Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

edit: Sep 4th was when it started. Not sure how to link to specific posts.

You just quote it and the user name will be a link to the original post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

There had better be a gigantic bird and gigantic 20 foot tall shark fin in this.

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.
Chiming in to say that I'm more excited for It than I am for The Dark Tower. The latest info I read about the Dark Tower made it sound more like a goofy action movie, so my enthusiasm has been damped a bit. That trailer, though, looks amazing.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Leavemywife posted:

Something that just occurred to me was the decision to set it in the 80s is a nice touch, brings some modernization to the story, but could the success of Stranger Things have helped influence that? Was that the plan before ST premiered?

if they're going to do two films, then it's also cheaper to do just one period piece rather than two

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

USMC_Karl posted:

Chiming in to say that I'm more excited for It than I am for The Dark Tower. The latest info I read about the Dark Tower made it sound more like a goofy action movie, so my enthusiasm has been damped a bit. That trailer, though, looks amazing.

The fact that it's a followup instead of a straight on adaptation makes me way more interested than I would be. Plus, I mean, Stringer fuckin Bell. "I am Roland, son of Stephen, and you are bringing me way too many 40 degree goddamn days, now what the gently caress"

My favorite part thus far is watching how salty some nerds are over a black Roland. "BUT HIS RACE IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE PLOT, SOMEHOW!"

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

IT trailer looks so good. So damned good. Make with the Dark Tower trailer, Sony!

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

The fact that it's a followup instead of a straight on adaptation makes me way more interested than I would be. Plus, I mean, Stringer fuckin Bell. "I am Roland, son of Stephen, and you are bringing me way too many 40 degree goddamn days, now what the gently caress"

My favorite part thus far is watching how salty some nerds are over a black Roland. "BUT HIS RACE IS VERY IMPORTANT TO THE PLOT, SOMEHOW!"

Oh for sure, I'm definitely holding out hope and am way excited to see Idris as Roland. The uproar over him being cast as Roland was drat funny. To be honest, I can easily see Idris being Roland cause he has that quiet charisma that I always pictured Roland as having.

This article, while pretty poorly written, kind of damped my enthusiasm just a smidge.

quote:

Now we kick into a montage. Lots of action here, most of which involves lots of Roland shooting his guns, which, at one point, have sections that are glowing blue. He loads the guns incredibly, incredibly quickly and his belt is lined with magazines of bullets. We see Roland jumping through the air shooting. Next, he shows down in a hallway with the Man in Black. Roland shoots glass above him, but the Man in Black stops it and shoots it at Roland. Roland then runs and slides on his knees under it the glass.

I mean, action is definitely a part of The Gunslinger, but I never really saw Roland as some kind of superman that has magical guns. He was just, well, basically like a navy seal cowboy (or whatever special forces suits your fancy). Like, he could do some pretty nutty stuff, but for some reason that paragraph just kind of turned me off a bit.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Well, his guns are forged from Excalibur. So they're pretty implicity magical, even if it's never outright shown.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
im a lil disappointed at the description of flagg having generic psychic powers in that blurb

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

scary ghost dog posted:

generic psychic powers

New Stephen King Novel Title Leaked Online

The Car (movie) comes out 1977
Christine (King novel) comes out 1983

Link? Thoughts? Lawsuit?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
FYI, somebody started a dedicated IT thread in CD.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815219

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I love King's sense of humor. :)

https://twitter.com/joe_hill/status/847449577921896448/photo/1

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Pretty much everything about that made me laugh, including the fold lines.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

There's a lot of good adaptations, though? Like, for years and years the bad ones were still only middling, minus outliers like Maximum Overdrive and Cell. A lot of people enjoyed the new Carrie (though I didn't bother).

New carrie was bad but the old one was pretty good from what I remember although neither are as good as the book. A lot of the SK adaptation kinda miss the point that his books are about normal people dealing with real lovely problems with some supernatural aspects but the movies always tend to focus on the flashy supernatural elements.

I am really happy for the new IT and Dark Tower. Dark Tower has some great actors like Idris Elba and Mcconaughey. The IT director atleast has previously directored a horror movie Mama. I mean the ending was bs but it had some scares in it hopefully with King writing the screenplay this one is better.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Ulio posted:

I mean the ending was bs but it had some scares in it hopefully with King writing the screenplay this one is better.

