Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I love the idea of Oracle but I totally get why people don't like that a 20-year-old story where Barbara gets sexually assaulted ended up defining her character for a long-rear end time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I feel like you could adapt it by changing how she becomes disabled, but let's be real. The DCEU exists just to retread what the comics did as shallowly as possible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Roth posted:

I feel like you could adapt it by changing how she becomes disabled, but let's be real. The DCEU exists just to retread what the comics did as shallowly as possible.

Then you lose that coveted Jared Leto cameo.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Roth posted:

She could just be paralyzed from a young age.

The thought of Babs being shot on screen and gross comics nerds clapping when Jared Leto opens the door makes my dry heave.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Timeless Appeal posted:

The thought of Babs being shot on screen and gross comics nerds clapping when Jared Leto opens the door makes my dry heave.

I can't help but think this is exactly the last shot of the movie.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

twistedmentat posted:

I can't help but think this is exactly the last shot of the movie.

No it won't eb.

It'll be the post credit stinger.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Gail SImone sucks. Joss Whedon sucks.

And it appears that the GITS flick really loving sucks.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's not really "they" though. You have to remember that Babs was pretty much a dead character at the time. What brought her back was Ostrander turning her into Oracle. If you haven't read Ostrander's Babs stuff you should.

I'm currently reading the trades of Ostranders Suicide Squad and loving it. I think this might be the best series in DC history. I wish they would release the tpbs faster. I already burned through the first 4 volumes.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
At least they are still coming out. Where the hell is my Ostrander's Spectre Vol 3 DC?!? Where is it?!

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Rhyno posted:

And it appears that the GITS flick really loving sucks.

I saw a trailer for it before Skull Island on Tuesday, and I got really excited when Making of a Cyborg started and then it just crashed when it turned out to be a dubstep remix. I must have had that monkey's paw because I kept on mentioning that I wished they'd just used the music from the original instead of whatever generic music they used in the trailers.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mr President posted:

I don't dispute that. I just think it was dumb how they made her handicap because Alan Moore wrote an elseworld where joker shot her.

It wasn't an elseworld, and was always meant to be canon. It's why Alan Moore had to get permission to paralyze Babs from Len Wein, who's quoted as telling him to "yeah, okay, cripple the bitch." (I've also seen him quoted as saying "just shoot the bitch," so details vary with each account, but the fact remains that editorial approval was required.) The Batgirl comic at the time also had a story development specifically to set things up for the Killing Joke. If it was an elseworld story, none of this would have been necessary.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Falstaff posted:

The Batgirl comic at the time also had a story development specifically to set things up for the Killing Joke.

Is there any information that supports the claim that Batgirl was retired with the Killing Joke in mind? I was under the impression that it was more of a "we're not using that character anymore, feel free to torture and maim her or whatever it is hairy English wizards do" situation.

E: Apart from the article you linked that directly quotes Barbara Kesel, which I was too lazy to read before posting.

haitfais fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Mar 31, 2017

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I know anyone who cares about RLM has probably already seen this, but they have this fake nerd podcast format called "The Nerd Crew". Earlier today they dropped a faux podcast parodying some pretty popular movie youtubers while discussing Justice League and Spider Man. Selected quote "did the cheque clear? Did I like it?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJD5oAruU_Q

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Falstaff posted:

It wasn't an elseworld, and was always meant to be canon. It's why Alan Moore had to get permission to paralyze Babs from Len Wein, who's quoted as telling him to "yeah, okay, cripple the bitch." (I've also seen him quoted as saying "just shoot the bitch," so details vary with each account, but the fact remains that editorial approval was required.) The Batgirl comic at the time also had a story development specifically to set things up for the Killing Joke. If it was an elseworld story, none of this would have been necessary.

It's elseworlds dude hence why batman kills joker at the end hence why it's called The KILLING joke

Some random article on the internet with no sources isn't going to change that . If the permission thing is even true it's probably because in those days comics were for kids and Moore had to get special permission to depict iconic characters in such a dark story.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Mar 31, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Mr President posted:

It's elseworlds dude hence why batman kills joker at the end hence why it's called The KILLING joke
He doesn't kill the Joker.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Next you're going to tell me he doesn't tell a joke.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr President posted:

Some random article on the internet with no sources isn't going to change that . If the permission thing is even true it's probably because in those days comics were for kids and Moore had to get special permission to depict iconic characters in such a dark story.

More like alt WRONG

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

bunnyofdoom posted:

No it won't eb.

It'll be the post credit stinger.

I can see it now, Babs opens the door, the Joker and Harley are there. He shoots Babs with some gold deagle and then as she's laying on the floor bleeding, The Joker starts to undo his pants and Harley says "and now the real fun starts" as she pulls out her phone.

