Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Tiggum posted:

Sharing a flat with one other person. I email the real estate agents about some issue, cc the other tenant. Reply comes just to me and I have to forward it on to the other tenant. Every loving time.

This is me and a publisher I'm working with at the moment. There are TWO of us co-editing a major project, and sharing a lot of the chores (as we have 12 authors contributing) -- the publishers have, without fail, only emailed me at every step of the process over the past two year, despite me cc'ing in my colleague and asking repeatedly that they include him. Sometimes I've been on leave or at conferences for a week or more at a time and miss important emails; every single time I have to forward stuff on to him. The point of two of us is so we can efficiently deal with your deadlines, you numpty publishers!

As for missing meetings -- a student of mine who has been always a chronic abuser of tutorial times found out yesterday the hard way that no, you can't come 15 minutes late to your tutorial time and expect to cut in on first, a closed door meeting between me and another professor that was scheduled after his tutorial; second on the student who was scheduled 45 minutes after his tutorial; third, during the 10 minutes I had to get my stuff together and race across campus for a two hour lecture. Scheduled times are scheduled for a reason, and standing in the hallway crying because you are late again doesn't mean I'm going to inconvenience others (and myself) because you never show up at the appointed times :argh:

Ms Boods has a new favorite as of 04:49 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

so do car alarms actually accomplish anything, or

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Meetings that are across town when we have perfectly good things called conference calls.

Tomorrow is some Safety Awareness Meeting that is about an hour drive for me. But company car and time, fine. But when it's 5-8 people all showing up to sit around and dick off for 30 minutes, during our afternoon rush, that means late orders, pissed customers, and the others all trying to pick up the slack of 5-8 people sitting around a table, doodling on Powerpoint slides...it's a waste.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

MisterBibs posted:

I lost my phone yesterday (a FWP in and of itself), and having got a new one, I have to play the "make it exactly like my old phone" game with no preparation. Like, what apps do I need? What podcasts do I want?

To add FWP to FWP, there was a system update that I hadn't gotten on my old phone, so everything looks different.
Having got a new phone recently, I just went to the Play Store and downloaded the apps stored in my history.

bean_shadow posted:

To me all ventriloquist acts are cringe-worthy. Like I feel embarrassed for them while watching. According to Candice Bergen, her father had a larger room, wardrobe, and allowance for Charlie McCarthy than for his own daughter. And I believe it. Those guys are weird.

Now I'm glad McCarthy is stuck in a clear box at the Smithsonian forever.
I always feel that ventriloquists think we don't know how they're doing it. They don't realise that we're treating them the same as we would a five year-old doing babby's first card trick. There's something deeply wrong about ventriloquists performing for adults that I don't find with something like The Muppets.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Sunswipe posted:

I always feel that ventriloquists think we don't know how they're doing it. They don't realise that we're treating them the same as we would a five year-old doing babby's first card trick. There's something deeply wrong about ventriloquists performing for adults that I don't find with something like The Muppets.
Good ventriloquists often just use it as a mechanism to add a second character to the act without adding a second person. It can also add a cartoonish or unreal quality to it by having a character with non-human characteristics. Ventriloquism that's just "I can talk without moving my lips" is pretty rare, and some don't even bother getting good at that.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember this ventriloquist whose act was all vulgarity like the puppet saying he met a girl puppet and now he had splinters in his dick from loving her in the rear end. I also remember the guy didn't try to actually talk without moving his lips. He just spoke normally and hid his mouth behind the mic.

Anyway I think both he and his puppet are dead now.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
At work I'm starting to get burned out and making too many mistakes, so my manager has been pulling me in for meetings, and I know she's just trying to avoid me getting fired, which is starting to look more and more likely, but she's being so condescending about it. The last thing she said to me today really annoyed me, because it was "How long have you been working here?" Rhetorically. The answer is four years yes, so normally there would be no excuse for new mistakes to crop up, but since I started things have changed. I'm being put on more and more accounts as time goes on, meaning my days are only getting busier, and some of our tools have changed to ones that, while more stable, are way more inconvenient to actually use. They are now longer too because I work 12 hours on the days that I work, which is exhausting at the best of times, and my manager works 8 hours a day so she isn't in any position to actually know what it's like (aka, not really something you get used to, more put up with so I've just been getting more and more tired at work as the sleep cycle disruption just builds). It's just like, I know every point your making, I know how and where I need to improve, things have just got much harder since I started.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:21 on Mar 29, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Inspector 34 posted:

Is there a way to document that you were there at the designated time? I would think an email saying "Hey I'm here, where the gently caress are you?" should be a good enough paper trail that management wouldn't really want to pursue any kind of actual discipline.