There were a couple of things about the book IT that I didn't like and one was the ending being a boss fight with a giant spider. Remember when King wrote endings as punchy as Pet Semetary? Actually, when King is writing novellas and short stories he is still good at endings. Kind of excited for the new movie of IT. Is it right that it's in two parts?

Tommyknockers audio book is back up on YouTube. Recommended listening, if you have a spare 24 hours. Tommyknockers is really fun. It actually has a fair bit of logic behind it - I guess that most people who take against it object to the whacky sci-fi elements. But that is actually important to the plot. One of Gard's most pressing reasons for helping with the dig is because he sees Bobbi's revolutionary sci-fi powered devices and sees a way to free the world from nuclear and fossil fuels, which is his hobbyhorse but also an economic system he finds oppressive. The motivations and character interactions are plausible enough and you do feel that King doesn't allow his usual deus ex machina to sort everything out. You feel the stories of the cops and press untangling the story of Haven really adds to the tension and excitement.

Tommyknockers contains a few self-contained episodes (Becka Paulson, Hilly's magic trick, the female sheriff's death, Bobbi's sister) which are really pleasing in themselves. I really can't see the appeal of UTD compared to Tommyknockers. Even little things like the characterisation of Pete, Bobbi's dog, is low-key, heartfelt and funny and that sort of stuff is what I miss from UTD.

Oh, I heard there was some Dr Sleep praising going on while I was away. The word is in: it is a bad sequel and a bad novel. :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
It was a space spider and they fought it with their minds. And the help of the turtle of enormous girth.

It wasn't as physical as the TV version where Bev just hits it with the slingshot.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Bobbi's sister is one of the few fictional characters I've ever honestly loathed.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

There were a couple of things about the book IT that I didn't like and one was the ending being a boss fight with a giant spider. Remember when King wrote endings as punchy as Pet Semetary? Actually, when King is writing novellas and short stories he is still good at endings. Kind of excited for the new movie of IT. Is it right that it's in two parts?

Yes I think at this point everyone knows that King can be hit or miss with endings and for me he has been miss more often but I am still a huge fan of his work. I mean its kinda a testament to his stories that even if the endings aren't the best you still end up liking the novel as a whole.

I think for some people the ending is really important but I am more of a person who is about the journey than the end.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Ending of Pet Sematary is very, very good, probably not fair to compare to most of his stuff, really.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

King has said he hates writing endings and that's why lots of them suck.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Soul Glo posted:

Ending of Pet Sematary is very, very good, probably not fair to compare to most of his stuff, really.

Without spoiling too much, is it basically the ending to the movie?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Rolo posted:

Honestly, I bought that movie after finishing the book, and I turned it off halfway through because it was so loving terrible and Munster's accent was unbearable.

So I don't know.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Soul Glo posted:

Honestly, I bought that movie after finishing the book, and I turned it off halfway through because it was so loving terrible and Munster's accent was unbearable.

So I don't know.

It's funny, I loved Kubrick's version of The Shining until I read the novel. Now I can't watch the movie, they botched Jack Torrence so bad and Mr. Halloran ended up ruling so hard in the book I hated seeing him portrayed as such a useless character in the film.

Come to think of it, everyone except Lloyd sucked in the movie.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Ritual of Chud owns, sorry nerds

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I can't remember if I saw The Shining's movie before I read the book, but I still enjoyed (and still do) the movie all the same. It's certainly different in some very crucial ways, but it's an excellent movie divorced from the source material. The cinematography alone is worth spending time with it, regardless of just how different the characters and, to an extent, the themes are.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
The Mist was a pretty good and faithful adaptation. The monster at the end wasn't nearly huge enough though

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i thought it was sufficiently huge

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
please don't troll this thread

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rolo posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, though at the time I was having great difficulty concentrating on anything. Reading was especially impossible, so that's probably why I found it so tough to get through.

