Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

PBS posted:

It's not typical for the backout to take quite that long, there's a quickish way and a slow way if the quick way wasn't sufficient. There were some other extenuating circumstances that increased duration as well, but I don't want to get into highly specific details

Not 50% of staff, just 50% of anyone that knows anything about that system.

Fair enough. To the second point, that sounds like yet another management failure. Cross-training and documentation are cool and good things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Docjowles posted:

Fair enough. To the second point, that sounds like yet another management failure. Cross-training and documentation are cool and good things.

Yeah, that's been a pain point. I need to learn their systems too but not a lot of time at work to learn & reinforce the learning.

I'm typically not opposed to setting stuff up at home to play around with but haven't felt up to it recently.

We're finally getting some new people which would have lessened the load, but they are coming with even more responsibility for my group and there's a high probability we'll be training them up which means it'll take a while for us to see any benefit from them assuming we ever do.

PBS fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Mar 29, 2017

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Internet Explorer posted:

I agree with not doing major changes if 50% of your IT staff is out.
Changes with an 8-hour window, for sure. If anything goes wrong, you're already well into brain-drain territory. Anything beyond the window is basically guaranteed to go three times as long in a fugue state.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Odd question here potentially but I am looking for perspective especially as my career has grown.

I am fairly high up these days managing multiple teams. All four teams are technical and I report directly to management (CTO, CFO and CEO)
as required. The teams cover architecture, support, engineering and NOC.

For dudes like me, or anyone who finds themselves at this point in their career honestly I have a question. How much time outside of work do you
put into keeping up technically? The majority of my role these days to be honest does not have me doing that much hands on technical work anymore
and I find myself feeling pressured into using a vast majority of *my* time just to try and keep pace where I was five years ago and yet despite spending
as much time as I can on it my limited interaction with it daily has me feeling like I am failing at my objective. I just do not seem to be able to retain what
I need too given I am no longer actively involved in using those skills every day.

What kind of balance are most of you keeping? A little? A lot? None at all after you leave the office? Just interested in getting an idea of how my peers
approach things honestly so I can figure out how reasonable my logic is here.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I like computer touching so I don't find it a big deal to keep up to date. Instead of playing video games i often find myself reading hackernews or trying stuff out. It's really nice of my company to pay for my addiction to lots of hosts, containers and orchestration.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

insidius posted:

Odd question here potentially but I am looking for perspective especially as my career has grown.

I am fairly high up these days managing multiple teams. All four teams are technical and I report directly to management (CTO, CFO and CEO)

For dudes like me, or anyone who finds themselves at this point in their career honestly I have a question. How much time outside of work do you
put into keeping up technically? The majority of my role these days to be honest does not have me doing that much hands on technical work anymore
and I find myself feeling pressured into using a vast majority of *my* time just to try and keep pace where I was five years ago and yet despite spending
as much time as I can on it my limited interaction with it daily has me feeling like I am failing at my objective. I just do not seem to be able to retain what
I need too given I am no longer actively involved in using those skills every day.

What kind of balance are most of you keeping? A little? A lot? None at all after you leave the office? Just interested in getting an idea of how my peers

You sound like you don't need the technical skill set anymore. I'm not a manager, never will be, but what I've observed from watching my managers, several who have transitioned from the Sr technical positions into management, is they seem to focus on keeping a high level grasp of all the new poo poo coming out. They don't, and can't, focus on the nitty gritty details, but being able to keep up with a management level of knowledge is important. They're more worried about features and road maps and where the company is going over the next 3 years than the technical details.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

insidius posted:

Nowhere near your level, but as a grunt, I can tell you the managers and supervisors I appreciate the most aren't the ones with the most technical knowledge, but the ones who know the reasons and abilities of the tech, enough to not ask for it to do impossible things, and trust me to know the details. Their job is to keep my workload reasonable, help me get training when I need it, and justify me to the highers up. Sounds like to me you're trying to keep up to date on a skill set you don't need to be bleeding edge, and since you've got multiple teams, that's made even harder.

