Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Since the judges on the court are all pretty much political hacks, what we should be worried about is how they are likely to rule and what outcomes those rulings will have, not arcane legal theory or horseshit about balls and strikes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

mcmagic posted:

Since the judges on the court are all pretty much political hacks, what we should be worried about is how they are likely to rule and what outcomes those rulings will have, not arcane legal theory or horseshit about balls and strikes.

The judges on the court aren't all pretty much political hacks. Several of them are insane loons.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Discendo Vox posted:

The judges on the court aren't all pretty much political hacks. Several of them are insane loons.

Which ones?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Rygar201 posted:

Which ones?

The ones who disagree with you on arcane legal theory, of course!

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Mar 24, 2017

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Discendo Vox posted:

The ones who disagree with you on theory, of course!

I still find it disturbing to hear the voices of the Justices. Even when I agree with them, the idea that my constitutional rights are ultimately defined by basically* my grandparents makes me very nervous.

*This was more true when I first realized the problem. Now that I'm older, it's more like the generation between my parents and grandparents.

ulmont fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 24, 2017

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This is the thread where we were discussing interesting case names, right?

I give you: PEOPLE V. ANONYMOUS FEMALE

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's not just the title, either, the opinion itself is terrific too.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.
Everyone knows in rem actions have the best names.

United States of America v. One Lucite Ball Containing Lunar Material.

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's not just the title, either, the opinion itself is terrific too.

Seconded.

Sharkfins still wins that category, imo.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
EASTER SEAL SOCIETY FOR CRIPPLED CHILDREN AND ADULTS OF LOUISIANA,
INC., PETITIONER V. PLAYBOY ENTERPRISES, INC., ET AL.

The California Coalition of Undressed Performers et al v. Spearmint Rhino et al

FORTNER V. ATF AGENTS DOG 1, CAT 2, HORSE 3

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

quote:

This case is before me on several recommendations issued by Magistrate Judge Boyd N. Boland, and related objections thereto, as well as un-referred motions currently pending before me in this matter.

Off to a strong start.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

quote:

Plaintiff's council is hereby ORDERED to familiarize himself with civil local rules, general orders regarding electronic filing procedure, and to submit a declaration within ten days hereof declaring that he has done so.

:supaburn:

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Discendo Vox posted:

Off to a strong start.

Some comlaw professor out there somewhere is asking 1Ls if there's a property interest in a tree business license

Also

quote:

My de novo review reveals that there is clearly a disputed issue of material fact as to whether Mr. Fortner is a convicted sex offender.
Those attorneys must have been pissed when they read this

quote:

One or more
of the persons who had appeared in the Easter Seal field tape
recognized themselves in the footage now contained in "Candy, the
Stripper."

Your honor, I watched the video in question several times

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Mar 26, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Unusual spelling mistake for a judge to make, he or she must have really been on tilt.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
This would be a decent time to hammer Susan Collins, Flake, Heller and Merkowski with calls telling them not to go nuclear on the stolen SCOTUS seat.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I wonder if this will be effective or not: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/nra-will-target-democrats-who-vote-against-gorsuch/article/2618235

IIRC there's 12 Dem senators from states that went for Trump and a few of them have NRA A-ratings.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/326435-dem-leaders-give-centrists-space-on-gorsuch

quote:

Senate Democratic leaders are giving centrist colleagues space on Neil Gorsuch despite strong pressure from the liberal base to sink President Trump’s Supreme Court nominee.

Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) says he’s not tallying votes for the nominee, leaving it to Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) to have one-on-one conversations with undecided members of their caucus.

Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.) said ­Schumer is giving centrists like him room to decide how to vote, mindful that 10 members of the conference face reelection in states Trump won in November.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!
McCaskill said in private what she says in public, news at 11

quote:

“The Gorsuch situation is really hard. There are going to be people in this room that are going to say, ‘No, no, no. You cannot vote for Gorsuch,’ ” McCaskill said in the recording. “Let’s assume for the purposes of this discussion that we turn down Gorsuch, that there are not eight Democrats that vote to confirm him and therefore there’s not enough to put him on the Supreme Court. What then?”

She pointed to the list of potential nominees that Trump released before the election to galvanize conservative support. “By the way, Gorsuch was one of the better ones,” McCaskill quipped.

“So they pick another one off the list and then they bring it over to the Senate and we say no, no, no, this one’s worse. And there’s not enough votes to confirm him. They’re not going to let us do that too long before they move it to 51 votes,” she said.

Democrats eliminated the filibuster for most appointments in 2013 when they controlled the Senate, but left the rule intact for Supreme Court justices.

McCaskill made a distinction between using the filibuster to block Gorsuch, who would replace Scalia, arguably the court’s most conservative justice during his tenure, and using it to block a nominee if one of the court’s more liberal or centrist justices dies or retires.

