Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

Eh, class D not tube so more about clean power over volume. Will still be loud as poo poo for a non-PA amp obviously, but it's not ultra-crazy territory; there's a couple of 1000W power amps sat in a rack behind the mixing desk at my usual venue and that's not even a big space.

Incidentally I've played through 300 watts tube bass amps a few times now and it's actually amazingly unpleasant to be in front of because unless you're on a festival stage and can stand 30ft away the big cabs are really directional. Immediately in front it's deafening and destroys your mix, but two steps to either side and you can suddenly lose all the fundamental. Rather have a decent preamp and in-ears any day personally.

Yeah I'm seriously considering a 500 watt a side SS power amp for my modeller. Tube amps always sound louder than their wattage rating because tubes can clip past that and it's cool. SS amps on the other hand need enough power on hand that they will never ever clip ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That JEM situation sucks but it definitely sounds like it's the store's fault. A bad setup can completely ruin the playability and sound of even the best instruments. Why are music stores so lovely about that? It would take a decent tech 30 minutes to get it playable.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah but you can sell it to whatever the 1980s equivalent of a blueslawyer is without ever paying that guy!

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Floating trems are a dark art, maybe the tech didn't do the rebalancing ritual and intonation incantation correctly?

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I play bass through 2, 500 watt Class a/b amps for bass and they're super loud, but not excessively so, I can stand in a small room with them all the way up and it's not too bad.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Pokey Araya posted:

I play bass through 2, 500 watt Class a/b amps for bass and they're super loud, but not excessively so, I can stand in a small room with them all the way up and it's not too bad.

I think you may be caught in some sort of infinite loop

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

TheChaosPath posted:

I think you may be caught in some sort of infinite loop

WHAT?! IM GONNA NEED YOU TO TYPE IN ALL CAPS

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pokey Araya posted:

I sent this (and that video you posted in the other thread) to a friend of mine who's a hearing researcher that designs stuff for cochlear implants and they haven';t stopped laughing

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007
I have a hearing test coming up, I'll post it here. (Ohgodfuckitsgonnabebad)

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Pokey Araya posted:

Yea this is definitely on-topic. Don't get me wrong, I admire your caveman-like devotion to such a crude and violent instrument.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

NonzeroCircle posted:

Floating trems are a dark art, maybe the tech didn't do the rebalancing ritual and intonation incantation correctly?
That read to me as if they put new strings on it and didn't make the necessary adjustments. I admit that's not fun, but if I'm trying to sell it I'm giving it the full setup. Then they, I dunno, just raised the bridge and put it on display.
That's a shame. You can't really check out a guitar in that condition.

I'm more surprised that the pickups were dark. When I play stock Vai pickups (since the Evolutions) I always think the bridge pickup is ice-picky bright. Not the pleasant "low-gain humbucker has lots of air" way but more like "why is there a spike at 3.5k making my fillings hurt?"

I'd give that guitar another chance. I mean, I can't imagine keeping the stock gears look, so I'd probably keep the stock single in the middle and put a cover on it that matches a nice set of black pickups. One combo I like a lot is a FRED with a Humbucker-From-Hell. Useful for all kinds of music.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7c3_pNjOEUo

edit: Just, no. Please. Also put some loving pants on you're filming a video clip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSiZ26qrL6U

Concatenation fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 29, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Felix seems like a very nice guy and shorts are king but goddddd I can't stand that stuff. Play piano or something.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Kilometers Davis posted:

Felix seems like a very nice guy and shorts are king but goddddd I can't stand that stuff. Play piano or something.

Please don't encourage these people to ruin a real instrument.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

This one has been posted before, and I still think it would sound better on a normal six string. Most of the time he's playing "normal" chords, just by tapping them with both hands so it goes FLUBBAFLUBBAFLUBBA. If played on a standard tuned six string it would still be a boring as gently caress song, but it'd sound a hundred times better.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that video is hilarious though if you start it muted

the dark room and spotlights, fog machine, dolly tracking shots, and high frame rate camera make it look like some real gnarly poo poo, then you bump up the volume and it's just

kjetting posted:

FLUBBAFLUBBAFLUBBA.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The Muppets On PCP posted:

that video is hilarious though if you start it muted

the dark room and spotlights, fog machine, dolly tracking shots, and high frame rate camera make it look like some real gnarly poo poo, then you bump up the volume and it's just

Also, what the hell is going on with the L/R-panning. I feel a little seasick.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Haha imagine going on a road trip and someone tries to put that poo poo on the stereo I don't think there's a court in the land that would convict you.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Of course J Mascis keeps his collection of vintage Big Muffs in a china cabinet. Of course he does.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Christ, what an rear end in a top hat

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

That Felix track would be cool if it was some synth party nonsense

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

That Felix track would be cool if it was some synth party nonsense

here's the original version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Someone needs to give Tim and Eric a 16 string and roll the camera

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Anything past 7 strings is actually a harp or piano, depending on how it's held.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I like the almost universal inverse correlation between total number of strings on a guitar and how likely its owner is to ever play anywhere other than the lowest two strings from the 5th fret down.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Anything with 7+ strings is sign of a closeted bassist.

