Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Do you think I should buy some compression sacks for my sleeping quilt (EE Revelation) and Potomac Arrowhead UQ? They're pretty small but the bags they come in aren't compressible. Could save a bit of room?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Just compress them with your other gear / compression straps on your pack. You don't really need compression sacks since you just shove on the contents of your pack until it can close.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Stanley Goodspeed posted:

Just compress them with your other gear / compression straps on your pack. You don't really need compression sacks since you just shove on the contents of your pack until it can close.

While this does work, I personally have one (1) compression sack for my sleeping bag and I find its worth the tiny bit of weight and expense, it helps my pack be a little more organized and my stuff easier to handle.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Mar 28, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

Ah yeah, I need to get the anti-chafing stuff. Someone mentioned "butt butter", which I'll probably buy just for the name haha.

I had a pair of Moabs last me all through India, Sri Lanka and the Annapurna Circuit. Finally had to ditch them in Japan. They were wonderful. My new Moabs were a gift and aren't as good, but hey free shoes and they'll do the job.

For food I'll hang my stuff sack up on a tree with some kind of rope. I'll have odour-proof bags too for added protection. Though I read that most people can't even be bothered to hang their food most nights.

Need to get a trowel, and good call on the long handle. I actually already picked one up! Also need a small pen knife like you say. I really wanted to take a knife but I know I'll never use it and just wanted to look cool.

Liquid bandage sounds SUPER cool and I'll definitely pick that up. That head torch looks cool, I only got a super cheap one so I'll actually spring for this one. Thanks for the awesome recommendation! I've never night hiked before. I could easily with that torch. Not sure if I will though, it would be super spooky.

Do you live near the trail?

Sadly I'm about 3-4 hours away from the nearest part of the trail, so not quite. However, I was driving through the area recently and stopped by Devil's Backbone Brewery in Virginia, and they had a cool thing where you can call them and they'll pick you up from the AT and bring you to the brewery. Based on the beers I had there, I'd highly recommend it.

Man, I'm doubly jealous, you've hiked the Annapurna Circuit too? Both that and the AT are pretty much the number one and two things I want to do in life.

Night hiking is pretty great, and if the moon is out you honestly don't need a headlamp half the time. However that Black Diamond one is pretty great because it's water/dust proof, lasts forever on four AAA batteries, and the green night mode LED is absolutely killer. 90% of the time the red LED night mode on headlamps is loving useless, but the green on this one gives you fantastic contrasting illumination while still preserving the majority of your night vision. I don't even use my white anymore at night unless I'm cooking or something. Even the red on that headlamp is brighter than most others, enough to actually be marginally useful. Plus the bright mode gives you a great swath of illumination, any brighter and I feel like it causes more issues with light reflecting back (like with my fenix HL65). Plus it's not so pointlessly bright it just drains the battery in the hour.

Has anybody heard of or tried Hammock Gear's Econ Quilt Line? I wouldn't mind picking up a lighter 40 degree quilt, especially at that pricing.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
FYI, I was really into the black diamond headlamps but after about a year every single one I bought started getting major major corrosion issues if I leave the batteries in for more than a day or two.

I've actually never found a headlamp but it's lasted more than a year to a regular use, or two or three years of intermittent use. All except for the first Petzel I bought about 15 years ago. I need to use ETape to hold it shut after I change the batteries, the thing is been kicking around forever and I wish I could buy a dozen more of them

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I haven't had battery corrosion issues in anything after switching to low self discharge NIMH batteries.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

I haven't had battery corrosion issues in anything after switching to low self discharge NIMH batteries.

Interesting, I'll have to try that. Most of my batteries are Duracell pro cells that I get from work.

Is there a specific brand you prefer?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Eneloop is the standard go-to brand. I did end up looking for a charger that will charge individual batteries instead of pairs because I have several things that use 1 or 3 batteries.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

Eneloop is the standard go-to brand. I did end up looking for a charger that will charge individual batteries instead of pairs because I have several things that use 1 or 3 batteries.