“So they move it to 51 votes and they confirm either Gorsuch or they confirm the one after Gorsuch,” she continued. “They go on the Supreme Court and then, God forbid, Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies, or (Anthony) Kennedy retires or (Stephen) Breyer has a stroke or is no longer able to serve. Then we’re not talking about Scalia for Scalia, which is what Gorsuch is, we’re talking about Scalia for somebody on the court who shares our values. And then all of a sudden the things I fought for with scars on my back to show for it in this state are in jeopardy."

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dems are never going to learn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

"look at these scars" she says pointing to the yellow stripe down her back

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
You can kind of see her point. They can fight and lose now or they can throw it this time so that they have the ability to lose in the future. It's important to show powerlessness at the right time. When you think about it, when RBGs replacement comes up you might not want to lose then either. The allure of future opportunities to fail is very strong.

Draynar
Apr 22, 2008

Because pushing the fight back means it totally won't loving happen anyways, how are they so loving stupid and spineless. Maybe if we let this one through if Ruth dies they'll be nice and pick a liberal judge we like! loving idiots.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

I can see the tactical play here but strategically, if their position is that Obama was wrongly denied an appointment (that is that denying him a hearing was a legal but illegitimate tactic) then any approval for another appointment is a tacit renunciation of that claim. By voting for Gorsuch to have a hearing without one on garland first they are acknowledging what happened as a legitimate tactic.

So i guess it's a question not just of whether dems will be in a position to use it but whether they think it's something that should be left in place so that it can be used by either side in the future, that it contributes to a well functioning system of government.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

MrNemo posted:

I can see the tactical play here but strategically, if their position is that Obama was wrongly denied an appointment (that is that denying him a hearing was a legal but illegitimate tactic) then any approval for another appointment is a tacit renunciation of that claim. By voting for Gorsuch to have a hearing without one on garland first they are acknowledging what happened as a legitimate tactic.

So i guess it's a question not just of whether dems will be in a position to use it but whether they think it's something that should be left in place so that it can be used by either side in the future, that it contributes to a well functioning system of government.
This doesn't make any sense. Even ignoring the obvious bad outcome that this strategy demands Senators vote against good nominees (supposing Trump accidentally nominated someone good) who aren't specifically named Garland. How is this supposed to scale? Do we have to wait for Garland to die before we can start voting on Supreme Court nominees other than Garland?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

twodot posted:

This doesn't make any sense. Even ignoring the obvious bad outcome that this strategy demands Senators vote against good nominees (supposing Trump accidentally nominated someone good) who aren't specifically named Garland. How is this supposed to scale? Do we have to wait for Garland to die before we can start voting on Supreme Court nominees other than Garland?

If Trump nominates a judge that Dems like more than they liked Garland, then there wouldn't be any problems with Dems voting for that nominee. But there's no need to worry about that, because if the GOP thought a nominee to the left of Garland was acceptable, then they wouldn't have blocked Garland in the first place.

When Republicans thought Hillary was going to win, they insisted that not only would they prevent Obama from appointing a Supreme Court Justice, but they would do all they could to prevent Hillary from nominating one too. Now that the shoe's on the other foot, it's way too late to get concerned about the sanctity of the Supreme Court and Senate traditions of bipartisanship. The Supreme Court nomination process is already broken, and it can't be put back together again - particularly when Republicans still insist even now that what they did was justified and refuse to offer up even the slightest hint of compromise.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

MrNemo posted:

If the minority party doesn't feel it can use a well established procedure because it can revoked on a whim, what value is that procedure and how does it promote government functionality? The Democrats didn't want to use it themselves for fear of the tables turning and now they're in as much risk as if they had. Paralyzed because the filibuster has no power for the minority party.

What are they saving it for? The theoretical next nominee is a monster and they filibuster him and it just gets taken away then. Are there even any ramifications for that? "The Obstructionist Party won't let the government work after this tragedy/retirement/, so we were forced to. Because we're the party that governs."

At least lose the ability on an easy to grasp concept like protesting the year long abduction if Scalia's seat.

