Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

[Extraordinary X-Men #20]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Capacitor
Jan 21, 2008

The code you say?

Ireallylikeeggs posted:

Immortal Iron Fist #18, i think.

So that's where they got the show choreography from.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

From the guy who brought us:

Mark Russell recounts Snagglepuss' origin in the backup of Green Lantern/Space Ghost.

:rimshot:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Mar 30, 2017

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Ahahahahahah

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Heavens to mergatroid! I can't believe they made Snagglepuss gay!!

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Something something flaming something something animal in bed

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
If that audience couldn't see the massive plumes of smoke and fire directly behind him, they were too​ dumb to live anyway.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Parvorder odontoceti" is a fun title because it sounds like it could be an Italian opera, but is the Latin taxonomical term for toothed whales, so I guess it's supposed to be an opera about the crazed dolphins on either side of Snagglepuss.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Lobok posted:

"Parvorder odontoceti" is a fun title because it sounds like it could be an Italian opera, but is the Latin taxonomical term for toothed whales, so I guess it's supposed to be an opera about the crazed dolphins on either side of Snagglepuss.

I think that might be a nod to Katy Perry's backup sharks.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Yvonmukluk posted:

I think that might be a nod to Katy Perry's backup sharks.

Both, yeah. The dolphins have serious Left Shark vibes and then the opera name is a joke that uses the dolphins.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?
Man, I hope they're putting this guy on every Hannah Barbara comic, because I can't wait to see the gritty origin story of the Hair Bear Bunch.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wacky Death Races 2000.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

zoux posted:

Wacky Death Races 2000.

They already did that. It bombed.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I feel like hanna barbara are trying to do the Archie thing but failing miserably.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I feel like hanna barbara are trying to do the Archie thing but failing miserably.

I dunno what universe you live in but people love weird dark Flinstones.

e: just checked and in fact Flinstones last month sold only 10% fewer books than Archie and is outselling Jughead so

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Mar 30, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

zoux posted:

It being liked doesn't mean it's good.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lurdiak posted:

Yeah, they're doing horribly at never shipping.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Roth posted:

I would actually be interested in reading SMG's take on Twilight.

I have searched for and can't find it. In brief, he says that Bella self-actualizes by domineering and sexually using Edward, a wealthy but mentally stunted older man who mopes over a condition she recognizes as loving baller, and demands he give to her, so she can be an immortal bad-rear end.

ecavalli
Nov 18, 2012

Doc Hawkins posted:

I have searched for and can't find it. In brief, he says that Bella self-actualizes by domineering and sexually using Edward, a wealthy but mentally stunted older man who mopes over a condition she recognizes as loving baller, and demands he give to her, so she can be an immortal bad-rear end.

I'm impressed he didn't shatter his spine stretching for all them bullshit conclusions.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Teenage Fansub posted:

From the guy who brought us:

Mark Russell recounts Snagglepuss' origin in the backup of Green Lantern/Space Ghost.

:rimshot:

What's absolutely insane about this is that I'm pretty sure it's actually based off of a brief aphorism from the philosopher Soren Kierkegaard's first book, Either/Or

quote:

A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

ecavalli posted:

I'm impressed he didn't shatter his spine stretching for all them bullshit conclusions.

If you're (rightly) thinking none of that was what Stephanie Meyer was going for, I remember him saying a few times that he hadn't read the books and was just talking about the films.

Although since Meyer has said she was writing a fantasy for herself and other women, I suppose there is a sense in which Edward is, at root, a defanged source of danger paraded around for sexual excitement. Maybe it just came across more clearly in the films? I haven't seen them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mover posted:

What's absolutely insane about this is that I'm pretty sure it's actually based off of a brief aphorism from the philosopher Soren Kierkegaard's first book, Either/Or

Rarely has a quote ever seemed so accurate and timely as that.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mover posted:

quote:

A fire broke out backstage in a theatre. The clown came out to warn the public; they thought it was a joke and applauded. He repeated it; the acclaim was even greater. I think that's just how the world will come to an end: to general applause from wits who believe it's a joke.

Something something Trump something something even.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

ecavalli posted:

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

zoux posted:

Has the comic done a story about Fred taking a bowling ball to the head and adopting a different identity yet?

SomeMathGuy
Oct 4, 2014

The people were ASTONISHED at his doctrine.

Well you see it's fine as there is no logically consistent way to assert the primary validity of a given interpretation because deconstruction is actually an observable event that occurs within the text and

(Action Philosophers #5)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

:killdozer:

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
From the creator of Sturgeon's Law!

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Keromaru5 posted:

From the creator of Sturgeon's Law!

:aaa:

I didn't even notice that. Neat!

e:

A cover for the book!

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I remember It being written by someone else. Is this the Mandela Effect?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

lmao

quote:

"If All Men Were Brothers, Would You Let One Marry Your Sister?" is a science fiction short story by Theodore Sturgeon. It first appeared in Harlan Ellison's anthology Dangerous Visions in 1967.

It is about an Earthman who comes to the planet Vexvelt, shunned by the rest of colonized universe for unknown reasons. He finds it a utopian paradise, but then discovers to his shock and horror that incest is actively encouraged there. When it is shown that the reason that the planet is a paradise is because of this encouragement of incest (or, rather, the non-suppression of sexual instincts and urges including incest), then questions are raised of the reader as to how we face "unpleasant" issues.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And that's not even the grossest thing Ellison published in Dangerous Visions. (Look up Piers Anthony's "In the Barn." Gwan, I dare yas.)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Not doing incest actually is a natural human instinct, mr gross "science" fiction writer.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

SilverSupernova posted:

Has the comic done a story about Fred taking a bowling ball to the head and adopting a different identity yet?

No, but it's got a very touching running story about the friendship between a bowling ball (armadillo) and vacuum cleaner (baby mammoth.)

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Selachian posted:

And that's not even the grossest thing Ellison published in Dangerous Visions. (Look up Piers Anthony's "In the Barn." Gwan, I dare yas.)

That's a tale on the morality of humanity's use/abuse of animals to serve its needs, right? Presumably it's taken to the awful extreme to really hammer the point across.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lurdiak posted:

Not doing incest actually is a natural human instinct, mr gross "science" fiction writer.

:confused:

Just because somebody writes a story about a thing, I don't think that means they want that thing to happen.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012

prefect posted:

Just because somebody writes a story about a thing, I don't think that means they want that thing to happen.

Have you read much SF from that era?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Selachian posted:

Dammit why do I take these dares I should know better

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
On the other hand, I could be wrong.

https://twitter.com/joe_hill/status/847449577921896448

:D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

prefect posted:

His sister was pretty hot though.