Seems a little ridiculous that in the type of professional environment that requires scheduled meetings people are tattling on each other and "getting in trouble". Absolutely peeve worthy.

In my case, I had the outgoing calls on my phone, and I made sure to talk to the other engineer so he knew what was up.

The idiot engineer was notorious for trying to pass blame to other people. For each of our projects, we had to do a monthly cost report for work done during that month with projections for the following month and the rest of the year. Most engineers on my projects were awesome at getting the necessary documents and figures to me at the start of the week, but this one would be constantly adjusting things until the end of the day on Friday (when the reports had to be sent off to the district office) and then complaining to the district manager that I (or the business person on one of his other projects) wasn't doing my job.

He later got fired for botching his part of a bid because he finished it right at the deadline, so no one had time to double-check it. I usually ended up helping with the double-checks, and he tried to blame me and another engineer for his gently caress-up. It didn't go over well.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
When someone posts an image like this:

or this:

and the next 10 posts are people just repeating things from it. It's as bad as those tumblr screenshots that include a bunch of replies just repeating the same thing for emphasis

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

BioEnchanted posted:

At work I'm starting to get burned out and making too many mistakes, so my manager has been pulling me in for meetings, and I know she's just trying to avoid me getting fired, which is starting to look more and more likely, but she's being so condescending about it. The last thing she said to me today really annoyed me, because it was "How long have you been working here?" Rhetorically. The answer is four years yes, so normally there would be no excuse for new mistakes to crop up, but since I started things have changed. I'm being put on more and more accounts as time goes on, meaning my days are only getting busier, and some of our tools have changed to ones that, while more stable, are way more inconvenient to actually use. They are now longer too because I work 12 hours on the days that I work, which is exhausting at the best of times, and my manager works 8 hours a day so she isn't in any position to actually know what it's like (aka, not really something you get used to, more put up with so I've just been getting more and more tired at work as the sleep cycle disruption just builds). It's just like, I know every point your making, I know how and where I need to improve, things have just got much harder since I started.

If you haven't already, you should push back and explain all the poo poo you posted here. Because you are being ground to dust and it's on them.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
As for my own issues, I received some documents to fill out regarding my Dad's death and they're visibly skewed.

Also, I've been trying to get some work done, but I'm waiting on several logins that people forgot to give me.

And word keeps setting its dictionary to UK English

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I usually send a mail politely asking if the person is going to make it or if I should reschedule. CYA and makes me look good at the same time. Never had anyone try to claim I was the one who missed the meeting, and most of them are online anyway I'm not actually losing any time.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

and the next 10 posts are people just repeating things from it. It's as bad as those tumblr screenshots that include a bunch of replies just repeating the same thing for emphasis

I see you probably have been reading the funny pictures thread too. That stuff drives me nuts as well. Also people who quote something from them (or just quote a post) and it's just the forum path with the quote as the new thread title.

Funny things should stand on their own, they don't need people to put big flashing lights around it while saying "this is the funny part". We know.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

When someone posts an image like this:

or this:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I see you probably have been reading the funny pictures thread too. That stuff drives me nuts as well. Also people who quote something from them (or just quote a post) and it's just the forum path with the quote as the new thread title.

Funny things should stand on their own, they don't need people to put big flashing lights around it while saying "this is the funny part". We know.

You guys seem to be lost. This is the Post Your Favourite subforum but I think you want to be posting in the Coldly Compiling Lists subforum. Easy mistake to make, I know.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

There's a difference between posting your favorite content and literally just posting phrases from someone else's image word for word with nothing else.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

There's a difference between posting your favorite content and literally just posting phrases from someone else's image word for word with nothing else.

What if those phrases are my Favourite thing and I want to Post them?

gentle pete
Feb 21, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
I WANT TIN TIN TO SUFFER.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Wow some of these are reprehensible. Also tag urself i'm gently caress my cat

Nigel Tufnel
Jan 4, 2005
You can't really dust for vomit.
Being waved to a self checkout machine by a supermarket employee that I was already clearly walking towards. Don't tell me to do something I was already going to do!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

People who pound on their keys when typing. Your desk should not be shaking while you're writing your paper, calm down. The only saving grace is that he doesn't have one of those obnoxiously loud mechanical keyboards.

Also, people who use a mouse without a mousepad. I don't care that you don't technically "need" one, but it is like 10 times quieter if you do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Also, people who use a mouse without a mousepad. I don't care that you don't technically "need" one, but it is like 10 times quieter if you do.
What noise are they making that a mousepad would muffle? What are they doing with their mouse? If you just slide it around on your desk it's barely audible even to the person using it, unless you're in a totally silent room.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

What noise are they making that a mousepad would muffle? What are they doing with their mouse? If you just slide it around on your desk it's barely audible even to the person using it, unless you're in a totally silent room.

