Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Well, since Curly hasn't posted his plan yet, here's the short version of my plan:

Set up like this in FdE. Get the new artillery not too far away from that. Hold the line and fortify. This gives us a rock-solid hold on the North, and a degree of protection towards the center. Something similar is to be done with one brigade in the Blob. The infantry in the SE FdE trench should rush the hopefully empty trench North of it while lenoon's artillery pounds the crossings, and hold the line until dawn, then retreat, or if we want to risk it, or it can hold the line where it is and serve as artillery bait. The brigade near the Southernmost ford is to cross the ford and fortify there. Bac goes on a wild ride to La Dand.

Simple to execute, and completely anchors one of our flanks in a way that the enemy hopefully won't see until it's too late to do anything about it. Forces the enemy to take risks with artillery in order to target us. Not prone to going spectacularly wrong because a brigade got lost in the night. If we don't get attacked by dawn, it also keeps our troops fresh, and ready to hold the line for a while, while the enemy brigades that took part in the fighting get an extra exhaustion chit. Gives us good positions to launch a counterattack on the enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Here's the short version of my plan:

Based on our sightings last turn, the Super-Brigade is probably still where it was. I've traced out how it can move once they give it new orders, and moving at full speed it'll still be in a strung-out formation no matter which way it goes. We can advance in a wider/more combat ready formation.

So my plan is that our artillery drops on the last known position of those German remnants first turn, while the 21st Brigade charges north full of piss and vinegar. The spare guns (3-4 depending on how sure you want to be hitting things in the trench) can drop on the road/ford where the enemy brigade will be moving. After the first turn the artillery can focus entirely on hitting the road/ford area, laying it on thick while the 21st Brigade digs into those northern trenches. This should savage any attempted crossing and the 21st should be able to handle any stragglers that make it through.

The reinforcement brigades will move in to either support the 21st Brigade's position or finish up what it started. Then we spread out to cover the river front and prepare to hold there through the rest of the night.

Really looking at it, the choice is whether or not we want to advance our Reinforcement infantry brigades to support/clean up after the 21st or do we want them to preemptively dig in further back.

EDIT:

There is also a variant of the plan discussed with my dad, where we bring on my artillery and an infantry brigade first. Lenoon uses his ammunition to bombard the rear-areas where the Germans might be moving troops up, then my artillery sets up and bombards the trench for a few turns so that we have time to get 2 infantry brigades ready to charge at the same time. However, the coordination of this at night is dicey.

professor_curly fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 31, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I'm not really seeing any incompatibilities between these two plans. The Curly Plan could be fired and hopefully interdict the enemy super-brigade, and if that fails the Mon Pere Plan would be ready to contain the enemy breakthrough.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Basically yes. My plan is we send the reinforcements forward, my dad says leave them back and have them build a back line. I want to aggressively defend the ford, he wants to build a line further back.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Whatever it is, deadline is definitely tomorrow at 5pm, so defecate or remove yourself from the latrine

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Brigadier General T Effigies, 20TH INF BRIGADE

Fluff: Let's see if we can spread a little :supaburn: SURPRISE AND TERROR :supaburn: in the opposition :getin:

Fatigue tokens: 1, will gain 2nd token at 0800 tomorrow

*******************************************************************************************

ORDERS FOR 20TH INFANTRY BRIGADE

The Brigade shall advance across the M7 ford and slip around the barbed wire on the eastern side as shown below. While crossing the ford, the following standing orders are in effect:

Standing Orders during Advance

quote:

Turn and move directly towards enemy
Launch a Bayonet Charge
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

Once across the ford, the Brigade shall take up positions as shown below and switch to Defend. While on Defend, the following standing orders are in effect:

Standing Orders on Defense

quote:

Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

CONDITIONALS

None

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

professor_curly posted:

Basically yes. My plan is we send the reinforcements forward, my dad says leave them back and have them build a back line. I want to aggressively defend the ford, he wants to build a line further back.

