Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Help Im Alive posted:

Trauma Center is the more realistic depiction of surgery anyways

Now that little bastard actually freaked me out way back when

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It is legit weird though how lately (but especially today) I'll sit down to play something, think "Eh I'd rather play X", switch to X, think "Eh I'd rather play Y", etc

Like, can't I just skip to the part where I play a video game :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ciaphas posted:

It is legit weird though how lately (but especially today) I'll sit down to play something, think "Eh I'd rather play X", switch to X, think "Eh I'd rather play Y", etc

Make a poll here, have goons pick out what you'll play next?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Help Im Alive posted:

Trauma Center is the more realistic depiction of surgery anyways

It might actually be easier to become a surgeon than to beat some of the later levels of the DS Trauma Center game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

:capitalism:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm hoping like hell they're reasonable and keep ads where you'd sort of 'expect' ads to be in VR worlds, or at least out of the way of gameplay

'course hope is a bitch like that

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Valve is the worst gaming related corporation on the planet so I'm surprised it took them this long.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

valve invented steam and subsequently the entire digital download market so some respect is warranted

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Grapplejack posted:

Palmer Luckey has been let go from Facebook, looks like. Is this the first man fired for memes?

He deserves worse for all the anti-hillary memes I had to endure.

In Training posted:

Valve is the worst gaming related corporation on the planet so I'm surprised it took them this long.

They don't even make top 20.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

valve invented steam and subsequently the entire digital download market so some respect is warranted

Yeah, Steam is loving awesome

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

In Training posted:

I don't know what this is meant to prove.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

dominating the market, that's capitalism baby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't know what this is meant to prove.

That Valve doesn't give the slightest poo poo about what is released on their platform and as a result, 99% of it is worthless crap.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Let's not forget the worst game ever made, DOTA2.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

In Training posted:

It's only this way because when they add new games to steam it pushes the old ones out

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

In Training posted:

That Valve doesn't give the slightest poo poo about what is released on their platform and as a result, 99% of it is worthless crap.

So? There are lots of lovely books on Amazon but that doesn't stop me from finding and buying ones I like.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

In Training posted:

as opposed to sony and microsoft who have extremely strict marketplace rules

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 31, 2017

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cowcaster posted:

That respect was lost with the introduction of early access

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

That respect was lost with the introduction of early access

poo poo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Valve won't make Half-Life 3 so they can get hosed.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

as apposed to sony and microsoft who have extremely strict marketplace rules

There's some poo poo on consoles, but no rpg maker games yet I think.

The PS3 avatar marketplace tho... not so good.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Cowcaster posted:

They used to...

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TF2 HAT MINING RIG posted:

The PS3 avatar marketplace tho... not so good.

PS4 and Xbox One opened to early access because steam games where making fat bank off early access games. It's a travesty, but as long as you just buy Nintendo consoles you want have to be scarred by it

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I can't believe anyone still wants or cares about Half Life 3. That's as bad as Firefly fans...

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

When was the last time you looked at XBLIG?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Cowcaster posted:

A big part of why Sony in particular has all but eliminated their quality control is because they turned away indie devs only to later have their games because critical and commercial smash hits on PC.

I'm more than happy to put up with the countless lovely games that lurk on the dregs of Steam if it means games like Undertale and Night in the Woods to get on there with minimal fuss.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am deeply invested in the continuing saga of Silent Protagonist with No Characterization and his struggles within Generic Alien Invasion Post-Apocalypse.

Valve continued to do interesting gameplay/story things with Portal 2 and Left for Dead 2, and if no one in the company has come up with something cool and interesting since then, I'd rather them just leave things lie.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i don't get how night in the woods making it onto steam is supposed to be a gotcha moment in the discussion how steam opened the floodgates for bad videogames

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

A game came out on... I wanna say Wii? That was not only RPG maker, but used default assets for everything.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's the Anime Weekend Sale on Steam, guys!!!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think i might be conflating two different conversations

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Ciaphas posted:

Many of my days off go like this and it's annoying because when I don't have a day off I'm like, "man I really wish I was playin' some fuckin' videogames instead :argh:"

Lately I have been trying to play through some specific game series and styles so it has really helped.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't it a rising tide lifts all boats kind of thing? Yeah sure, there are a poo poo-ton more crappy games on Steam, but there are also a lot more cool indie games on Steam, and people will still find quality things whether through word of mouth, social media, or other kinds of curation. More crappy games hasn't actually damaged anyone or anything significantly, this isn't going to lead to an industry crash or anything

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't it a rising tide lifts all boats kind of thing? Yeah sure, there are a poo poo-ton more crappy games on Steam, but there are also a lot more cool indie games on Steam, and people will still find quality things whether through word of mouth, social media, or other kinds of curation. More crappy games hasn't actually damaged anyone or anything significantly, this isn't going to lead to an industry crash or anything

Yes, but Valve has made sure that AAA games take precedence because they sell the highest and thus get Valve the most payback, so even the good indie games get lumped in at the bottom of the pile.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if there's a criminal case against valve for producing a Best Selling List weekly on a platform where nobody has to actually report sales numbers and their own games are top 3 every week for the last decade.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What is Night in the Woods anyway? I haven't really been paying attention, just kinda seen pictures and such. Someone just used it in the same sentence as Undertale so now I'm paying attention :v: Nevermind, there's a thread!

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Mar 31, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Yes, but Valve has made sure that AAA games take precedence because they sell the highest and thus get Valve the most payback, so even the good indie games get lumped in at the bottom of the pile.

Sure, I guess.

Are there people who really get swayed into purchasing things by the store frontpage, though? I barely even look at it at this point

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

What is Night in the Woods anyway? I haven't really been paying attention, just kinda seen pictures and such. Someone just used it in the same sentence as Undertale so now I'm paying attention :v:

It's a sort of low-key game where you play as a college drop out who returns home to a dying small town. It's mostly just social interaction with some good writing and simple puzzles.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

ImpAtom posted:

It's a sort of low-key game where you play as a college drop out who returns home to a dying small town. It's mostly just social interaction with some good writing and simple puzzles.

and they're all animals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

You're an anthropomorphic cat but also own a cat.

• Locked thread