Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Watching the first episode of Iron Fist, this dude who plays Ward is one of the worst loving actors I've ever seen. He can't even play angry properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Watching the first episode of Iron Fist, this dude who plays Ward is one of the worst loving actors I've ever seen. He can't even play angry properly.

Well he's probably the best character in the show. So. Yeah. Have fun.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

Just wait until he becomes a completely legal synthetic heroin addict, he's A LOT more bearable when he's doping.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Really, I enjoyed Ward the moment he demonstrated genuine affection and care for Joy, rather than just Rand. He's not a good guy, more of a conflicted deuteragonist, but he's also not a bad guy.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
He's definitely a bad guy.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

homullus posted:

Really, I enjoyed Ward the moment he demonstrated genuine affection and care for Joy, rather than just Rand. He's not a good guy, more of a conflicted deuteragonist, but he's also not a bad guy.

During the absolutely horrible episode 5, Ward has the one good scene where he flips off his entire office.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Which episode had the desk scene?

"Can we talk somewhere more private?"

*walks to other side of desk*

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Accretionist posted:

That was like the second to last episode or something like that.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PostNouveau posted:

That's because he looks like a younger Fred Armisen.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

By the end I was hoping that Danny would die and somehow transfer the Fist over to Ward so he could join the Defenders.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Accretionist posted:

Pretty sure it's Episode 11. Where we find out that Coleen is also kind of a lovely sensei(Did I teach you karate or not? Now steal me some drugs.) and that all her students somehow both know way more about the Hand than her and are totally ok with harvesting her organs most likely while she's still alive. They really hate her.

Also it has the old chestnut of a henchman preparing someone for their death and then calling them a bitch/rear end in a top hat/dick/whatever for fighting back. How inconsiderate of your victim to not sheepishly go to their death.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
They really should want Danny dead.

It's like if someone joined the secret service, became the guy who carries the nuclear football, got the keys and then disappeared to god knows where with it.

And now he's refusing to come back, and you can't get the football back unless you kill him.

That's a man you kill.

K'un-L'un should kill Danny. Killing Danny is the right thing to do.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
But they don't have enough time to get a new one by the time the next tournament starts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It's just kind of dumb to say " Danny left" instead of " Danny became the Iron Fist and is charged with defeating the Hand at all cost starting with his family's company".

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

It's just kind of dumb to say " Danny left" instead of " Danny became the Iron Fist and is charged with defeating the Hand at all cost starting with his family's company".

But he had no idea. He wandered off not knowing that.

Danny deserves to die. I hope he's killed.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Accretionist posted:

But he had no idea. He wandered off not knowing that.

Danny deserves to die. I hope he's killed.

He didn't wander off, he followed the sign he asked for and the bird led him to New York.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I was pretty out of it when I watched this, but did they ever explain why the Hand decided to sell their magic heroin as a street drug instead of raking in a zillion times as much money by having one of the many corporations they control have the exclusive patent to a potent analgesic that apparently doesn't build tolerance?

I mean there was a lot that was very dumb about this show, but that one kind of stuck out for me.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
That song at the end of episode 12 is the fuckin jam though. That bassline
:dance:

https://youtu.be/-OqrcUvrbRY

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Johnnie5 posted:

He didn't wander off, he followed the sign he asked for and the bird led him to New York.

The bird didn't lead him anywhere. He wanted to go back to NYC and he saw the bird and was like, "Yeup, I'm leaving."

And thus the gates to K'un-L'un became unguarded and the power of the Iron Fist was lost to them

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

LGD posted:

I was pretty out of it when I watched this, but did they ever explain why the Hand decided to sell their magic heroin as a street drug instead of raking in a zillion times as much money by having one of the many corporations they control have the exclusive patent to a potent analgesic that apparently doesn't build tolerance?

I mean there was a lot that was very dumb about this show, but that one kind of stuck out for me.

Because they are evil.

In the world of Marvel, good and evil are independent of their constituent parts. Danny is foolish, selfish, irresponsible, undisciplined, disloyal, dishonest, and puts the lives of the innocent in danger. None of this matters because it is established that he is good.

The Hand has the technology and political connections to revolutionize the pharmaceutical industry and make billions, but will sell it on the street instead, because they are evil and want to hurt people more than they want anything for themselves. Because evil.

Snak fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 31, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

LGD posted:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Valid. But still, what Danny should be doing, as controlling shareholder of Rand Chem&Pharma, is stealing the Hand's formula and using to it be a loving golden boy and making up for his "sell this at cost" poo poo.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
Just finished binge watching the iron fist and it suuuucked. Marvel has been doing pretty well with the tv shows lately so I guess there has to be a lovely one on occasion.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Snak posted:

Well he's probably the best character in the show. So. Yeah. Have fun.

I refuse to believe this. This dude is a loving log with a face painted on it. It's like he and he alone is being directed by George Lucas. And right before Lucas said action for each take, this Ward dude blew a line of Xanax and Quaaludes.

Judging by the way y'all talk about Danny Rand, I'mma assume he never really socializes properly through the course of the show. So he's just a crazy person raised by insane kung fu monks or on an island alone for years or something like that? He's like Marvel's Green Arrow but an idiot? They shoulda done Spider-Woman.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Haha, his mom dies in the dumbest way. Gets out of her seat during a plane crash so she can caress her kid's cheek (not because he needed help. No he's totally seatbelted in.) and then sucked out of the top of the plane.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

Haha, his mom dies in the dumbest way. Gets out of her seat during a plane crash so she can caress her kid's cheek (not because he needed help. No he's totally seatbelted in.) and then sucked out of the top of the plane.

My first thought was she wanted to put the oxygen mask on him but nope, just dumb.