So basically this:

skipdogg posted:

You sound like you don't need the technical skill set anymore. I'm not a manager, never will be, but what I've observed from watching my managers, several who have transitioned from the Sr technical positions into management, is they seem to focus on keeping a high level grasp of all the new poo poo coming out. They don't, and can't, focus on the nitty gritty details, but being able to keep up with a management level of knowledge is important. They're more worried about features and road maps and where the company is going over the next 3 years than the technical details.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I've been in a semi dead end position for a bit, and I'm slowly working on getting my skills in Powershell up to speed and then working on MCSA 2012 R2, with the end goal of getting a better, more interesting position ultimately.

I was surprised last week when my boss asked if I'd like to fly out to Massachusetts to go to a week-long training session on Dell EMC Data Domain system administration (we're about to get a system installed here). Ostensibly it's going to be our server administrators that are primarily responsible for it, but I'm the "desktop" guy so I guess they want my input on best practices for our environment. I did some basic configuration on our current/soon-to-be-previous backup system and I guess that was enough for me to be the local SME on it.

I'd never really considered going into storage as a focus but I see no reason to say no to this in any case. Anyone here work with Data Domain at all? I'm actually finding it mentioned in a large number of local job postings.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

insidius posted:

It sounds like you want to be the hands-off technical lead rather than managing these teams, per se. But if you want to manage effectively at that scale, you're going to have to delegate that responsibility to your lieutenants, and trust them to make the right decisions. You'll still need to learn about things, of course, but limiting it to the stuff you've committed to using is a good way to whittle down your reading list to only things that are really important.

Today is a sick day for me; I messed up my shoulder and can't type for more than a couple of minutes at a time. I'm laying in bed watching tech talks on YouTube about interesting topics at 1.25x speed. I'll occasionally save them to my phone and listen to them, podcast-style, while I drive around, but other than that I rarely put in time outside of work to staying on top of new things. If something has the potential to be a big boon to the company, we'll make a case for a pilot project, or sometimes I'll use the two weeks around Christmastime where we close as my 20% time to play around with new stuff.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 29, 2017

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Don't do work that solely benefits the company on your time if you are not getting paid. This obviously does not include things like certs and stuff that are really more beneficial to you than them. If they want you to keep up on stuff they need to make sure you have time in your schedule to do so when they are paying you. Do not work for free.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Nowhere near your level, but as a grunt, I can tell you the managers and supervisors I appreciate the most aren't the ones with the most technical knowledge, but the ones who know the reasons and abilities of the tech, enough to not ask for it to do impossible things, and trust me to know the details. Their job is to keep my workload reasonable, help me get training when I need it, and justify me to the highers up. Sounds like to me you're trying to keep up to date on a skill set you don't need to be bleeding edge, and since you've got multiple teams, that's made even harder.

As someone who's worked for bosses that DO try keep very technically sharp and hands-on... it is annoying and I wish they'd stop. They rarely have enough time to actually do it well, so they end up halfassing it and swoop in with bad or outdated ideas. And the time they are investing on keeping current is time they are no longer spending being a good manager, so they're halfassing that aspect of their job, too. This is how you end up having your "weekly one on one" like once a quarter, and forbidden from deploying shared storage anywhere because "it has garbage performance and is unreliable".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Trastion posted:

Don't do work that solely benefits the company on your time if you are not getting paid. This obviously does not include things like certs and stuff that are really more beneficial to you than them. If they want you to keep up on stuff they need to make sure you have time in your schedule to do so when they are paying you. Do not work for free.

When you are salary, in particular management, it starts to get hazy where the line between your time and theirs is, in my experience.

This is a hard and fast rule for me in an hourly position, but in a salary position spending time researching things is something I am going to do in my free time just because I don't want to lose the mental momentum and have to go back 2 steps to regain it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Docjowles posted:

As someone who's worked for bosses that DO try keep very technically sharp and hands-on... it is annoying and I wish they'd stop. They rarely have enough time to actually do it well, so they end up halfassing it and swoop in with bad or outdated ideas. And the time they are investing on keeping current is time they are no longer spending being a good manager, so they're halfassing that aspect of their job, too.

