Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Dreylad posted:

I got a named 2 handed axe from a Hedge Knight during a noble war battle.

I was so thrilled I forgot to loot it :negative:

My heart! :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
The auto-loot option is there for a reason, guys :v:

(I don't use it either)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So I had questions about ambitions.

I don't like my current ambition (stop the noble war) because I don't like my odds after my bad first experience with sieges. Ambitions get sprung on you kind of at random after you've done one, and sometimes none of them are things I actually want to do. Now sometimes you get the option to say "we're doing great!" and go without an ambition. But if you don't pick one, is there an option to say "yeah, I'm ready to pick an ambition now" or do you have to wait until it pops again? And if I cancel my ambition, how bad are the consequences? I understand its a morale hit because of loss of faith in my leadership? How many trips to the tavern does it take to cancel that out?

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
You'll be asked to pick another ambition within a few days to a week. It's the same timer as the downtime you get between ambitions normally.

The morale hit isn't great but if your company is vaguely happy it won't hurt you too badly.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Soup du Journey posted:

interesting. does it have an end, or can you just dick around until the end of time like in battle bros?

It's pretty linear really, your expeditions are quests, in the old sense of the word, each of them a long journey that takes a year.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Dreylad posted:

Turn on autoloot people, seriously, what is wrong with you!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I have autoloot on, I still have to click a thing though?

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Really wish it was possible to actually set a shield wall up before the 12 direwolves you've got a quest for are in melee range killing you. Lost four of my best guys, Rip.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It only just now struck me: If you get a guy with Brute who has a decent enough skill despite the -5, that's your flail guy right there.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RabidWeasel posted:

Not necessarily every level up but almost every +3 or +4 on fatigue yes and if the guy's base fatigue is bad on +2's as well.

Someone on Reddit collated some useful information on backgrounds if you're like me and find browsing data sets fun :v:

Would it completely ruin the game if, and I know I'm on a limb here, you got to see the stats before hiring someone?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Would it completely ruin the game if, and I know I'm on a limb here, you got to see the stats before hiring someone?

It would be way loving easier because you would be able to cherry pick the best recruits and the difference between a good and bad recruit is crazy, like you can have 2 guys both at level 11 with the same background and one of them can feasibly have 20 points more fatigue, melee defense and attack than the other one, due to better bases and talents.

Now I think that the game would be better if recruiting was transparent and balanced around that but I feel like it's probably not going to happen.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I have autoloot on, I still have to click a thing though?

If you try to continue without clicking loot it should move it over for you and you'll have to click continue again.

Careful though, i got really complacent, hit my loving inventory limit, some of the more expensive stuff was still on the other side.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I prefer not being able to see their stats and things before I pick hire someone, feels more real that way. Though I do wish that the super obvious things like fat and tiny, the kind of things you notice in seconds when you meet someone, were shown before you hire.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

dogstile posted:

If you try to continue without clicking loot it should move it over for you and you'll have to click continue again.

Careful though, i got really complacent, hit my loving inventory limit, some of the more expensive stuff was still on the other side.

Yeah had that last bit bite me really bad once.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

So I just annihilated an enemy group of Orc berserkers and young ones except for a single chain bearer, who I had completely surrounded by guys with shields back-upped by guys with pikes and billhooks. All of them had hit chance between 80-90 percent, all of them missed, and then the Orc used it 360 chain whip skill and one shot headshot all my guys. This game actively hates me. :negative:

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Back Hack posted:

a single chain bearer, who I had completely surrounded by guys

Oh god, I knew what was coming as soon as you said this, why would you do this! Why!?

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

GlyphGryph posted:

Oh god, I knew what was coming as soon as you said this, why would you do this! Why!?

I didn't know they could do that, he was on his leg and pretty heavily wounded from taking a couple crossbow bolts to the face, and I kept moving guys in because I thought, "Surely this brother will hit him for sure this time, no way he'll miss."

Back Hack fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 31, 2017

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Dreylad posted:

there were multiple times in the noble war where coat of plate dropped but either i forgot to loot it or my inventory was too full to grab it with take all, and i pressed leave too quickly afterwards.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Night10194 posted:

It only just now struck me: If you get a guy with Brute who has a decent enough skill despite the -5, that's your flail guy right there.

