Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

This Humble Bundle just dropped, and it has a ton of Horus Heresy books, audio books, and other stuff!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Not pictured: My Ultramarines on their sweet display board that was literally garbage I ripped off a discarded cardboard box

Crustpunk 30k 4 lyfe

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM is pioneering Rat Rod 30k

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
SRM, please paint Rat Fink on the side of all of your vehicles.

You could even have a tank commander out of a cupola with one of those insanely long gear shifts.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Not pictured: My Ultramarines on their sweet display board that was literally garbage I ripped off a discarded cardboard box

Crustpunk 30k 4 lyfe

How was the event? My experience with 30k has been that it skews older and much more mellow than 40k, and I'd hope that a big con like this would be more about having a good time than crushing dreams with your edgelord army

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This table is basically 'stalemate .jpg"

A friendly militia army:

A friendly admech army:

"I hope nobody brings a Typhon"

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

A friendly militia army:

It's crazy that this is one troops choice.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

This table is basically 'stalemate .jpg"

I think this was some club just showing off pretty models and not actually playing.

tallkidwithglasses posted:

How was the event? My experience with 30k has been that it skews older and much more mellow than 40k, and I'd hope that a big con like this would be more about having a good time than crushing dreams with your edgelord army

I played in the 30k Friendly, and it was not as friendly as it should have been. I brought a not great Ultramarines list just made of things I thought looked cool. The first game was against a dude with a super friendly Alpha Legion list that came in piecemeal and I tabled on turn 6. Second game was against an Emperor's Children army with some quad mortars, Thallax dudes, some crazy assassin lady, a Falchion, Spartan with Palatine Blades and Eidolon in it, plus some vets in Rhinos. I played a hell of a game against him and almost eked out a tie, but he drove his Spartan onto one of my objectives and denied it. It felt good playing an uphill battle and almost coming out on top, and he was a super friendly dude. Last game was against a gorgeous Sons of Horus army and the dude was a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat. He started the game by complaining that he'd only gotten two minor victories so far and no major victories, and proceeded to just about table me by turn 3. He had Horus and Justaerin Terminators in a Spartan, a Scorpius, a Sicaran, outflanking plasma vets in Rhinos, and a Master of Signals attached to 3 quad mortars. I knew I'd lost the game before it even started because he brought a way harder list than me, but after the game I asked him if there was anything I could have done to actually compete with him. His short answer was to buy a new army, he told me half the units in my army were poo poo, and gave me his list so I could see what a good list looked like. He gave me best sportsman for taking it on the chin. gently caress that guy.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

SRM posted:

Last game was against a gorgeous Sons of Horus army and the dude was a passive-aggressive rear end in a top hat. He started the game by complaining that he'd only gotten two minor victories so far and no major victories, and proceeded to just about table me by turn 3. He had Horus and Justaerin Terminators in a Spartan, a Scorpius, a Sicaran, outflanking plasma vets in Rhinos, and a Master of Signals attached to 3 quad mortars. I knew I'd lost the game before it even started because he brought a way harder list than me, but after the game I asked him if there was anything I could have done to actually compete with him. His short answer was to buy a new army, he told me half the units in my army were poo poo, and gave me his list so I could see what a good list looked like. He gave me best sportsman for taking it on the chin. gently caress that guy.

Holy poo poo I didn't know panascope was at adepticon.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

SRM posted:

His short answer was to buy a new army, he told me half the units in my army were poo poo, and gave me his list so I could see what a good list looked like. He gave me best sportsman for taking it on the chin. gently caress that guy.

Jesus Christ.

I am actually considering going to NoVA next time, but I have always wanted to check out Adepticon. I really want to start going to more events and playing 30k or Blood Bowl with cool strangers seems like it could be a fun thing.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
FWIW the 30k Narrative looked like people were having a good time.

Oh also some dude in the 30k Friendly was passed out in his own vomit at 3pm on a Friday. He was stretchered out. His opponent won best sportsmanship for putting up with that and calling emergency services.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
gently caress man, sorry you played panascope. I can't stand him either.

Honestly that's what I expected from a big event like adepticon. Bummer you get people like that even in friendly games. Did he take phosphex mortars? Also what was the assassin lady in your second game? I know in the australian league assassins are a thing, but I wasn't aware it was an official option for everybody.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Please I'm not passive aggressive, I'm aggressive-aggressive.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Although thanks for saying my Sons of Horus are beautiful c:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My first forgeworld order arrived. Now I am doomed.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

BULBASAUR posted:

gently caress man, sorry you played panascope. I can't stand him either.

Honestly that's what I expected from a big event like adepticon. Bummer you get people like that even in friendly games. Did he take phosphex mortars? Also what was the assassin lady in your second game? I know in the australian league assassins are a thing, but I wasn't aware it was an official option for everybody.