Yeah, I have a set of those and some chargers sitting in an Amazon wish list forever but I've never pulled the trigger. I guess at this point they are time tested and proven enough that I might as well take the plunge. I haven't had to buy batteries in like 20 years, so it's hard to give up and actually pay for them.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

I don't know what it is that makes traditional batteries so prone to leaking compared to rechargable, but I swore off of them when they ruined my $70 flashlight/headlamp.

What is the operation like on those black diamond headlamps? My biggest pet peeve with headlamps is having to cycle through every mode just to turn it off.

My personal favorite so far has been this one: http://www.zebralight.com/H52w-AA-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_120.html one button press for full bright, one for off, hold to cycle through brightness. It can go super dim which is nice for late night pisses, but I usually accidentally flash it on full bright for a moment and kill my night vision.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Mar 28, 2017

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Alan_Shore posted:

Do you think I should buy some compression sacks for my sleeping quilt (EE Revelation) and Potomac Arrowhead UQ? They're pretty small but the bags they come in aren't compressible. Could save a bit of room?

I'd say it depends on your packing style. I started the trail with a cuben stuff sack for my quilt and used it for a while. Eventually it was easier and more effective to just shove my sleeping bag into the bottom of my pack and let all of my gear compress it. Of course, I had my pack lined with a trash compactor bag so nothing could get wet.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Yeah I don't think compression sacks are "worth it" unless you need the space. I do use a stuff sack but that's a little more because I like to keep my stuff kind of organized rather than shoving it all in however

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

CopperHound posted:

I don't know what it is that makes traditional batteries so prone to leaking compared to rechargable, but I swore off of them when they ruined my $70 flashlight/headlamp.

What is the operation like on those black diamond headlamps? My biggest pet peeve with headlamps is having to cycle through every mode just to turn it off.

My personal favorite so far has been this one: http://www.zebralight.com/H52w-AA-Headlamp-Neutral-White_p_120.html one button press for full bright, one for off, hold to cycle through brightness. It can go super dim which is nice for late night pisses, but I usually accidentally flash it on full bright for a moment and kill my night vision.

Yup, Eneloop Pros for the win. Regular NiMH batteries self discharge pretty quick, but Eneloop figured out a way to prevent that.

The button mode is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get it, it's pretty intuitive. Hold for six seconds to cycle the button lock, double click from to switch colors, hold a few seconds to switch from flood to spot, and click to cycle brightness. The lock mode is especially useful, so you don't get to the trailhead to find your light has been on since you packed it and it's virtually dead... Which has happened to me on more than one occasion.

If you like to leave your batteries in headlamps, get some energizer li-ion batteries. Crazy long life span and really high milliamp hour capacity. Also, the old old non alkaline batteries are the most likely to corrode quickly, I'd avoid those altogether. Alkaline is ok if you don't leave them in.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

CopperHound posted:

The black diamond ones are far too fancy for my taste. The nicer ones have this incredibly annoying touch activated dimming thing, so every time I try to adjust the angle of the light either dim it or blast it on full.

The best headlamp I've ever had, control-wise, were these old Phenix single AA ones. Just a single button, one brightness level, a diffuser lens cap, and like a 8h life. Sadly the body was plastic and the battery cap would crack after a year or so. To their credit, they sent me a half dozen replacement ones for free. Phenix discontinued it and replaced it with an aluminum one in the same style, but I haven't picked one up yet to try it. I can't remember the name of it, but I'll find the link and post it later.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Eneloops are the gold standard of rechargeable batteries and you can even find them at Costco now. I know a lot of photographers who use them for their flash equipment because they're more reliable than other brands and don't seem to discharge as quickly when stored as some of the other batteries do.