As for Wayne, I think he was just inconsistently written. He was dumb and cartoonishly evil in the first few episodes and Danny forgave him far too easily for trying to have him killed. People come back from the dead willy nilly though. Even if Harold is evil as gently caress he ought to be smarter about his blatantly obvious manipulation.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Accretionist posted:

The bird didn't lead him anywhere. He wanted to go back to NYC and he saw the bird and was like, "Yeup, I'm leaving."

And thus the gates to K'un-L'un became unguarded and the power of the Iron Fist was lost to them

Season two should just be the guys at Kun Lun going, 'oh thank god Danny is finally gone, now all we have to do is wait for him to get killed doing something retarded and we can get our Iron Fist powers back'

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Oh he's actually got a magic hand? Buried the lead.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

PostNouveau posted:

I refuse to believe this. This dude is a loving log with a face painted on it. It's like he and he alone is being directed by George Lucas. And right before Lucas said action for each take, this Ward dude blew a line of Xanax and Quaaludes.

Yeah, you go ahead and keep not believing the show's standards are that low.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

This show is so fuuuucking racist.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

PostNouveau posted:

That part didn't even make sense.

We know that the pilots were poisoned, so why did the roof of the plane suddenly tear away while it was still in the air?

Also - the gate to Kun Lun? Holy poo poo, of all the things in the world which do not need guarding by a guy with superpowers, that would have to be right at the top. You walk along an incredibly narrow snow covered ledge halfway up a massive cliff and then squeeze through a tiny gap in the rock only wide enough to let through one person at a time.

Get one ordinary bloke with a stick to push people off, or a bucket of grease, and you're set for the couple of months, or whatever, the city exists in our universe.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I'm not going to bother rewatching the show, but didn't wasn't Henwick's Japanese really, really bad?

I wrote about it the first time around so I'm open to not hearing it properly, but it was so weird for her to say her Mandarin is rusty as hell only to speak completely fluently, and then to be a Japanese character whose pronunciation is, all due respect, pretty drat bad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Gorilla Salad posted:

That part didn't even make sense.

We know that the pilots were poisoned, so why did the roof of the plane suddenly tear away while it was still in the air?

Also - the gate to Kun Lun? Holy poo poo, of all the things in the world which do not need guarding by a guy with superpowers, that would have to be right at the top. You walk along an incredibly narrow snow covered ledge halfway up a massive cliff and then squeeze through a tiny gap in the rock only wide enough to let through one person at a time.

Get one ordinary bloke with a stick to push people off, or a bucket of grease, and you're set for the couple of months, or whatever, the city exists in our universe.

Supposedly the point of an Iron Fist is to guard the gate from people trying to destroy K'un Lun.

The Iron Fist making any difference seems odd, considering if they find the place at all, the first decision is probably going to be trying to bury it in an avalanche because it's on a mountain. Not even at the peak of one with nothing that could crush it but just surrounded by rock all over.

With all the different Marvel properties mixing together, there's probably someone/some kind of weapon they could use to bring down a rock slide.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Samizdata posted:

Last time, I checked Superman was sherbet, so a scoop to the head for you!

Not in Michigan it isn't. That poo poo is ice cream all day, erry day. :birddrugs:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

This show is so fuuuucking racist.

Calling a class of black and brown students "chattering monkeys" was definitely racist. I'm surprised no one reacted to it.

Johnnie5
Oct 18, 2004
A Very Happy Robot

Accretionist posted:

This is a story about a mystical warrior trained in a literal heavenly city who may even have a prophecy about him. He asked for a sign, saw a bird flying, and followed it. That's why the show started with the image of the bird flying over NY, and what Al's tattoo was all about.

It think the reason I have a different opinion of the series than most of you is that I view the monks of K'un L'un as bad people. They're abusive, cut off from the world (BLATANT METAPHOR ALERT!), and hold rigidly to tradition and the past. They're a lot like Harold that way and he was a terrible father, even before he became an insane, immortal, killer zombie.

I'm gonna cut this off before I write 5000 words about an ultimately mediocre show, but lets not slam it based on false assumptions.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Calling a class of black and brown students "chattering monkeys" was definitely racist. I'm surprised no one reacted to it.

Earning your title there!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Johnnie5 posted:

Earning your title there!

So what wasn't racist about that scene? About some random hobo lecturing a bunch of people and then insulting them, using language that is tied to racism? Maybe Danny isn't intentionally being racist, but it was incredibly insensitive and for someone who spent nearly half his life in New York City, he should know how to interact with people to some extent.

Also making Madame Gao part of The Hand is mildly racist as well (because I guess all Asians are the same and interchangeable according to Iron Fist producers?) and really goes against her characterization in Daredevil where she was clearly portrayed as a different player independent of The Hand.

notthegoatseguy fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 31, 2017

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

notthegoatseguy posted:

It's really hosed up

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

So what wasn't racist about that scene? About some random hobo lecturing a bunch of people and then insulting them, using language that is tied to racism? Maybe Danny isn't intentionally being racist, but it was incredibly insensitive and for someone who spent nearly half his life in New York City, he should know how to interact with people to some extent.

... are you really arguing that because Danny was in NYC from when he was born to when he was 10, he should have picked up how to be racially sensitive before spending 15 years in a monastery? That's a pretty dishonest invocation of "spent nearly half his life".

edit: Yes, the show is pretty racist and seems to just throw all Asian cultures into one homogeneous exotic basket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Snak posted:

... are you really arguing that because Danny was in NYC from when he was born to when he was 10, he should have picked up how to be racially sensitive before spending 15 years in a monastery? That's a pretty dishonest invocation of "spent nearly half his life".

The character might not know, but who gives a poo poo, the writers should not be unintentionally putting their character in a position where they sound extremely racist.