Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I'd heard that nobody was allowed film in the National Cathedral afterwards because of the cigarette, but Sorkin's story kinda flies in the face of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Yeah I'd heard that nobody was allowed film in the National Cathedral afterwards because of the cigarette, but Sorkin's story kinda flies in the face of that

That seems ridiculous, because obviously they would clean up the cigarette after they were done filming.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

That seems ridiculous, because obviously they would clean up the cigarette after they were done filming.

I think it might have actually been on Wikipedia, so yeah unsubstantiated bullshit

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
I'd watch an Arnold Vinick president mini-series of him having to deal with the far right wing of his party after winning election in 2014. Imagine 6 episodes of Alan Alda scolding shithead conservatives in Sorkinese.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

i am the bird posted:

I'd watch an Arnold Vinick president mini-series of him having to deal with the far right wing of his party after winning election in 2014. Imagine 6 episodes of Alan Alda scolding shithead conservatives in Sorkinese.

But then Aaron would have to watch past season 4 to know about Vinick

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

If it ever happened, it would be in the form of a Seaborne presidency given how Sorkin wrote him to be a wunderkind-to-president before leaving the show.
I can't imagine Sorkin accepting seasons 5-7 as cannon.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Vinick is one of the best WW characters

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Khablam posted:

If it ever happened, it would be in the form of a Seaborne presidency given how Sorkin wrote him to be a wunderkind-to-president before leaving the show.
I can't imagine Sorkin accepting seasons 5-7 as cannon.

I'm sure he'd consider it cannon, but I imagine he'd barely mention it. He'd set it far enough in the future that there'd be a new President, and he wouldn't really have to mention Santos, beyond maybe a passing mention of Sam's time as Deputy CoS.

Also, he's mentioned how he screwed up not getting Josh and Donna together, so he'd probably keep that from season 7.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Josh as Chief of Staff would be basically living at the White House for 8 years. I think the relationship lasted maybe 2 months tops.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Didn't House of Cards film a scene in the National Cathedral?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Thwomp posted:

Didn't House of Cards film a scene in the National Cathedral?

It also involved yelling at God.

It felt very "inspired" to put it kindly.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

FYI, Aaron Sorkin was on the podcast again. And he said there are regular meetings at NBC about how to bring it back in some way. But it all depends on him, and he's not against it, but only if he comes up with a good idea. Because "No one wants A Very Brady Reunion".

Also it's a really good episode.

More importantly he thoroughly debunked the "Donna's date thought he was going out with Ainsley" theory.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

blunt posted:

More importantly he thoroughly debunked the "Donna's date thought he was going out with Ainsley" theory.

It's still such a weird theory and relies on people ignoring both context and half the lines that the actors are saying.

Coming to the end of S2. It's interesting that Oliver Platt is taller than everyone he's in a scene with (He practically towers over Stockard Channing), because visually it gives the impression that he's the most important person in the room, which he arguably is.

DrVenkman fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Mar 26, 2017

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

DrVenkman posted:

It's still such a weird theory and relies on people ignoring both context and half the lines that the actors are saying.

Coming to the end of S2. It's interesting that Oliver Platt is taller than everyone he's in a scene with (He practically towers over Stockard Channing), because visually it gives the impression that he's the most important person in the room, which he arguably is.
Statistically speaking, Oliver Platt is unlikely not to be the tallest person in a group of people.

VVVVVVVVVV
6'4", even.

tetrapyloctomy fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Mar 26, 2017

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Very unlikely. The guy is 6'3"

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

It can't be too hard to give me a show centered around recently elected Congressman Charlie Young after he's had a few years as a successful lawyer.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Delzuma posted:

It can't be too hard to give me a show centered around recently elected Congressman Charlie Young after he's had a few years at a psychic detective agency.

Delzuma
Dec 4, 2004

Hell. I'd love to bring Roday on board!

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Man, are they ever gonna get Martin Sheen on the podcast? Two Cathedrals would have been the one to do it :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Basticle posted:

Man, are they ever gonna get Martin Sheen on the podcast? Two Cathedrals would have been the one to do it :(

Yeah, safe to assume they tried and it hasn't happened.
He's a busier actor than the other guests they've had.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Khablam posted:

Yeah, safe to assume they tried and it hasn't happened.
He's a busier actor than the other guests they've had.