Ultimately, we need to pick one of these options, and play our artillery and the attacking infantry brigade with that in mind. Either is a good plan. We just need to, you know, not half-rear end the one we choose.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

Current discussion in roll20: gently caress everything and launch a massive assault South, recapturing half the map.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
They make a surprisingly good argument for it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Lol okay. Walk me through how 'send one cavalry officer on a feint' turned into 'all in' :v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Basically, my dad and I can't be left alone in the Roll20 for more than an hour, because our ideas become increasingly beautiful and terrible to behold. I think this started out as a plan to maybe move Lenoon's artillery forward and to counterbattery on that trenchline SW of Stethoscope full of artillery.

Then we started iterating on that line of thought.

Now we're saying shove 2.5 brigades and some engineers over the south, counter-battery the hell out of the center and then either take Stethoscope, advance to La Dand or both why not aim for the sun boyos.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Here is my potential part in the insanity. Send an engineer with the infantry push to go build a bridge across the river. This way we can sort of minimize the amount of blind fumbling about we will be doing.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My understanding:

The defence of Effyaders is based on Mon Pere's plan of containment. One brigade of reinforcements comes in to blockade the western edge of the woods, while the existing brigade in the woods pulls back to blockade the southwestern edge, also preventing a possible beeline towards our artillery.

Meanwhile, the brigade outside Bois de Blob goes gently caress it and charges across the river to perform mayhem on the enemy, while the other brigade of reinforcements comes in to take up their former positions.

Later, marked in blue, the second phase of reinforcements comes in, setting up their artillery behind our new defensive perimeter and adding to it.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Only sending the J trench brigade across the river?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No, that's not it.

Wait for Curly to post. It's really a "gently caress it, YOLO" kind of plan.

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Ya nevermind, the travel times kill it. It'd be daylight before we got anywhere good with this idea.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Things Ill want to have before going along with this:

Maps and phases, including timetables.
How are we stopping super brigade in the north?
How are we not getting blown up by arty in the south?
How many units are we sending over the river?
What are their objectives?
Why is the all-in better then feint-officer?
How are we going to get all the commands to change their orders in time?
Do we need to ask for an extension?
More importantly, can we get one?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

professor_curly posted:

Ya nevermind, the travel times kill it. It'd be daylight before we got anywhere good with this idea.

Yeah. :(

It would have been amazing if we could have deployed closer to the roads, but it won't work like this.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

For everyone in my division reading this if I beg you to draw up alternate orders in a minute for this crazy ride, I'm sorry.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Plan outline: J Trench brigade begins advancing immediately, crossing the river and following the road east and then north. The goal will be either to fall upon the rear of the German gunline, or crack open Stethoscope like a big kinder surprise. Previous plans involved waiting for the reinforcements so they could join the attack, but travel time makes this impossible.

Maps and phases, including timetables.
See above :v:

Phase 1, turn 1: J Trench advances. Effyaders infantry fall back to the southwestern edge of the forest to interdict any attempt for the enemy to beeline towards our artillery. Reinforcements arrive; one infantry brigade to the north to join the Effyaders cordon, one to the south to replace the J trench defenders.

Phase 2, turn ~8: Reinforcements have arrived both north and south and have taken up defensive positions. Second wave of reinforcements arrive; both appear on the north, one artillery and one infantry, the infantry joins the Effyaders cordon and the artillery takes up firing position behind it. At this point, the former J trench brigade will be about to launch an attack on their target of choice.

How are we stopping super brigade in the north?
Containment. One existing brigade, one reinforcement brigade in phase one, one in phase two.

How are we not getting blown up by arty in the south?
All of our infantry are moving, so nobody will be in trenches or previous known positions for at least eight turns.

How many units are we sending over the river?
One

What are their objectives?
To either assault the gun trenches from the rear or launch a decapitation strike on Stethoscope, dealer's choice.

Why is the all-in better then feint-officer?
I think feint officer should still be done to cut their lines of communication and make it seem like there's even more chaos going on - if someone catches a glimpse of him, they'll assume he's an edge of an entire brigade instead of one YOLO officer.

How are we going to get all the commands to change their orders in time?
Only the J trenchers are time sensitive - if it takes more than three turns for them to start moving, they won't make their target before dawn.

Do we need to ask for an extension?
No.