This times a thousand.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Disagree. I'm incredibly grateful to have managers who keep up on things technically, it makes their feedback and questions on my ideas/proposals more valuable and I never have to dumb down when I speak to them.

Being annoyingly hands-on and micromanaging, that's totally different though, that's annoying as poo poo.

mewse
May 2, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Being annoyingly hands-on and micromanaging, that's totally different though, that's annoying as poo poo.

Yeah you don't have to keep up on tech to be an irritating micromanager

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

CLAM DOWN posted:

Disagree. I'm incredibly grateful to have managers who keep up on things technically, it makes their feedback and questions on my ideas/proposals more valuable and I never have to dumb down when I speak to them.

Having a conceptual understanding of the technologies is important, but that's very different than managers who still want to be hands on or very invested in the details that they probably don't have the time to fully absorb.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

CLAM DOWN posted:

When we, or at least I, are talking "keeping up isn't necessary" we don't mean to ignore tech all together, it's a case of I don't need my manager to be able to set up Windows Server 2016 from memory with full roles on the domain, not "forget what a SAN is." So I think we're all on the same side, actually.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

big money big clit posted:

Having a conceptual understanding of the technologies is important, but that's very different than managers who still want to be hands on or very invested in the details that they probably don't have the time to fully absorb.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

When we, or at least I, are talking "keeping up isn't necessary" we don't mean to ignore tech all together, it's a case of I don't need my manager to be able to set up Windows Server 2016 from memory with full roles on the domain, not "forget what a SAN is." So I think we're all on the same side, actually.

Yeah I think we all agree. It's important and good for managers to keep up on things technically, it's a different matter and issue when they try to get involved hands-on and micromanage things.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Managers need enough knowledge to be able to detect and deflect bullshit in an effective way, to stop it causing problems within their team.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah I think we all agree. It's important and good for managers to keep up on things technically, it's a different matter and issue when they try to get involved hands-on and micromanage things.
The issue is that time is a scarce resource. There shouldn't be an obligation to keep up with technology trends and developments on your own time unless it's something that you really just enjoy doing as a hobby. At the same time, technical managers need to be prioritizing the work they're being paid to do -- ensure their teams are managed effectively -- and dipping their toes too deep into the muddy waters of systems engineering can be a goal at odds with that.

I chose this language pretty carefully, "ensure their teams are managed effectively" and "can be at odds", because a lot of exactly how this is accomplished depends on the team structure and how the team organizes. At my last job, pretty much every person on the team was motivated enough to the point where I could occasionally delegate down some of my management responsibilities, like authoring of processes or delegation of tickets, if I needed to shut my door, put my head down, and get into technical nitty-gritty for a bit. This is a more common situation in development shops, where you may have hands-on CTOs or technical directors, than in traditional enterprise IT, but it can be made to work for the right team cultures. But again, I was slicing up that management responsibility 80/20 or 60/40 or 50/50, not insisting I was able to do two jobs at the same time.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
Thank you for all the responses, it was actually helpful.

I have certainly not reached the point where I am retarded. I still know enough to back a decision I give and to assist my
directs where required when they find it difficult to make a concrete decision on a particular issue. The feedback from
both my managers and staff is that I am an exceptional manager, in fact I seem to be the only one who is at all worried
about my work and my capacity to do that work on a daily basis.

It has only really worried me more lately as I am finding that IT is no longer the interest outside of hours that it once was,
especially as I turn my attention towards other things in personal life leaving me with less and less time in which to fit
things. It used to be a big passion and used to consume a lot of my time but even when I would take breaks I could rely
upon the fact I still had hands on with interesting poo poo every day.

I think it might just be time for a holiday to be honest. It's been a busy six months at work on top of health related issues
and its likely I am just starting to feel a little exhausted. A break away to get some perspective will probably do wonders.

Docjowles posted:

forbidden from deploying shared storage anywhere because "it has garbage performance and is unreliable".

