Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

B-Mac posted:

Has there been any announcement on the DLCs this game is sure to get?

Nothing official but good money is on a "find and rescue the quarian ark oh no a shocking twist and/or revelation" DLC.

Someone else (sorry I forgot who) suggested a "explore Meridian" DLC which I can also see as basically a dungeon crawler.

Then maybe a Kett themed DLC where you hunt a genetic gizmo to cure mom and thaw her?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I'm assuming we'll get an idea of DLC next week, especially for multiplayer.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Hedrigall posted:

Let the sexiest alien race rule.

And if there's disputes about that, let there be a sex off!

It's hard to beat all those Hanar tentacles beating you off.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Let the sexiest alien race rule.

And if there's disputes about that, let there be a sex off!

As if that isn't already the case.

Do you think it's a coincidence all the Council races are bipeds with features the asari find fuckable? Is it a 'coincidence' the race that just happens to resemble the asari the most got a Council seat years ahead of less asari-esque species?!

Wake up, people! The only reason humanity didn't get genophaged was because the asari want our pinkish-brownish sexy women!! Humans are the token sexy alien race!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
look you bring krogan because you're gonna need them to beat something up at some point, and they're happy to do it so long as you don't screw them over

or even if you do semi-screw them over like not rescuing Drack's scouts but you say "hey I'm sorry I understand this is disappointing" because krogan just want some dignity, man

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Tiny Deer posted:

As if that isn't already the case.

Do you think it's a coincidence all the Council races are bipeds with features the asari find fuckable? Is it a 'coincidence' the race that just happens to resemble the asari the most got a Council seat years ahead of less asari-esque species?!

Wake up, people! The only reason humanity didn't get genophaged was because the asari want our pinkish-brownish sexy women!! Humans are the token sexy alien race!

Creepy and accurate. We're the weird sex monsters mimicking the others. No wonder the others are kind of freaked out by us.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Remnant Gauntlet is pretty cool. Doesn't do much damage, but massively increases the damage they take from the subsequent shotgun blast.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Haledjian posted:

Hahah

Mithrava: This is a sacred place, aliens are not permitted here

Ryder: My bad

Ryder: *puts a forward station in it*

That was my thought too. I'm not sure dropping a jetfuel-spewing radio station with guns in it is all that respectful of the Angaran beliefs.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

The Lone Badger posted:

You can change loadout at a forward station.

It was on the alien city planet when you gain full access to the city & I was wearing a hoodie. Maybe there's a spot to gently caress with that kinda poo poo but I was at the end of the gaming day at that point anyway.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

I've been using the Remnant drone thing you get on the Tech tree during Peebee's quest chain. It seems okay but I'm not noticing it making a huge difference. Also sometimes it bugs out and stays summoned when I get onto the Tempest, then follows me around on the Tempest buzzing loudly, haha. I'll probably replace it with Energy Drain in my build because I need a good way to deal with shields and I'm sick of Overload.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jesus, my kingdom for a fourth ability slot. I was okay with it on my first playthrough (Charge + Nova + Singularity is all you really need with shield-healing melee), but I REALLY want to add Cryo Beam to my Engineer build. I've tried swapping favorites but it just seems like way more trouble then it's worth. Who playtested this and said "This is a good, fun system that encourages experimentation instead of just immediately maxing and using the same three skills forever'? And on that note, who the gently caress decided to make respecs cost money?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

BrianWilly posted:

So still the Krogan, then.

Agreed :c00lbert:

Cythereal posted:

I'm okay with the turians running the galaxy.

Also agreed :c00lbert:

Number Ten Cocks posted:

It's hard to beat all those Hanar tentacles beating you off.

A...agreed? :shepface:

Tiny Deer posted:

Humans are the token sexy alien race!

Don't be gross.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWFy2d0kIek

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

Jesus, my kingdom for a fourth ability slot. I was okay with it on my first playthrough (Charge + Nova + Singularity is all you really need with shield-healing melee), but I REALLY want to add Cryo Beam to my Engineer build. I've tried swapping favorites but it just seems like way more trouble then it's worth. Who playtested this and said "This is a good, fun system that encourages experimentation instead of just immediately maxing and using the same three skills forever'? And on that note, who the gently caress decided to make respecs cost money?

Yeah when I first heard about loadouts I thought they'd be really cool, but the way skills increase in cost and are way better maxed out than not it seems better to just max 3 out and then toss a bunch of points into passives.

I'm at the point where we can go to Meridian, but I have a slew of side/loyalty quests left so I'm gonna go knock all that out before I go.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I play as a vanguard and I mostly use tech powers as my primer. The vanguard profile is awesome but I'm having a bitch of a time leveling it up because I'm out of useful passives on the combat tree.

E: and I know that using overload and incinerate as my primers for a vanguard is dumb as gently caress but they're just too much fun to not use.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I play as a vanguard and I mostly use tech powers as my primer. The vanguard profile is awesome but I'm having a bitch of a time leveling it up because I'm out of useful passives on the combat tree.