Lithium batteries are really nice though because they don't seem to get discharged by cold weather like other alkaline and rechargeable nimh batteries. It might be worth it just to add the cost of fresh lithium batteries for a big or important trip.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

My quilt should be really small, but the Potomac UQ is pretty heft so I might get a sack for that (I've emailed him for suggestions, here's a video to show you a flavour of what I've been watching for the past 6 months https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyosuQPQjek)

How do you pack your backpack? I'm thinking UQ at the bottom, then quilt, then clothes/first aid, food and stove near top with hammock in snake skins right at the top (in case I fancy an afternoon hang). Tarp/poncho/water/sitting pad on the outside.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I think a waterproof compression sack for down sleeping systems is a huge boon. I've had to pack wet things and having my sleeping bag be isolated was essential.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

My quilt should be really small, but the Potomac UQ is pretty heft so I might get a sack for that (I've emailed him for suggestions, here's a video to show you a flavour of what I've been watching for the past 6 months https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyosuQPQjek)

How do you pack your backpack? I'm thinking UQ at the bottom, then quilt, then clothes/first aid, food and stove near top with hammock in snake skins right at the top (in case I fancy an afternoon hang). Tarp/poncho/water/sitting pad on the outside.

There's a weight distribution science to it, but I don't 100% remember the optimal arrangement so it may be worth a Google, but...

I've got the Osprey volt 75, so your pack might be different, but in the bottom zippered compartment I've got my hammock and straps bundled together in a bag, and my snakeskinned tarp separate so I've got quick access to hang those first (tarp especially if it's raining). In the main compartment I've got my food and cooking stuff down in the center, with my top quilt and underquilt in their own laundry bag, crammed down in around the food stuffs. In the top compartment I've got a little snack pouch, and any gloves, hats, jackets, socks, etc. In my waist strap pockets I've got my headlamp, map, mini multitool, fire stuff, etc. Oh, and in the mesh pocket under the too I've got my water treatment stuff for quick access. Water bottle, sandals, etc are in the outer mesh side pockets. Once I've got my hammock hung, I loop some tech line around a tree and hang my pack right off the tree.

E: oh, and I put my first aid pouch in the top pouch. The whole idea is quick and easy access to what you need first, then dig out the qults and junk you only need once you set up camp.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Mar 29, 2017

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

After a couple of years not hiking, I've decided to start back up with the intention of taking my dog with me this time. I don't have anything crazy planned when starting out because he's never even been on a trail. I'm going to do a couple of mile loop that is right up the road at Paris Mountain State Park.

Here is what I know so far:

- Always keep my dog on a leash.

- Pick up my dog's poop.

- Bring water for my dog.

- Don't let my dog disturb any wildlife.

- Keep my dog from approaching strangers because who knows if they want to interact with a dog.

But I have some questions as well. Assuming it goes well and we become weekend day hike buddies:

- Do I need to get a decent first aid kit? If so, what dog-specific things do I need in it?

- At what point (like what distance hiked, I guess?) do I need to bring my dog food as well as water?

- How much water do I need to bring for him? He's about 80lbs. Can I calculate it based on distance hiked?

- Any other dog hiking tips?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
In more of a camping question does anyone have experience with outdoor blankets? I am looking for a waterproof blanket that can be used by a couple to sit on the ground without getting wet rear end. Other uses for a picnic, an extra blanket to keep warm while sleeping, or just a blanket you can put over your shoulders on a cold morning at camp. Also I am trying to stay under $100 (I am amazed at some of the prices).

So far I've found the Kachula Adventure Blanket.

http://www.coalatree.com/home/153/kachula-blanket-v1

REI Co-Op Outdoor Blanket

https://www.rei.com/product/827072/rei-co-op-outdoor-blanket

Any advice?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you want something good for backpacking, or more for park use? There are plenty of $25-40 options if you just search outdoor blanket or picnic blanket, but they're a bit on the heavier /bulkier side. I have a $40ish one that I love for a day at the park, car camping, or when there's a sub-2 mile hike into camp, but I'd never bring it on a real backpacking trip.

My wife used to have a fancy Pendleton one that was super nice, but we lost it :rip:

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

alnilam posted:

Do you want something good for backpacking, or more for park use? There are plenty of $25-40 options if you just search outdoor blanket or picnic blanket, but they're a bit on the heavier /bulkier side. I have a $40ish one that I love for a day at the park, car camping, or when there's a sub-2 mile hike into camp, but I'd never bring it on a real backpacking trip.