More importantly, can we get one?
No.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
No. Piecemeal attacks won't work. The whole point of Operation "gently caress it" was concentrating most of our forces in a single place. This attack would just get shredded without doing anything.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Main differences appear to be:

We retreat from the north trench, and surrender the forest
We advance in the south with forceful intent, as opposed to a feint

Yes?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Right now, all their attackers on the southern half of the map got shredded, and their northern attack broke through. If they have reinforcements coming in, they're almost certainly going to be coming in to the north to try to pour through the hole they've broken in their defences, leaving their southern half undefended.

I believe a single brigade could slip through and, in the dark, launch a surprise attack on either their guns or Stethoscope. Taking out a gun regiment or taking Stethoscope would be more than worth the price of admission, especially if they've got division commanders operating out of it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
The brigade would get shredded by concentrated artillery and machine gun fire.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): That they can effortlessly swivel 180 degrees and ventilate a charge to their rear coming out of the night hurts my soul

my dad (GM): Keep in mind
That charge lasts half an hour

Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): Justifying weird gamey quirks with other weird gamey quirks doesn't really soothe the pain
my dad (GM): yeah
I know

Tehan III (8th Div) (GM): Argh, it's just... their entire southern underbelly is exposed
And we've got a brigade on hand to walk right in
And there's nothing useful we can think of to do with this?

:(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Bacarruda's wilde ride. :v:

professor_curly
Mar 4, 2016

There he is!
Loel, end this madness. Operational goals, what are they.

Do we conservatively hold a line further back? (My Dad's plan)

Do we aggressively contest their crossing at the river? (My plan)

Do we gamble it all on a counter-attack across the ford? (gently caress it)

-----

Corollary, do we want to take a risk and attempt to counter-battery their artillery line around stethoscope?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

professor_curly posted:

Loel, end this madness. Operational goals, what are they.

Do we conservatively hold a line further back? (My Dad's plan)

Do we aggressively contest their crossing at the river? (My plan)

Do we gamble it all on a counter-attack across the ford? (gently caress it)

-----

Corollary, do we want to take a risk and attempt to counter-battery their artillery line around stethoscope?

I dont think our guns have range to hit their arty.

We don't need to gamble everything when we have a 2:1 kill ratio. Gambles like that are if you are losing.

Feint in the south. (kill engineer, wild ride). 1 turn bombardment north, followed by assault.

Any questions?

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Apr 2, 2017

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Loel posted:

Any questions?

Yes, you still didn't answer his question. :v:

What do we do with the reinforcements?

You just eliminated plan "gently caress it", but both the other plans can work.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im inclined to keep them west of the forest, because I think 21 can take the trench by itself, and having a fresh reserve the enemy doesnt know about is handy.

Discussion welcome closed.

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Mar 31, 2017

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Major General Tehan III, 8th Infantry Division

Using the extremely scientific and fair system of 'top to bottom', xthetenth's 23rd and mydad's 24th brigades will enter the map first, from the easternmost possible point of the northern side. You will advance with all speed towards Foret de Effyaders and take up defensive positions as per Mon Pere's plan:

The 23rd will take up the northernmost position, and the 24th the southernmost. You are to hold at all costs; should the 21st fail in their defence, there'll be a rogue super-batallion wandering around those forests, and I feel it very likely that the enemy will be pouring reinforcements of their own into our broken line that you are replacing.

The second wave of reinforcements will be made up of sullat's 25th and professor_curly's artillery.

25th: Enter from the south and make your way to Bois de Blob, and take up a defensive position of your choice within the forest; ensure that you will be able to fire upon a) any brigades that emerge from the southern edge of Foret de Effyaders and b) and attackers coming along the central road.

Artillery: Enter from the north and advance with all speed to a position west of Foret de Effyaders, behind the newly-formed defensive lines of the 23rd and 24th. Use your judgement to decide on targets for indirect fire, in case you have time left over after you arrive and set up before the next round of orders.

My own divisional chit will enter from the north and travel with the 23rd and 24th, and then take up position behind their defensive lines and entrench around here-ish (the X, not the dot :v:):

Tehan fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Mar 31, 2017

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

The Long Ride. I hug the edge of the map, cut the Chemins wires, and then locate Tallis Sud. Then, with the hillside/escarpment always on my right, I move north and cut wires whenever I find them. I hole up in the Ferme Chatte and then wait for the next night to try and ride home.