That is what I like to do, though I might make one a greataxe user since Split Man can hit head and body together for substantially more damage than a flail.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

marshmallow creep posted:

That is what I like to do, though I might make one a greataxe user since Split Man can hit head and body together for substantially more damage than a flail.

In my latest campaign, while using the two-handed woodcutter's axe for like 2 battles before turfing it like you do, I've noticed something interesting about Split Man. I think it can cause 2 morale hits in one swing.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

lol

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

instead of murdering kids, i just get my hedge knight to threaten them.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Bwahahahaha I had this one last night except it ended happily and with a morale boost for the ball fetcher guy. I wonder if the game rolls based on one of his stats or if it is just random

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

I had a guy with quick do it and he did like spin flips and poo poo on his jump down

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
If one of your guys has sure-footed then you have an option that gives you a better ending.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I like the "guy being whipped for loving a dead horse" event, because if you have a flagellant in your group, one of the options is basically "These guys know nothing about whipping! Flagellant inspects the whip and instructs them in it's proper usage so they can whip him to death in front of you"

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Mar 31, 2017

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

this game is loving great

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

This game really gets those moments of black humor in among the heroism and mud.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My butcher just cut off the non-hosed pieces of a dead horse for rations.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009
Cultist got a lot of new events in the last couple of patches it seems like. I got to resurrect a dead guy to join my team which I've never seen before.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Hammerstein posted:

I have that happen a lot. The first week, until they find their spot in the squad lineup, is the most dangerous for rookies, even when they come with a few levels and strong potential. It's kinda scary how much this is in accordance with actual war reports.

Yeah it's neat that the game works like that. You'll end up with a small core of elite veterans surrounded by a bunch of rookies who get themselves killed. I guess that's why the game recommends veteran ironman mode as the best way to play. You're supposed to take a lot of casualties, and the game has events where your veterans try to train up the rookies. You're supposed to be a bunch of random dudes and thugs not much different from bandits instead of heroic supermen. And I like how you can't see what someone's stats are until after you hire them, otherwise it would defeat the whole theme the game has going if you can just always pick the best guys. I would try to give Student and then Gifted to most of my rookies for their first perks, to give them that little extra boost to help survive that crucial first week or so.

By the end of the undead invasion, I had four elite archers, three elite melee fighters (a pair of greatswords and a sword-and-board guy), my veteran standard bearer, and the rest were rookies. My level 11+ greatsword guys were super powerful. One of them was owning dudes so hard that he crashed the game at one point when he killed a bunch of them with an AoE attack. The rookies were just cannon fodder, their sole purpose to hold a shield and distract the enemy while the veterans ripped apart the enemy flanks and rolled up their line.

Back Hack posted:

So I just annihilated an enemy group of Orc berserkers and young ones except for a single chain bearer, who I had completely surrounded by guys with shields back-upped by guys with pikes and billhooks. All of them had hit chance between 80-90 percent, all of them missed, and then the Orc used it 360 chain whip skill and one shot headshot all my guys. This game actively hates me. :negative:

lol

I fought a group of like 7-8 berserkers and a couple of young a ways back, and felt like I dodged a bullet on that one by throwing lots of nets over them. I accidentally ordered one of my guys to move while adjacent to a berserker, and it took out 99% of his health instantly. Those nets saved my rear end.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Bogarts posted:

Cultist got a lot of new events in the last couple of patches it seems like. I got to resurrect a dead guy to join my team which I've never seen before.

Does he look different? I know some characters will have little edits to their portraits, like scars, depending on background or events, and that seems like it would be a doozy.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

ditty bout my clitty posted:

My butcher just cut off the non-hosed pieces of a dead horse for rations.

This game owns, the new events are all great.

Bogarts posted:

Getting a cultist to induct your whole group seems like a smart play tbh.

