Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

mobby_6kl posted:

Somebody (russian saboteur??) was recording from a drone at the same time:
https://i.imgur.com/paqgG7f.mp4

Is there more than this gif? When that gif starts there's already several fires around the place, indicating that it's not the first explosion. Anyone with a drone living nearby could have got out after the first bangs to record it, it'd only be suspicious if the recording started before there was even any smoke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Seems like Russian PM Medvedev had a bit of a Marie Antoinette moment --- while there were protests in 80+ cities of his corruption
(with at least 1300 people detained) he..:
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/846143407831617537

... was apparently having fun skiing.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
Well, these events really strengthened his position; In fact, yesterday's protests probably ensured his continued premiership, the future of which was looking uncertain lately.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OddObserver posted:

Seems like Russian PM Medvedev had a bit of a Marie Antoinette moment --- while there were protests in 80+ cities of his corruption
(with at least 1300 people detained) he..:
https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/846143407831617537

... was apparently having fun skiing.

Could this possibly be with reference to Kushner?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry3DXYkTM-0

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

A few more of these here: http://theins.ru/news/49987

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Have the protests in Belarus continued or fallen off? What's the best English-language source for news out of the country? Googling 'belarus english news' gave me several obvious state propaganda mouthpieces and some sketchy-looking URLs that I refrained from clicking on.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Cugel the Clever posted:

Have the protests in Belarus continued or fallen off? What's the best English-language source for news out of the country? Googling 'belarus english news' gave me several obvious state propaganda mouthpieces and some sketchy-looking URLs that I refrained from clicking on.
Can't help you with news in English, but it doesn't look like the protests have continued. It's start of the working week after all.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Statkevich was released from prison. He says keep up the fight. The protests have been mostly on the weekends. Will have to wait and see if there are more. March 25th was the 100th anniversary of Belarus declaring independence from the Russian Empire and creating the BNR.

Hundreds of people were rounded up before the protests even happened. They're still in prison.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Cugel the Clever posted:

Try Euroradio http://euroradio.by/en.

Radio Prune
Feb 19, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrwlk7_GF9g

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

spacetoaster posted:

I'd be interested to find out if that was an actual "assassin" and not just some criminal that got pressured into doing it.
But of course Putin would be behind every opposition assassination within Russia.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/AndreaChalupa/s...23post470795878

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Isn't that the guy who was skimming off the top in Sochi and was under FBI investigation for laundering in NYC ?

While its a page back, the scary thing about Denis Voronenkov was how brazen the hit was. It's only 3 blocks from GRU HQ and the Continental Hotel in Kyiv is a major draw with the US Business lunch crowd. It really throws the controls since 2015 into review. If they knew how to get to Voronekov the message is they can pretty much get to anyone, as literally everyone goes to Continental for sex/vodka/business dealings.

Hal_2005 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 29, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My Ukrainian family is really upset at all the protests in russia because it shows soros and nato are attacking russia directly rather than just poor Ukraine. Why would those protestors accept bribes after what happened to Ukraine?? It's disgusting that "they" even paid children to go protest. This is just going to force russia to crack down. Why won't the west just stop provoking russia??? Maybe if the west stopped funding opposition groups and trying to stage coups in Russia it wouldn't need to be a dictatorship.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

My Ukrainian family is really upset at all the protests in russia because it shows soros and nato are attacking russia directly rather than just poor Ukraine. Why would those protestors accept bribes after what happened to Ukraine?? It's disgusting that "they" even paid children to go protest. This is just going to force russia to crack down. Why won't the west just stop provoking russia??? Maybe if the west stopped funding opposition groups and trying to stage coups in Russia it wouldn't need to be a dictatorship.
This is like discussing politics with my grandfather when he is drunk. Him being a former communist party official, the conversation goes from 0 to "17-dimensional Atlantean chess the Slavic spirit plays against the decadence of naive Western dweebs".

