Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Numerical Anxiety posted:

He's a confusion of grammatical cases?

Yes, he is the English language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Friendly reminder that Shbobdb is a horrible gimmick poster who spams threads with half baked conspiracy nonsense. Unless you'd like to revisit Jastiger city, don't reply.

Deteriorata posted:

The right two are clearly the Cowardly Lion and the Scarecrow. I haven't figured out the other two.

OwlFancier posted:

You can pick stuff you like while remaining completely conscious that you really are just picking things you like, I find the perspective to be productive.

I think that's Odin/Wodan.

His name is Jens Villy, and he's a killer flute/string player!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

The wrong word. :v: I was looking for dystheist, a believer in a hostile god.

"Misotheist" is also a word, though it means that regardless of a/the deity's hostility, the person actively hates it. A misotheist could be a dystheist (they hate a god because it is bad) or an eutheist (they hate a god even though it is good), or, presumably, could have no position at all on the/that god's goodness/benevolence. Misotheist is even the older word, having been coined in the 1800s, whereas dystheist (and its opposite, eutheist) weren't recorded until 1990. :eng101:

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Mar 29, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

zonohedron posted:

"Misotheist" is also a word, though it means that regardless of a/the deity's hostility, the person actively hates it. A misotheist could be a dystheist (they hate a god because it is bad) or an eutheist (they hate a god even though it is good), or, presumably, could have no position at all on the/that god's goodness/benevolence. Misotheist is even the older word, having been coined in the 1800s, whereas dystheist (and its opposite, eutheist) weren't recorded until 1990. :eng101:

tuxedo catfish, do you hate god or does god hate you

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

HEY GAIL posted:

tuxedo catfish, do you hate god or does god hate you

I think the appropriate stance of a human being towards the universe is defiance. If I went a step further and ascribed the universe a will, then I would have to commit to an answer here.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
What does defiance look like?

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

CountFosco posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-9eUXSzZNk

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CountFosco posted:

That video's actually a pretty good answer, heh. "Our revenge is to live."

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

I was hoping you would post the TV series, but that would make less sense.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i just posted the first thing with defiance in the title i could find as a goof

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

CountFosco posted:

quote:

Towards thee I roll, thou all-destroying but unconquering whale; to the last I grapple with thee; from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee.

The whale is God, you see.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

The Whale is Death; none of what I'm saying maps cleanly onto God unless he lacks most of the properties a Christian would describe as divine. (Otherwise why would I be an atheist?)

Plus Ahab believes he can win which honestly kind of disqualifies him.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
so in this death as a giant white dick discourse would ahab be that guy who wants to live forever so he can gently caress sexbots

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Yes. Just like Peter Thiel.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

CountFosco posted:

Seeing the universe for the fact that it spins on pain and suffering and then forcing oneself to be a moral superior to any being that set it in motion. Be that through working tirelessly for the common good or otherwise.

Its why I personally dislike Isaiah 45:9, because YES the pot should ask the potter about what he is doing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

JcDent posted:

Yes. Just like Peter Thiel.

See, I get why the Buddhist is making fun of me for this, but mocking the impulse towards conquering death when it's one of Christ's great accomplishments seems a little disingenuous. :v:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Mar 30, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

also i don't want to live long enough to gently caress a sexbot, i want to live long enough to see sexbots unionize

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See, I get why the Buddhist is making fun of me for this, but mocking the impulse towards conquering death when it's one of Christ's great accomplishments seems a little disingenous. :v:

if you think i'm making fun of you instead of a combo moby dick joke/sexbot guy reference then i wish i had the self esteem you have

in the words of son goku, i just saw an opening and had to take it

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

also i don't want to live long enough to gently caress a sexbot, i want to live long enough to see sexbots unionize

i too cant wait for season 2 of westworld

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Senju Kannon posted:

so in this death as a giant white dick discourse would ahab be that guy who wants to live forever so he can gently caress sexbots

As an undergraduate I wrote an essay about how Ahab was a cyborg. His whalebone leg slots into a socket in the ship, fusing them into a single biological-technological entity. Also the ship is part masonry, and the try pots are fueled by whale oil, which was important for some reason.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i feel like we would not have been friends as undergrads

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

See, I get why the Buddhist is making fun of me for this, but mocking the impulse towards conquering death when it's one of Christ's great accomplishments seems a little disingenuous. :v:

Peter Thiel won't die for your sins, but he will visit a conference hosted by Turkish deep state or something.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Peter Thiel is like the opposite of Jesus in that he consumes the blood of others rather than the other way around.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

OwlFancier posted:

Peter Thiel is like the opposite of Jesus in that he consumes the blood of others rather than the other way around.

