Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've heard that Douglas is quite keen on the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Did she retire from acting or just kind of fall off the map.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hollywood stopped hiring her because of her age.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

zoux posted:

She's in hiding after her attempted murder of Michael Douglas.

According to Douglas, she tried to kill him with her poison snatch.

http://defamer.gawker.com/michael-douglas-regrets-attributing-his-cancer-to-his-w-1714730044

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

Took a fairly long break from movie acting when she was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in the mid-2000s, as I understand it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

SlimGoodbody posted:

I like to think that making a film that is incredibly savvy to racial politics, Peele wouldn't touch an American localization of Akira with a ten foot pole. Especially with the shitstorm surrounding Ghost in the Shell.

Death Note too, to a lesser extent

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Do you suppose CZJ will end up playing Janet?

25 years in a time vacuum could account for the age gaps between her and Douglas/Lilly.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
She is acting still. She is in Feud on Fx

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeremy Renner passed on Mission Impossible Six and is going to co-star in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

This is part of Marvel's post-Infinity War direction of "Unexpected team ups and intimate character stories."

It seems like they wanted to focus on Ant-Man and The Wasp, so they made sure to bring in the person who would least distract from them.

(I like Renner and Hawkeye is fine, but "shoot arrows good" will always be funny when sitting next to Ant-Man, The Hulk, or Thor)

The director has said this is not true.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Speaking of Catherine Zeta-Jones, I got The Phantom used on DVD for cheap so I'll hopefully be able to watch that soon, then I'll have watched all the main "we want another Batman '89" movies from the 1990s.

(I've seen Dick Tracy, The Shadow, The Rocketeer and Darkman - Darkman was probably the best of the bunch and I think The Shadow was the weakest.)

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

howe_sam posted:

And if they don't at least use the Burnside costume at least that's just stupid. It was designed to translate to live action.

Really? I didn't see any hexagon-printed bodysuit or tiny armor plates all over it.

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He doesn't kill the Joker.

Grant Morrison certainly seemed to interpret it that way

http://io9.gizmodo.com/grant-morrison-says-alan-moore-secretly-killed-the-joke-1156091439

As did most readers and it's what Alan Moore intended

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr President posted:

Actually Alan Moore is my uncle (well, not really, but he met my uncle when they both worked at Nintendo) and I can confirm that it is probably not what he intended.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr President posted:

Grant Morrison certainly seemed to interpret it that way

http://io9.gizmodo.com/grant-morrison-says-alan-moore-secretly-killed-the-joke-1156091439

citation needed

Mr President
Nov 13, 2016

by Lowtax

Falstaff posted:

Except he doesn't kill the joker.

If you believe authorial intent matters, then Moore has stated in interviews he didn't kill the joker in that story.

If you're big into Death of the Author, then consider that the final panel in the book is completely identical to the first panel in the book, i.e., the struggle between Batman and his nemesis will continue, nothing of consequence has changed there. The idea that the joker dies was popularized by Grant Morrison, except he had less than nothing to do with the Killing Joke, so...

do you have actual quotes from Alan Moore where he says he didn't kill the joker at the end?

I mean batman clearly grabs him by the throat and joker is screaming EEEEE and then you see blood on the floor (the later volumes were recolored but I have original copy where you see red liquid). The laughter and screaming just ends suddenly implying batman snaped his neck. Why do you think it's even called the killing joke? It's about batman finally having enough and killing joker.

Mr President fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 31, 2017

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mr President posted:

I mean batman clearly grabs him by the throat and joker is screaming EEEEE and then you see blood on the floor (the later volumes were recolored but I have original copy where you see red liquid).

I think it's because the Joker is gay for Batman and when Batman grabbed him he had a massive nosebleed like in anime.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Mr President posted:

do you have actual quotes from Alan Moore where he says he didn't kill the joker at the end?

I mean batman clearly grabs him by the throat and joker is screaming EEEEE and then you see blood on the floor (the later volumes were recolored but I have original copy where you see red liquid). The laughter and screaming just ends suddenly implying batman snaped his neck. Why do you think it's even called the killing joke? It's about batman finally having enough and killing joker.

If by throat you mean shoulders, then okay!

and the EEEEEEEE is clearly the sirens, i mean, c'mon.

also why would there be red liquid on the ground if he's being strangled (which he is not, just reinforcing that)? Are you saying Bruce dug his fingers all the way into his neck like something out of Dead Alive and blood is just spurting all over the goddamn place and poo poo? does this really make the most sense to you?

redbackground fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Mar 31, 2017

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
to me it looks like Batman's hands are closer to his shoulders/chest area than neck

and the script doesn't mention Joker being killed:

sorry for the small font

3. "Now just a half figure or head and shoulders shot of the Batman from the front. The absurdity of the situation comes homes to him, and one corner of his mouth twitches upwards. He and The Joker are going to kill each other one day. It’s preordained. They may as well enjoy this one rare moment of contact while it lasts."

