Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If it helps with the skipping stuff argument I'm already on the final episode of the first arc.

Also, can someone explain what the deal is with the apparent Taako offensive stuff, unless it's too spoilery?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

It is massively spoilery.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

If it helps with the skipping stuff argument I'm already on the final episode of the first arc.

Also, can someone explain what the deal is with the apparent Taako offensive stuff, unless it's too spoilery?

They never describe the characters in detail so some people like to think Taako is hispanic/latino because of the name, which is kinda weird if you look at it from the other angle in which a (maybe) hispanic guy is named after mexican food.

Except thats not what it is so its kinda weird Griffin is making a thing about it.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Schroedinger's Racism

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah it probably would have been better if they just completely ignored those complaints. But the fact that they always address people's concerns is one of the things that makes them who they are, so I dunno.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

They never describe the characters in detail so some people like to think Taako is hispanic/latino because of the name, which is kinda weird if you look at it from the other angle in which a (maybe) hispanic guy is named after mexican food.

Except thats not what it is so its kinda weird Griffin is making a thing about it.

In that case, what was it in Arsenic Lupin's post that Griffin said he would stop doing?

(also if anyone has a link to the interview mentioned in the same post that would be cool)

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Escobarbarian posted:

In that case, what was it in Arsenic Lupin's post that Griffin said he would stop doing?

(also if anyone has a link to the interview mentioned in the same post that would be cool)

Again, cannot stress this enough: MASSIVE SPOILERS. This is about a twist that was revealed in the latest episode.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Just ignore it, it's all dumb tumblr people looking to get offended bullshit.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Escobarbarian posted:

Saying what would be a massive spoiler. And I can't find the drat interview, and I apologize.

Here's the thing. Actual Latino/a people said "this isn't cool". It isn't cool, from my white POV, because tacos are used in the U.S. as shorthand for the entirety of Mexican culture. But I'm not Latina, and I can't explain what it's like to be Latina and what it means to them. But, as I said before, if somebody in your audience says "Your jokes about this thing are hurtful to me because of my ethnicity", you should probably listen, unless the ethnicity is "self-important white person." It doesn't kill the McElroys to stop using one joke and switch to another; they've got a lot of jokes to make.

Politeness and kindness are a good thing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Quote is not edit, drat it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
They are not latino, they are elves.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I'm not proud to say that I was genuinely more than a little disappointed that this stupid joke did not come to fruition, even if it was for good reason.

(stupid SJWs taking away my dumb bad joke :mad:)

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOMW_zCt3NQ

This is everything I could ever want. Ever.

This was always destined to happen.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
Ok, that's cool and all, but how is going "His name is Taako, he must be Mexican!" not hella racist? Why are racist people blaming Griffin for their own racism?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok, thanks for the info everyone. Given that hearing about how this specific twist is so good is what got me watching, I'm happy to wait.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Ok, that's cool and all, but how is going "His name is Taako, he must be Mexican!" not hella racist? Why are racist people blaming Griffin for their own racism?

It sounds like you didn't actually listen to the latest TTAZZ.

Just Offscreen posted:

Oh dip!!!!

Ariong fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 31, 2017

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Found the interview!

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

forget about the dnd it's time for horny skyrim :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFxjB_qHfow

obviously NSFW

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Just Offscreen posted:

This obviously needs to be commentated live by Griffin and Justin and if that's not what is happening it's a goddamn shame and a missed opportunity

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Crocoswine posted:

I feel like the funny kind of takes a backseat as Griffin gets more and more invested in the world he's created, so it's actually possible you could come out the other end liking it less the further you get.

I've been looking forward to this campaign ending and a new one beginning for this reason. Not that I hate the recent episodes, but I find it difficult to really care about the story. Best when it's just a backdrop for the goofs rather than something that takes up 85% of each episode with ~serious wizard drama~.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Saying what would be a massive spoiler. And I can't find the drat interview, and I apologize.

Here's the thing. Actual Latino/a people said "this isn't cool".

Unless I'm remembering it wrong Griffin was just worried people would think that based on fan art he's seen drawn of Taako, I don't think anyone complained.

