

Angara Insurgent: Best class with Shield Boost, which is a group heal. Not so awesome in pugs, but a fine support class in premades.

Thanks. Luckily I do have a vanquisher and was using it with one of the turian classes; it's pretty effective cause it actually kills things whereas other guns don't.

Do people still use the vanquisher with vanguards etc?

Also, people are talking about melee being awesome - how so? Taking all the melee skills and just spamming it? I tried with a krogan gladiator and it didn't seem to work very well at all.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

terrorist ambulance posted:

Thanks. Luckily I do have a vanquisher and was using it with one of the turian classes; it's pretty effective cause it actually kills things whereas other guns don't.

Do people still use the vanquisher with vanguards etc?

Also, people are talking about melee being awesome - how so? Taking all the melee skills and just spamming it? I tried with a krogan gladiator and it didn't seem to work very well at all.

Right now in the store you can buy a Juggernaut Shield for Mission Funds. This item increases your melee damage substantially (70%?). I don't know the gladiator's passives but since they're a krogan I assume they have rage. You'll probably want to focus on that and annhilation field. Melee is really strong right now because of the juggernaut shield. Many classes have a passive (barrier) that allows them to regain shields on a successful melee attack. Vanguards have this in addition to being able to charge to instantly close gaps and refill their shields as well. As for using a vanquisher on a vanguard, I guess you could but you'd be better off using a shotgun/pistol with a melee mod attached for more punching. The only things you need to worry about shooting as a vanguard are observers and sync killers. If your "cheat death" barrier passive is up though you can punch those too.

waah posted:

So other ME3:MP junkies, are you guys actually finding the multiplayer boring? Like I bought this game cause I figured the internet was being ultra hyperbolic about this game, and I knew even if the single player sucked, at least I would enjoy multiplayer.

It appears I was wrong. I know gold and platinum were where it was best in ME3, but I dunno. Everything about Andromeda seems boring. The enemies, the locations, especially the weapons since I cant kill anything on bronze with my guns.

I thought for sure with less rounds, the matches would be quicker, but even those drag out to about the same amount of time.

What am I missing here guys? This isn't really as bad as it feels right now right?

Right now the game feels stale to me because the rewards you're grinding towards aren't satisfying. It's not exciting when you unlock a new class or gun because they're either bad or they won't be at their best until you get their card 9 more times. The added mobility feels great but the guns/power combos mostly suck and melee feels janky at best. I also miss the satisfying smashyness of ME3's heavy melees.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Mar 30, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

waah posted:

So other ME3:MP junkies, are you guys actually finding the multiplayer boring? Like I bought this game cause I figured the internet was being ultra hyperbolic about this game, and I knew even if the single player sucked, at least I would enjoy multiplayer.

It appears I was wrong. I know gold and platinum were where it was best in ME3, but I dunno. Everything about Andromeda seems boring. The enemies, the locations, especially the weapons since I cant kill anything on bronze with my guns.

I thought for sure with less rounds, the matches would be quicker, but even those drag out to about the same amount of time.

What am I missing here guys? This isn't really as bad as it feels right now right?

I think the game is on the same path as Dragon Age Inquisition multi. Neglected, imbalanced, grindy, laggy with matchmaking issues, bullet-spongey.

Melee in Andromeda multi is powerful, but does not feel good. Heavy melee builds in Mass Effect 3 weren't the most poweful, but they felt loving incredible. Everything is just off.

It's in a sad state.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

waah posted:

No idea dude but same. I barely touch it and I made the goddamn thread. It's a real disappointment and I can't quite verbalize why. I'll try it again today and try do some more updates but man its not grabbing me.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
The worst problem I've had is that many of the games I load into the lag is so bad that I rubber band constantly and end up just having to drop out because I can't actually play the loving game

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I miss Batarian punches

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
I'm having fun playing it but I don't feel as drawn to it as with the ME3MP, which really did have that special something.