I'd buy Silicon Valley as the seat of the Antichrist

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

StashAugustine posted:

I'd buy Silicon Valley as the seat of the Antichrist

Eventually the old and rich will never have to die and will just live of the blood of poor people as things become even more of an 18th century metaphor.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Mar 30, 2017

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You joke but if we somehow develop a sentient AI (which I doubt is even possible) then that will displace evolution as something that makes gigantic waves in Christian theology. Namely if an AI is capable of genuine religious expression then it upends a lot of sacramental theology and also pretty much ruins Calvin's idea of total depravity.

Also expect an exciting debate as to whether or not robots can take communion.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Eh. St. Christopher becomes the patron saint of someone new, and life goes on.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

CountFosco posted:

Well, de fiancee thinks he's handsome.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yes but the Catholic position will be that you have to put the eucharist into the optical media drive and pour wine into the ethernet port. Protestants will use USB or firewire instead depending on denomination, radical theologians will suggest that communion can be given over bluetooth which will cause another schism.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
Anyway looks like Twitter's favorite Jesuit is coming to town to talk

That's St. Cecelia's on Belvidere over by Berklee, Boston-area thread parishioners

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

What I want to know is what happens when a robot decides to join a monastery.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So, more random questions from me.

What do people here think of "Gnosticism?" I know it's a semi-useless umbrella term but I'm mainly just wondering if you would regard them as fellow Christians?
What do you think of certain non-canonical "Gnostic" Gospels?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Thirteen Orphans posted:

There was also that time Jastiger implied I was a menace to society which was funny as hell.

That was the time i quoted your own post back to you. Deal with not having any explanatory power.

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."

NikkolasKing posted:

What do people here think of "Gnosticism?" I know it's a semi-useless umbrella term but I'm mainly just wondering if you would regard them as fellow Christians?

Pure heresy, interesting only as history. The sanctification and redemption of bodily humanity is essential to the Christian faith.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I probably would, but I'm certainly a little more loosey-goosey when it comes to that than our liturgigoons. I've felt drawn to Gnosticism in the past. I think it has a lot of appeal. The idea of the demiurge is useful for explaining the harshness of the God as seen in the OT. It also has that seductive allure of secret knowledge, which I've always been drawn to.

However, I do think Christianity is critically engaged with both issues of the body and of the soul. Gnosticism tries to eschew the importance of the body entirely, which I don't think is particularly fruitful.

I like reading the gnostic gospels. I think it's worthwhile to explore how other people have engaged Christ throughout history, even if their conclusions are fundamentally different than (or even opposed to) mine.

The ultimate failing of Gnosticism is, of course, its lack of explanatory power.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

The Phlegmatist posted:

You joke but if we somehow develop a sentient AI (which I doubt is even possible) then that will displace evolution as something that makes gigantic waves in Christian theology. Namely if an AI is capable of genuine religious expression then it upends a lot of sacramental theology and also pretty much ruins Calvin's idea of total depravity.

What if an Amazon drone runs away with the Eucharist?

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

JcDent posted:

What if an Amazon drone runs away with the Eucharist?

I confess, I giggled at the image.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

NikkolasKing posted:

Which gnosticism? The gnosticism of the early Christianity period or the gnosticism of Philip K Dick and other moderns? Gnosticism can be quite different depending on the gnostic.

I would regard them as fellow Christians, although I think that philosophically there are some pretty big errors going on there. It strikes me as the wrong answer to the right question (the problem of evil).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Phlegmatist posted:

Eh. I'd say AIs are free to believe in God or not as they choose. Always got a kick out of doing the Ascent to Transcendance in Alpha Centauri as the Lord's Believers. Hi, godlike alien planet-mind. Do you have a few minutes to hear the good word of Jesus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jastiger posted:

That was the time i quoted your own post back to you. Deal with not having any explanatory power.

get out

• Locked thread