Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Well, can you get any Pixel you want right now? Potentially no, so I can understand it missing from that list.

The HTC 10 is a valid choice though. Better still than the U.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Sereri posted:

gently caress, is there anything you can't solve by throwing enough neural networking at it?
Exploding batteries :smith:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

EdEddnEddy posted:

Well, can you get any Pixel you want right now? Potentially no, so I can understand it missing from that list.

The HTC 10 is a valid choice though. Better still than the U.

You can get black or silver XL's right now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Read the last entry. Clearly availability is not a prerequisite for being in the list.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Going to be on vacation soon and wanted to get pocketable USB battery packs to charge my 6P and wife's Pixel. You still can't get any good USB-C battery packs in pocketable sizes! Now I'm going to have to get regular USB packs (I prefer the type with integrated cables while traveling so I don't lose cables) and hope I don't lose USB-C adapters.

Aukey makes a 5000mah USB-C pack, but 1) it doesn't have captive cables and 2) it sucks anyway.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

My S7 Edge just updated to 7.0 today and what the hell happened to borderless icons? Most icons have a big, fat white border. The whole thing is just kind of ugly from the icons to even the font across the notification bar.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

They really should start splitting "best Android phone" into "best" and "best bargain" when making these rankings.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
So if I'm looking to spend some money but not a whole lot of money looks like the 64 gig G5 is the best choice right now?

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Toebone posted:

So if I'm looking to spend some money but not a whole lot of money looks like the 64 gig G5 is the best choice right now?

I'd wait like 1 day for the first people to get it and post any impressions. Mine is supposed to be here tomorrow. Barring any major issues it seems like a solid budget choice with decidedly non-budget features (fingerprint reader, metal chassis, etc.).

CFox
Nov 9, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

My S7 Edge just updated to 7.0 today and what the hell happened to borderless icons? Most icons have a big, fat white border. The whole thing is just kind of ugly from the icons to even the font across the notification bar.

I just got the same update on my Moto G4 and I don't see any white borders...

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Gmail​ and calendar do have awful white border icons. But Maps doesn't. Makes no sense​

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
My local Best Buy had the S8 and S8+ on display today. They were still setting it up when I walked in.

Umm, they are niiice. :stare:

I bailed on Android last year for an iPhone 7+...but...but....

I won't do it though. Samsung always fucks something up.

\/ \/ Actually I won't. I'm pretty content with having iMessage across my Macbook, iPad, Apple Watch and iPhone. I think Tim has me locked in for a while. I'm as shocked as anyone. The nerd in me wants to go back, but I can't find a reason to. So I lurk here :ninja:

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Mar 31, 2017

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

hotsauce posted:

I won't do it though.
Of course you will.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

hotsauce posted:

My local Best Buy had the S8 and S8+ on display today. They were still setting it up when I walked in.

Umm, they are niiice. :stare:

I bailed on Android last year for an iPhone 7+...but...but....

I won't do it though. Samsung always fucks something up.

Be like me and wait. I was really interested in the note 7 and ready to give Samsung a second look and then they started exploding. Maybe you have that power too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Do it hotsauce, loving do it

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Jokes on y'all he's already bought, sold and bought another S8.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Mammal Sauce posted:

It's called icon frames. You can turn it off in the display settings I believe.

PS if anyone has any S8 usability questions I'm all ears. I've got one and can answer mostly anything you wanna know.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Can Bixby answer any questions related to S8 instead

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Godinster posted:

PS if anyone has any S8 usability questions I'm all ears. I've got one and can answer mostly anything you wanna know.

I know it's the same camera hardware as the S7, but is the software/processing noticeably better?

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
Any issues with one-handed operation? I can pretty much reply to a message with one hand on my current phone, barely glancing at the screen while walking down the street. While I think the usability concerns in this thread are probably a little overblown, it'd be nice to hear from someone who's actually used it.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Desk Lamp posted:

Any issues with one-handed operation? I can pretty much reply to a message with one hand on my current phone, barely glancing at the screen while walking down the street. While I think the usability concerns in this thread are probably a little overblown, it'd be nice to hear from someone who's actually used it.

Reviews have complained about the fingerprint sensor being impossible to reach one handed.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

Got a ZTE Axon 7 a week ago and everything was fine but now I can't install anything off Google Play. The progress bar just says 'waiting for network connection'.
I have it set so I can install/update apps without a wifi connection, and I've gone through the trouble of clearing all google play/gapps services and rebooting a couple times now.

Google only brings up the solutions that have failed me and none of them address this phone or the current version of Google Play Store if they are even within the last year.
I'm on T-Mobile if that is important.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

mango sentinel posted:

Reviews have complained about the fingerprint sensor being impossible to reach one handed.

From the size comparison on Phone Arena, I don't think I'd have any issues, but I'm not interested in getting one. I'm just curious about the usability of the edge display.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

I wonder how quietly Samsung will back away from Bixby, now that it's completely redundant in the face of Google Assistant. Will they continue to insist it's super amazing? Or quietly take it behind the shed when it's clear that no one is buying it?

At least the dedicated button might be worth remapping to the home button or something.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I haven't really tried the camera too much yet. It seems to be less sharpened than the S7 and more lifelike, similar to the Pixel's post processing. This isn't a final unit though and the change from pre-production to final on previous phones was pretty noticeable so it'd be deceiving for me to judge it right now

The one handedness is perfectly doable for my average sized guy hands. I'm still adjusting from using used an S7 edge that is wider but about the same height but the edges are less sharp on the hands than the S7 making it easier to one hand, at least for me.