All the bronze guns are complete poo poo, I have the Avenger X with accuracy and stability mods and it still bounces around the screen shooting a raider 15m away. Much worse than previously. But the silver, gold, and (of course) N7 rarity guns seem serviceable as soon as you get them and probably are p. good once leveled up.

I'd been playing a fair bit of Jug Vanguard but I got the Human Sentinel unlocked to X as well as a Widow II and Sidewinder I. I did some silver to try those out last night and it was really enjoyable to go back to shooting things. The widow (not black) one shotted mooks just fine and the sidewinder was great for stripping shields.

It was also fun to find out that energy drain (with the priming evolution) -> throw creates an energy field tech combo which, if on an edge enemies jump to, prevents them from sticking a the landing/climb and they fall back down. That plus the deployable cover the sentinel gets makes for a defensible nest.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.

waah posted:

Im not gonna sink 400 hours into this one unless they work on the netcode and deliver some amazing content.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Two Finger posted:

No idea dude but same. I barely touch it and I made the goddamn thread. It's a real disappointment and I can't quite verbalize why. I'll try it again today and try do some more updates but man its not grabbing me.

I'm reminded in a few ways of the original Diablo 3.

There's something here. There's a magic in jumping over a ledge, hoverscoping, popping two mooks in the head and airdashing back onto your ledge

Melee fist dropping in between three mooks with an annihilation field and then popping one with lance to explode all three of them feels great.

Most of the guns are crap, the melee lockon is crap, and it's just not as fun as it should be. There's not enough dudes to kill or varied enough ways to kill them. You have your pick of a couple different sniper rifles for clicking heads, or a couple different melee options for pure murder (except for the lockon is iffy), and everything else feels janky as gently caress. The Venom Grenade feels great when you get a couple of hits on a Chosen's face. And then you have to hit 3 more AND STILL PUNCH HIM if you want him dead.

There's definitely something there, but it's going to require some patching and possibly more effort than Bioware cares to give it to even rival ME3.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Relentless posted:

I'm reminded in a few ways of the original Diablo 3.

There's something here. There's a magic in jumping over a ledge, hoverscoping, popping two mooks in the head and airdashing back onto your ledge

Melee fist dropping in between three mooks with an annihilation field and then popping one with lance to explode all three of them feels great.

Most of the guns are crap, the melee lockon is crap, and it's just not as fun as it should be. There's not enough dudes to kill or varied enough ways to kill them. You have your pick of a couple different sniper rifles for clicking heads, or a couple different melee options for pure murder (except for the lockon is iffy), and everything else feels janky as gently caress. The Venom Grenade feels great when you get a couple of hits on a Chosen's face. And then you have to hit 3 more AND STILL PUNCH HIM if you want him dead.

There's definitely something there, but it's going to require some patching and possibly more effort than Bioware cares to give it to even rival ME3.

I think that's why ME3 worked so well. Want to be a Vanguard? Right this way. Want to carry massive weapons and fill the air with bullets? Certainly sir. Want to cause explosions but biotics aren't you thing? Got you covered. Want to be a kickflipping glass cannon murdering spawns at a time with your grenades? The Drell in pink, sir. Want to be a sniper but your class only gets shotgun benefits? I have just the thing, I have one myself.

Now here and the most viable classes are the ones that are literally invisible all the time, or punching everything to death, or shooting in the face with sniper rifles.

It's such a goddamn step down, and Observers so easily eclipse Geth Bombers as the most bullshit enemy that it's just not interesting to me.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure the autoaim has been turned way the gently caress down which is... well, on consoles it's annoying. Because I'm a terrible shot at the best of times.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm enjoying it and there's nothing wrong with it that can't be fixed in patches. It's just a matter of whether they do or not.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

To be honest I don't really like the jetpacks. I think they're kind of clunky, I constantly get caught on things and I have to mash my face into a ledge like 5 times sometimes before my guy decides to climb up it. Maybe just the fault of lag? It's really bad with lag + player collision. I've definitely evaded away and been grabbed by a Fiend two rooms away. Hovering is fun but there needs to be a way to do it without zooming so i can strafe dudes.