5. "Now we see them full figure. There is a large puddle at their feet. They are now both helpless with laughter and have collapsed forward onto each, both ragged and bloody, each holding the other up as they stand there clinging together in the rain."

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Jeremy Renner passed on Mission Impossible Six and is going to co-star in Ant-Man and The Wasp.

This is part of Marvel's post-Infinity War direction of "Unexpected team ups and intimate character stories."

It seems like they wanted to focus on Ant-Man and The Wasp, so they made sure to bring in the person who would least distract from them.

(I like Renner and Hawkeye is fine, but "shoot arrows good" will always be funny when sitting next to Ant-Man, The Hulk, or Thor)

Ant-Man, The Wasp, and Fly on the Wall.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Mr President posted:

Here:

Alan Moore posted:

..for the record, my intention at the end of that book was to have the two characters simply experiencing a brief moment of lucidity in their ongoing very weird and probably fatal relationship with each other, reaching a moment where they both perceive the hell that they are in, and can only laugh at their preposterous situation.
From here quoting this series of questions.

Also, Batman clearly grabs the Joker by the shoulders in that penultimate panel. E:beaten
Taking Grant Morrison's opinion of anything written by Alan Moore? Yikes.

E: As for the name - maybe something to do with Killing Joke, who formed 10 years before the comic and Moore will have certainly been familiar with?

EmptyVessel fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Mar 31, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Batman killing Joker in The Killing Joke has been debunked a million times. No matter what crazy internet posters and Grant Morrison think that was not what happened in the book. Let's not indulge every stupid thing Mr. President posts please.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Batman isn't grabbing Joker by the shoulders, he's steadying himself against Joker because he's doubled over in helpless laughter. It's a pretty common pose, I thought.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

Phylodox posted:

Batman isn't grabbing Joker by the shoulders, he's steadying himself against Joker because he's doubled over in helpless laughter. It's a pretty common pose, I thought.

Yeah, he might as well be patting him on the back. I never even thought to question these panels, it's beyond clear.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Bats is clearly going in for the handy-nasty

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You know people would probably stop coming in here and trolling the thread if you guys didn't bite on every piece of bait you see.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"Batman kills the Joker" is funny because I completely had no clue that interpretation existed until the animated Killing Joke movie came out, because now on top of all the other complaints being thrown around you heard "and they changed the Joker dying!"

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

X-O posted:

Batman killing Joker in The Killing Joke has been debunked a million times. No matter what crazy internet posters and Grant Morrison think that was not what happened in the book. Let's not indulge every stupid thing Mr. President posts please.

It's also important to remember that Grant Morrison is full of poo poo more often than not.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

haitfais posted:

It's also important to remember that Grant Morrison is full of poo poo more often than not.

Citation needed

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Rhyno posted:

Citation needed

That's been my response to his claims that Alan Moore threatened to have him blacklisted from the industry if he started writing Miracleman, or that he was abducted by aliens, or that he suffered sympathetic harm due to injuries sustained by King Mob in The Invisibles, or that he can do magic, or that Batman killing Joker at the end of The Killing Joke was Alan Moore's intention. We've already covered the last one, I've never found any source other than Morrison for the first, and the rest are loving clownshoes nonsense. I love his writing, but bullshit is the man's stock in trade.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Morrison absolutely can do magic, he made me care about a Robin.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

If there's anything this forum has taught me about comic book creators, it's that they're all assholes

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not good old Chris Hastings. He's a diamond in the rough.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
https://twitter.com/Anawnnemus/status/848180024587018240

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

parallelodad posted:

Not good old Chris Hastings. He's a diamond in the rough.

Hyperactive alt-acount detected

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

At some point, the internet decided that satire and pranks weren't about making funny jokes, but trying to get as many people to believe lies as possible.

All The Onion ripoffs that try to publish fake news without being funny to get shares on Facebook are the worst.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Yes it's a joke but still

https://twitter.com/GroovyBruce/status/848336325551980544

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I honestly think that would be terrible.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I honestly think that would be terrible.

He probably would have made a good Deadpool back in his day, but DP needs a fairly straight man to play off of, which isn't what I think when I think Bruce Campbell.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Oh i agree cable is not a funnyman like Campbell i just thought the tweet was amusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

SlimGoodbody posted:

He probably would have made a good Deadpool back in his day, but DP needs a fairly straight man to play off of, which isn't what I think when I think Bruce Campbell.

My alternate choice for DP was Johnny Knoxville.

That doesn't have anything to do with the conversation really, I just like bringing it up.

• Locked thread