Orders for Tonight (Night 2)
-Use Marching Orders on the yellow lines. Switch to Battle Order on the red lines.

Standing Orders -- WHILE MOVING
-Turn and move directly away from enemy if 3+ enemy chits are spotted. Once contact is broken, move around the enemy and then continue to destination
-If 1-2 enemy chits are spotted, launch a Cavalry Charge
-Pursue retreating enemies.
-Once enemies are destroyed, continue planned movements.

Standing Orders -- WHILE STATIONARY
-Dismount
-Hide
-Do not fire unless fired upon

Orders for Night 3
-Head due south to the edge of the map, then hug the map edge and head due west, cross the German bridge in the south (or the M7 ford if needed), until we reach the Bois de Blob. These standing orders apply

-Turn and move directly away from enemy if 3+ enemy chits are spotted. Once contact is broken, move around the enemy and then continue to destination

Make sure all real maps, codebooks, diaries, and sensitive info has been sent to the rear before we set off.

I put this map inside an envelope marked "Grocery List" and the put it in my pocket.

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Mar 31, 2017

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat

Tehan posted:

My own divisional chit will enter from the north and travel with the 23rd and 24th, and then take up position behind their defensive lines and entrench around here-ish (the X, not the dot :v:):

If you are planning to have a brigade fill the bois de blob, they will be well outside of your command radius, which might not be that good a scenario.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Bacarruda posted:

Make sure all maps, codebooks, diaries, and sensitive info has been sent to the rear before we set off.

.... can we give you fake maps?

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Loel posted:

.... can we give you fake maps?

At least Major Martin was dead before they stuffed him with fake intel...

I mean, I guess we could. What info did you want to give them?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Istvun posted:

If you are planning to have a brigade fill the bois de blob, they will be well outside of your command radius, which might not be that good a scenario.

A good and valid point! I'll edit a different position in.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The all in plan we just wrote :D make them think a division plus is breaking through the south

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Bacarruda posted:

The Long Ride. I hug the edge of the map, cut the Chemins wires, and then locate Tallis Sud. Then, with the hillside/escarpment always on my right, I move north and cut wires whenever I find them. I hole up in the Ferme Chatte and then wait for the next night to try and ride home.

Orders for Tonight (Night 2)
-Use Marching Orders on the yellow lines. Switch to Battle Order on the red lines.

Standing Orders -- WHILE STATIONARY
-Dismount
-Hide
-Do not fire unless fired upon

Orders for Night 3
-Head due south to the edge of the map, then hug the map edge and head due west, cross the German bridge in the south (or the M7 ford if needed), until we reach the Bois de Blob. These standing orders apply

Make sure all maps, codebooks, diaries, and sensitive info has been sent to the rear before we set off.

In any other circumstances I'd have my men give you a 21 gun salute as you ride past, but we don't want to alert the Fritz what we're up to. We'll give you a toast if any of us survive tomorrow.

One note though, we're still limited to crossing at the M7 ford until we can get eyes on the suspected German bridge. My men should have it cleared by the time you arrive.

Godspeed and give'm hell!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Brigadier General Mllaneza, 21st Bde, 7th Div
*******************************************************************************************

Fatigue tokens: 1, will gain 2nd token at 0800 tomorrow

ORDERS FOR 21st INFANTRY BRIGADE

The brigade will form up and Attack northwards to clear the woods.

Form up like so:

Advance in line abreast

If the brigade has reached position 3 above without spotting an enemy in the woods, they are to go over to Defense and occupy the trenches as shown, otherwise continue to prosecute the enemy with bayonets until they break or we do.

Conditionals
If the brigade engages the enemy and then defeats it, stay in Attack stance while moving into the trenches. Go on Defense when the trenches are occupied.

Orders while on Attack

quote:

Launch a Bayonet Charge
Do not pursue outside of the forest
Fight to the last man

Orders while on Defense

quote:

Stand fast
Use rifle fire
Do not pursue
Fight to the last man

edit: edited the conditional to make more sense.

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Mar 31, 2017

• Locked thread