Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BCR
Jan 23, 2011

My unofficial rankings of the different chinas

China

+ If you're a 20ish year old white male, you will enjoy the lack of rules, heavy drinking no fucks given culture.
+ Being competent is seen as a superpower.
- Everything is poison
- You will be reminded of your guest worker status repeatedly and randomly

Taiwan
+ Is no 1
+ had a civil society so you can be a goddamn adult, doing adult things and having adult opinions
- less pay because less people so :( on the money but thank gently caress you're not part of the meat sandwich that is rush hour China public transport
- too many expats coming from Korea who are so so soooo damaged

Hong Kong
+ has warm south China climate
+ has independent thoughts
- on the way to being just another chinese city
- the rent on a loving rabbit warrens shelf is some ridiculous bullshit because the the loving elite went from fygm cocksucking brits to fygm cocksucking china elites condemning the under 40s to max commute japan hours work with a bowl of noodles being the only loving luxury you can have

Singapore
+ hot
+ small
- is a claustrophobic company town that you need to fly out of once a month to get somewhere where you can finally loving breathe goddamnit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

MY TAIWAN BBALL IS LIKE AN EX GIRLFRIEND

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:
Cultural Revolution poo poo is coming back
https://twitter.com/hancocktom/status/838389718224011264?s=09

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

BCR posted:

My unofficial rankings of the different chinas

China

+ If you're a 20ish year old white male, you will enjoy the lack of rules, heavy drinking no fucks given culture.
+ Being competent is seen as a superpower.
- Everything is poison
- You will be reminded of your guest worker status repeatedly and randomly

Taiwan
+ Is no 1
+ had a civil society so you can be a goddamn adult, doing adult things and having adult opinions
- less pay because less people so :( on the money but thank gently caress you're not part of the meat sandwich that is rush hour China public transport

Hong Kong
+ has warm south China climate
+ has independent thoughts
- on the way to being just another chinese city
- the rent on a loving rabbit warrens shelf is some ridiculous bullshit because the the loving elite went from fygm cocksucking brits to fygm cocksucking china elites condemning the under 40s to max commute japan hours work with a bowl of noodles being the only loving luxury you can have

Singapore
+ hot
+ small
- is a claustrophobic company town that you need to fly out of once a month to get somewhere where you can finally loving breathe goddamnit

Japan
+ is the best
- i'm not there right now

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

what would happen to an explicitly maoist but entirely populist cultural revolution style popular movement

would the government still disappear them and crack heads or would they more or less tie their hands and look the other way

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

basic hitler posted:

what would happen to an explicitly maoist but entirely populist cultural revolution style popular movement

would the government still disappear them and crack heads or would they more or less tie their hands and look the other way

What would happen to anything that challenges the status quo as Xi wills it?

Hint: the government would disappear them

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

the last person to do some vaguely maoist poo poo was bo xilai and look where that got him

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The 50th anniversary of the Cultural Revolution was last year and the Maoist marches for it were mostly suppressed. The funniest story of if all was a group of Maoists who went to Hong Kong to do their Cultural Revolution Mao march because it was the only place with freedom of speech that they could march in.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
They're super careful about letting anything become popular including their own programs, like how the anti-japan movement was suppressed a few years back after it became inconveniently big.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

nickmeister posted:

I don't know. On the one hand, if you don't have an Asian face you're going to be treated like some sort of radioactive alien no matter how well kempt you are. On the other hand, they're white so they can still get laid without trying if they put down their DS for a moment. If you're black or brown, you REALLY have to put your best foot forward to get something approaching decent treatment.

So of these very average looking nerds with very average nerd personalities can stop giving a poo poo and still partner up with average women who are still way out of their league, why don't they go 'Hmm, I'm a 4 and no effort gets me a 6, I wonder what happens when I put in some effort?'. Not that I condone pickup artist bullshit but you get my point. The answer is they're lazy goony nerds but it seems frustrating to see?

I guess the other option is 'I'll make an effort but instead of the 'best' women I'm going to plumb the depths of the metaphorical jungle for undiscovered cryptofauna' and we get the Dr. Livingstonesque Haier (who is doing very important hands on cultural studies and please never stop posting).

Outrail fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Mar 31, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Growing up poor is a good reason to insist that your people have always had horses.

Sure, but like it doesn't actually help anything and just makes everyone else in the world think you're kind of an idiot.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Vesi posted:

They're super careful about letting anything become popular including their own programs, like how the anti-japan movement was suppressed a few years back after it became inconveniently big.

Yeah, also the anti japanese stuff a few years ago around whatever island it was was way, way bigger than this korea stuff now from everything i've seen. p much all the 7-11s in the country were closed for like a few days (this was a bigger deal than it sounds cuz there are like 1000000 of them everywhere), people were vandalizing any Japanese car they saw, and traffic was stopped from mass marches around town. I remember the US consulate also had huge crowds around it with people mad the US was keeping silent on the issue of island sovereignty.

This time it's basically old people with nothing better to do saying lotte is bad.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Schools are also pushing the hate. Students at mine always hated Koreans but it's gotten significantly worse over the past month or so.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

that reminds me of the best thing I saw during the Japanese stuff years ago which was an ad all over campus with a PLA dude pointing out at the reader and giant text that translated to:

"The diaoyu islands are China's, and great spoken English can be yours! Call our English school for more info!"

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

BCR posted:

please expand upon this, sounds like some good stories...