E: and I know that using overload and incinerate as my primers for a vanguard is dumb as gently caress but they're just too much fun to not use.

At some point you start dumping points into skills you don't even want (maybe in alternate builds?) just to unlock the higher tier passives from the SAM mode switching thing your dad was doing in the opening mission.

I forget what it's called. I just set it to "biotic adept" and left it alone for the rest of the game.

If you go close to all out (I got some complimentary combat stuff to round it out) then you'll reach tier 5 by end of game. Tier 6 will be NG+ unless you want to just grind it out I guess.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I also wish for a 4th ability slot and hate that respect costs money.

But this system totally encourages experimentation. It cost the same to go from level 1-3 on an ability that it costs from 5-6. The game showers you in skills points and even if you are min/maxing you'll soon have extra points. If you aren't min/maxing it's easy to pick up some side skills and try them out.

The way I play, I have one favorite setup that is my go to "I have been using this set of abilities all game" fallback. I use the other profiles to try new combinations for awhile, knowing that if my experimental build sucks, I can switch mid combat to the tried and true. Every now and then, I'll respec to clean out skills I never liked. It's fun!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

evilmiera posted:

That was my thought too. I'm not sure dropping a jetfuel-spewing radio station with guns in it is all that respectful of the Angaran beliefs.

Who cares, within 3 generations they'll be regarded as savages richly deserving their subjugation.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

DO IT TO IT posted:

I've been using the Remnant drone thing you get on the Tech tree during Peebee's quest chain. It seems okay but I'm not noticing it making a huge difference. Also sometimes it bugs out and stays summoned when I get onto the Tempest, then follows me around on the Tempest buzzing loudly, haha. I'll probably replace it with Energy Drain in my build because I need a good way to deal with shields and I'm sick of Overload.

I upgraded it to go in close on enemies and I gave it the missiles that detonate combos. I'm trying a build that is it plus Singularity plus Throw. It drives people out of cover, which my Black Widow appreciates and we are explosion buds now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I am pretty amazed at getting congratulations from Meridian when gaining 100 percent viability on all outpost planets, considering I haven't visited it yet.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
And it's odd, because they're pretty careful to only mention Prodromos and the vault on Eos as things you've done before that. I guess they originally planned to have it much harder to 100% viability. :shrug:

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

evilmiera posted:

I am pretty amazed at getting congratulations from Meridian when gaining 100 percent viability on all outpost planets, considering I haven't visited it yet.

The usual lack of attention to details that is a common theme for all of the game. Funny enough, there are many elements they did actually take that attention, like getting an new approach movie to the Nexus post main mission or quests reacting to you having resolved the political situation on Kadara.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I finished with 85% completion and that was with my game breaking mission chain broken bug on the ice planet where I can't talk to the kett prisoners to free them and they just stand in their open cages forever.

100% should be easily achievable by any completionist. At least once a bunch of bug fixes are patched in :v:

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Decius posted:

The usual lack of attention to details that is a common theme for all of the game. Funny enough, there are many elements they did actually take that attention, like getting an new approach movie to the Nexus post main mission or quests reacting to you having resolved the political situation on Kadara.

it's really weird because there's a shitload of post-game dialogue. like you can have several full conversations with each squadmate and major NPCs. clearly someone was on the ball when planning all this out so it's noticeable how sloppy they are elsewhere

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pattonesque posted:

it's really weird because there's a shitload of post-game dialogue. like you can have several full conversations with each squadmate and major NPCs. clearly someone was on the ball when planning all this out so it's noticeable how sloppy they are elsewhere

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Someone planned a lot of it, but either they run out of time or out of care. They exchange for example the Nexus approach movie correctly to show how many Arks you have found. Except for some reason it never showed the Salarian Ark for me. And the picture of the Nexus always lagged one Ark behind. I think they simply wanted to get it out on March, hell or high water, and that's why we got this buggy, QA-less game that feels like playing a Early Access Alpha at many times, while being really great and wonderful at others.

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

Tei posted:

I score this game 0/10 subjetive-points.

Because in 30 or 40 hours playing it (maybe 60 hours?) I have failed to find a proper partner, alien or not.

Coke or Cake or whatever is called the human lady with weird hair (Cora?). I don't like her, she is not feminine enough.

This pilot is sexy and has big boobs. Suvi I think is the name. But she is into some weird religious poo poo. Don't stick the dick in crazy, they say.

The assair doctor don't play ball. Lexi I think is the name.

Peebee is too goofy. Like the daughter of a character from Sesamo Street. I talked to her long, to see if something clicks, but she is not very fun after all, or smart.

This is a failed game. Sad.

it's for the best, romancing and games is always creepy and overrated.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot
I'm romancing the Pyjak.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Aha ha ha make drat sure you don't die on the 'boss' of Vetra's loyalty mission.