I also kind of liked the hard cover system better. It's especially bad when I have to manually switch the camera to the other shoulder if I want to shoot around a corner.

I don't know, I just think there is something tense/fun about moving around in cover, rolling between walls/doors/boxes trying to create some space and get into a good position without exposing yourself. Just jumping in the air and boosting away isn't quite the same.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer
Here's some fun:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S26fZNwvoDA

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My main gripe with the game are the guns and collision detection right now.

I've given in to just using vanguards right now cause I don't have any fun guns but I do have far to much melee gear.

InnercityGriot
Dec 31, 2008

waah posted:

I've been really disappointed with it. I loved the first multiplayer, but this just doesn't have the same addictiveness. Aside from what everyone knows, that most of the guns feel weak, I think the new emphasis on getting flushed from cover and jetting around feels too chaotic and doesn't have the same thrill of holding a corner of the map from a big wave of enemies. I basically hate the little fuckers designed to flush you from cover. The enemies in general feel kind of boring, like the Banshee is way scarier and cooler from a design perspective than anything in this. The class selection is kind of unoriginal and I wish that Bioware had been more inventive with new races or something because just the Angara isn't doing it for me. And I know I'm kind of belaboring the point here, but how a game design team made a game built around shooting and powers and most of your methods for doing those two things feel like poo poo is really amazingly bad.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
The balance issues are so blatant they could be mostly solved by running a script to multiply damage values of everything and then toning melee and the Vanquisher back down

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Nechronic posted:

Right now the game feels stale to me because the rewards you're grinding towards aren't satisfying. It's not exciting when you unlock a new class or gun because they're either bad or they won't be at their best until you get their card 9 more times.

This is a pretty good point as well I think. When I'm only interested in 3 or 4 weapons and 2 or 3 classes, opening loot boxes is always a bad time. Each gun in this game has use challenges and trying out different guns is something I was really looking forward to... until I realized 95% of them seem to be poo poo. The class variety just isn't enough for me to keep playing and using the same weapons.

Edit: I also agree with a lot of the other stuff. Ledges intended to be scaled feel too high to the point where it might take multiple jumps. Collision with enemies/players tends to make the camera weird. Melee targeting is so bad I wrote off melee characters completely.

katkillad2 fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 31, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

InnercityGriot posted:

I've been really disappointed with it. I loved the first multiplayer, but this just doesn't have the same addictiveness. Aside from what everyone knows, that most of the guns feel weak, I think the new emphasis on getting flushed from cover and jetting around feels too chaotic and doesn't have the same thrill of holding a corner of the map from a big wave of enemies. I basically hate the little fuckers designed to flush you from cover. The enemies in general feel kind of boring, like the Banshee is way scarier and cooler from a design perspective than anything in this. The class selection is kind of unoriginal and I wish that Bioware had been more inventive with new races or something because just the Angara isn't doing it for me. And I know I'm kind of belaboring the point here, but how a game design team made a game built around shooting and powers and most of your methods for doing those two things feel like poo poo is really amazingly bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gL4XqkQOFU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I actually miss this.

The enemies in this are to quiet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It was great, honestly. Against Reapers at least you could tell what was coming. The brutes made that throaty growl, there was Banshees, and your character would call out whatever they saw. I know they do the announcing in A, but it's just not the same. And when you have two Banshees hopping after you screaming and howling the whole way, it got pretty tense.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
They should probably be stronger but I really enjoy the Outlaw faction. I really missed fighting the mercs from ME2 in ME3.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The banshee sound was absolutely horrible and sounded like a nonstop looping .wav of a chimpanzee screeching into a low quality microphone. I goddamn hate sustained cacophonous sounds like that and it was the only loving thing you'd hear for the entire length of time one was alive, which was basically most waves against reapers because they were sponges just as bad as andromeda's. I'm very glad nothing sounds anything remotely like that in andromeda. The sound in this game is incredible and I'm pretty drat sure DICE helped them with it again, based on how much the indoor reverb sounds like battlefield's.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

