Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

lets hang out posted:

Don't worry the best games will naturally rise to the top :cheerdoge:

The Trickle Up Effect!

For you specifically: I turned on a random twitch stream and I don't care about spoilers normally but RW is entirely all about discovery and the streamer was in a place with shifting gravity so I think I need to stop so I can experience some of the cooler surprises (if I don't get frustrated with the legitimately bad mechanics first)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

a kitten posted:

No anime there.

I was 10 when Chrono Trigger came out. I used to love jrpgs and as a child I watched a lot of anime, but I no longer have any tolerance for it. Besides, Chrono Trigger is pretty inoffensive in its animeness

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

hmm what a shock, anime haters actually love anime

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Please no

Not again

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Please no

Not again

This

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

fridge corn posted:

I was 10 when Chrono Trigger came out. I used to love jrpgs and as a child I watched a lot of anime, but I no longer have any tolerance for it. Besides, Chrono Trigger is pretty inoffensive in its animeness

So what you're saying is... "It was one of the good ones."

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Apparently the reason I never got the trophy for beating Celceta way back was because I couldn't be bothered to walk up a volcano after beating the final boss and watching a cutscene. Incredible! But now I did it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

Apparently the reason I never got the trophy for beating Celceta way back was because I couldn't be bothered to walk up a volcano after beating the final boss and watching a cutscene. Incredible! But now I did it

I never beat the optional boss, it just one shot me even after I finished the game so I figured it would require more grinding than was acceptable.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Do you have a 3DS? SMT4 (and apparently Apocalypse, though I haven't played it yet) are really great and are pretty good modern JRPGs with a limited amount of bullshit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

fridge corn posted:

Lock yourself in a room and watch dragon ball on loop until stockholm yourself into liking it again

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

a kitten posted:

No anime there.

Don't make me bust out the chart again.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.

fridge corn posted:

Please stop posting my life story as your own. Thanks.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

Despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I never really got into anime and in fact did not make any connection between them until basically adulthood.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I never beat the optional boss, it just one shot me even after I finished the game so I figured it would require more grinding than was acceptable.

I tried to fight him and could do damage and was surviving hits and probably could have beaten him if I just brought 100 bitter potions but I didn't want to actually how to fight him well. I was around level 52 I think and never did any griding during the story

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I did do the overnight money trick and had 3 +72 ultimate weapons though like a boss.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I watched One Punch Man. That there is some good anime.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Sorry everyone. Sorry.

In other news I just saw a shrink-wrapped pallet labeled Starbucks Ritual Tools and I'm worried about what dark secret I've just inadvertently stumbled over.

:tinfoil:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'll be at work til 6, can't help but wonder how this one day delivery thing works with amazon. If I get lucky, I'll catch the delivery guy between 630 and 9pm when I'm home, though more than likely they'll try again tomorrow. They better not leave my package outside my door because my complex is kinda shady

Here's to hoping I get my ps4 tonight, though it prob should not matter because I have piles of work to do regardless

yes I'm the guy who was bitching about his huge backlog, hey y'all I just bought another console

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

a kitten posted:

Sorry everyone. Sorry.

In other news I just saw a shrink-wrapped pallet labeled Starbucks Ritual Tools and I'm worried about what dark secret I've just inadvertently stumbled over.

please stop posting and get out while you still can

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played a lot of JRPGs as a kid, and now I play a lot more.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I need a control group of Jrpgs that rate absolute zero on the anime scale to conduct my experiments

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Sorry everyone. Sorry.

I've been playing AssCreed a lot recently and I'm starting to think the dumb conspiracy stuff is real

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fridge corn posted:

I need a control group of Jrpgs that rate absolute zero on the anime scale to conduct my experiments

There's no such thing as a WRPG that rates zero on the anime scale, let alone JRPGs

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

That Rome JRPG Capcom published?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

Despite playing a lot of JRPGs as a kid I never really got into anime and in fact did not make any connection between them until basically adulthood.