But the last act I powered through when my concentration returned and it's some of the best writing King has done for the sheer horror of what was happening. If you're not inclined to read the whole book, I'd even check out the last act. It's tremendous.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Leavemywife posted:

Bobbi's sister is one of the few fictional characters I've ever honestly loathed.

Never read any Jonathan Franzen novels eh?

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, though at the time I was having great difficulty concentrating on anything. Reading was especially impossible, so that's probably why I found it so tough to get through.

But the last act I powered through when my concentration returned and it's some of the best writing King has done for the sheer horror of what was happening. If you're not inclined to read the whole book, I'd even check out the last act. It's tremendous.

Say no more, I'll add it to the list.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

WattsvilleBlues posted:

I was sufficiently creeped out at the jogger's death scene

Still haven't finished it but if it can top that holy poo poo.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Rolo posted:

Without the kissyface and stab-stab yes.

I have a one year old. Pet Sematary is the greatest book I'm never, ever going to read again.

Feb 2, 2016

by R. Guyovich

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

I have a one year old. Pet Sematary is the greatest book I'm never, ever going to read again.

I hear that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Pet Semetary is great because it's pretty much a sequel to The Shining. Instead of the addiction on the surface manifested in Jack's alcoholism and anger issues, Pet Semetary concentrates on destroying the nuclear family in the tradition of The American Dream and the addiction is manifested as bringing creatures back to life and trying to tell God to gently caress off in your grief. In The Shining, Jack's just an alcoholic because his dad's an alcoholic. In Pet Semetary, Louis turns to addiction as a solution to his dissillusionment with his family life, career, and then eventually his grief.

Pet Semetary is incredibly tightly written for being close to 600 pages. Every section ties into a theme of Addiction, Grief, Death and/or how it compromises The Traditional American Dream

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Franchescanado posted:

Pet Semetary is great because it's pretty much a sequel to The Shining. Instead of the addiction on the surface manifested in Jack's alcoholism and anger issues, Pet Semetary concentrates on destroying the nuclear family in the tradition of The American Dream and the addiction is manifested as bringing creatures back to life and trying to tell God to gently caress off in your grief. In The Shining, Jack's just an alcoholic because his dad's an alcoholic. In Pet Semetary, Louis turns to addiction as a solution to his dissillusionment with his family life, career, and then eventually his grief.

Pet Semetary is incredibly tightly written for being close to 600 pages. Every section ties into a theme of Addiction, Grief, Death and/or how it compromises The Traditional American Dream

It's telling that both King and his wife hate PET SEMETARY. I think it's because it strips back some very dark, but perfectly natural things, about marriage and being unfulfilled. I mean, even from the start, Louis is just kind of a loser.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

DrVenkman posted:

It's telling that both King and his wife hate PET SEMETARY. I think it's because it strips back some very dark, but perfectly natural things, about marriage and being unfulfilled. I mean, even from the start, Louis is just kind of a loser.

Totally.

The first scene is Louis fantasizing about leaving his family multiple times, because they're annoying, they're loud, he's stuck in a car ride with them, etc. while simultaneously thinking about Disney World, a motif that's repeated often.

I think a great unspoken aspect of Louis is his inner conflict of getting what he subconsciously wanted. He was tired of his family, they're constantly a nuisance to him: his in-laws hate him, his wife has a traumatic past she's not dealing with, his children are wild, he has a lovely cat, he has a lovely job in a place he doesn't really like, all because he's stuck in this paternal role.

And then he gets this unspoken dreadful wish fulfilled in the death of his son. His wife now has to deal with her trauma, his in-laws grow to respect him, his children aren't annoying anymore...But then the dark side of the wish fulfillment happens.

He's sad because of the reality of Gage's death, but he also asked for it for three hundred pages before it happened.

Which is terrible, but how many parents make jokes about wishing their kids were gone? Seems like a healthy but morbid non-joke until it actually happens. Then it's an all-consuming guilt monster.

I don't have kids.

Owlkill
Jul 1, 2009
H

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Oh god is Zelda in the book? I had managed to repress my memories of her until now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rolo posted:

Oh god is Zelda in the book? I had managed to repress my memories of her until now.

Understanding that dynamic a whole lot better the way prose can do was worse than seeing her in the movie.