Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

now print fluctuator wizards do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
They're never going to reprint fluctuator but please reprint fluctuator with all these cycling 2 cards :jackbud:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

En Fuego posted:

Cycling is better/worse than Scry? I really like these!!

Cycling is just different from scrying. I'd say that the scry temples are slightly more powerful in a vacuum since they don't require extra mana to get value, but there are lots of interactions with cycling that make these new duals more powerful in the right deck.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Cool with madness, cool with Tarmogoyf

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

En Fuego posted:

Cycling is better/worse than Scry? I really like these!!

These are worse early game but much, much better late game in standard.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

dragon enthusiast posted:

Cool with madness, cool with Tarmogoyf

He's right, Goyf confirmed for Amonkhet.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo! I thought these were worse than my suggestion but then I saw the typeline and I'm excited!

Really hope we get enemy versions in the next set though, we still didn't get enemy bofas :(

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there anything in standard that makes the typing relevant?

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011
I think fetching a cycle-dual and crop rotating it or wastelanding yourself could potentially be a thing in legacy lands

Crazy synergies aside, you can probably also get away with throwing one or two of these into slow/higher land count modern decks.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there anything in standard that makes the typing relevant?
Shadows duals, a cycle of rare creatures with Landfall from BFZ, and Nightmare.

Edit: And Engulf the Shore.

Siivola fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Mar 31, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Sickening posted:

They can even be fetched. Good cards.

These are really loving good

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

The art is gorgeous on all five of these, too. One of the best-looking dual cycles in recent memory.

Really, all of the art for this set so far looks pretty great, the invocations notwithstanding. Hopefully those things are just an anomaly and everything else looks great.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

this might make life from the loam a real card in modern

hell, I can see one of the slower decks, UWR control or something, run a couple just for value

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

Sickening posted:

They can even be fetched. Good cards.

They should come into play untapped. 0/10, pass, dumbest set in the last 5 years

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I wish these were uncommon because they'd make limited decks a lot smoother. They're good though!

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Holy poo poo that's some good card.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
Bicycle lands own bones.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
The cycling duals are almost good enough to make me not sad they also just confirmed no Slide or Rift :(

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
I like how the GW dual's art - especially the sky/clouds - looks like an actual painting.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Attorney at Funk posted:

The cycling duals are almost good enough to make me not sad they also just confirmed no Slide or Rift :(

They don't do symmetrical effects like that anymore. I wouldn't be surprised to see similar cards in this block that only trigger off your own cycling.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Attorney at Funk posted:

At this point, I'm hoping they just compensate by giving us some other neat little enchantment that reacts to cycling. It'll be far inferior obviously, but it would still be nice to not have all of our dreams crushed as usual.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
These are the first typed duals that can't come into play untapped at all, right?

They're interesting because the cycling is not particularly complimentary with typing, per se. You've got different reasons to fetch basics, shocks, and tangos; given those choices you would never want to be looking for a cycler. So these just give you a consolation for drawing into them.

What's the modern niche, here?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Eikre posted:

These are the first typed duals that can't come into play untapped at all, right?

They're interesting because the cycling is not particularly complimentary with typing, per se. You've got different reasons to fetch basics, shocks, and tangos; given those choices you would never want to be looking for a cycler. So these just give you a consolation for drawing into them.

It's maximum valuetown with Loam. It may be a bit slow but we'll see how that shakes up.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Eikre posted:

Play life from the loam, draw cards

This was a real deck in old extended and is a synergy that still sees play in legacy.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Eikre posted:

Loam

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Eikre posted:

I could see running one shock and one bicycle land (I love that name) for one or more of your color combinations, when you don't have double color costs but you sometimes want to play two spells of that color in a turn. Maybe one copy of the UB one ends up in Grixis for example. It's definitely going to take some fiddling to see how they fit into modern mana bases, but I would bet that they do have a place.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Attorney at Funk posted:

Slide owns and the good ETB creatures of recent Magic makes me wish it was Modern-legal, it could be very powerful but maybe it would be obnoxious.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's worth noting you pay 100% more mana to cycle with these so it has the potential to be very different than the Loam deck in legacy, but it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

BJPaskoff posted:

I wish these were uncommon because they'd make limited decks a lot smoother. They're good though!

I had the same thought. They feel like uncommons.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

WIZARDS HQ

Maro: People are really upset at our terrible invocations, approval ratings are at an all time low!

Forsythe: *narrows eyes* Release the duals.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

mcmagic posted:

I had the same thought. They feel like uncommons.

I don't think duals have to be able to enter untapped to "feel" rare.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

People said the same thing about the scrylands.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

whydirt posted:

People said the same thing about the scrylands.

The srcylands were great. I don't think these are quite as good. But who knows.I think Cycling as a mechanic is awesome.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's worth noting you pay 100% more mana to cycle with these so it has the potential to be very different than the Loam deck in legacy, but it'll be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

There were also 2 mana cost cycle lands back in Urza block. Did those get played at all?

Obviously not relevant for the modern/legacy thing but it's worth wondering.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Attorney at Funk posted:

I don't think duals have to be able to enter untapped to "feel" rare.

I think giving them basic land types also automatically makes them rare, at least by NWO standards or whatever. I know they've done typed non-basics at uncommon in the past but it's very infrequent, I can only recall the Mistveil Plains cycle in SHM.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

mcmagic posted:

The srcylands were great. I don't think these are quite as good. But who knows.I think Cycling as a mechanic is awesome.

In conclusion, cycling duals are lands of contrast.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

There were also 2 mana cost cycle lands back in Urza block. Did those get played at all?

Obviously not relevant for the modern/legacy thing but it's worth wondering.

By the time Life from the Loam came out they were no longer extended legal (or just about to leave, I don't remember which) and the ons ones had been out for like 4 years.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
These new duals are cool and good, hopefully they fix the Cat/Vehicles problem with standard through bans or with the release of this set. I'd like to play some Grixis again.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

80s James Hetfield posted:

They should come into play untapped. 0/10, pass, dumbest set in the last 5 years

is there someone on MTGS that really thinks alpha dual lands with cycling is a thing that could ever happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

They're definitely worse than the temples in a lot of situations, since temples don't cost you any mana and you still get the land drop. But "draw a card" is a way more powerful line of text than 'Scry 1' that I think it's going to be down to the shape of the format rather than a direct power level comparison.

I think the main thing working against the cycling duals that the temples didn't have is there's a lot more untapped mana fixing in this Standard - Temples only had to share a Standard with shocks and then fetches, whereas the untapped land options are a lot better now between fastlands, 5-color lands, and the finicky BFZ and SOI duals.

• Locked thread