Depends on the mouse and what the table is made out of. Plastic edges moving on wood is loud. Some mouses are quieter than others but the cheaper mouses that don't have any padding to quiet it down are mostly what I'm referring to. Either way, there's really no reason not to use a mousepad.

And the room would be near silent, were it not for the banging typist and his scrapey mouse.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Either way, there's really no reason not to use a mousepad.

Other than that they're dirty, unnecessary, get in the way, and often make your mouse work worse than it does straight on the desk?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Other than that they're dirty, unnecessary, get in the way, and often make your mouse work worse than it does straight on the desk?

I think i just found out my annoying officemate's SA account.

e: and it only gets dirty if you let it or use it as a napkin or something. Just replace it when it starts looking shabby. And who cares about mouse performance as long as it can perform the basic tasks of clicking and moving the cursor? We're talking about work not playing video games.

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 12:23 on Mar 30, 2017

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

I think i just found out my annoying officemate's SA account.

e: and it only gets dirty if you let it or use it as a napkin or something. Just replace it when it starts looking shabby. And who cares about mouse performance as long as it can perform the basic tasks of clicking and moving the cursor? We're talking about work not playing video games.

I had to take a CPA exam sometime last year and it was a giant airport hangar where we had to bring in laptops to do the test. Dude beside me brought his mouse with the laptop which didn't seem to work 100% as he had to jiggle and clang it against the plastic table we used because I guess it didn't always pick up his movement.

Then again, joke was on me because I used the touchpad and accidentally locked it for 5 minutes and couldn't figure out how I did it (wasn't my laptop).

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
People who refuse to fly anywhere for 24 hours without ten goddamn suitcases. And these fat midwesterners loudly bray that each of these overstuffed suitcases is totally a carryon, they swearsies.

No, bitch, your eighty-pound overstuffed bag isn't going to fit in the overhead. You know that announcement the crew always has to make? The one that goes "Please put your roller bags wheels out, instead of lengthwise!" Yeah, that announcement? IT APPLIES TO YOU, TOO, BITCH!

I travel with a backpack. If I can't fit my backpack in the overhead bin because you absolutely must treat your massive pile of shoes and clothing loosely-bound with tape as a carry on bag, I get irrationally loving angry.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Related: when you have a bag that you have checked is within regulation size and they make you put it in that testing box. Everybody knows those are much smaller than their rules say but we all have to pretend like it's the right size. I have been flying with this same bag for years on nearly every plane model your airline has, i know for a fact it fits in the actual overhead (the proper way too, as described in the above post).

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Related: when you have a bag that you have checked is within regulation size and they make you put it in that testing box. Everybody knows those are much smaller than their rules say but we all have to pretend like it's the right size. I have been flying with this same bag for years on nearly every plane model your airline has, i know for a fact it fits in the actual overhead (the proper way too, as described in the above post).
Oh yeah, this. I have a standard sized bag which is exactly as large as you're allowed to have a carry on, and I had it on half a dozen flights at least without anyone giving a poo poo. This last trip however they made me stick it in the testing box where it fit, of course, but was getting caught on the wheels and handles. Yet they made me put it all the way in, way past the point it was clear that it fits, and then struggle to get it out. Then also checked the weight, which was like 1kg over but luckily I could take out my camera bag and pretend it was my man-purse.

I wouldn't mind them charging :20bux: for checked luggage if they didn't make me deal with this bullshit at least.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
People who put too much poo poo in their cart and then when the cashier starts ringing them up they realize that *gasp* all this stuff costs money which they inevitably don't have, so they start questioning the cashier: "aren't those [x] supposed to be $1.99? Isn't that buy one get one free?" Then they start deciding what to put back, digging through the packed bags for items. It's especially bad if the cashier has to call a manager to check a price (no it wasn't 1.99 or but one get one free (usually with the latter it's similar items but different brands. Like the cheap brand is buy one get one free but the expensive one isn't, so they get a cheap and expensive one and they argue.)) ghh

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Thin Privilege posted:

People who put too much poo poo in their cart and then when the cashier starts ringing them up they realize that *gasp* all this stuff costs money which they inevitably don't have, so they start questioning the cashier: "aren't those [x] supposed to be $1.99? Isn't that buy one get one free?" Then they start deciding what to put back, digging through the packed bags for items. It's especially bad if the cashier has to call a manager to check a price (no it wasn't 1.99 or but one get one free (usually with the latter it's similar items but different brands. Like the cheap brand is buy one get one free but the expensive one isn't, so they get a cheap and expensive one and they argue.)) ghh

80% of the time, these people are wrong and 90% of the time, it's for a difference of a dollar or less.

