Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

StalkofWheat posted:

If I donate to the maxfun drive is there anyway to get the episodes downloaded to my podcasting app of choice? I do all my podcast listening during subway rides and walks home, so I can't really do streaming.

Theres direct download links and also an RSS feed so whatever you want

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

StalkofWheat posted:

If I donate to the maxfun drive is there anyway to get the episodes downloaded to my podcasting app of choice? I do all my podcast listening during subway rides and walks home, so I can't really do streaming.

yeah man, they just give you the RSS feed for the year which has every episode since the beginning, and you do whatever just like a regular podcast.

Next year you'll get a new feed with all the old ones and all the new ones.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
For the people who haven't listened through TTAZZ yet: They're going to move away from D&D after this whole Balance arc of TAZ is done with, will likely move to something like the powered-by-the-apocalypse system since Griffin's a big fan of it from following Friends at the Table but might experiment with a bunch of different systems while they're doing their one-shot type things before settling into another big arc

Also, even when they're done with the Balance arc and the THB, live shows will still feature Taako Merle and Magnus since they work so well for the live shows and it's likely that the stuff they go towards in the future will be much less easy to adapt in that way.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Man I definitely have more sympathy for Griffin as a DM now, and I'd love to hear more of the stuff that got left on the cutting room floor. He worked it all in so loving naturally too, I never would have thought half that stuff wasn't part of the plan.

I still don't get why Magnus could remember things from after leaving for Wonderland after he got his new body though.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Man I definitely have more sympathy for Griffin as a DM now, and I'd love to hear more of the stuff that got left on the cutting room floor. He worked it all in so loving naturally too, I never would have thought half that stuff wasn't part of the plan.

I still don't get why Magnus could remember things from after leaving for Wonderland after he got his new body though.

The soul has all the memories, but the body is open to get stuff forgotten via void fish.

I desperately need for a cutting room floor edition of TTAZZ after the Balance arc is over. I wanna hear the nitty gritty of what the tres horny boys dodged.

Also hoping they land on Clint's idea for the next saga, but Griffin's sounds pretty cool too.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Psychedelicatessen posted:

The McElroy Brothers Will be in Trolls 2.

The McElroy brothers are in Trolls 2, get it right

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

flatluigi posted:

Also, even when they're done with the Balance arc and the THB, live shows will still feature Taako Merle and Magnus since they work so well for the live shows and it's likely that the stuff they go towards in the future will be much less easy to adapt in that way.
What's the likelihood we're getting live show AUs where Magnus takes the chalice or they don't pull Magnus back? It sounds like Griffin is still thirsty for those but they also sound pretty grim in a way that doesn't fit how fun and self-contained Griffin has been keeping the live shows.

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I'm really bummed the players didn't talk more about their choice with the chalice, especially considering they had just talked about trying to work within the choices Griffin offers. I imagine Travis really wanted to take the chalice but didn't think it fit with Magnus's character as someone who is defined by a moral opposition to rumination.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

flatluigi posted:

They're going to move away from D&D

gently caress yes

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

mikeycp posted:

gently caress yes

And into the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs RPG system

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Drunkboxer posted:

And into the Cadillacs and Dinosaurs RPG system

i don't know what that is, but it's not 5e so go for it i guess?

Solaris Knight
Apr 26, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT POWER RANGERS MYSTIC FORCE
I think the superhero campaign is the best potential for a lot of meta goofs about the genre and can easily be broken up into arcs and one shots perfectly, plus I don't see many superhero RPGs around.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea there's no BAD answer but I'd give a nut for TAZ Superhero Bullshit

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
TTAZZ was a good window into what drives Griffin as a DM and also good because he basically agreed with all the words I posted re: tabletop rule sets and Friends at the Table being cool and good. :angel: I have a lot of sympathy for all the work he pours into narrative and editing and hope he settles on something that lets the quality keep ramping up without an equal amount of behind the scenes work!

I was touched by the motivations Clint created for Merle. I also kind of miss Taako the idiot.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Fun new McElFacts from the Sawbones live q & a:

* Justin was indeed a good good vape boy until he became a father
* There's an Adventure Zone easter egg in Steven Universe (also Justin's favorite character is Onion; Sydnee's is Amethyst)
* Charlie sets the recording schedule for Charlie & Daddy :3:
* Sydnee once used white out and colored pencils to fake the ages on their IDs to sneak into a drag show. It totally worked.
* Justin started smoking playing Martini in One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

e: The McElroys (including Clint) all got Triforce tattoos when their mom passed away. drat, Zelda really means something to them, huh? :(

HookedOnChthonics fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Mar 31, 2017

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

HookedOnChthonics posted:

Fun new McElFacts from the Sawbones live q & a:

* Justin was indeed a good good vape boy until he became a father
* There's an Adventure Zone easter egg in Steven Universe (also Justin's favorite character is Onion; Sydnee's is Amethyst)
* Charlie sets the recording schedule for Charlie & Daddy :3:
* Sydnee once used white out and colored pencils to fake the ages on their IDs to sneak into a drag show. It totally worked.

I love how the brothers found women exactly on their same nerd level like some kinda weird Chipettes situation.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

e: The McElroys (including Clint) all got Triforce tattoos when their mom passed away. drat, Zelda really means something to them, huh? :(

I think the boys all have one piece filled in each, while dad has all three pieces filled in.