Beekeeping and You
Sep 27, 2011

I liked Clint revealing that even from murder on the rockport limited, he planned on Merle being sort of insecure about his position because his spells don't work and he's sort of a lovely cleric. Merle's not like, my favorite, but it made me think that Clint really is trying to develop the dude and get his personality figured out.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Drunkboxer posted:

Unless I'm remembering it wrong Griffin was just worried people would think that based on fan art he's seen drawn of Taako, I don't think anyone complained.

He said on the newest TTAZZ that he'd heard from people.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Just Offscreen posted:

Ooooohhh man. This is very exciting. I can't believe how excited I am over a stupid video game video.

Beekeeping and You posted:

I liked Clint revealing that even from murder on the rockport limited, he planned on Merle being sort of insecure about his position because his spells don't work and he's sort of a lovely cleric. Merle's not like, my favorite, but it made me think that Clint really is trying to develop the dude and get his personality figured out.

I've always had a soft sport for Merle, because Clint's just there to have fun with his boys. The campaign-long meta-arc of Clint learning how D&D works in fits and starts is honestly one of my favorite things in the show. I think he, like Justin, never thought this show would go as long as it has, and didn't put a whole lot of effort into creating Merle, and it took him awhile to get where he needed to be. The moment he said "beach dwarf" was the moment I knew that he had finally, 100% solidified the character of Merle in his mind.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
"I don't personally find it offensive, so people who say they do are definitely making it up for attention"

I mean jesus it's not like they cancelled the show and replaced it with the Social Justice Comedy Hour, they just heard from some people that something made them cringe and so they said "oops we didn't realize" and changed it. Who cares?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Beekeeping and You posted:

I would love to see what Clint (and Justin) could do if they approached a game knowing from the start how it would turn out.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

timp posted:

This obviously needs to be commentated live by Griffin and Justin and if that's not what is happening it's a goddamn shame and a missed opportunity

That is exactly what will be occurring.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

timp posted:

https://twitter.com/griffinmcelroy/status/847871172272431105

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

showbiz_liz posted:

"I don't personally find it offensive, so people who say they do are definitely making it up for attention"

I mean jesus it's not like they cancelled the show and replaced it with the Social Justice Comedy Hour, they just heard from some people that something made them cringe and so they said "oops we didn't realize" and changed it. Who cares?

I would like to listen to the McElroy brothers present the social justice comedy hour please.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

inferis posted:

I would like to listen to the McElroy brothers present the social justice comedy hour please.

Sponsored by Totino's.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

I think the parts of say, mbmbam, where they awkwardly tiptoe around making fun of weird fetishes are a whole lot funnier than them just going eww furries sure are gross. A show like sawbones but for feminism instead of medicine would be pretty good.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Welp, this just went from "I'll catch it later" to "appointment viewing"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Just Offscreen posted:

my only issue with this is because the WWE is rigid and stupid with inter-gender stuff even in fantasy games Final Pam will not be able to just wreck every single other Precious Children

Serf
May 5, 2011

inferis posted:

To a great many people, this is sorta what MBMBAM is.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Wrestling and the McElroys go together like loving steak and cabernet, and I don't even like wrestling. That "Every time they say boy in WWE" video is far and away my favorite fan-made McElroy thing and this new series looks like a perfect spin-off of MF.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Serf posted:

Good

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Serf posted:

I just listened to the first pledge-week episode of Rose Buddiez and Griffin flat-out said that they loved Max Fun Network because it showed you could do comedy without being a total dickhead.*

* It may have been fuckstick or rear end in a top hat or dickhole. A (vulgar) noun symbolic of contempt.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just listened to the first pledge-week episode of Rose Buddiez and Griffin flat-out said that they loved Max Fun Network because it showed you could do comedy without being a total dickhead.*

* It may have been fuckstick or rear end in a top hat or dickhole. A (vulgar) noun symbolic of contempt.

it's really easy to make fun of Jesse for being just the most cartoonish California Man ever, and I have, but he really did try hard to make a space where comedy and light hearted stuff can be done from a place of sincerity and acceptance rather than mockery and negativity and I think he deserves a lot of praise for sticking to that aesthetic.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

Idk how you guys can support the McElroys after the way they have treated jugglers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Fellatio del Toro posted:

Idk how you guys can support the McElroys after the way they have treated jugglers

Being a juggler is a choice!!