Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

Phylodox posted:

I think Lenny's definitely looking for something. There was that scene in the map room in David's head where it kept saying "Where is it? Where did he hide it?" So it's probably looking for some doohickey that Xavier hid and thought the answer might be in David's head.

Hmm. You're right I forgot about that.

Crusader posted:

Any guesses on who the guy hanging out with the military brass was? He seemed to be too young (and was, well, standing) to be Xavier, but there seemed to be recognition of SK in the flashes also.

Um. That was the burned guy's husband, who you just saw minutes earlier at the beginning of the episode? I think that's about it at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

I'm kind of glad that they didn't end the Shadow King story. Plaza is so great in the role, but removing him for a while we'll get to see what David is really like without a parasite loving with him.

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
SK being a hedonist and ending up in Oliver is pretty funny. Almost a little too on the nose.

Someone please explain something to me, because I think I missed something. I thought they fired a missile at the house. They were holding off for a while but then the military guy ordered it. What ever happened to that? Or could it not have been a missile, but instead was the post-credit device?

mikeraskol fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 30, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

mikeraskol posted:

SK being a hedonist and ending up in Oliver is pretty funny. Almost a little too on the nose.

Someone please explain something to me, because I think I missed something. I thought they fired a missile at the house. They were holding off for a while but then the military guy ordered it. What ever happened to that? Or could it not have been a missile, but instead was the post-credit device?
Pretty sure the post-credit device is what it was

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

So who created the incendiary effect from the pilot? It seems weird to think it was David since o[he had to be told what do to do?]o Was it Melaine?

Also, where was plant guy?

edit:
While the use of Pink Floyd was stellar (and wholly expected), Oliver's perfectly timed "YEAH" when Lenny fires up T. Rex on the radio is just the best thing.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 30, 2017

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

IMHO they should've played up the ambiguity of whether sk could actually kill david if they ejected him, or whether it was a trick in syd's head.

wouldve also liked more conversation between mr. burns and david, esp. exploring the affection he seems to have for david.

cut a couple of minutes of intro burn victim melodrama for it.

pookerbug
Jan 21, 2006

the vitreous humourist

hatelull posted:

So who created the incendiary effect from the pilot?...Was it Melaine?

I was hoping this would be answered as well. But yeah, best guess is Bird since we haven't seen other powers from her aside from some minor telepathy and that could have been mostly David anyway.

mikeraskol posted:

Not to mention Oliver's outfit is very similar to what Amahl Farouk wore in the comics. Nice little homage there.

pookerbug fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 30, 2017

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."

mikeraskol posted:

The general guy just said to prepare it, we never actually saw or heard a command to fire/launch it. He called it the Peacekeeper or Peacemaker or something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Longbaugh01 posted:

The general guy just said to prepare it, we never actually saw or heard a command to fire/launch it. He called it the Peacekeeper or Peacemaker or something.

They talked about launching a peacekeeper, but said move one mile closer and stand by. Then they said to deploy...I think it was Equinox?

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

Longbaugh01 posted:

Um. That was the burned guy's husband, who you just saw minutes earlier at the beginning of the episode? I think that's about it at this point.

Ah - serves me right for watching on my phone :/

Ubiquitous_
Nov 20, 2013

by Reene
Echoing the sentiments that the finale was weak, and also that Syd's character is just awful. Hawley typically writes nuanced characters, and she's as cookie-cutter as they get. So are most of the supporting cast, too. It feels off-kilter coming off of Hannibal.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Ubiquitous_ posted:

Echoing the sentiments that the finale was weak, and also that Syd's character is just awful. Hawley typically writes nuanced characters, and she's as cookie-cutter as they get. So are most of the supporting cast, too. It feels off-kilter coming off of Hannibal.

After seeing her rear end saunter in that jumpsuit she wears, I gives a drat about her acting abilities. That's the real star of the show.

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve
Hate to be that user, but could someone post a screen cap of that profile shot of Lenny and Oliver driving down the road? I won't be back at my house for a while and ... I need it for a thing...

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

datingvolcanoes posted:

Hate to be that user, but could someone post a screen cap of that profile shot of Lenny and Oliver driving down the road? I won't be back at my house for a while and ... I need it for a thing...

also, Aubrey Plaza :swoon:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Based on various comments from Hawley, I think the only way we'll see Xavier on the show is if it's Patrick Stewart or James McAvoy.