Edit: https://www.engadget.com/2007/04/22/the-zelda-tattoos-or-an-ink-to-the-past/

Here's an article Justin wrote about it

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 31, 2017

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Taken the plunge with TAZ. Could people lemme know how many episodes it stays sort of slow and awkward as they learn the rules for, so I know how long to be patient for? (I don't plan on skipping anything, although I probably won't watch the bonus episodes until I'm caught up with the regular ones)

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Whaaat, where/when/what is this easter egg??

Serf
May 5, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

Taken the plunge with TAZ. Could people lemme know how many episodes it stays sort of slow and awkward as they learn the rules for, so I know how long to be patient for? (I don't plan on skipping anything, although I probably won't watch the bonus episodes until I'm caught up with the regular ones)

They really hit their stride once Gerblins is over, imo. As Griffin gets away from the pre-written material and starts making his own stuff up and learning what to edit out and what to keep things get very good very fast.

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.

thexerox123 posted:

There's a place in the background labeled "Zone of Adventure" IIRC.

Seconding :3: at Charlie being the one that sets the schedule for Charlie and Daddy. And that she believes computers are podcast-making devices only.l

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Google "taz Steven Universe", the screenshot was posted here ages ago. It's a background arcade machine.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Escobarbarian posted:

It gets better/funnier by the third ep, but the overarching plot doesn't start until episode 6, up to that point it's just Griffin running the dnd starter set campaign. Here there be gerblins isn't bad, though, and it has one of my favorite goofs in the whole series.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If you're not on board by the time the group hits the jizz caves and keeps setting off the poison mushroom spores I'm not sure you're going to like the podcast. After that is Klaarg and Magic Brian which is gold. And not long after that Taako finds the skeleton with the umbrastaff which is one of the earliest hints to the back story Griffin created.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I feel like the funny kind of takes a backseat as Griffin gets more and more invested in the world he's created, so it's actually possible you could come out the other end liking it less the further you get.

Undead Hippo
Jun 2, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

Skip the first arc and Lunar Interlude, head straight to "Murder on the Rockport Express". Rockport Express and Pedals to the Metal are probably the two most independently good arcs the show has done, and you really don't need anything from the previous arcs to enjoy them. If you don't like the show after those two arcs, it probably isn't for you. If you're still interested then I'd circle back to the beginning after that, because there are some really good moments.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Never skip anything, eat your vegetables.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm still enjoying the first arc, just finding it somewhat slow. Thanks for all the responses :) the backstory and the apparent amazing recent reveal Film Crit Hulk harped on about are the main reasons I'm checking it out, so I'm excited to get into Griffin's original stuff.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Undead Hippo posted:

Skip the first arc and Lunar Interlude, head straight to "Murder on the Rockport Express". Rockport Express and Pedals to the Metal are probably the two most independently good arcs the show has done, and you really don't need anything from the previous arcs to enjoy them. If you don't like the show after those two arcs, it probably isn't for you. If you're still interested then I'd circle back to the beginning after that, because there are some really good moments.

This? This is bad advice.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real

Crocoswine posted:

I feel like the funny kind of takes a backseat as Griffin gets more and more invested in the world he's created, so it's actually possible you could come out the other end liking it less the further you get.

this is exactly my experience. i appreciate all the work that the boys put into it but I'm liking it less and less with each episode. i think everything up to the crystal kingdom is great and amazing but from there, I dunno, it feels like it's less a collaborative effort and more Griffin kinda railroading the boys through his narrative while allowing them small liberties.

i guess i kinda like the style of someone like Spencer Crittenden DMing more than Griffin, and despite what he said on TTAZZ, i think letting them run wild in a world with some slight nudging would be really funny and good.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

It would potentially be funny but I don't think it'd make for a good, cohesive story, which I think is more their aim at this point (for this campaign, anyway). We might see them running amok a bit more after this campaign, especially if they do more one - offs like they discussed on TTAZZ.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
The soul pull is the height of TAZ and there's no way it couldve happened without Griffin's DM style.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I can understand the criticisms of the DMing towards the end here, but I think you kind of have to account for the fact that Griffin is trying very hard to wrap this campaign up in a satisfying way. A little bit of rail roading is going to be inevitable, otherwise the narrative would probably never reach a conclusion.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Does all this mean the actual series is going to wrap up soon, or just the current storyline they're in?

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Escobarbarian posted:

Does all this mean the actual series is going to wrap up soon, or just the current storyline they're in?
Just the current campaign. Next they'll probably do some one-shots, and Clint has said he wants to run a superhero game.

Serf
May 5, 2011

They even explain in TTAZZ 2 that they work with Griffin to play within the framework of his story. It's not like this was a sandbox game or anything. In my experience most tabletop games are that sort of compromise, where the players agree to work within the framework of the story that everyone sort of agrees to, and the GM works to make sure each person feels like they're getting a fulfilling experience within that story. It's when that trust is broken that most games fall apart.

Heck, Griffin explains that he's tried to railroad them before, and it can go really awry, like with Taako's Soul Jar move at the end of the last arc.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It seems like the majority of the fans like the way it's run now, so they shouldn't change their style of play much. That said I personally think their strength is in riffing, acting like assholes in game and hastily making up character names. I zone out a bit during the "serious" story telling.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I zone out whenever Griffin goes on long monologues about how they're sorry for being racist cause they named latino characters Taako and Chalupa, even though they're not latino, or whatever. That whole thing was dumb. McElroy fans are still the worst part about being a McElroy fan.

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I got through the Crystal Kingdom but things kind of started falling apart for me with the Refuge arc. The one-on-one stuff was really, really boring.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Geez, I thought Eleventh Hour was without question the best arc of the entire series and Crystal Kingdom the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hmm... It seems as though we all like the same thing, but enjoy different aspects of it. Zounds!