I've been sending my lv18 team out on gold missions nonstop for the last 2 days.
They've failed each and every one of them, and no negative traits yet.
My teams are actually failing a good portion of their missions, which is in turn loving up their xp and my mission fund gains.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

Hmm, so do you folks think that people will go back to ME3 multiplayer then? I never gave it a shot, but I'm enjoying the parts of Andromeda MP that I've been playing, aside from the weapons all being poo poo with notable exceptions. I'll have to go reinstall it and give it some playtime I guess if this keeps up.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010
Well, I've been having fun playing the MP, connectivity issues aside. I do play with a bunch of friends so we don't suffer from netcode or terrible lag issues, so it does improve our enjoyment of the game. That said, I'm going to try to list some of the better weapons in the game. Note that most of my weapons aren't at Rank X and I'm still operating with Barrel mods that are Rank 3 at best.

Note: There might be some weapons that are actually serviceable that don't appear on this list, because I personally don't like using them. For example, I don't like using semi-auto rifles because I don't like RSI. Or I might not have those weapons and I don't know how effective they are.

Extra note: Effectiveness is measured by how fast it takes to kill a basic mook. This means landing mostly headshots, regardless of how many bullets it takes. Ammo is technically unlimited in this game, all that matters it TTK. Every weapon in this following list is able to kill a basic mook in under 5 seconds, assuming all shot lands on target.

Common:

Charger: Great up to bronze and silver, less great on Gold. Good damage, fire rate, decent accuracy. Effective at close and medium ranges, don't bother trying to snipe with this.

Avenger: Like the Charger, but slightly less damage for better accuracy and range.

Viper: Baby's first sniper rifle. Good enough to use on bronze and silver, if you don't have better sniper rifles to use.

Uncommon:

Carnifex: Slow-firing semiauto pistol. Decent for popping heads at a distance, but not the powerhouse it used to be in ME3.

Raptor: One of the most versatile weapons in the game right now. Great accuracy and ROF, great damage. Able to drill an entire clip into a tight cluster, and still works decently well at close range when not zoomed. I think it suffers less of a penalty when not scoped, but I can't confirm that.

Widow: Bolt-action sniper rifle. Much less impressive than it was in ME3, considering its only an uncommon now. Up to silver, still able to pop mooks with a single bodyshot, so its still good.

Rare:

Falcon: One of the only Assault Rifles worth a drat. Fires a grenade that bounces of walls and explodes after 2 seconds, or explodes instantly on a direct hit on a target. Good damage, easy enough to judge the arc and travel time even at longer ranges. Also very good at triggering special ammunition effects. Much improved since ME3.

Venom: Like the Falcon, with slightly more damage at the cost of a lower ROF and clip size.

Scorpion: Like the other grenade launcher weapons, but grenades stick to the target and explode after 2 seconds (they don't explode on contact). Weight has been reduced since ME3.

Sidewinder: Fast-firing semiauto pistol. Good accuracy, damage is a bit on the low side. But it's weight makes it a good secondary weapon to carry.

Isharay: Direct upgrade to the Widow.

Lanat: Semiauto sniper rifle. Great damage, although the recoil is a bit heavy. The charge mechanic is good for heavy targets, especially immobile ones like Nullifiers, or if you wanna pop somebody through a wall or something.

Vanquisher: Like the Lanat, but with lower damage, faster fire rate and less recoil. More comfortable to use.

Thokin: The other Assault Rifle that's worth a drat. 'Homing' bullets are decent enough, I guess, but it's main strength is that is has much less accuracy decay with sustained fire. Small clip, not a lot of spare ammo. Reminiscent of the Cerberus Harrier, without the incredible damage.

Talon: The best shotgun worth using and its not even a shotgun. Good damage, good accuracy, a bit on the heavy side. Like most shotguns, is not great at range.