I'd be so down for that. Who wouldn't be down for that? Would they be down for that? That seems like something both of them would be down for.

Lack of Gravitas posted:

YEA-UHH!

datingvolcanoes
Jan 22, 2006

getting real tired of your shit, steve

Lack of Gravitas posted:

Oh my god. Don't you love living in a world where, even by proxy, the Shadow King is Aubrey Plaza *AND THEN* Jemaine Clement? I do. I really, really do.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I feel like the only thing the show needs to do now is bring in Matt Berry and have him act opposite Jemaine Clement.

gently caress it Legion/Darkplace crossover.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Hakkesshu posted:

I predict blood for season 2. Bloody blood blood. And bits of sick.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

AndyElusive posted:

I'd be so down for that. Who wouldn't be down for that? Would they be down for that? That seems like something both of them would be down for.

Patrick Stewart has already indicated he would be down for it. I think the real issue is studio negotiation.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

datingvolcanoes posted:

Oh my god. Don't you love living in a world where, even by proxy, the Shadow King is Aubrey Plaza *AND THEN* Jemaine Clement? I do. I really, really do.

Those two are going to have so much fun together next season :)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Patrick Stewart has already indicated he would be down for it. I think the real issue is studio negotiation.

I thought Stewart said he's done with Professor X after Logan?

Edit- Source

Medullah fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Mar 31, 2017

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

My source is newer.

https://youtu.be/nsmTReftEt8

About 2:40 in. Patrick Stewart would be down for both Deadpool and/or Legion.

LifeGetsWorser
Oct 23, 2010

Me "IRL" :smug:
Fun Shoe
Despite all the hate on for Syd, if anyone can get a good cap of her with SK's eyes, maybe a gif of her taking the gloves off in profile size I would find it super cool

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Hakkesshu posted:

I feel like the only thing the show needs to do now is bring in Matt Berry and have him act opposite Jemaine Clement.

Also have Matt Berry pull double duty as Reynholm and bring in Richard Ayoade as Moss.

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

sticklefifer posted:

Also have Matt Berry pull double duty as Reynholm and bring in Richard Ayoade as Moss.

FAAATHEEEERRRR!!!!!

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

It's already established canon that Toast of London takes place in the same timeline/universe as Legion, and Oliver has had at least two or three Marvel Team Ups with Steven Toast to the best of my memory

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
I disagree that this wasn't a good conclusion. The stuff with evil government guy actually having a familly and loving husband, the cross-plane brawl with Farouk jumping from host to host, and Oliver getting blown back into the power corridor only to pop right back out with a song in his heart and a Shadow King in his head made this episode pretty satisfying. Seeing David just shrug and create a PILLAR OF FLESH with the soldiers was also pretty entertaining. It was creepy at first, but all of them were still alive and in one piece, so they'll be fine.

I hope. I mean, he did remember to turn that off. Right? :ohdear:

The sphere bit was actually pretty funny to me just for the final exchange. They smashed it out of the park all season, so I'm willing to see what the lead in is.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

I know Hawley said multiple times that this was not a puzzle box show, but I still was expecting some level of rug being pulled out from under us in the finale that didn't really happen, and I was kinda looking forward to having my mind hosed with.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

I disagree that this wasn't a good conclusion. The stuff with evil government guy actually having a familly and loving husband, the cross-plane brawl with Farouk jumping from host to host, and Oliver getting blown back into the power corridor only to pop right back out with a song in his heart and a Shadow King in his head made this episode pretty satisfying. Seeing David just shrug and create a PILLAR OF FLESH with the soldiers was also pretty entertaining. It was creepy at first, but all of them were still alive and in one piece, so they'll be fine.

I hope. I mean, he did remember to turn that off. Right? :ohdear:

The sphere bit was actually pretty funny to me just for the final exchange. They smashed it out of the park all season, so I'm willing to see what the lead in is.

I agree with all of this and I'm still convinced this entire season was one of the best in all of televisiondom.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Klungar posted:

I know Hawley said multiple times that this was not a puzzle box show, but I still was expecting some level of rug being pulled out from under us in the finale that didn't really happen, and I was kinda looking forward to having my mind hosed with.