I can see Synder coming up with that after Tony Montanaing it with Goyer.

Of course Synder would personally direct thr stinger

SMP
May 5, 2009

Maybe we'll get a two for one with a Batgirl / Jason Todd team up prequel. :unsmigghh:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You people really have a fundamental misunderstanding of Zack Snyder

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yes, for one thing they're actually talking about David Goyer.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Jeremy Renner passed on Mission Impossible Six and is going to co-star in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

This is part of Marvel's post-Infinity War direction of "Unexpected team ups and intimate character stories."

It seems like they wanted to focus on Ant-Man and The Wasp, so they made sure to bring in the person who would least distract from them.

(I like Renner and Hawkeye is fine, but "shoot arrows good" will always be funny when sitting next to Ant-Man, The Hulk, or Thor)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hawkeye fires Ant-Man into battle, then sits on the deck drinking a beer until his next mission.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Also: Peyton Reed is directing Ant-Man and The Wasp.

The script is being written by Peyton Reed, Paul Rudd, and a team of two other writers who worked with Edgar Wright and Peyton Reed on the Ant-Man original draft and the post-Wright second pass.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The script is being written by Peyton Reed, Paul Rudd, and a team of two other writers who worked with Edgar Wright and Peyton Reed on the Ant-Man original draft and the post-Wright second pass.

Sounds good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

purple death ray posted:

It was absolutely nothing special. I can't even really call it 'bad', it just sort of existed. Terrible costume, completely blah comics, frequent Killing Joke callbacks. Utterly forgettable, which is why most people have completely forgotten it, which is why it's so baffling that they'd make a movie out of it rather than the Extremely Popular Batgirl that made them a bunch of money and got them a bunch of good PR.

Tarr and Stewart's Batgirl of Burnside has a bunch of cool villains in it too. They'll definitely use either James Jr. or Harley though or possibly both.

I don't think the quality of the writing is that much better in the Burnside stuff (and I suspect people here would riot at all the millennial pandering), but it's also not as super grim and overwrought as the book was when Simone was writing it.

And if they don't at least use the Burnside costume at least that's just stupid. It was designed to translate to live action.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ant-Man was a surprise that turned into one of my stealth favorite Marvel movies, so it's good to see they've got a lot of the same talent working on this one. And if they're going to keep it relatively contained in scope like the first and want a team-up, Hawkeye makes sense. I'm looking forward to this movie.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Mr President posted:

Except he doesn't kill the joker.

If you believe authorial intent matters, then Moore has stated in interviews he didn't kill the joker in that story.

If you're big into Death of the Author, then consider that the final panel in the book is completely identical to the first panel in the book, i.e., the struggle between Batman and his nemesis will continue, nothing of consequence has changed there. The idea that the joker dies was popularized by Grant Morrison, except he had less than nothing to do with the Killing Joke, so...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Also TKJ was not an Elseworld when it was published because Elseworld's didn't loving exist at that point.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It was also years after Year One and Dark Knight Returns so lol at the idea that Batman was only starring in kids books until killing joke. Youre not only wrong about minorities in comics you don't actually know much about them. Typical fake geek boy

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Arist posted:

Ant-Man was a surprise that turned into one of my stealth favorite Marvel movies, so it's good to see they've got a lot of the same talent working on this one. And if they're going to keep it relatively contained in scope like the first and want a team-up, Hawkeye makes sense. I'm looking forward to this movie.
Wouldn't shock me if it was about bringing Janet Van Dyne back from the microverse

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Wait what......? Batman killed Joker at the end of TKJ? Do I have a copy from an alternate reality or something? lmao

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
oh god not this again

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

pubic works project posted:

Wait what......? Batman killed Joker at the end of TKJ? Do I have a copy from an alternate reality or something? lmao

Batman did not kill the Joker at the end of TKJ. Some people interpreted the final shot as Batman strangling the Joker but the script doesn't back that up.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

ImpAtom posted:

Batman did not kill the Joker at the end of TKJ. Some people interpreted the final shot as Batman strangling the Joker but the script doesn't back that up.
Uh excuse me let me tell you about this little thing called Death of the Author :smugbert:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

achillesforever6 posted:

Uh excuse me let me tell you about this little thing called Death of the Author :smugbert:

(the joker was the author)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

oh god not this again

Joker's the best comic book villain because he's the only one that constantly fucks up every thread about comic books ever.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

zoux posted:

Joker's the best comic book villain because he's the only one that constantly fucks up every thread about comic books ever.

And comic book movies, apparently.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Do you suppose CZJ will end up playing Janet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you suppose CZJ will end up playing Janet?

She would be perfect, especially with her hairstyle from Chicago.

• Locked thread