Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

S-Town episode 5

There's something incredibly depressing about John's suicide manifesto talking about the return of honor killings and cutting off the hands of thieves and Tyler telling a story about planning to cut a guys fingers off for taking his guns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Wow, things get really dark at the end of ep2. Goddamn.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

life is a joke posted:

e; lol this guy definitely a goon

i could listen to this guy all day

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

🤓 what do you get depressed about?

:byodood: oh mah gawwd...

e: lol now he's going on about the hedge maze he built that sounds like it's straight out of The Witness

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Just finished the first episode. I wanna drink moonshine with Jon

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

AndrewP posted:

Just finished the first episode. I wanna drink moonshine with Jon

Dude seems chill as gently caress. Obviously smart. Lemme know what you think at the end of the second episode.

vv So the McElroys are involved? Makes sense...

Wake_N_Bake fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Mar 29, 2017

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
^^^It's probably just as well they're not, since Woodstock has some major creeplords hanging around it, and this is coming from somebody who also grew up in rural Alabama. Yikes. I've never heard of this place despite my hometown being less than an hour away.

I listened to the entire show today, and there's some zigs and fuckin' zags.

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 29, 2017

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I just noticed the host of poo poo town's weird vocal inflection where he does a senseless up tone at the end of every fourth word. It's driving me bonkers.

On a darkly humorous note, the guy who got shot in the head and turned into a hype man

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 29, 2017

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Wake_N_Bake posted:

Dude seems chill as gently caress. Obviously smart. Lemme know what you think at the end of the second episode.

:saddowns:

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

Where does the wind come from that blows upon your face, that fans the pages of your book?
Man, I'm going to need a few days to mull over S-Town. I found it uncomfortable and relatable and infuriating and true and FRUSTRATING in too many ways to unpack at once. I know a bunch of fellow Alabamians who are listening to it, and I'm champing at the bit to get a mass Facebook convo going or something before I crawl out of my skin.

I know or have met every single one of these character types, and while I'm from a small town with more diversity, and -- I'd like to hope -- better racial politics than Woodstock, I sure as hell know of a few towns that have retained some really creepy, infamously backwards bullshit even to this day. I felt so terrible for this reporter a few times, but also for everybody living in S-Town who has been numbed to accepting their reality as typical, when you can drive 30 minutes in any direction and have a completely different experience. So, so frustrating, but still real. I've definitely brushed paths with some Johns. I've met some Goodson analogs as well, and there's a uniformity to their horrifying backgrounds. Ugh. I still got a kick out of Uncle Jimmy and some of the weird bits of comedy, like the tiddy ring debate.

The Big Picture style reporting at the end was a pretty elegant send-off, a unification of all the complex themes this series addressed. This kind of storytelling lives or dies based on structure and editing, and I think the team did a good job.

gently caress "KyKenKee" Kenneth and his entire family for real, though. I hope somebody snatches that land up from him ASAP.

(edit for clarity)

Crisco Kid fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Mar 30, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I wasn't ready for episode 2 of S-Town, and episode 3 was even rougher. :smith:

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wow, now I gotta listen to this.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016

Crisco Kid posted:

gently caress "KyKenKee" Kenneth and his entire family for real, though. I hope somebody snatches that land up from him ASAP.

*doesn't dispute or deny obvious KKK reference*

Wow, another offended liberal - sorry we upset you in the election.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Just finished. What a guy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

I'm only about five episodes in, but it seems to me that the grand unifying theme of Serial and its successors is the ability of ineffective institutions to harm vulnerable people. Adnan, Berghdal, and Tyler all believed that the system could save them from injustice, only for the system to make their situations worse.

Also, [EPISODE 3] Jon calling the town clerk and forcing her to listen to his suicide made me gasp. Seriously, what the gently caress?

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Mar 30, 2017

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

QuoProQuid posted:

Also, [EPISODE 3] Jon calling the town clerk and forcing her to listen to his suicide made me gasp. Seriously, what the gently caress?
Hearing the clerk recount how Jon described how the "mixture" burned his mouth his as he died was one of the most difficult things I've ever listened to.

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
S-town is incredible. I'm about to start the final episode and it makes Serial season 1 and 2 look like a big pile of stinky trash.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
drat, ya'll, should I buy gold?

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames
That last episode completely changed the context in which I saw some of these people. I empathize with The Florida Cousins more than anyone else now. I don't know who the victim is in this story though. Maybe that old lady.

Team_q
Jul 30, 2007

Just finished episode 3, gently caress.

Crisco Kid
Jan 14, 2008

I want to know more about Tyler's opera-loving grandma, and that cryptic off-the-record exchange regarding the alleged hidden gold.

life is a joke posted:

*doesn't dispute or deny obvious KKK reference*

Wow, another offended liberal - sorry we upset you in the election.