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Not much difference to discussing Trump with Republican family members. 'Tis a universal human defect.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah my wife's just given up trying to talk to her family about politics. She used to be able to talk about stuff like that with at least her parents, who were very anti-putin and one of the reasons they moved from russia to ukraine was to get away from all that. But after everything getting worse in Ukraine after the nato coup and all russian language news being kremlin propaganda they now want to move back to russia and although they still hate putin they think he's just doing what's needed to defend russia from being surrounded and under siege by the west from all angles. At least putin is trying to defend slavs right to exist. Anti-putin is just code for slav genocide and support for nazi's don't you know.

Also anything my wife says or believes just evokes them laughing and talking to her like a child. She's living in the west so surrounded by western propaganda, she's just so naive to think anyone would protest without being paid. Every world event no matter how small is all part of 8th dimensional chess by the ((globalists)) to advance their agenda. The west is fully under their control and everything in western media is a lie and propaganda. Russian media of course is also propaganda, they're wise enough to know that. So both sides just lie, the truth must be in the middle.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Mar 29, 2017

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah my wife's just given up trying to talk to her family about politics. She used to be able to talk about stuff like that with at least her parents, who were very anti-putin and one of the reasons they moved from russia to ukraine was to get away from all that. But after everything getting worse in Ukraine after the nato coup and all russian language news being kremlin propaganda they now want to move back to russia and although they still hate putin they think he's just doing what's needed to defend russia from being surrounded and under siege by the west from all angles. At least putin is trying to defend slavs right to exist. Anti-putin is just code for slav genocide and support for nazi's don't you know.
Being able to still have other conversations is not the worst outcome, I guess.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Being able to still have other conversations is not the worst outcome, I guess.

That might be all they can have in the future. I'm never setting foot in Russia under any circumstances, and my wife who is still technically a russian citizen is terrified of it or having to travel with her russian passport and having to hide or leave behind her Canadian one. She still has nightmares about having to some how go to russia, or being tricked into being on russian soil and never being allowed to go home due to some weird immigration reason, or being arrested or detained for days. She'd made it clear if they move to Russia, we're not visiting. They don't understand this at all. We would visit them in Ukraine, why not Russia? Russia is so much more safe than Ukraine! No nazi's, no coups. How could we possibly feel uncomfortable going there???

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

That might be all they can have in the future. I'm never setting foot in Russia under any circumstances, and my wife who is still technically a russian citizen is terrified of it or having to travel with her russian passport and having to hide or leave behind her Canadian one. She still has nightmares about having to some how go to russia, or being tricked into being on russian soil and never being allowed to go home due to some weird immigration reason, or being arrested or detained for days. She'd made it clear if they move to Russia, we're not visiting. They don't understand this at all. We would visit them in Ukraine, why not Russia? Russia is so much more safe than Ukraine! No nazi's, no coups. How could we possibly feel uncomfortable going there???
Dual citizen getting sucked up from Canada into legal quandary with Russian government does indeed sound like a stuff of nightmares if the life's working out abroad.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

I've read of it, but until recently I never really knew what was meant by assertions that propaganda is intended to destroy the ability to distinguish truth.

I suppose also that even if you reject the factual claims of propaganda, the overall tone (like a siege mentality) can still get transmitted.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

I've read of it, but until recently I never really knew what was meant by assertions that propaganda is intended to destroy the ability to distinguish truth.

I suppose also that even if you reject the factual claims of propaganda, the overall tone (like a siege mentality) can still get transmitted.

This is an old tactic, including an old USSR tactic, but it's special under these circumstances because by what we know it's core to Putin's actual personal beliefs. "Nothing Matters, no one is trustworty" and the associated beliefs aren't just focal to how Russia is governed, it's also central to rendering the very idea of civic discourse and democracy not only difficult, but laughable.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Russian_Starr/s...r%3D3360%23pti1

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Also anything my wife says or believes just evokes them laughing and talking to her like a child. She's living in the west so surrounded by western propaganda, she's just so naive to think anyone would protest without being paid. Every world event no matter how small is all part of 8th dimensional chess by the ((globalists)) to advance their agenda. The west is fully under their control and everything in western media is a lie and propaganda. Russian media of course is also propaganda, they're wise enough to know that. So both sides just lie, the truth must be in the middle.