Revenant(?): I've never liked the Revenant, although I do like the sound it makes when it fires. But I've never really found it to be effective, even in ME3. My friend swears by it, though and he says its as good as ever, so we'll have to take his word for it.

Ultra-Rare:

Valiant: Direct upgrade to the Vanquisher.

Black Widow: Direct upgrade to the Lanat.

Hurricane: Direct upgrade to the Charger.

Eagle: Similar to the Hurricane, but with higher damage, lowered ROF and a much smaller clip size. Better sustained accuracy than the Hurricane.

P.A.W.: This one is weird. It has low damage, but has perfect accuracy and no decay and unlimited ammo. And with the limited testing I've done, it seems to do more damage to Remnant. I'll need to play around with it more, but right now, it's a pretty decent weapon.

Zakmonster fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Mar 31, 2017

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I just want the Valkyrie. Then I'll have no problem with anything evermore.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

PureRok posted:

I just want the Valkyrie. Then I'll have no problem with anything evermore.

I miss the sheer ocean of weapons we eventually had to choose from in ME3 MP and I hope it gets back there at some point.

I really miss the Phaeston, too :/

comatose
Nov 23, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I watched a bit of that stream and the kill feed was literally 95% melee kills lol. There was one guy using a vanquisher who was doing ok and every now and then someone would snipe a kill with scattershot.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Magmarashi posted:

I really miss the Phaeston, too :/
Vindicator was pretty respectable too with a decent amount of stability.

It'd get you through silver at any rate.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vJzP7pxCKM

I just want my Geth Trooper back :smith:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A few more upload objectives against kett where no one was using the extremely small list of things that kill poo poo in a satisfying length of time, and I may be ready to put this on hold outside of apex missions until they address some of this poo poo. The static visuals are great, the sound is some of the best I've ever heard, the controls are miles better than mass effect 3, and I really like the fact that you no longer pop like a soap bubble on gold if an enemy so much as breathes on you, so making the tiniest mistake or the game being mildly janky for a moment no longer means you're instantly dead. So the balance of the difficulty settings in general feels much better. Good stuff.

Just about everything else feels like they learned nothing from mass effect 3 and just made some poo poo without analyzing what they were doing at all. One of the enemy factions is still a fuckton harder than everything else, except it's even more extreme than last time. They repeated the design atrocity that is sync kills and made them even worse somehow. Enemies are still some of the biggest sponges I've ever met in a shooter, which is exacerbated by some of the visual effects being worse, mainly on melee and powers. They still have the dumbass microtransactions that encourage them to design around weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality, and a really artificial grind that makes your gear objectively weaker until you've unlocked the same thing 10 times. So they still balanced their game like poo poo on purpose. But a much greater amount of the uncommon and rare stuff is garbage compared to mass effect 3, which leads me to believe a lot of the bad balance is unintentional. I was excited as gently caress when I saw there were 46 (now 47) guns in the game, but now I barely even care about unlocking stuff because the great majority of what I get hits like wet paper, where my only way of making it better is a long and sloggy road of incrementally unlocking the same thing.

And all of this is ignoring everything technical, ie the bad netcode and frequent bugs. I really want to like this game but it's extremely hard to do so right now. Much of the worst of mass effect 3 has been repeated, and that is hard to forgive. Almost none of these issues are mistakes bioware is making for the first time.

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

Just crashed to the home screen.
Did that stream give an ETA for any manner of patch?

subroc
Jun 5, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

To be honest I don't really like the jetpacks. I think they're kind of clunky, I constantly get caught on things and I have to mash my face into a ledge like 5 times sometimes before my guy decides to climb up it. Maybe just the fault of lag? It's really bad with lag + player collision. I've definitely evaded away and been grabbed by a Fiend two rooms away. Hovering is fun but there needs to be a way to do it without zooming so i can strafe dudes.