I hate him so much.

That being said, as sad as I am about John's death, part of me is glad that he didn't have to endure the 2016 election and follow-up. I'm extremely concerned about rollbacks in the EPA and climate change denial deregulation, so I can only imagine how much this administration would torture John. That his land and life's work are now owned by a pro-Trump rear end in a top hat makes it worse.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

lets hang out posted:

Only 20 minutes in and this guy is hilarious

Until they described what he looked like, I kept picturing Eugene from The Walking Dead.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
S-Town is fuckin awesome. I can't get over my idea of John as a lower-pitched Dale Baskets, though.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

S-Town was great, barreled through all the episodes in one day. Lots of fascinating and sad characters. Even though they described him, I can't not see John as Chris Cooper's character from Adaptation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I guess I should have downloaded more than just the first episode of S-Town. drat it.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I don't dislike Sarah Koenig at all but whenever I heard her voice at the very beginning of each episode I'm glad they switched it up and left her out the narration for this one.

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

That was one hell of a story, jesus.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Just finished. Beautiful and brutal, but I need some time to digest it.

Burt family can go to hell, though.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Worth it to make a separate S-Town thread?

I'm so glad I tried it on a lark, absolutely outstanding.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

teen witch posted:

Worth it to make a separate S-Town thread?
It might be. I'd imagine there are people like me that aren't really listeners of TAL but caught the S-Town preview from the Serial feed and checked it out as a result.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Mar 31, 2017

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.
Jesus christ, I did not think I was capable of listening to The Zombies with that level of unfiltered moroseness. STown deserves to be way bigger than Serial but deep down I know it's just too bleak and ambivalent to get a comparable audience. Outside a couple Memory Palace episodes, I think it's the only podcast I'm intending to relisten to at some point.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

I just noticed the host of poo poo town's weird vocal inflection where he does a senseless up tone at the end of every fourth word. It's driving me bonkers.

Every time he did it, it reminded me of Evan Susser on Doughboys.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

bad day posted:

That last episode completely changed the context in which I saw some of these people. I empathize with The Florida Cousins more than anyone else now. I don't know who the victim is in this story though. Maybe that old lady.

I was feeling that way about the Florida cousins until Rita said the mortician should have cut John's nipples off to get the titty rings.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finished S-Town. A truly excellent, affecting piece. Chapter VI especially was one of the best pieces of dramatic non-fiction radio/podcast work I've ever heard.

I'm not really disappointed, but I do think it was a little disingenuous to make almost half of the episodes (3-5) seem like they're gonna be about this feud and conspiracy and mystery behind John's estate and who's responsible for what, only to go back to being about John himself. Feels like they only did it to have a hook to keep people who were less into the personal side listening, but I personally was fine with the exploration of John's life and would have rather they hadn't leaned so hard on it. The way it ends in the final episode with Tyler telling Brian something off the record and that's it is pretty goddamn good though.

My one MAJOR issue is that it feels a little too voyeuristic. I'm not overly certain this should have been made, to be honest.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
I actually yelled out WHAT when he said "my wife, solange" in the first(?) episode haha

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha yeah i actually wiki'd solange knowles to check if she was his wife (nope)

bad day
Mar 26, 2012

by VideoGames

TL posted:

I was feeling that way about the Florida cousins until Rita said the mortician should have cut John's nipples off to get the titty rings.

She believed they were lying to her - that they were going to steal them for themselves. Think about it - you have this aunt who lives with her crazy son who put all his money in gold bars, started hanging out with sketchy rear end dudes, and when he wound up killing himself she's stuck looking after the aunt who has no money because the gold was stolen or didn't exist to begin with, and this one dude keeps breaking into the property and stealing what little poo poo still has value.

To me, in that situation, the whole thing would be a gigantic pain in the rear end I have been saddled with. So yeah if I want to keep his titty rings then the coroner should give them to me. He literally just cut the dude open and sewed him back together - and he can't get the nipple rings out? Really? My immediate reaction would be they are some redneck rear end thieves.

I dunno, I just kinda sympathize. It's harder to relate to Tyler knowing the sadomasochistic aspect of their relationship.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

:siren: probably shouldn't look at the link unless you've finished Stown! Spoilers and all. :siren:

I feel kiiinda skevy for posting this but I was curious, Tuscaloosa news posted some pictures related to Stown, including a picture of John's maze, which looks way cooler than I pictured I hope it gets to grow..

Also Tyler's headstone for John is quite beautiful :unsmith:

Of course internet detectives have already found John's house, but I won't post any of that here and I'll be happy to remove my link if anyone objects.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I don't think there's a need to hide it. You can find the maze on google maps from the coordinates he gives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

One nice thing of dumpin all the episodes at once is it likely saved the Florida cousins from tons of harassment.

• Locked thread