She was some Admech thing, he was using a counts-as model from some other range. He didn't take phosphex, but he did take the Master of Signals so he could give their shatter shells BS5. The only move I made to actively mitigate his army was making sure my vehicles were out of their range. Dude also got incredulous if I asked him about any rules whatsoever. Playing against Ghosthand the next day washed the taste of that lovely lovely game out of my mouth though.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

chutche2 posted:

My first forgeworld order arrived. Now I am doomed.

One of us! One of us! Gooble gobble! Gooble gobble!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord

panascope posted:

It's crazy that this is one troops choice.

Oh hey that's a good mate of mines army! Scott travelled from Australia with that Squat Militia force he has been working on for a bit now. He is one of the best dudes to play 30k with and a massive hobbiest. His armies are always massively converted fluffy labours of love and his zone mortalis boards are to die for.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Jesus Christ.

I am actually considering going to NoVA next time, but I have always wanted to check out Adepticon. I really want to start going to more events and playing 30k or Blood Bowl with cool strangers seems like it could be a fun thing.

Everyone should go to NOVA and we can have a ham fest. I'll host; I live like 15 minutes from it. Also, NOVA is just a good time in general.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Broken Record Talk posted:

Everyone should go to NOVA and we can have a ham fest. I'll host; I live like 15 minutes from it. Also, NOVA is just a good time in general.

The 40k Narrative track is loving killer. That's my favorite gaming event of the year.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

I am down to slam some ham.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
We could eat ham while ham slamming.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
My desire to have ogryns in an assault transport have led me to make this dark compliance list. The list is bad but it gives me ogryns in an assault transport and also hilarious amounts of S4 lasgun and rotor cannon fire to drown marines in armor saves. This is a far-off distant future purchase which will be invalidated by 8th edition almost certainly. I know that for roughly the same points I could have 10 Justaerins with power fists with better saves, better WS, they hit harder with power fists than ogryns do with axes, and they have guns. But I want ogryns, and ogryns do have some advantages in the sheer number of attacks they get. The 5 power axe ogryns are getting 6 power axe attacks on the charge each because of rage, which is the same as the power fist output of the full justarian unit. The others are getting 5 S5 attacks, plus everyone has hammer of wrath. I've also got a few more wounds than 10 justarians and it takes S10 instead of S8 to instant death, but worse saves.

3000 points, Sons of Horus Dark Compliance

(I didn't want them to be death guard plague zombies, and the +1 BS to shooting sounded neat)

HQ: Praetor with artificer armor, iron halo, bolt pistol, paragon blade, vokite charger, digital lasers, jump pack, melta bomb
5x jump pack command squad. 3 power fists, 2 power swords, 4 volkite chargers.

Force Commander with carapace armor, power fist, bolt pistol, cyber-familiar, alchem-jackers, survivors of a dark age. He can take up the 25th slot in the spartan with the ogryns.

Elites:
8x ogryns with frenzon. 5 power axes and 3 boarding shields.

Marksman veteran tactical squad, 9 models, all with combi-meltas (thought it might help with my AT issues a bit, and they're BS5 meltas so more reliable. Melta isn't the best AT option but it's something.)
Sgt has artificer armor and a power fist plus his combi-melta
Rhino with a multimelta

Apothecarion detachment. One with a jump pack and volkite charger on the command squad. Other with artificer armor and a combi-melta in the vet squad. Figured if I'm getting one for the HQ I may as well get one for the vets too.

Imperial Auxillia Medicae detachment, 1 medic in each troops unit

Troops:
20 grenadiers with 2 rotor cannons, advanced weapons, lasrifles
20 grenadiers with 2 rotor cannons, advanced weapons, lasrifles
5x fire support squad with missile launchers (mainly because I happen to have 5 missile launcher teams left over I never managed to sell on ebay)

Heavy support:
Deredeo with missile launcher
Spartan with pintle multimelta, TL heavy flamer, armored ceramite, flare shield, quad lascannons
Leman russ squadron, 2 vanilla russes with hull multilasers

Those grenadiers are 40 dudes with 3+ saves and 5+ FNP with up to 88 S4 shots a turn. That's going to do something to marines. And my HQ and vets can take cover behind them if convenient. I know rotor cannons are bad but S4 ones are a little better and more importantly they look amazing.

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 31, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

We could eat ham while ham slamming.

:gizz:

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Hmm. How would you model militia ogryns?

Bullgryns work as a great base for carapace armor. The bullgryn maul + slab shield works great as ones with CCW + boarding shield.

Really my problem is outfitting the dudes with a power axe + CCW. I could use terminator power axes in the right hand and bullgryn mauls in the left, but what kit can I use to get ogryn sized left arms for holding a ccw? Something in the fantasy range maybe? Though I could use the ogryn buckler shields as a CCW maybe

chutche2 fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Mar 31, 2017

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

chutche2 posted:

Hmm. How would you model militia ogryns?