I'm considering taking colossus and steel brow on my 2hand tanks and dropping some utility perks, I haven't had many nasty incidents yet but I am looking at my dudes' lovely ranged defense and looking at the stats for heavy crossbows and making frowny faces a lot. I have had a dude almost killed in a single headshot from just a regular crossbow before but somehow I've managed to convince myself that it was just a freak accident. I have this dumb urge to try and take gifted instead because my brain is screaming at me that 3% reduced chance to be hit is really meaningful, but I also have this ominous feeling that direct HP damage is going to give me some serious bad times even when I'm running with 300/300 armour everywhere, and the colossus / steel brow combo is the best way to avoid that. Anyone got some useful input on this?

Kenzie posted:

Yeah it's neat that the game works like that. You'll end up with a small core of elite veterans surrounded by a bunch of rookies who get themselves killed. I guess that's why the game recommends veteran ironman mode as the best way to play. You're supposed to take a lot of casualties, and the game has events where your veterans try to train up the rookies. You're supposed to be a bunch of random dudes and thugs not much different from bandits instead of heroic supermen. And I like how you can't see what someone's stats are until after you hire them, otherwise it would defeat the whole theme the game has going if you can just always pick the best guys. I would try to give Student and then Gifted to most of my rookies for their first perks, to give them that little extra boost to help survive that crucial first week or so.

By the end of the undead invasion, I had four elite archers, three elite melee fighters (a pair of greatswords and a sword-and-board guy), my veteran standard bearer, and the rest were rookies. My level 11+ greatsword guys were super powerful. One of them was owning dudes so hard that he crashed the game at one point when he killed a bunch of them with an AoE attack. The rookies were just cannon fodder, their sole purpose to hold a shield and distract the enemy while the veterans ripped apart the enemy flanks and rolled up their line.

I usually run with almost a whole army of greatsword tanks but when dudes get injured or I want to train someone up the replacement goes in the backline with a longaxe and the heaviest armour they can feasibly wear. It keeps them alive and makes them drat useful as well. This is one of the reasons I like not running any backliners by default, since if you do that you can run into issues where you start running out of tanks if you get a lot of injures.

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Mar 31, 2017

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Well that was loving bullshit. Got a war contract to go ambush some supply caravan. Only the war camp I have to start from is in the middle of the mountains and I have to cross those and 2 loving forests and a swamp while the caravan just has to twiddle along a short bit of road. Just killed any desire I had to play for today, ugh.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm considering taking colossus and steel brow on my 2hand tanks and dropping some utility perks, I haven't had many nasty incidents yet but I am looking at my dudes' lovely ranged defense and looking at the stats for heavy crossbows and making frowny faces a lot. I have had a dude almost killed in a single headshot from just a regular crossbow before but somehow I've managed to convince myself that it was just a freak accident. I have this dumb urge to try and take gifted instead because my brain is screaming at me that 3% reduced chance to be hit is really meaningful, but I also have this ominous feeling that direct HP damage is going to give me some serious bad times even when I'm running with 300/300 armour everywhere, and the colossus / steel brow combo is the best way to avoid that. Anyone got some useful input on this?

I usually run with almost a whole army of greatsword tanks but when dudes get injured or I want to train someone up the replacement goes in the backline with a longaxe and the heaviest armour they can feasibly wear. It keeps them alive and makes them drat useful as well. This is one of the reasons I like not running any backliners by default, since if you do that you can run into issues where you start running out of tanks if you get a lot of injures.

Personally I would rearrange your line so guys with kite shields absorb the bolts and then either use footwork or rotation to move the beefy guys in. Especially if you aren't relying on a lightweight backline, but your shieldless guys back there.

Bogarts
Mar 1, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

Does he look different? I know some characters will have little edits to their portraits, like scars, depending on background or events, and that seems like it would be a doozy.

He looks normal but had a surname and a unique description for a cultist background. The event mentioned the cultist God that is part of that overpowered unique armor event.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Roobanguy posted:

instead of murdering kids, i just get my hedge knight to threaten them.

If I had my way I'd offer the little dude a job. Kid's gonna be a drat fine standard bearer someday, for his sake he should be on a team that can save and reload reality.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's amazing to me that so many perks are so attractive. Games usually screw that up.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Similarly, there's really no dump stats in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Well maybe initiative.