Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

Captain Yossarian posted:

Windows Media Creation Tool failed with the same error on both my windows 10 PC trying to create a bootable USB AND on my windows 7 pro PC I'm trying to upgrade... 

It's been awhile since I've installed Windows 10, am I missing something obvious?

Edit : is there a better way to install Windows 10 now? I haven't tried since upgrades were free...

Probably want to hang fire for a couple of weeks or so as the new "creators update" is basically an OS reinstall/upgrade anyway, so may as well jump straight to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Yossarian posted:

Yes. I also tried running as administrator and etc with same errors.

At least on IE (w7 machine) , edge (w10 machine) and Firefox (on both machines) , i don't even get the option to download the ISO, the page redirects to the tool download page only, with no option to just direct download the iso. If I access it on my phone chrome browser, I can download the iso. I will probably give it a try on one of my Linux laptops this afternoon.. It's just baffling to me honestly

We still need to see what exactly is the error that's coming up.

And shot in the dark, you're not putting the tool on your USB stick and running it from there, right?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Not that it was hosed up, that it hosed up. Like glitched out.

Do you have fast startup turned on?

It was two different known issues with that update, specifically mentioned in the release notes for the next update by Microsoft.

e: to answer your question though, fast startup is not turned on and had nothing to do with the problem.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 25, 2017

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Just had to do a clean format and reinstalled Windows 10. I used powershell to rip out all of the retarded default apps including the store, renamed the Cortana folder to get rid of that crap, but still this piece of poo poo called "paradise beach" keeps reinstalling itself. I hate this. The app itself doesn't bother me, whatever it is, but I just don't want it to decide things by itself like that. What program or part of windows is it that can just install poo poo like that?

I used this tweak to stop push software. Havent seen any since

http://winaero.com/blog/stop-windows-10-anniversary-update-from-installing-candy-crush-and-other-unwanted-apps/

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Well I finally got windows 10 installed so I figured I would give an update to a way to get the ISO if the tool doesn't work: in Google Chrome, I used an add on to allow webpages to run in "mobile" view. Using a mobile view tab, I was able to access the direct download link for the Windows 10 iso. I used Rufus and the iso to make a boot USB- I didn't actually get the boot USB to work because I forgot to change the boot order in bios, but I was able to run the setup.exe file on the USB drive, on my windows 7 PC, and now it's running windows 10 fully patched and updated and etc.

I really appreciate everyone's help and advice and I figured I would give an update as to what worked for me, in case others can't get the tool to work :)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I'm having a problem where some of my music can be played via Cortana's voice commands, but others result in Cortana saying "looks like you need a groove pass to play this." The music is stored locally in .mp3 format in my default music folder. When I talk to Cortana and see the text translation of my speech, I can see that the song title and artist are spelled the same way as in my groove music library. What gives? Why won't it play music that I own, and why is it trying to sell me poo poo instead? Anyone else have this problem?

Google tells me there are a few people who have had the same problem on the MS support site, but their questions either go completely unanswered, or they get a response that isn't related to the problem at all.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Are they properly tagged? You might even have an issue where if the tags don't exactly match the text Cortana produced, it doesn't count (even with whitespace)

I don't know if that's a thing, just throwing it out there. Music apps can have real trouble organising things unless the tags are perfect

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

baka kaba posted:

Are they properly tagged? You might even have an issue where if the tags don't exactly match the text Cortana produced, it doesn't count (even with whitespace)

I don't know if that's a thing, just throwing it out there. Music apps can have real trouble organising things unless the tags are perfect

Some I was able to fix by changing the tags around, but others have me baffled. It seems like if anything in the whole album doesn't match what it expects exactly, it will refuse to play any songs from the album. For example, I tried getting it to play Alberto Balsalm by Aphex Twin, and while I was impressed that it recognized "Balsalm," it still told me to get a music pass. Once I took the ellipses out from the front of the album ...I Care Because You Do, the album and songs within it would play via speech command.