Same. I was disappointed with the finale because honestly, it was just so *normal*. With all the crazy poo poo that's happened in the first 7 episodes I was hoping for some craziness - especially with the end of last episode having David's eyes turn yellow, which made me think he made some sort of deal with SK to save his friends. And while the totem pole of soldiers was cool, and I really DID like the angle they went with the burned man not being all out evil and out for vengeance, it really didn't seem that different than any other comic show.

And clearly David lost the paranoid part of his paranoid schizophrenia because with everything they knew, a random floating robot sphere would scream "DANGER DANGER RUN AWAY" to me.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
I think people were just expecting a less conventionally straight forward finale, especially the final showdown between David and SK. Also, more things to be expounded on that were running subplots/elements, especially things like The Angriest Boy in the World, David's missing and replaced memories(drug buddy Benny, psychiatric session) and maybe his sister. I even thought they might expand and tie some of them together more neatly when it had David and SK Lenny in front of the various pivotal scenes of his life we've seen before. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the episode, and it was by no means bad, I just thought it was going to be so much more in my expectations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

savinhill posted:

Also, more things to be expounded on that were running subplots/elements, especially things like The Angriest Boy in the World, David's missing and replaced memories(drug buddy Benny, psychiatric session) and maybe his sister. I even thought they might expand and tie some of them together more neatly when it had David and SK Lenny in front of the various pivotal scenes of his life we've seen before.

Actually I think that's one thing they did VERY well - they went through the rotation of memories that the SK forced himself into and he disappeared one by one as David was fighting off the SK with Cary's machine.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

savinhill posted:

I think people were just expecting a less conventionally straight forward finale, especially the final showdown between David and SK. Also, more things to be expounded on that were running subplots/elements, especially things like The Angriest Boy in the World, David's missing and replaced memories(drug buddy Benny, psychiatric session) and maybe his sister. I even thought they might expand and tie some of them together more neatly when it had David and SK Lenny in front of the various pivotal scenes of his life we've seen before. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed the episode, and it was by no means bad, I just thought it was going to be so much more in my expectations.

Well, and they can't solve everything ever if they want a second season. Leaving a few dangling ends to be explored is a good thing.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

So, what did the stars say?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Just binge watched the whole season this week and it was an awesome mind gently caress. I agree that the finale was a little too straightforward, though. Could they have possibly run out of budget for the final showdown? Seems like the with all of the effects in this show the budget must be stretched to its breaking point.

Also "It's always blue" made me think of this from Silicon Valley:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Just binge watched the whole season this week and it was an awesome mind gently caress. I agree that the finale was a little too straightforward, though. Could they have possibly run out of budget for the final showdown? Seems like the with all of the effects in this show the budget must be stretched to its breaking point.

I just realized what the final showdown reminded me of... Heroes. That show had the two great powers finally square off, and then they shut the door and showed some flashes of light.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It reminded me of the Sylar/Peter battle too. They even had the same colors.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, this entire season was the dude fighting Shadow King.

What would people have wanted, a Potter vs Voldemort wand battle?

I think it was fine. I have no idea about the drone at the end, however.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

I think there was a missed opportunity here. The episode started with a really compelling hook, but didn't follow through. What if the entire episode was seen through the D3 guy's perspective? Flip the narrative on its head for the final episode of the season. It would have been hard to maintain, but this is the show that could do it. Unfortunately, they gave that up after the first few minutes and kept it on the perspective of the mutants - which is something we've all seen before.

I don't watch this show to see stuff I've seen before, stuff that's been done to death. That's not what this show is good at. That's not even what the show tries to be good at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So did anyone else get this vibe like Oliver was a willing host? He didn't seem to be struggling against SK at all and he's been shown to be an incredibly powerful psychic so...?

Also i'm super certain that the little drone is not a government thing deployed by the burn victim (whose name should be Warwolf, look at his cane!) because it reeks of "why wouldn't you just use that first?' it's pretty clearly alien technology, IMO

Finally my concern is that a huge chunk of my enjoyment from this season was the heavy emphasis on David's psychosis and Dan Steven's ability to act it out. A season where he isn't all twitchy and paranoid seems like it might get too quippy.

Syd's character is kind of destroyed by psychic sex time, because it takes the really interesting part of her character, and clearly the part that would define her every interaction with her partner, and just kind of makes her this permanent girlfriend mode 1-note wonder.