My wife used to have a fancy Pendleton one that was super nice, but we lost it :rip:

I am looking for something more for car camping (the blanket will be kept in our Outback when not in use). Still being sort of pack-able is important (like you we do camp sometimes a mile + from the car), but I'm not going to take it on an overnight hike. That $40ish one sounds right up my alley (as long as sort of water proof), you know what the name of it is?

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 29, 2017

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ehud posted:

After a couple of years not hiking, I've decided to start back up with the intention of taking my dog with me this time. I don't have anything crazy planned when starting out because he's never even been on a trail. I'm going to do a couple of mile loop that is right up the road at Paris Mountain State Park.

- Pick up my dog's poop.

- Keep my dog from approaching strangers because who knows if they want to interact with a dog.

But I have some questions as well. Assuming it goes well and we become weekend day hike buddies:

- Do I need to get a decent first aid kit? If so, what dog-specific things do I need in it?

- At what point (like what distance hiked, I guess?) do I need to bring my dog food as well as water?

- How much water do I need to bring for him? He's about 80lbs. Can I calculate it based on distance hiked?

Well good on you for actually keeping your dog leashed and picking up after him!

To answer your questions. As far as dog first aid I think you'll be fine forgoing it over just a couple of mile hike. If you really want to have your bases covered I'd bring some neosporin type ointment and a benedryll but really at that distance if anything major happens you can hike out and go to the vet.

For food, at your dogs weight again I think you'll be fine forgoing it, but that probably depends more on the time you're out and the terrain than the distance. If it's really difficult terrain and you're going to be out all day then bring some food, otherwise maybe just a couple of dog treats and you'd be set.

Water is the biggest factor out of all of your questions. I think that's going to depend on your dogs coat and the temperature where you are at. If it's really hot out be sure to bring plenty of water. I usually bring about a gallon for my dog on 3-4 hour hikes. She doesnt always drink it all, but when its real hot I pour some on her too help keep her cool. If your dog seems to be panting a lot find a shady spot and take a break. Another important thing to consider is that dogs will sweat through the pads of their feet, so make sure you dont let them walk over hot sidewalks or black paved trails for long.

The other tip would be to slow down and let your dog smell around. The hike is as much for your dog as it is for you. Expect to be a bit slower than you normally would because your dog wants to have its nose glued to the ground, at least mine does.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

My experience has generally been dogs can be tough to get interested in food while they're out and about (unless it's your food then it's all they're interested in). If it's pretty easy to just head back home after the hike and feed them there then that's probably better. If you had a long drive from where you hiked them maybe some high value food would be good to have before heading back, presuming your dog won't barf it all back up in the car.

I think if you're worried about first aid stuff just a regular human first aid kit would be find, maybe with some kind of bandage wrap if they injure a foot, but really the basic rule of first aid while hiking or backpacking is if it's serious you don't treat it outdoors you evacuate and get real help and everything you do first aid wise is to facilitate that

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Levitate posted:

My experience has generally been dogs can be tough to get interested in food while they're out and about (unless it's your food then it's all they're interested in).

I've had the same experience, so I just pack extra of my food and give some to her.

bringer
Oct 16, 2005

I'm out there Jerry and I'm LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT

Ehud posted:

- Pick up my dog's poop.

Get a small dry bag for keeping your dog's poop bags in when you're 5km from the nearest trashcan.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Also please don't just leave the poop bags on the side of the trail because you'll "totally pick it back up on your way out and throw it away"

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

nate fisher posted:

I am looking for something more for car camping (the blanket will be kept in our Outback when not in use). Still being sort of pack-able is important (like you we do camp sometimes a mile + from the car), but I'm not going to take it on an overnight hike. That $40ish one sounds right up my alley (as long as sort of water proof), you know what the name of it is?

I'll look when I get home, but you can also just google "outdoor blanket" or "picnic blanket" and look at what's out there, anything labeled as such should be waterproof enough to sit on damp ground.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
If you live in an area with porcupines, carrying needle nose pliers for your dog is a great idea.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

You guys are a wealth of information! Thanks to everyone for the advice, especially the stuff about letting my dog stop and enjoy all the smells, the water and first aid tips and the poop info. I am going to find a good dry bag for his massive turds.