I don't even know how many times I've tweaked my tags, and I'm not too keen to do it again :( A lot of my music is still using tags from whatever database the CD ripping software I was using in ~2001 used...

edit: the way Groove condenses RDJ's face for the artist picture almost makes it worth it:

hawowanlawow fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 26, 2017

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
As much as I dislike Windows 10 I installed Win10 Enterprise LTSB 2016 last night and am very happy with it. Has the stupid poo poo I hated removed (Cortana, App Store/Apps, Edge) plus you can lower telemetry to Win7 levels and no automatic feature updates. Still not a fan of the Start menu but Classic Shell should solve that. Feels good to be off Windows 7.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Can anyone recommend a desktop clock? I upgraded my dad's PC to Windows 10 and he misses the big sidebar clock gadget in Windows 7.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I know its a bit overkill, but for $4 you can get Wallpaper Engine on Steam and load up one of the animated Clock backgrounds. A lot bigger than a widget and some can look pretty cool if he'd be ok with it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Rainmeter is free and lets you put a big clock on your desktop, among other things like weather, rotating photos etc: https://www.rainmeter.net/

On the other hand, if he really wants to use the original Windows Vista/7 gadget, there is this program which allows you to use the old Vista/7 gadgets on Windows 8/10: http://8gadgetpack.net/

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

Both solutions sound good, thanks guys.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Facebook events aren't showing in the Calendar app on any of my Windows 10 devices - is that likely to be a Facebook issue, or Windows? It'll be a right pain if I have to go back to adding them manually.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Did Edge get updated? It's actually fast now... Really fast.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I believe so. And there are even a few neat features coming in the next Creator Update too it looks.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Tab8715 posted:

Did Edge get updated? It's actually fast now... Really fast.

Is there a way to one-click import my saved passwords from Chrome into Edge?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Edge still has some weird/annoying quirks, but fair play to Microsoft, they have definitely been squirelling away at it over the past couple of years. I remember when Windows 10 came out and anything more than ten tabs would make it poo poo its brains out.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
God damnit. I'm trying to delete the Windows and Program Files folders from an old hard drive which had an old version of Windows 7 on it. I'm on Win10, of course. Every time I try to delete it, it says I 'need to provide administrator permissions to delete this folder.' I click continue, with the shield icon on it, then another popup says 'You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.'

I set the owner of that folder and its child folders to Administrators. I'm the only account Windows 10 has and I'm pretty drat sure I am administrator. I've read various sites that explain how to fix it, but they all don't actually change anything. They tell me to set the folder permissions to the administrator account, which I've already done. I really don't want to reformat this drive just to delete three folders. Is there any way it can be done?

I can post this in the help forum if necessary, I'm just hoping there is a quick fix I can get here. Thanks.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

Is there a way to one-click import my saved passwords from Chrome into Edge?

I don't think apps can simply take passwords from other apps if the apps are made securely. You can export passwords from Chrome into a CSV using some commandline thing, but I don't think you can import that into Edge.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Node posted:

God damnit. I'm trying to delete the Windows and Program Files folders from an old hard drive which had an old version of Windows 7 on it. I'm on Win10, of course. Every time I try to delete it, it says I 'need to provide administrator permissions to delete this folder.' I click continue, with the shield icon on it, then another popup says 'You need permission to perform this action. You require permission from Administrators to make changes to this folder.'

I set the owner of that folder and its child folders to Administrators. I'm the only account Windows 10 has and I'm pretty drat sure I am administrator. I've read various sites that explain how to fix it, but they all don't actually change anything. They tell me to set the folder permissions to the administrator account, which I've already done. I really don't want to reformat this drive just to delete three folders. Is there any way it can be done?

I can post this in the help forum if necessary, I'm just hoping there is a quick fix I can get here. Thanks.

Did you try to set the owner of those folders to your normal user account instead of Administrators? Then edit permissions so your user account has read+write permissions for those folders.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

Did you try to set the owner of those folders to your normal user account instead of Administrators? Then edit permissions so your user account has read+write permissions for those folders.

And for bonus points, explicitly set the privileges on the files and folders inside (I think it calls them 'child' files and folders but I'm on my phone ATM) in case some program did something really cool with its file permissions.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Edge is garbage, why would anyone use it?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because it's not anymore.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Node posted:

I tried everything and couldn't get rid of a Windows.old folder; finally I gave up and used Unlocker to delete the entire thing. It takes awhile, but Unlocker will delete anything, plus it's a tiny free utility.