The relationship between the two is vastly overstated. Sure, Dragon Quest and other series use manga artists, and there are some conventions that you'll find in both, but just because something is from Japan and has a lot of talking doesn't make it automatically 'anime'.

ImpAtom posted:

There's no such thing as a WRPG that rates zero on the anime scale, let alone JRPGs

If someone calls Planescape Torment or Fallout an anime to my face I will sucker punch them.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Motto posted:

That Rome JRPG Capcom published?

Which one was that? The only Capcom Rome game I can think of is Shadow of Rome which owned because of the Coliseum fights. Well, more because of the Salvo Points. I loved that game and all its clunkiness.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Sakurazuka posted:

Some one should use that as an av....
That's enough, too far...

I think that's how that went.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

If someone calls Planescape Torment or Fallout an anime to my face I will sucker punch them.

Ah yes Fallout, the game that literally has direct references to anime. Certainly not anime at all.]\

Edit: Also the game where you can play as a post-apocalyptic beefman who punches people so hard they explode into gore.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It also references movies, so it is a movie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It references Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy, that makes it a book.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

Ah yes Fallout, the game that literally has direct references to anime. Certainly not anime at all.

...does this logic mean that anime containing direct references to western art is western?

Edit: beaten

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Snak posted:

...does this logic mean that anime containing direct references to western art is western?

Cowboy Bebop is definitely an American tv show.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Snak posted:

No, it means that the stupid-rear end "anime!!!" thing is dumb because Fallout is inspired by a lot of poo poo, including anime because nerds work on video games, and wringing your hands and whining about how something is 'anime' is stupid as poo poo because anime includes Fist of the North Star or Berserk among other things, both of which are heavy inspirations for a lot of video game poo poo.

Try to actually phrase what you dislike instead of panicking and waving your hands to and for and going "ANIME!!!" as if that means anything.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No, it means that the stupid-rear end "anime!!!" thing is dumb because Fallout is inspired by a lot of poo poo, including anime because nerds work on video games, and wringing your hands and whining about how something is 'anime' is stupid as poo poo because anime includes Fist of the North Star or Berserk among other things, both of which are heavy inspirations for a lot of video game poo poo.

Oh so you're just doing the usual dumb thing where you get mad that words can be used to mean multiple things.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Oh so you're just doing the usual dumb thing where you get mad that words can be used to mean multiple things.

No, I'm pointing out that you're doing the usual dumb thing where you use a meaningless generic phrase that has absolutely no actual value and expect people to understand what it means.

See: The person claiming that goddamn Chrono Trigger is 'mildly anime' or whatever the hell. The game with art design by Akira Toriyama where you play as a spikey-haired mute JRPG protagonist who travels through time fighting demons and space aliens alongside a knightly frog and Bulma from Dragonball Z.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Trying to steer gaming discussion away from superficialities is a losing battle, man

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dark souls 3 is worse than Dark souls 2

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

No, I'm pointing out that you're doing the usual dumb thing where you use a meaningless generic phrase that has absolutely no actual value and expect people to understand what it means.

See: The person claiming that goddamn Chrono Trigger is 'mildly anime' or whatever the hell. The game with art design by Akira Toriyama where you play as a spikey-haired mute JRPG protagonist who travels through time fighting demons and space aliens alongside a knightly frog and Bulma from Dragonball Z.

I told Steam to stop showing me games with the anime tag and it stopped showing me exactly the kind of game I mean when I say anime but still shows me fighting games, jrpgs and japanese games in general, so it seems most people know exactly what is meant by the use of that term. The only people who don't are willfully dense anime fans like you.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Andrast posted:

Dark souls 3 is worse than Dark souls 2

they are both great for a variety of reasons, and terrible for a variety of reasons

I kinda like that all three games are so different, makes going back to each one worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I told Steam to stop showing me games with the anime tag and it stopped showing me exactly the kind of game I mean when I say anime but still shows me fighting games, jrpgs and japanese games in general, so it seems most people know exactly what is meant by the use of that term. The only people who don't are willfully dense anime fans like you.

Searching steam with the anime tag shows me Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and SF5

edit: and mega man legacy collection

• Locked thread