I also kind of liked the hard cover system better. It's especially bad when I have to manually switch the camera to the other shoulder if I want to shoot around a corner.

I don't know, I just think there is something tense/fun about moving around in cover, rolling between walls/doors/boxes trying to create some space and get into a good position without exposing yourself. Just jumping in the air and boosting away isn't quite the same.

Jetpacks are my biggest problem with the game too. ME3 had a lot more emphasis on tactical awareness. Controlling spawn points and funneling mobs down kill zones so you could unleash holy hell on them. Now it's just a giant clusterfuck with mobs sneaking past your line of defense and people flying and dashing everywhere. The balance has moved away from strategic and more towards twitch gameplay.

That with the aforementioned lovely guns and bad powers, well it's just not fun. I'm going to work on single player for a while and look back in from time to time

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

SmallpoxJenkins posted:

Just crashed to the home screen.
Did that stream give an ETA for any manner of patch?

Bioware said they are going to announce a "response to feedback" on Tuesday but that seemed more oriented toward the single player.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

Bioware said they are going to announce a "response to feedback" on Tuesday but that seemed more oriented toward the single player.

https://youtu.be/DqgRP5_YKu0

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

subroc posted:

Jetpacks are my biggest problem with the game too. ME3 had a lot more emphasis on tactical awareness. Controlling spawn points and funneling mobs down kill zones so you could unleash holy hell on them. Now it's just a giant clusterfuck with mobs sneaking past your line of defense and people flying and dashing everywhere. The balance has moved away from strategic and more towards twitch gameplay.

That with the aforementioned lovely guns and bad powers, well it's just not fun. I'm going to work on single player for a while and look back in from time to time

Nah

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

I agree. MEA gameplay is the same type of gameplay I used in ME3MP, on Gold and Platinum. Staying in one place was suicide, it was far better to keep mobile and keep moving, especially when the tougher mobs started spawning. It would take long enough to kill an Atlas, for instance, that you'd run the risk of getting swarmed by the mooks.

And when they introduced more mobs that were designed to flush you out of cover, it made the mobile gameplay more valuable. Jetpacks just helps this along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

A few more upload objectives against kett where no one was using the extremely small list of things that kill poo poo in a satisfying length of time, and I may be ready to put this on hold outside of apex missions until they address some of this poo poo. The static visuals are great, the sound is some of the best I've ever heard, the controls are miles better than mass effect 3, and I really like the fact that you no longer pop like a soap bubble on gold if an enemy so much as breathes on you, so making the tiniest mistake or the game being mildly janky for a moment no longer means you're instantly dead. So the balance of the difficulty settings in general feels much better. Good stuff.

Just about everything else feels like they learned nothing from mass effect 3 and just made some poo poo without analyzing what they were doing at all. One of the enemy factions is still a fuckton harder than everything else, except it's even more extreme than last time. They repeated the design atrocity that is sync kills and made them even worse somehow. Enemies are still some of the biggest sponges I've ever met in a shooter, which is exacerbated by some of the visual effects being worse, mainly on melee and powers. They still have the dumbass microtransactions that encourage them to design around weapon rarity being closely tied to weapon quality, and a really artificial grind that makes your gear objectively weaker until you've unlocked the same thing 10 times. So they still balanced their game like poo poo on purpose. But a much greater amount of the uncommon and rare stuff is garbage compared to mass effect 3, which leads me to believe a lot of the bad balance is unintentional. I was excited as gently caress when I saw there were 46 (now 47) guns in the game, but now I barely even care about unlocking stuff because the great majority of what I get hits like wet paper, where my only way of making it better is a long and sloggy road of incrementally unlocking the same thing.

And all of this is ignoring everything technical, ie the bad netcode and frequent bugs. I really want to like this game but it's extremely hard to do so right now. Much of the worst of mass effect 3 has been repeated, and that is hard to forgive. Almost none of these issues are mistakes bioware is making for the first time.

Don't forget eye searing special effects on some classes.

• Locked thread