Unhappy Meal
Jul 27, 2010

Some smiles show mirth
Others merely show teeth

JnnyThndrs posted:

I tried everything and couldn't get rid of a Windows.old folder; finally I gave up and used Unlocker to delete the entire thing. It takes awhile, but Unlocker will delete anything, plus it's a tiny free utility.

For everyone's future reference concerning Windows.old folders. Right click the drive where it resides, go to properties then disk cleanup, then in the disk cleanup dialog "Clean up system files" at the bottom which'll give you a check box to clean up "previous windows installations". :confuoot:

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Alternatively, boot into some Linux live session (I tend to use Ubuntu, but you can probably use whatever flavor you like) and then just delete the files/folders because Linux doesn't give a drat about Windows account permissions.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

My laptop running on slow ring previews just installed a new version, and when I logged back it it opened an Edge window showing a "Welcome to Creators Update" page.

It did put the Mail app icon back in my taskbar, but otherwise both Start menu layout and taskbar were as I left them.

E: Version 1703, build 15063.0

nielsm fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Mar 31, 2017

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Fuzz posted:

Edge is garbage, why would anyone use it?

It's slightly more efficient - great for laptops - and at one point was even faster than Chrome.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

It also seemed to stop forgetting my last opened tabs which is good.

Opera/Chrome always remember, but IE/Edge would always forget for one reason or another, usually due to a rogue shitsite or something.

I bounce between Edge/Opera mostly with a little dabbling in Vivaldi because its different and starting to look like a real browser each update.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Edge is the most lightweight browser in terms of battery usage, which is particularly noticable when you're using a tablet. Chrome can literally halve your battery life by itself if you're not paying attention.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The interface is good and clean for touch users too. It doesn't seem to have picked up any extensions since launch, really, but after ad block, pinterest and auto translate I'm not sure what I even used extensions for in Chrome either.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
I just helped my dad set up a new laptop, and I was surprised at how snappy Edge was -- I actually used it for more than just getting Chrome. I'm basically just waiting for 1password support, which apparently needs API changes, and then I might give it a honest go.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The only thing keeping me from trying it is the lack of some kind of hover zoom extension. There is an unsigned one, but I have to turn on unsigned extensions every time I start edge, which is stupid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I dunno, when I used Edge it was a mess with pop ups and lost its poo poo when pages had overlay ads like most news sites. Have they patched it heavily in the last year?

And yeah, Chrome has always been poo poo on tablets. Oddly enough Firefox is actually really good now and has a super tiny footprint. It was poo poo for awhile but in the last couple years it's cleaned up nicely. :shrug:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Yes Edge is vastly different than it was even 6 months ago. (As far as usability and reliability are concerned).

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Geemer posted:

Alternatively, boot into some Linux live session (I tend to use Ubuntu, but you can probably use whatever flavor you like) and then just delete the files/folders because Linux doesn't give a drat about Windows account permissions.

Or, you know, use the utility provided by the software manufacturer for that specific and exact purpose.

Christ. I'm goony as gently caress most of the time, but this is some next-level :goonsay: poo poo

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I've had Windows.old folders stick around and refuse to let you delete them, even after running the drive cleanup thing to clear it out. It's always some random-rear end dll files for a driver, and there's never any problem after using something to fully delete the folder and contents.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Disk cleanup (after clicking the "Clean up system files" button) gets rid of most all of that, and whatever is left is easily deleted after hitting OK that you really want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

nielsm posted:

My laptop running on slow ring previews just installed a new version, and when I logged back it it opened an Edge window showing a "Welcome to Creators Update" page.

It did put the Mail app icon back in my taskbar, but otherwise both Start menu layout and taskbar were as I left them.

E: Version 1703, build 15063.0

Public release of the Creators Update is stated to be April 11th, so you are seeing what is probably RC2+. There might be a few last minute tiny touches, which would be build 15063.X, but expect to stay on that version on slow ring for a good long while.