I hate 2017

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MrNemo posted:

The entire strategy rests on the assumption that either dems retake the senate before the next liberal justice dies or that the republicans for some reason decide not to kill the filibuster when they have a chance to shift the balance of the court. Both of those are very weak assumptions.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Main Paineframe posted:

If Trump nominates a judge that Dems like more than they liked Garland, then there wouldn't be any problems with Dems voting for that nominee.
I agree there wouldn't be a problem here, but the person I replied to is saying that "any approval for another appointment is a tacit renunciation of that claim", which as phrased makes me think they think there would a problem with that.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If we assume the filibuster has a 0% chance of success and a 100% chance it'll be removed once it's done, it's a one-shot publicity stunt and probably best used for the worst possible nomination. Replacing Scalia with Scalia 2.0 isn't that. In 2019 when RBG dies and Trump nominates Sarah Palin, that's the hill to die on.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

twodot posted:

You know what? I'd be willing to make an exception if they could get the support of the president who had been denied. In that case though there wouldn't have been any point in performing that kind of obstruction in the first place.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Seems eminently reasonable to me. I'd rather Gorsuch than just about anyone else the Republicans could nominate. He's qualified, not a raving ideologue and that's about as good as we can get from the Republican Party.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

The Iron Rose posted:

not a raving ideologue

disagree, but

The Iron Rose posted:

about as good as we can get from the Republican Party.

agree

I still think the Democrats should filibuster because the seat was Obama's to appoint and pretending otherwise is destructive to constitutional norms. With luck, we filibuster long enough to hit impeachment hearings on Donaldus, and then the whole presidency is delegitimized and we don't have to consider further nominees.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

disagree, but

agree

I still think the Democrats should filibuster because the seat was Obama's to appoint and pretending otherwise is destructive to constitutional norms. With luck, we filibuster long enough to hit impeachment hearings on Donaldus, and then the whole presidency is delegitimized and we don't have to consider further nominees.

Since Trump is barely nominating anyone or appointing anything, and is already at historic lows in polls... One finger on the monkey's paw curls.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

dont even fink about it posted:

Since Trump is barely nominating anyone or appointing anything, and is already at historic lows in polls... One finger on the monkey's paw curls.

Well, yeah, I mean. . Pence is not going to appoint anyone better. Still though some fights have to be fought even when you know there's no chance of winning.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

Seems eminently reasonable to me. I'd rather Gorsuch than just about anyone else the Republicans could nominate. He's qualified, not a raving ideologue and that's about as good as we can get from the Republican Party.

The Republican Party can do a lot better, they just don't want to because they're about as willing to compromise on Supreme Court appointments as they are on healthcare. This "well, Gorsuch is only a little to the right of Scalia, he's the best we could possibly hope for and we should be grateful for it" narrative is garbage.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
There's also the idea that showing the Democrats actually have a spine and are willing to fight for things they think are important could actually help them in both the short- and long-term, rather than demonstrating once again that while they might tut-tut and shake their heads disapprovingly, in the end they'll let the Republicans get away with murder as long as it makes them look like the grownups.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

disagree, but

agree

Yes well known political moderate Mike Pence will not just find a bunch of Alito clones.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

hobbesmaster posted:

Yes well known political moderate Mike Pence will not just find a bunch of Alito clones.

lmao if you think Mike Pence is getting anything done in a world where Trump is successfully impeached. he'll be the lamest duck to ever duck

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

skull mask mcgee posted:

lmao if you think Mike Pence is getting anything done in a world where Trump is successfully impeached. he'll be the lamest duck to ever duck

If they do get Trump you're looking at President Pence in a scandal ridden office with a fractured party apparatus and zero faculty, since all of Trump's choices will loving leave as soon as he goes down (bar a few of the cabinet picks who won't leave). He will have no mandate. I'm curious who he would get stuck with as a VP. Probably one of the big Dems to counter his positions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Ape Agitator posted:

If the minority party doesn't feel it can use a well established procedure because it can revoked on a whim, what value is that procedure and how does it promote government functionality? The Democrats didn't want to use it themselves for fear of the tables turning and now they're in as much risk as if they had. Paralyzed because the filibuster has no power for the minority party.

What are they saving it for? The theoretical next nominee is a monster and they filibuster him and it just gets taken away then. Are there even any ramifications for that? "The Obstructionist Party won't let the government work after this tragedy/retirement/, so we were forced to. Because we're the party that governs."

At least lose the ability on an easy to grasp concept like protesting the year long abduction if Scalia's seat.

I hate 2017

Because it won't be revoked on a whim? It would be revoked for someone like gorsuch, sure. But McConnell is clearly very reluctant to do so- and more than likely would not do so for a future extremely controversial replacement of someone like RBG. So by using it now you might eliminate any future chance to do so when it actually matters instead of now where it's just pissing into the wind. Really a lot of people here need to get over the whole 'illegitimate' nonsense. The dems and republicans played hardball politics and the dems badly lost the game. Quit crying about how the ref was out to get you because quite frankly nobody gives a single solitary poo poo about it.

MrNemo posted:

And who gives a gently caress?? Nobody cared about this argument months ago and nobody cares now. Also legal and legitimate are synonymous, duh.

Maybe Obama should have made a sliver of effort throughout the whole ordeal instead of just assuming a Trump victory was literally impossible!

lol