Ironically I am the one who has to argue with directs who spout such stupid poo poo amongst other things such as "blades
are power inefficient!". There are times honestly I just have to leave the building and audibly 'wtf' where I cant be heard.

insidius fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Mar 29, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Why do you insert your own line breaks like that.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Inspector_666 posted:

Why do you insert your own line breaks like that.

It's a bad habit that I find really hard to break. It's one of my OCD tendencies, my apologies.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

insidius posted:

It's a bad habit that I find really hard to break. It's one of my OCD tendencies, my apologies.

How are you doing these days?

Last I remembered you were under a lot of stress and had (possibly) related medical issues.

You holding up?

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

How are you doing these days?

Last I remembered you were under a lot of stress and had (possibly) related medical issues.

You holding up?

It's been a long two years to get here but things are a lot better. My job is fantastic and really accomodating towards my medical requirements (scans, appointments, surgeries and so on), I am dating a wonderful woman who has encouraged me to step outside of my normal comfort zones, I exercise on a regular basis and most of my medical issues have now been correctly diagnosed and treated. These things have combined to greatly reduce the anxious/depressive state I had found myself in when this first started.

The biggest positive change was in the last few months after dealing with some very strange symptoms for some time, turns out I had undiagnosed/untreated hemochromatosis. I have the C282Y mutation. So I had built up a massive iron overload in my blood. I have had just shy of two litres of blood removed now and my iron levels are back to normal and as a result I am feeling far less fatigued, my mind feels clearer and my uh, sexual drive has greatly increased! I also have greatly reduced pain in my joints. I will have to have my bloods taken a number of times a year to keep an eye on it and have blood drained to keep the levels below that which will cause damage to my body. Not a bad treatment all around and my blood can still be used for donation so what helps me helps others!

The only thing that still causes me any real stress is that I now require 12 monthly colonoscopy/endoscopy procedures because my body will not stop growing bad poo poo in me. Rather than it let it overwhelm me these days however I try to remind myself that all things considered it could be worse and everybody has to play the cards they are dealt. Mine are a little shittier than I would like them to be but at least I have a good job, nice home, great relationship and ultimately it's not worth stressing about these things.

*edit*

Also most weeks these days I do regular hours like everybody else. No crazy 70 hour weeks or 24/7 permanent on call rotation. I was also able to go off all of my depression/anxiety medications and now remain only on one drug in conjunction with therapy for managing my OCD. Great results all around.

insidius fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Mar 29, 2017

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Man that was two years ago.

I'm happy everything has gotten better for you :)

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sounds like you're on an upward trajectory, which is good.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

TIL that blood letting is still a treatment for some diseases

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
I wasn't aware that DSM-5 classified working in IT as a disease. Makes sense though considering how many self-medicate with hard liquor.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Mar 31, 2017

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Oh, you have glasses / high blood pressure / high cholesterol / liver failure? Must be in IT.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Today is the day! :yotj:

Appalachian Trail for the next 6 months, 2 months of overseas travel then the fun search for a new job.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

insidius posted:

Happy Things

I'm glad things are going well for you now! Despite needing a vacation (def take the vacation) that is all extremely good poo poo.The going off anti-anx drugs is so huge and congrats man :)

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

I dig this more than Google Maps' rehash of Pacman.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

air- posted:

Won't let me pre-order it, keeps saying something about "April Fools".

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

George H.W. oval office posted:

Appalachian Trail for the next 6 months, 2 months of overseas travel then the fun search for a new job.

This owns :cheers: Have fun!

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

George H.W. oval office posted:

I can't hear references to the Appalachian Trail without thinking of it being a euphemism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_disappearance_of_Mark_Sanford

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

air- posted:

ahahaha "Enter Project MEgga, the single greatest invention since TiVo" made me lose it

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

air- posted:

:laffo: at the Star Citizen dig.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015
Google Gnome is pretty good too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNOllWX-2aE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I can't hear references to the Appalachian Trail without thinking of it being a euphemism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temporary_disappearance_of_Mark_Sanford

I completely forgot about that. Hah