The autosave puts me behind a door that won't open.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

anime tupac posted:

this will probably already have been dealt with by the time you read this, but everyone should do the super fast/easy tutorial mission for MP, and then also you should try to complete the steps in the "tutorial" category in your achievements or whatever they're called. You get credits for every step, or at least most of them, and it's a really nice boost compared to starting out in ME3 MP and just grinding out waves as a lowly douchebag and hoping to complete an objective wave

Hot tip, I never would've realized.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Why are people so enthusiastic about the Asari sword? When I tried to use it I found the blink kept putting me places I didn't want to be or made me miss. The kett sword with fire damage is way more powerful.

You have to be focused in on the guy you wanna kill. If the crosshairs are too far off it seems to dump you randomly near them. If you're on target and at the right distance it'll actually blink you behind them for a sweet backstab.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Vitamin P posted:

Aha ha ha make drat sure you don't die on the 'boss' of Vetra's loyalty mission.

Same happened here. The game keeps a lot of autosaves though, you lose like 5 minutes at the most.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You're over-correcting with the sword, try using it like a shotgun; aim from a short distance away instead of point-blank.

I've noticed when i'm real close it'll often reposition me a few steps back but still in the correct spot if my aiming is good. Best distance IMO is about five-seven strides away, so I guess about shotgun distance is right.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DancingShade posted:

At some point you start dumping points into skills you don't even want (maybe in alternate builds?) just to unlock the higher tier passives from the SAM mode switching thing your dad was doing in the opening mission.

I forget what it's called. I just set it to "biotic adept" and left it alone for the rest of the game.

If you go close to all out (I got some complimentary combat stuff to round it out) then you'll reach tier 5 by end of game. Tier 6 will be NG+ unless you want to just grind it out I guess.

Yeah, my vanguard profile is level 3, I just wish I was getting something out of the combat passives I'm leveling up. The biotic ones are awesome. Barriers has made me basically unkillable.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Hedrigall posted:

Don't be gross.

Hey, I'm not gross, the asari are gross. Blame them for uplifting the only other species with breasts they've found.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Vitamin P posted:

Yup. Happened to me too. If you didn't work this out already: the autosave one step back means you have to fight the previous room again so this is not the end of the game.

Decius posted:

Yeah, that's what I was getting at. Someone planned a lot of it, but either they run out of time or out of care. They exchange for example the Nexus approach movie correctly to show how many Arks you have found. Except for some reason it never showed the Salarian Ark for me. And the picture of the Nexus always lagged one Ark behind. I think they simply wanted to get it out on March, hell or high water, and that's why we got this buggy, QA-less game that feels like playing a Early Access Alpha at many times, while being really great and wonderful at others.

Yeah there is a lot of stuff in this game that screams "attention to detail on design collided with hitting this date on QA". All the problems I am seeing around progression breaks feel like plot flags not being set or checked correctly. The problem they made for themselves is that the more they tried to make a game that was reactive to player choices the more opportunities they gave themselves to mess that up, which would have needed even more QA than if they'd never tried in the first place.

After Hunting the Archon, you have a meeting with Nexus bigwigs. I'd need a save editor or a debug build to check this, but it seemed like every one of the Nexus leadership weighed in in ways that reflected my actions so far in the game, implying that there are dozens of slightly different ways that scene could have played out (I assume that it always ends the same way). People love to hate on the tasks, but I keep coming across little changes to the world that reflect what I did in them. For example, on Aya you get asked to talk to three Angaran who might want to transfer to the Nexus. You can succeed or fail at this depending on what you say. One of them was worried about being in touch with his family. Later, while walking around the Nexus I overheard an Anagran talking about how he's calling his family every day. It took a minute for me to connect those two things.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Pattonesque posted:

look you bring krogan because you're gonna need them to beat something up at some point, and they're happy to do it so long as you don't screw them over

or even if you do semi-screw them over like not rescuing Drack's scouts but you say "hey I'm sorry I understand this is disappointing" because krogan just want some dignity, man

Hell, if you end up not needing them at all just leave them in the freezer.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Decius posted:

Personally I'm pretty convinced it was a time issue.

With all the upper management turmoil this game, I would be really surprised if 5 years was actually spent on this Mass Effect Andromeda, as opposed to a sizeable portion being spent on other iterations that never saw the light of day.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Personally I'm pretty convinced it was a time issue.

With all the upper management turmoil this game, I would be really surprised if 5 years was actually spent on this Mass Effect Andromeda, as opposed to a sizeable portion being spent on other iterations that never saw the light of day.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_law

Is not confirmed but a lot of people suspect that when you find a software that require many stupid intermediate steps to complete a dumb simple task, it comes from companies where to complete a simple dumb task you have to comply with dumb bureaucracy steps.

The updated version of hell is not a place with large pools of lava on fire, but a cubicle where you have to solve paradoxical requirements and fill forms for ever and ever.

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 31, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Roger Ebert once wrote an article about how he could tell when a movie was made by cocaine addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
When does Vetra's loyalty mission become available? I read I'm supposed to get an email from her after Trail of Hope, but I just landed on Kadara and I haven't seen anything yet.

Also not sure how far I am in the critical path--feels like more than halfway, maybe? But I haven't finished a single loyalty mission and I've only put colonies on two planets. It's confusing.