Bullgryns work as a great base for carapace armor. The dudes with just a CCW + shield are just straight up bullgryns.

Really my problem is outfitting the dudes with a power axe + CCW. I could use terminator power axes in the right hand and bullgryn mauls in the left, but what kit can I use to get ogryn sized left arms for holding a ccw? Something in the fantasy range maybe?

The fantasy ogres stuff would work, especially because a bunch of feral world Ogryn conscripts aren't going to be giving cool bespoke gear. Just shovel your boys into the grinder.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The fantasy ogres stuff would work, especially because a bunch of feral world Ogryn conscripts aren't going to be giving cool bespoke gear. Just shovel your boys into the grinder.

These are high-tech 3+ save ogryn monsters spilling out of a spartan with power axes and pumped to the gills with frenzon, not random feral world ogryn.

I don't know why the sons of horus are letting them into their spartan, or even how they tricked them into it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

chutche2 posted:

These are high-tech 3+ save ogryn monsters spilling out of a spartan with power axes and pumped to the gills with frenzon, not random feral world ogryn.

I don't know why the sons of horus are letting them into their spartan, or even how they tricked them into it.

I like it. I want to get some Death Korps models and do some Alchem Jackers. 30k is so amazing.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

The Bullgryn box would probably look right.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

panascope posted:

The Bullgryn box would probably look right.

Yeah, like I said these guys would be 90% bullgryn. I'd just have to figure out how to model them with two weapons. Hopefully by finding fantasy ogre bits online, I'm not buying full ogre kits for this dumb thing.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

You can always scoop up some AoS Blooddaddies and Bloodsecratrutors from the starter box for cheap and used the (helpfully) oversized weapons.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
I think that in order to do this right they would need charonite respirators for the frenzon.

But it would cost me literally hundreds of dollars to get bits for 8 bullgryns and I will never have the disposable income for that kind of conversion.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
How about the big old skaven with gun hands? I've seen some cool conversions of those.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I would do things that look cool. I am using a variety of things for mine, anyone without a gun has close combat weapon, anyone holding a gun has a ripper gun. Unless anyone is insisting on complete WYSIWYG as long as there is consistency no one should mind too much. Mine are probably a bit smaller but hopefully the 40mm base should make it obvious.

My first squad of counts-as ogryns. They are rounded up from the Gladiator pits...

E: look cool and are cheap. Frenzon dispensers could be subcutaneous...

JackMack fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Mar 31, 2017

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
New Moritat and tyrants are out. £21 and £60.

Dat serpenta tho

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Price chat.

The Moritats are £21 each. The only difference between the two are the weapons and ammo belts.

You get two complete apothecary models for £23.

Xir
Jul 31, 2007

I smell fan fiction...
Damnit ForgeWorld. I want a Moritat, but not at that price!

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
Played a game against strong opponent/human being/forums poster Ghazk last night. I decided a fun challenge would be for me to not take a praetor, vets or a RoW. In hindsight I should have taken some of these things!

Our setup:

Bike praetor hanging out with some chaos beasts, some militia with an aegis line, two laser vindicators, a volkite culverins squad, termies in a phobos and tacs in a rhino. Offscreen are breachers in a dreadclaw.

15 tacs with an apothecary and a chaplain in a spartan (A+++ would swarm again), tacs in a rhino, leviathan, jetbike squad and speeder squad with graviton and volkite. Offscreen is a forgelord with a termie squad in a Caestus.

Ghazk kicked off the game by seizing the initiative and deleting my jetbikes. Whoops! He then plopped his dreadclaw near my army and because I'm roboute gullible I ran up and punched it to death with my leviathan. Over a few turns that resulted in my leviathan getting melta bombed.

Meanwhile our armies converged on the middle. We rolled quadrant deployment and the mission where we have to get scoring units in each other's zones, so both sides made a Classic Warhammer Battle Pile in the middle:

My speeders ate poo poo and died, while Ghazks praetor and tacs rushed to reinforce his breachers.

My Spartan got punched out by terminator chainfists and the squad within poured out and swarmed the termies to death, then killed the militia squad. Over their death march across the battlefield they eventually succumbed to multiple rounds of volkite shooting.

My Caestus dumped its squad, which punched the Phobos to death as a final act of spite, but my deployment area was swarmed with alpha legionaries and we called the game at the end of turn 5.

All in all it was a good time playing against a truly stunning army, so that was cool. Notes for next time include drinking more beers and rolling less ones.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
drat son what are those chaos beasts? Me likey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Lord Twisted posted:

drat son what are those chaos beasts? Me likey

Roll on over to puppetswar.eu and look up "barghest"