On a similar tack, how come baritones aren't more popular? I remember seeing a roundup in a Total Guitar a few months ago and they were all hideous 50s-Dano-ripoff looking things, I'd have thought there'd be more 'metal' ones on the market given the propensity for low tuning.

Ibanez make a bunch of budget extended rangers, surely its a no-brainer to do a GRG baritone. That Mike Mushok one (PRS i think?) was the last high profile metal oriented one i can remember. Think there was a budgety Yamaha or Peavey around 2001 too. I may be missing a bunch but I'd prefer a neck thats longer to some 4 inch wide one to accommodate those extra strings. *goes back into bass closet*

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I think if I was a Djent dork I would actually remove all frets above the fifth as a way of demonstrating my ubermenschness in the field of slapping mutated autoharps.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

NonzeroCircle posted:

Anything with 7+ strings is sign of a closeted bassist.

On a similar tack, how come baritones aren't more popular? I remember seeing a roundup in a Total Guitar a few months ago and they were all hideous 50s-Dano-ripoff looking things, I'd have thought there'd be more 'metal' ones on the market given the propensity for low tuning.

Ibanez make a bunch of budget extended rangers, surely its a no-brainer to do a GRG baritone. That Mike Mushok one (PRS i think?) was the last high profile metal oriented one i can remember. Think there was a budgety Yamaha or Peavey around 2001 too. I may be missing a bunch but I'd prefer a neck thats longer to some 4 inch wide one to accommodate those extra strings. *goes back into bass closet*

I think it's because a baritone will have more pressure from the strings and be more stable tuning wise whereas at least for djent part of the sound is the flubbing and bending of the strings. I might be wrong though.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

NonzeroCircle posted:

like everything else, it's because one company did something that became popular and everyone else followed suit

the ibanez universe was designed for weedly wee 80s shred guys which is why it's a 7 string that retains the full range of a regular tuned 6 string, and it wasn't until morbid angel, fear factory, and later korn got ahold of them that they became associated with lower tuned stuff, and that became the standard

before that there were a few bands like carcass and bolt thrower that just tuned regular guitars down to b or a in the late 80s, but tuning that low just wasn't really common before then

baritone guitars were more of a surf and country thing up until then, and more of a novelty

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I think I remember reading that Vai actually wanted a higher a more than a lower b which is why he doesn't really use 7 strings anymore.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I play every baritone I come across and the scale of most them really emphasizes twang.

Sven
Oct 4, 2005
I actually bought a PRS SE277 baritone like 3 weeks ago. Its pretty sweet, not quite as twangy as a strat.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I have a long term project guitar I've been working on that is a baritone flying V. It has a 5 piece neck I built from scratch and the body is a silver burst finish that unfortunately got a little screwed up in a move. I'm just getting back to it to polish it out and finally put it together for good. I just figure I call the dings it picked up in the move relicing and move on with it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Thumposaurus posted:

I have a long term project guitar I've been working on that is a baritone flying V. It has a 5 piece neck I built from scratch and the body is a silver burst finish that unfortunately got a little screwed up in a move. I'm just getting back to it to polish it out and finally put it together for good. I just figure I call the dings it picked up in the move relicing and move on with it.

low tuned flying vs are the poo poo

weak wrists big dick
Dec 18, 2012

good job. you are getting legitametly upset because I won't confrom to your secret internet cliques gross social standards. Sorry I don't like anime. Sorry I don't like being gross on the internet. Sorry that you are getting caremad.

your stupid shit internet argument is also only half true once I get probated, so checkmate anyways but nice try.

]
Made this, pretty sure this is the thread for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aFI3Ru0A-0

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

like everything else, it's because one company did something that became popular and everyone else followed suit

the ibanez universe was designed for weedly wee 80s shred guys which is why it's a 7 string that retains the full range of a regular tuned 6 string, and it wasn't until morbid angel, fear factory, and later korn got ahold of them that they became associated with lower tuned stuff, and that became the standard

before that there were a few bands like carcass and bolt thrower that just tuned regular guitars down to b or a in the late 80s, but tuning that low just wasn't really common before then

baritone guitars were more of a surf and country thing up until then, and more of a novelty

Low tuned gibson scale guitars are entirely my poo poo. There's just this tight heavy feeling you get from it that is just not the same as on a 27" scale 7 string. I haven't played a 25.5" scale baritone guitar in half a decade but I really want to buy a pawn shop strat and make sacrifice it to the HM2 gods by tuning it to B and replacing the electronics with a single humbucker and a killswitch.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i had an old pacifica that i kept tuned to a# for dumb grindcore poo poo

musicians friend sent it to me by accident and when i called to return it they said just keep it

turns out it was a pretty sweet guitar when you stuck an sd invader in it

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Old mock up picture from 4 years ago Imgur tells me.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

bands like carcass and bolt thrower that just tuned regular guitars down to b or a in the late 80s

*ahem*

:spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The moustache really sells it.

• Locked thread