This point of view is very difficult to debate, as it offers an immense gratification for the believer - it sets them up above the sheep as someone wise enough to see through the lies. This means they have additional motivation to not let themselves be proven wrong - it would mean not only they are not above commoners, but also more stupid and gullible than them.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

https://twitter.com/tonsofbeetles/status/847537260358541312

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
CIA is not protected?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

If I keep my kickstarter receipt soros will pay me back right? Or do I apply via the CIA?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Looks like law enforcers in Chechnya have ramped up rounding up people on suspicion of homosexuality. :yikes:

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

Baronjutter posted:

If I keep my kickstarter receipt soros will pay me back right? Or do I apply via the CIA?

According to some people on Twitter if you have a receipt you already are the CIA/Soros.

I actually visited OSF in London last week, funnily enough in the same building as Russia Today.

Even if you don't donate to the Kickstarter I've been doing Q&A updates some of you may find interesting:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1278239551/bellingcat-the-home-of-online-investigations/updates

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Looks like law enforcers in Chechnya have ramped up rounding up people on suspicion of homosexuality. :yikes:

Don't worry, Ramzan Kadyrov's gov denied these allegations, claiming gay people don't exist in Chechnya and if they would families would kill them themselves

quote:

“You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, told the news agency.

“If such people existed in Chechnya, law enforcement would not have to worry about them, as their own relatives would have sent them to where they could never return,” Mr. Karimov said.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Maybe I'm just naive and can't understand this poo poo, but I could never and still can't understand conservative country's obsession with the gays. It's not like they're a rival political movement or religion, they don't own disproportionate amounts of the economy, they don't have questionable foreign ties or potential loyalties during war. There's just no reason to be so ridiculous towards them. It even seems to be beyond some cynical reason like needing a hated other to rally/distract the people with, it often seems to be a genuine irrational murderous hatred.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
They can dress as a woman to fool good red-blooded Chechnyans to have sex with them and also turn gay.

It's that level of reasoning in extremely traditional, patriarchal societies

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
At its core, I think it's basically about submission. Breaking from social norms is a rebellion against traditional authority, thus any kind of deviation from a strict interpretation of propriety must be punished, harshly.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
They are very much seen as a political phenomenon; a provocation. They're a manifestation of the influence of the decadent west. Homosexuality is considered an aberration in these countries, so obviously foreign interests must be behind any native efforts in raising awareness and tolerance.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Evtushenko did die yesterday. :(

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

Another potential path is to consider how these societie's men think about women. Women are things you have sex with and are lower than you. That means that homosexuals want to have sex with *you*, maybe, and put you lower than them.

They're terrified at the idea of there being men who could view and treat them like they do women.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
That actually goes some way to explain the rampant coerced gay prostitution/rape of conscripts in the RF military.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

Maybe I'm just naive and can't understand this poo poo, but I could never and still can't understand conservative country's obsession with the gays. It's not like they're a rival political movement or religion, they don't own disproportionate amounts of the economy, they don't have questionable foreign ties or potential loyalties during war. There's just no reason to be so ridiculous towards them. It even seems to be beyond some cynical reason like needing a hated other to rally/distract the people with, it often seems to be a genuine irrational murderous hatred.

They undermine the traditional patriarchal structure of the family and society by weakening traditional masculinity, since in this framework masculinity is most of all about power and dominance, and gay men subvert that both by making men the objects of seduction (rather than purely the subjects) and by making men the submissive partner during sex (as well as the dominant partner). That's why guys like Kadyrov don't just say that being gay is bad, they say that homosexuality literally doesn't exist in their proper traditional masculine society, because their masculinity is so strong that it could never be undermined like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

vyelkin posted:

They undermine the traditional patriarchal structure of the family and society by weakening traditional masculinity, since in this framework masculinity is most of all about power and dominance, and gay men subvert that both by making men the objects of seduction (rather than purely the subjects) and by making men the submissive partner during sex (as well as the dominant partner). That's why guys like Kadyrov don't just say that being gay is bad, they say that homosexuality literally doesn't exist in their proper traditional masculine society, because their masculinity is so strong that it could never be undermined like that.
The weird part is that some ancient societies like Rome (and modern subcultures like the prisons or the Army) have the exact same view without denouncing homosexuality as a phenomenon - gay sex is fine as long as you're the fucker rather than the fuckee.