Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fridge corn posted:

Wtf are you on about? Did you even read my post?

P sure FF6 is great even if you're deaf

Sorry I had to literally spell this out for you lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

P sure FF6 is great even if you're deaf

Sorry I had to literally spell this out for you lmao

Are you deaf?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

And yet it's still somehow more coherently and cohesively written than FF12, 13 and 15.

I like that prompto is into chocobos because so am i

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

seiferguy posted:

Really, a better discussion would be to categorize the types of music:

Best Overworld Music: FF5's merged worlds theme
Best Battle Music: FF15
Best Generic Boss Music: FF4
Best Special Boss music : Battle On the Big Bridge from FF5, Battle to the Death from FF6 is a near second
Best Final Boss Music: FF7
Best Town Music: FF8 Balamb Garden, Black Mage Village is 2nd place
Best Dungeon Music: Phantom Forest / Cave in the Veldt from FF6
Best Airship Music: Hilda Garde from FF9 (but most airship music is bad, tbh)
Best Feature Song (aka the one with vocals): Answers from FF14
Best Game Over Music: FF1
Best Character Theme Song: Gau from FF6
Best Ending Music: FF6
Best Chocobo Song: FF4's Black Chocobo music

I'm sorry this is not how you say "Everything from Tactics and Six"

Especially

Best Overworld Theme: Terra's theme
Best Generic Boss Music: The Pervert~ (Lucavi Demon Battle Theme)

I mean seriously. The Pervert. It writes itself.

fakedit: Also I am coming to learn that fridge corn is the Belzac of this thread.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
What's the general story of FFXIV? I bought it on sale recently. Played a couple of hours and then promptly uninstalled it when I had several quests to kill X number of rats, sheep, and mushrooms

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Thundercracker posted:

What's the general story of FFXIV? I bought it on sale recently. Played a couple of hours and then promptly uninstalled it when I had several quests to kill X number of rats, sheep, and mushrooms

There's like a 10000 character limit on posts here.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Thundercracker posted:

Story of XIV in a nutshell:

Incompetent bureaucracy relies on outsourced help to fix every last god drat issue from leaky pipes to uncovering who framed roger rabbit.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Thundercracker posted:

If killing 5 X is a dealbreaker for you it's probably good you stopped where you did, I love FFXIV a lot but it occasionally pulls much more annoying moves than that.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

brokenknee posted:

Story of XIV in a nutshell:

Incompetent bureaucracy relies on outsourced help to fix every last god drat issue from leaky pipes to uncovering who framed roger rabbit.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
[wandering aimlessly in a dungeon, fighting encounters randomly with invisible enemies]: Aw HELL yeah, this is #winning!!

[npc instructs me to kill specific types of enemies]: *makes the nope stretch engineer face, turns 360 degrees like the xbox 360 and walks away*

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

Evil Empire is invading politically conflicted land which is also dealing with rear end in a top hat invaders from another dimension and a near-constant swarm of mad gods.

The only important part:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hapqB91vg

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
True #winning is running away from every encounter and come up with increasingly convoluted ways to avoid gaining experience.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

ImpAtom posted:

Evil Empire is invading politically conflicted land which is also dealing with rear end in a top hat invaders from another dimension and a near-constant swarm of mad gods.

So FF6-2?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

So FF6-2?

The plot is pretty bluntly a giant mix of various FFs, yeah, but it works out pretty well for what it is and has a surprising amount of effort put into the worldbuilding.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
S tier soundtracks; every soundtrack written by Uematsu or Soken.
A tier: Every soundtrack by Shimomura or Mizuta.
B tier: Hamauzu
F tier: Hitoshi Sakimoto is literal garbage.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah, he's fine.

I really like the VC soundtrack actually.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Arist posted:

Nah, he's fine.

I really like the VC soundtrack actually.

Addendum: Sakimoto's work on FF is bad. VC and the work they've done at Vanillaware is ok.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Countblanc posted:

[wandering aimlessly in a dungeon, fighting encounters randomly with invisible enemies]: Aw HELL yeah, this is #winning!!

[npc instructs me to kill specific types of enemies]: *makes the nope stretch engineer face, turns 360 degrees like the xbox 360 and walks away*

This is my attitude exactly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
None of you describing XIV's story are touching on your work in dealing with absurdly corrupt governments, useless militias, insane ancient bullshit, and the true villain of the entire game: Worst Diplomat Alphinaud.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

FF14 is the best because the second you say something bad about it the defense force arrives

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I didn't have time for any of that because I had to pick up my secretary's mail.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
People who like mmorpgs are mentally ill

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Cleretic posted:

None of you describing XIV's story are touching on your work in dealing with absurdly corrupt governments, useless militias, insane ancient bullshit, and the true villain of the entire game: Worst Diplomat Alphinaud.

Midgarsormr turns into a baby dragon and it is the only thing significant that happens

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

corn in the bible posted:

People who like mmorpgs are mentally ill

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions..

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Failboattootoot posted:

He's fine, just he shouldn't he allowed near games that aren't sprawling open world wrpgs

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Captain Baal posted:

Midgarsormr turns into a baby dragon and it is the only thing significant that happens

Tiny dragon dad following you around and calling you out on your fuckups is the best.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
huh i can't remember any music from ffta but it must have existed

*time passes*

all the uploads on youtube are either recorded right off the GBA or this guy intentionally made the soundtrack low-res midi's

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

*time passes*

all the uploads on youtube are either recorded right off the GBA or this guy intentionally made the soundtrack low-res midi's

but why would you ignore the superior War of the Lions tho

i mean if that's your lifestyle choice i'll only mildly mock you for it...

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i had a gba as a kid, and not a ps1

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
and war of the lions didn't exist as a kid so i wouldn't remember the music from that regardless

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

war of the lions is literally just FFT for the PSP

Killing Vector
May 3, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

*time passes*

IIRC, the FFTA soundtrack had one disc with the music as you'd hear it on the GBA and another disc with higher quality versions of the songs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

brokenknee posted:

With a better translation

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

brokenknee posted:

yeah but in case they updated the music wanted to cover my bases

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Baltier is PSP exclusive

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Killing Vector posted:

IIRC, the FFTA soundtrack had one disc with the music as you'd hear it on the GBA and another disc with higher quality versions of the songs.

that is a terrible idea, and so therefore i am not surprised at all

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Sakurazuka posted:

With a better translation

That's subjective.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
FFTA had a really sick arranged album called "White", but it must have been insanely rare or something because it was hard to find rips on youtube for a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UaLIHkE7ndE

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Gologle posted:

That's subjective.

It's not subjective at all unless you're clinically insane.

Hi Gologle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Failboattootoot posted:

It's good for background music when you are 99% not focused on the music. Some of the stuff in FFT is pretty decent. I liked the Estersand theme. That's the extent of nice things I have to say about his FF music.