Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Touchdowntim55 is untouchable. He rarely gets downvoted. And hes actually extremely handsome IRL too.

It was in response to a citizen complaining about clickbait journalists saying SQ42 was going to release etc.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Presumably the outfit that tries to scam old people by making them think the IRS is about to arrest them if they don't mail a check has IT guys.

This is why IT guys in Florida don't let other IT guys interview in Boca.

This is where we find out you're in Boca.

Edit: Some of those operations are actually out of Metro West off Haiawasse. I ended up attending one as a job interview for an IT guy for an operation that was effectively pulling people into non-existent job interviews to upsell training. I would have been handling their tracking infrastructure.

I walked out of the interview because of their _ethical_ challeneges, not the least was watching people on rented desks in a rented office asking people to pick the job they'd come for out of a laminate book. I needed a job, but I didn't need one that would end in turning up to a deserted office one day.

Hav fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 31, 2017

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC has been a full on no holds barred scam for about 2 years now.

For funny

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Foo Diddley posted:

Okay yeah maybe you would have plants growing around the inside of some barrel thing like that if you were going to spin it up to provide artificial gravity but you can tell by the way the room has a floor and a ceiling that they already have gravity covered here, so I'm wondering just what the point is

...I just spent more time thinking about this than everyone at CIG combined, didn't I

Dude, they have a 30 second Rube Goldberg missile launcher.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ripptide posted:

I don't think "Do you want fries with that?" qualifies as "fine dining".....

:negative: It wasn't fries it was munchkins!!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hav posted:

This is why IT guys in Florida don't let other IT guys interview in Boca.

This is where we find out you're in Boca.

Edit: Some of those operations are actually out of Metro West off Haiawasse. I ended up attending one as a job interview for an IT guy for an operation that was effectively pulling people into non-existent job interviews to upsell training. I would have been handling their tracking infrastructure.

I walked out of the interview because of their _ethical_ challeneges, not the least was watching people on rented desks in a rented office asking people to pick the job they'd come for out of a laminate book. I needed a job, but I didn't need one that would end in turning up to a deserted office one day.

Haha I grew up in Boca. Small scam world.

But yea my point is if:

1. You know its a scam
2. Your work helps maintain the scam.
3. Your paycheck is derived from income of said scam.

You are just as morally responsible as anyone else in said endeavor even if you are a low level dev weenie. Get a real job.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 31, 2017

necroid
May 14, 2009

well HECK Phil posted:

That's not on interns, artists, low level developers trying to make a living.

no you don't understand let me explain why these people creating assets and code are scum and are actively and personally loving every single one of the idiots who spend money on a poo poo game, never mind the fact that they're being hosed right up their asses by their employer who is the one doing the actual scamming. you can clearly see they're practically indistinguishable from telephone scammers.

they can find another job in their highly competitive field, what's the problem? their moms will pay their bills while they're begging for another job.

NOT NOW MOM I'M EXPLAINING THINGS ON THE INTERNET

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Hav posted:

Interesting philosophical question. They're only following orders, presumably.

If the job is legitimate, but the company is not, everyone gets a pass?

Interesting angle. I presume this conversation will eventually find itself drawing parellels to soldiers committing war crimes under orders. The better questions to ask is are they really a scam and if it is are the workers aware of it? This project is practically Daikatana all over again: rockstar developer, unfetted access to funds, large upstart company with little to no experience.

Can they be chided for poor decision making in working at a poor company? Absolutely. Should they be dragged through the coals because of a line of ineptitude on Chris' part?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

TrustmeImLegit posted:

SC has been a full on no holds barred scam for about 2 years now. The game will never be made but they desperately take money for it.

This whole predatory "well I can get a few years of employment off the suckers" by the 'low level devs' is reprehensible

Is it still a scam if it's only hurting the kind of high-powered mutants that are still giving him money? I mean at this point I can't believe anyone new is signing on to this shitshow, so he's really just milking the kinds of people who would spend their entire monthly budget on poo poo from the Cold Steel catalog and then accidentally wing their new naginata over their fence and potentially injure someone. I mean maybe by locking these people into a cycle of funneling all their cash into something harmless Chris is doing a public service of sorts.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

happyhippy posted:

Dude, they have a 30 second Rube Goldberg missile launcher.

Yeah... I don't know why I expected this to make sense

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Presumably the outfit that tries to scam old people by making them think the IRS is about to arrest them if they don't mail a check has IT guys.

Those IT guys are scammers too not sure why they get a pass. Its not like they don't know and they draw a paycheck from the scammed people.

Lol no one said those scammers get a pass, just that idiots making a game and predatory people are the same thing.

How much were you in for, commando?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Beet Wagon posted:

Is it still a scam if it's only hurting the kind of high-powered mutants that are still giving him money? I mean at this point I can't believe anyone new is signing on to this shitshow, so he's really just milking the kinds of people who would spend their entire monthly budget on poo poo from the Cold Steel catalog and then accidentally wing their new naginata over their fence and potentially injure someone. I mean maybe by locking these people into a cycle of funneling all their cash into something harmless Chris is doing a public service of sorts.