I'll try to get some pics of our first adventure this weekend.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Personally I wouldn't use a dry bag to store poop in (even using a plastic bag for the actual poop). It's going to be a bacteria factory after a while and that smell will likely never go away. At the very least get something that's washable or mesh.

I usually just double bag the poops, tie the first bag in a knot which helps keep the smell down, drop it into the second bag then tie it to the bottom back of your pack. Two knots, double bagged and you shouldn't smell it at all.

I've never had an issue with bags ripping, coming undone or anything. We got back to a trailhead once and I didn't see a garbage can so rather than putting a poop bag in my car, I tied it to my tow hitch and planned to throw it away when we got to a trash can. I forgot about it and realized it was still there 2 hours later when we pulled up at home.

I guess just make sure you have good quality poop bags that are big enough for your dog's turds.

And yes on the needle nose pliers, maybe some scissors for debris in the fur, and a fine tooth comb as well for ticks and bugs. If it's hard ground with sharp rocks, keep an eye on your dog's pads so they don't split. Mushers secret is awesome to protect their pads.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I found a thing called a Turdlebag

https://mydoglikes.com/turdlebag-dog-leash-attachment-review/

It dispenses bags and has a pouch that seals shut for you to carry used dookie bags. You can clip it to your leash or bag.

Machine washable which is nice. Hopefully it will work okay.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Man, I thought I nearly had everything but now I gotta drop $300 on bits and pieces like trowel, merino wool shirt and buff, trekking poles etc. Nearly there at least.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
There is an infinite amount of good gear out there that people swear by. Try to only carry the items YOU need, it will make the hike more enjoyable.

But do get a trowel.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alan_Shore posted:

Man, I thought I nearly had everything but now I gotta drop $300 on bits and pieces like trowel, merino wool shirt and buff, trekking poles etc. Nearly there at least.

Good call on the trekking poles, those help me out a lot with balancing uphill/downhill treks.

These Costco carbon fiber poles are pretty great, I've had mine for about two years now and no problems. Loki and Black diamond also make great poles if you want to spend a few more bucks.

Make sure you get the latching lock and not the twist lock, I've had nothing but headaches with twist lock.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I recently had a latching lock pole get a little loose on me during a trip, actually caused me to fall once, and it was an easy fix to tighten it back up a little with my pocket knife's screwdriver. I definitely prefer latch lock for the field repair alone.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Good call on the trekking poles, those help me out a lot with balancing uphill/downhill treks.

These Costco carbon fiber poles are pretty great, I've had mine for about two years now and no problems. Loki and Black diamond also make great poles if you want to spend a few more bucks.

Make sure you get the latching lock and not the twist lock, I've had nothing but headaches with twist lock.

And they're actually cheaper at Costco, ($30 if I remember correctly). I love mine. I've never had any issues with them in the year I've been using them. For the price its probably one of the better hiking deals out there.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Looking at planning a trip down to Grayson Highlands (Virginia) here in the next few months. Anyone ever done that or have any route suggestions for the area?

Also, how do you guys manage trips where you don't make a loop back to your car? Eg hiking a portion of the AT or something. Do you rely on Uber, bring two cars to park at the beginning and end?

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Mar 31, 2017

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
Just got confirmation for the 2 nights I reserved at a wilderness campsite in Rocky Mountain National Park in August. I'm really excited!

Now I need to decide if I want to take the leap and give hammock camping a try. I've been researching hammocks like a fiend recently, and having some concrete plans will likely only exacerbate the situation. I'm looking at both Warbonnet and Dream Hammock.

My wife and I walked to the park yesterday, and I saw a few people had put up some camping hammocks in the trees, and I was, "oh god that looks nice. Now I gotta get one."

I'm either going the hammock route, or I'm gonna purchase a nice Thermarest pad before we go. I'm just trying to decide what's more practical for the two of us (obviously, if we get one hammock, we're gonna need two so my wife has somewhere to sleep as well).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Found a random scratch off ticket at Amicalola Falls. Didn't win. Ah well. Starting a Springer tomorrow!

And to the goon coming up behind us we're the couple from Houston. I'll probably be in a white hat. Welp, see ya later.