Which means they may manage it at some point. I mean, they got Rob Lowe to call in.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if Martin Sheen doesn't know what a podcast is.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Podcasts aren't a difficult concept for old people. It's essentially a radio show, just on the internet.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Asiina posted:

Podcasts aren't a difficult concept for old people. It's essentially a radio show, just on the internet.

And yet, anytime I try to explain it to anyone my parent's age, I get blank stares. I put a podcast on my dad's iPhone for him, one I know for a fact he would love, and he's never bothered to fire it up.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

thrawn527 posted:

And yet, anytime I try to explain it to anyone my parent's age, I get blank stares. I put a podcast on my dad's iPhone for him, one I know for a fact he would love, and he's never bothered to fire it up.

That could be because he doesn't remember or doesn't know how. I've had to walk my mom through apps a bunch of times because she forgets where things are, but she still understands the concept.

Old people aren't idiots. They understand what things are even if they can't figure out how to get to them because interfaces are confusing.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Podcasts tend to penetrate older demographics pretty well actually.
Sorry your parents are from another century I guess.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010

Khablam posted:

Presumably last century.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Khablam posted:

2017 - age of consent in Tennessee = You type good for a four year old.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Delzuma posted:

It can't be too hard to give me a show centered around recently elected Congressman Charlie Young after he's had a few years as a successful lawyer.

Charlie's a DC native, right? They don't get Congresspeople. :smith: I guess he could run for a Maryland or NoVa seat but Charlie doesn't strike me as that kid of opportunist. Or he could go to law school outside the District and run from there.

I liked Hrishi's idea for a spin-off set in the 70s, with a recently-discharged Captain McGarry returning home from Vietnam and getting his feet wet in local Chicago politics.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 30, 2017

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

ninjahedgehog posted:

Charlie's a DC native, right? They don't get Congresspeople. :smith: I guess he could run for a Maryland or NoVa seat but Charlie doesn't strike me as that kid of opportunist. Or he could go to law school outside the District and run from there.

I liked Hrishi's idea for a spin-off set in the 70s, with a recently-discharged Captain McGarry returning home from Vietnam and getting his feet wet in local Chicago politics.

Eh, Aaron Sorkin is right though. When people say they want more West Wing, what they want is to see these actors playing these characters.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

thrawn527 posted:

Eh, Aaron Sorkin is right though. When people say they want more West Wing, what they want is to see these actors playing these characters.

When I say it, I mean that I want a Sorkin-written political drama show. I love plenty of the cast but I'm quite happy to discover some new players for the Sorkin repertory

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

If you can't bring back Lord John Marbury, then what's the point?

GERALD!

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
I saw the Bradley Whitford episode of Parks and Recreations and I wondered why he didn't have a scene with Rob Lowe. Then I noticed Lowe had a minor public twitter spat with Whitford and Schiff over the Trump protests in January, and he was the only one to not participate in ads in support of Hillary. In fact he barely ever gets involved with West Wing reunions despite claiming to be open to appearing in a revival.

Does Lowe get along with the rest of the cast any more?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ravel posted:

I saw the Bradley Whitford episode of Parks and Recreations and I wondered why he didn't have a scene with Rob Lowe. Then I noticed Lowe had a minor public twitter spat with Whitford and Schiff over the Trump protests in January, and he was the only one to not participate in ads in support of Hillary. In fact he barely ever gets involved with West Wing reunions despite claiming to be open to appearing in a revival.

Does Lowe get along with the rest of the cast any more?
Maybe they view him as ruining a good thing because his ego got too big.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Rob Lowe's super conservative. Most of Hollywood is (at least socially) liberal.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Based on the bloopers from Parks and Rec, I think Rob Lowe might be a crazy person. Great actor though!

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

WampaLord posted:

Rob Lowe's super conservative. Most of Hollywood is (at least socially) liberal.

I never knew that about Rob Lowe. Pretty big bummer. Not so much the conservative part (although I'm not really a fan) but him maybe not being on the best of terms with everyone. They seem like such good friends!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yeah Lowe is really weird in the Parks and Rec bloopers. He really is a great actor.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

He was a democrat who campaigned for Michael Dukakis. Calling him 'super conservative' is silly.
He sat on the fence about Trump/Clinton, and some cast members got upset he didn't support Clinton.

That's about the lot of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

What kind of rear end in a top hat sits on the fence for Trump/Clinton?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Josh Lyman posted:

What kind of rear end in a top hat sits on the fence for Trump/Clinton?

The undecideds in the 2016 election were the highest in modern history, and many other celebs and even ex-presidents didn't pick a side.
So, he's in company.

• Locked thread