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
We called it the one way door.

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

A true and accurate representation of ESL teaching in Korea.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Sheep-Goats posted:

Also while I appreciate that growing up poor in a lovely environment and drawing your identity from an abused people lends some advantages and creates other obstacles, but everyone has things they can forgive for and things they can't. I grew up in a place where our minorities were natives and have heard the usual "gently caress you white boy" at 2am walking to my car or diatribes about my thieving lying soul at 1:45 am before leaving that same bar, that's fine. If I run into some kindly old native woman telling me a story about how the earth was made that's fine, I'll be nice to her. But when a young man in 2017 wants to insist that his people have had horses since the time the turtle laid the world egg I'm not going to bend over backwards to allow for it or understand how his tortured soul came to this misalignment, I'm going to laugh at him.

I would like to think that if I were a member of that community and rich white kids from Toronto were willing to do four years of college and then come out to the loving wasteland I inhabit with no worthwhile girls to make no money teaching a lot of kids that don't give a poo poo that maybe I'd give him a little more respect and not try to get him fired for carefully explaining science to a 12 year old.

In a science classroom you have a duty to teach science. Same for history in a history classroom. Science and history often have conclusions that are at odds with closely held personal beliefs, including very tender ones, for a lot of people. Part of learning is running into those things and having them run over you sometimes and that doesn't just go for those that have never been run over before, it also goes for those that have. There's no such thing as a just abuse -- getting injured by someone else happens, whether they are right to do that however doesn't have much to do with the fact that there's an injury involved or in the capacity of the injured party to bear another injury. We have a human obligation to lessen the impact of these kinds of things when we can but it's wrong to go into fantasy land to prevent a collision to begin with.
Thanks for the actual human reply btw, I actually agree that science should come first but when it comes to them (and a few other groups) I get a bit tetchy.

That said, there's shitlords in every group and being part of a marginalized one doesn't magically not make you one, so I ain't sayin' his experience wasn't garbage either. Ehhh.

Jeoh posted:

the last person to do some vaguely maoist poo poo was bo xilai and look where that got him
Yeah, people try and point out he was corrupt but that's literally everyone. The real reason was that he was moving towards a more left-wing direction, whether just as a ploy or for real and the other cliques were not happy about it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Outrail posted:

I guess the other option is 'I'll make an effort but instead of the 'best' women I'm going to plumb the depths of the metaphorical jungle for undiscovered cryptofauna' and we get the Dr. Livingstonesque Haier (who is doing very important hands on cultural studies and please never stop posting).
LOL, y'all act like you've never waited until she went to the bathroom so you could stuff the used condoms and clean-up tissues into your bag because you're worried she might try to stuff them up her cooch when you leave her house.

I walked 5km back home with them safely out of her 'gina.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Speaking of used condoms, on your last day, put a used one over the doorknob of the gnome. Along with a note in chinese "Your exwife sends her regards. Best, laowai neighbour."

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

ew, dude, wtf

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Efexeye posted:

ew, dude, wtf

beats the alternative

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haier posted:

LOL, y'all act like you've never waited until she went to the bathroom so you could stuff the used condoms and clean-up tissues into your bag because you're worried she might try to stuff them up her cooch when you leave her house.

Out of all the possible emotions I think I'm going to go with 'impressed'. And I'm going to have that in the back of my mind every time. Thanks.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS

Haier posted:

Legit fear.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Considering how many of these ladies have meltdowns demanding a hybrid baby I don't hold that level of paranoia against him.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
The preferred nomenclature is, "a beautiful halfie."

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Accretionist posted:

The preferred nomenclature is, "a beautiful halfie."

Weird that's what most women call my dick too...

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ladron posted:

please expand upon this, sounds like some good stories...

Eh, some damaged and some not. But I do meet a lot of people here who taught in Korea before and have the usual range of Korea experiences from "eh it was okay I guess" to "man, gently caress Korea so hard"

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I dressed like an adult in china and got a lot of mileage out of it.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Eh, some damaged and some not. But I do meet a lot of people here who taught in Korea before and have the usual range of Korea experiences from "eh it was okay I guess" to "man, gently caress Korea so hard"

I've never lived in Korea, just spend 1-2 weeks a year there for work. The US/UK guys that I work with who live there love it, but maybe it's because they don't have to teach? I know I always have a good time in Seoul/Daejon, although eventually I get tired of eating kimchi and banchan with every meal.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Living in Korea without working for Koreans is a very different and much superior experience.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
http://i.imgur.com/zIQTNRg.gifv

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Wanna know how I got these scars?

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
:stare:

I know the Darwin awards exist, but why.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

WarpedNaba posted:

:stare:

I know the Darwin awards exist, but why.

A good way to remove eyebrows?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

JaucheCharly posted:

A good way to remove eyebrows?

Nah his eyebrows are covered, he just hates shaving. Probably gets razor burn or something

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Last time I went for a haircut at the local turk, he used a lighter to remove the soft fluffy hair from my ears. So yes, that makes sense.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I'm dumb man...

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/dandrezner/status/848195559303327750

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
From r/techsupportgore - "He dropped phone in fire wondered why screen wasn't working."

*Zooms in*
"Makes sense."

quote:

"After three years in the job it was a first for me, too. He was trying to film himself while barbecuing and was holding the phone with his chin when he dropped it into the BBQ between the slats. Hahahah."

• Locked thread