The fingerprint sensor location isn't very great without a case but it's too bad once a case is on to find the sensor without trying - the case I'm using has a small divide between the camera, fingerprint and heart rate sensors. I don't have a + but I can't see the fingerprint sensor being very usable without giant hands on that thing.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 31, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arcanen posted:

I wonder how quietly Samsung will back away from Bixby, now that it's completely redundant in the face of Google Assistant. Will they continue to insist it's super amazing? Or quietly take it behind the shed when it's clear that no one is buying it?

At least the dedicated button might be worth remapping to the home button or something.

I'm sure they'll admit Google's version is superior and stop including the redundant and subpar alternative, just like they did with their email app, calendar app, music app, S Voice, and software in general.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Going to be on vacation soon and wanted to get pocketable USB battery packs to charge my 6P and wife's Pixel. You still can't get any good USB-C battery packs in pocketable sizes! Now I'm going to have to get regular USB packs (I prefer the type with integrated cables while traveling so I don't lose cables) and hope I don't lose USB-C adapters.

Aukey makes a 5000mah USB-C pack, but 1) it doesn't have captive cables and 2) it sucks anyway.

What about something like this? No integrated cable, but I've been using one of their older power banks for a few years now and it's been great.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

RVProfootballer posted:

I'm sure they'll admit Google's version is superior and stop including the redundant and subpar alternative, just like they did with their email app, calendar app, music app, S Voice, and software in general.

Right, they still include those things, but they don't really use them as features to sell their phones. Right now Samsung is yelling "BIXBY~" at the top of their lungs, but it seems quite likely that they'll want to stop doing so pretty soon, given how poorly received Bixby seems to be in S8 previews.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

RoanHorse posted:

Got a ZTE Axon 7 a week ago and everything was fine but now I can't install anything off Google Play. The progress bar just says 'waiting for network connection'.
I have it set so I can install/update apps without a wifi connection, and I've gone through the trouble of clearing all google play/gapps services and rebooting a couple times now.

Google only brings up the solutions that have failed me and none of them address this phone or the current version of Google Play Store if they are even within the last year.
I'm on T-Mobile if that is important.

Alright the stackexchange thread has gotten substantitive updates that indicate that Nougat isn't playing nice with the latest google play version so short of reverting the whole phone you gotta uninstall updates for Google Play (regardless of the phone you're using).
This works but I can't force it to not auto update Google Play, just the apps served by Google Play. Does anyone know where I force Google Play to stop updating? I can only find extremely outdated reference screenshots that are not representative of the current or rolledback versions of Google Play.

Also does anyone know what those 'physical buttons' you can stick to capacitative screens are? The placement of the homebutton and drawers/back are loving killing me on this thing.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

RoanHorse posted:

Alright the stackexchange thread has gotten substantitive updates that indicate that Nougat isn't playing nice with the latest google play version so short of reverting the whole phone you gotta uninstall updates for Google Play (regardless of the phone you're using).
This works but I can't force it to not auto update Google Play, just the apps served by Google Play. Does anyone know where I force Google Play to stop updating? I can only find extremely outdated reference screenshots that are not representative of the current or rolledback versions of Google Play.

Also does anyone know what those 'physical buttons' you can stick to capacitative screens are? The placement of the homebutton and drawers/back are loving killing me on this thing.

Return your busted rear end phone, man

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

nimper posted:

Return your busted rear end phone, man

The phone has been totally fine in every other regard. Google pushed out an update that conflicts with nougat on several phones.
Is there something outside of this issue with the Axon 7?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den
Long ago, The Android Thread was subtitled "Defend Your Purchase" and there was a pretty good reason for that

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

RoanHorse posted:

The phone has been totally fine in every other regard. Google pushed out an update that conflicts with nougat on several phones.

Maybe it's just me, but "can't install apps" and "absolutely hate the nav button positions" are pretty good reasons to try something else.

Anyway, what phones are having issues installing apps? I'd swap yours for not one of those.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

RoanHorse posted:

It's not a Pixel or a Moto G, so the thread can't get its kickbacks.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Arcanen posted:

Right, they still include those things, but they don't really use them as features to sell their phones. Right now Samsung is yelling "BIXBY~" at the top of their lungs, but it seems quite likely that they'll want to stop doing so pretty soon, given how poorly received Bixby seems to be in S8 previews.

I see what you mean. Probably pretty quickly. I don't remember specifically, but I'm sure they were touting S Voice fairly loudly on the S4 or 5 or thereabouts.

Arcanen posted:

Otoh maybe it's just a lovely phone, as evidenced by

RoanHorse posted:

sourdough fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Mar 31, 2017

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Edit quote whatever

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Godinster posted:

Thanks!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Arcanen posted:

I am literally a paid shill

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Honestly there are a lot of really good phones out right now except the oneplus one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Riller posted:

What about something like this? No integrated cable, but I've been using one of their older power banks for a few years now and it's been great.

Thanks for the suggestion, but it's way too big to be pocketable.

Basically to have a battery around the size of a smartphone, which is the maximum I'd call pocketable, you're looking at 6000mah or less.

That being said, if you're looking for a gently caress-off huge USB battery pack with USB-C, I think the Jackery Titan S is probably a better call than than Anker PowerCore (which is why I own the Jackery). The Jackery is a better price per capacity while being basically the same on how much current it can put out its ports.