Nettles Coterie
Dec 24, 2008

Play in the Dark, lest the Heat catch you standing still

Thin Privilege posted:

People who put too much poo poo in their cart and then when the cashier starts ringing them up they realize that *gasp* all this stuff costs money which they inevitably don't have,

I unfortunately work as a cashier, and it always baffles me how many people just pile random poo poo into their cart and sort it out AT THE REGISTER. I've had people leave behind well over half the poo poo they'd picked out. Like, sometimes they come up and outright say "I only have $50, so you can just stop once we hit that amount", sometimes they stand there and carefully inspect each individual item for 30+ seconds before giving it to me (ignoring the folks waiting behind them) and sometimes they decide they don't want something and try to cram it into the PoP shelves instead of just loving handing it to me and telling me they don't want it like a normal human being. Look, fucko, I don't care if you don't want that ground beef, just PLEASE give it to me instead of hiding it behind the gum where it'll go bad and leak reeking meat juice everywhere!

As for pricing complaints, the store I work at gives a 5-cent credit for using your own bags, and it is absolutely BAFFLING how many people will come back pitching a fit because the cashier forgot to take off their loving bag nickel. How does a person get to a point in their life where they're willing to berate a stranger over 5 cents?

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Nettles Coterie posted:

I unfortunately work as a cashier, and it always baffles me how many people just pile random poo poo into their cart and sort it out AT THE REGISTER. I've had people leave behind well over half the poo poo they'd picked out. Like, sometimes they come up and outright say "I only have $50, so you can just stop once we hit that amount", sometimes they stand there and carefully inspect each individual item for 30+ seconds before giving it to me (ignoring the folks waiting behind them) and sometimes they decide they don't want something and try to cram it into the PoP shelves instead of just loving handing it to me and telling me they don't want it like a normal human being. Look, fucko, I don't care if you don't want that ground beef, just PLEASE give it to me instead of hiding it behind the gum where it'll go bad and leak reeking meat juice everywhere!

As for pricing complaints, the store I work at gives a 5-cent credit for using your own bags, and it is absolutely BAFFLING how many people will come back pitching a fit because the cashier forgot to take off their loving bag nickel. How does a person get to a point in their life where they're willing to berate a stranger over 5 cents?

Luckily we don't have anything to do with discounts outside of a loyalty card that gives money back automatically but when I work nights I always get at least one person an hour ago has like three things, demands a register while I'm filling drink fridges and states "Oh, I want to keep you in a job. :smuggo:" Like I wasn't actually working because I wasn't directly serving a customer.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

People who insist on small talk when it's obvious you're reading.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Sociopastry posted:

People who insist on small talk when it's obvious you're reading.

Especially if you're on lunch break from a job that involves making endless small talk with random guests.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Nettles Coterie posted:

Is this an american thing? I never worked at a cashregister so I wouldn't know, but I can't imagine it happening where I live.

Shopping related pet peeve, people waiting to take their wallet out until the cashier tells them the ammount they need to pay. And it is always somebody with a humungus wallet with tons of receipts that they need to dig through to find their bills.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

People who add "ee" sounds to words where they don't belong. Processees. Watcheeng. "Look at him" becomes "look at 'eem". This isn't an accent thing either, it's native English speakers pronouncing certain words in a hosed up and weird way.

People who say things like "needs fixed" instead of "needs to be fixed". I realize it is bad and prescriptivist of me but your car doesn't "need washed", it needs to be washed.

Also people who can't turn properly when driving and cut into the oncoming lane of the road they're turning onto. Left turns making a sharp diagonal across the left lane instead of squaring off the turn and staying in the right lane, and right turns swerving wide out into the left lane are equally obnoxious and unnecessary and should be cause for failing a driving test.

This is in the US, so obviously if you live in one of the countries where they drive on the wrong left side, just swap left and right around. Do people drive like this in other countries?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

People who keep reading their books when I feel like talking.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I don't know what it is about Craigslist that completely breaks down the western convention that haggling a price is considered gauche, but that's not my pet peeve. My pet peeve is that people are insultingly bad at it.

Trying to sell a camper worth 15k for 12k. Guy emails me, telling me that his buddy who totally exists and sells campers for a living says it's only worth 7.5k at most. References a website that doesn't exist as a secondary source. Texts me every day at 7 AM to ask if I'm ready to relent.

Worse are the people who agree to a price, then show up and try to buy a $200 item for $50. Every single goddamn time. I once shaved 10% off a workout bench for a kid just because he didn't try to pull anything.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

They must have been watching too much pawn stars. Haggling like that makes sense if you have overhead to take care of and have to resell it, but for a random guy off the street there should only be a 10-20% wiggle room margin for haggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
if you think that's some kind of new thing caused by or related in any way to Craigslist you just never tried to sell a used vehicle or hold a yard sale before Craigslist was a thing