I see what you are saying. I don't feel particularly bad for the backers at this point but many are mentally ill and its not really a great sin to be trusting in the first place.

If I leave my front door ajar and a big wad of hundred dollar bills on the coffee table its still theft if someone walks in and takes it. Even if I was being a careless idiot.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
its still bad OP

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Here's a blast from the past for you all. Approximately one year ago today this picture was created of Ryan Archer's Cat.

(I had to have her put down on February 28th because of Kidney Disease. Next Saturday would have been her 18th birthday. RIP Snowie.)

:sympathy: Godspeed, Snowie. She's painting over watermarks with the angels now, and in heaven there's no such thing as copyright infringement

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

well HECK Phil posted:

Can they be chided for poor decision making in working at a poor company? Absolutely. Should they be dragged through the coals because of a line of ineptitude on Chris' part?

Nah, they'll get that from their resume. Director level and above are the ones that'll get watched, not the low level weenies.

necroid posted:

no you don't understand let me explain why these people creating assets and code are scum and are actively and personally loving every single one of the idiots who spend money on a poo poo game

You should learn to just relax. You slid between two wildly different points in your troll and it's not nuanced enough.

TrustmeImLegit posted:

You are just as morally responsible as anyone else in said endeavor even if you are a low level dev weenie. Get a real job.

This. I can only assume the moral absolutists that have arrived haven't actually spent any time in employment of any note. At some point they stop talking about drug use and warning you about the SEC and ethics violations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

well HECK Phil posted:

Oh, this IS GOOD.

Always love the fresh meat.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

well HECK Phil posted:

Lol no one said those scammers get a pass, just that idiots making a game and predatory people are the same thing.

0. I don't really PC game outside of WOW. I'm just here for the chaos.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

TrustmeImLegit posted:

0. I don't really PC game outside of WOW. I'm just here for the chaos.

Then I would like to drop the argument, chill, and laugh at an inept company and hilariously broke game with ya. I think we both made are argument to the fullest it can go without going in full circle.

Let's go back to laughing at this trash fire.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Ok. Lets all admire TouchdownTim55's reddit posts. He's extremely good and has a high karma level so he is not silenced. He is handsome.

well HECK Phil
Feb 25, 2010
Toilet Rascal

Hav posted:

Nah, they'll get that from their resume. Director level and above are the ones that'll get watched, not the low level weenies.

That is reassuring to hear. Yes I have no experience in the game development world. Just finished time in the military and going to school now myself, so to say I'm familiar with the nuanced culture like you mentioned is correct.

Okay, I shat posted enough up in this thread.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
LogicSol being... well... LogicSol...

necroid
May 14, 2009

Hav posted:

You should learn to just relax. You slid between two wildly different points in your troll and it's not nuanced enough.

this thread is good for the occasional laugh at SC but it's also filled with idiots that don't realize how similar they are to SC redditors in their obsession, I don't see why I can't laugh at both.

saying that artists and programmers shouldn't be targeted by spergs doesn't prevent me from stating that the thumbman is in fact scamming his backers.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
:siren: TESTERS WANTED! :siren:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Reminder, today Ben Lesnick, Chris Robert's Historian will be presenting. Last week the basketball session got about 1,000 viewers. I expect this thrilling segment to be an order of magnitude greater in viewers.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

Yes, take two hours to download a game that cripples your own house internet connection...just to login for five minutes. Makes sense.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I hope I'll remember to mention this next time Chris plugs some ISP using data caps

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I hope I'll remember to mention this next time Chris plugs some ISP using data caps

Also remember to mention when they suggested a metered VPN solution as a work-around for some CDN connection issue or another, telling people that it was “free” (and omitting to mention that the free version only covered the first 500MB of a 30GB download).

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

Average player count in Star Marine last week: 12,065

I feel very European today.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

boviscopophobic posted:

What's counted per what?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

boviscopophobic posted:

What exactly do you mean by this? Either way I don't believe it.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

:perfect:

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

I don't think you've been able to copy an account to the PTU for ages, I know I tried months ago when I wondered if there was a PTU issue council.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

necroid posted:

this thread is good for the occasional laugh at SC but it's also filled with idiots that don't realize how similar they are to SC redditors in their obsession, I don't see why I can't laugh at both.

saying that artists and programmers shouldn't be targeted by spergs doesn't prevent me from stating that the thumbman is in fact scamming his backers.

Marching Powder can neither be created nor destroyed, only change from one form to another.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
What happened to MP?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

thatguy posted:

What happened to MP?

A really dumb mod challenge.

Sorry thread mods, you guys are good but that challenge was worse than playing 10 hours of star marine a day.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

big nipples big life posted:

A really dumb mod challenge.

Sorry thread mods, you guys are good but that challenge was worse than playing 10 hours of star marine a day.

i havent even played a minute

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

I forgot the poster (sorry poster) that a month or so ago did a very good MP impersonation. Perhaps he can do another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

thatguy posted:

What exactly do you mean by this? Either way I don't believe it.

I mean that the total playtime aggregated over all players on the leaderboard was about 2149 hours, accumulated over a reporting period of about 178 hours, which works out to an average of 12,065 concurrent players using a comma decimal separator, European-style.