Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Frankly I never liked the wacky pop culture references in Fallout games. For several reasons I guess: referential humour is the lowest form of wit, not sarcasm; what are 80s references doing in this far-future sci-fi world whose aesthetics are 60s kitsch; way to date your game, nerds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Frankly I never liked the wacky pop culture references in Fallout games. For several reasons I guess: referential humour is the lowest form of wit, not sarcasm; what are 80s references doing in this far-future sci-fi world whose aesthetics are 60s kitsch; way to date your game, nerds

where is borderlands humour on the scale

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Jay Rust posted:

way to date your game, nerds

I only date anime games

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Help Im Alive posted:

where is borderlands humour on the scale

what humor lol

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*miyazaki voice* loanwords were a mistake *starts yelling at a roomba*

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Jay Rust posted:

It's 50s kitsch, and that was only a small aspect of the series until 3 came out and went whole hog with it. It was a 50s sci fi utopia that descended into 80s post-apocalypse madness due to war, that was always the idea.

Andrast posted:

Searching steam with the anime tag shows me Tekken 7, Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and SF5

edit: and mega man legacy collection

That's weird, I still see those games. I guess there's a margin of error.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

That's weird, I still see those games. I guess there's a margin of error.

I think it's because anime is not in the top tags for them but is still relevant enough to get tagged for it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I call a lot of things "anime bullshit" when they me think of the kind of thing I'd expect to see in the kind of anime I'd have watched in college (which was the last time I watched much anime at all). But it's not a precise term and also there are multiple kinds of anime bullshit, and also it isn't necessarily a negative term to me. I don't enjoy Neptunia's brand of anime bullshit but I do enjoy Xenosaga's kind of "everything is symbolic and you can bet someone is literally Jesus" anime bullshit even though both are about equal on the scale of how bullshit and/or how ~*~anime~*~ they are.

So anyway that's my lack of contribution to the discussion, thank you for reading

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

It's 50s kitsch, and that was only a small aspect of the series until 3 came out and went whole hog with it. It was a 50s sci fi utopia that descended into 80s post-apocalypse madness due to war, that was always the idea.

And what better way to reflect that than Monty Python's Holy Grail

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

but the future refused to change

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I told Steam to stop showing me games with the anime tag and it stopped showing me exactly the kind of game I mean when I say anime but still shows me fighting games, jrpgs and japanese games in general, so it seems most people know exactly what is meant by the use of that term. The only people who don't are willfully dense anime fans like you.

An yes Lurdiak, your argument of "i told Steam a thing and it stopped showing me stuff" where somehow JRPGs and Japanese games don't count. I can't imagine why anyone doesn't agree with your brilliance.

Certainly this is far more logical than actually expressing what you dislike. Certainly when asking for opinions of games that are 'low-anime' it certainly is useful to have a vague description that doesn't actually imply what you're looking for or to avoid.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Is it weird that I find Lurdiak and ImpAtom's periodic fights kind of entertaining?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

yes, but it's weirder that I hate them but keep reading

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Harrow posted:

Is it weird that I find Lurdiak and ImpAtom's periodic fights kind of entertaining?

It's extremely anime, when you think about it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

gently caress you it isn't anime at all

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The concept of anyone enjoying Xenosaga is mystifying to me

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zw-X8DkdZhM

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

Don't worry, I'm baffled by it, too. Looking back I have no idea how I sat through Xenosaga 2, especially.

exquisite tea posted:

Is this the part where they spend a few episodes powering up to deliver their ultimate sick burns?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

An yes Lurdiak, your argument of "i told Steam a thing and it stopped showing me stuff" where somehow JRPGs and Japanese games don't count. I can't imagine why anyone doesn't agree with your brilliance.

Certainly this is far more logical than actually expressing what you dislike. Certainly when asking for opinions of games that are 'low-anime' it certainly is useful to have a vague description that doesn't actually imply what you're looking for or to avoid.

Look man, your attachment to prescriptive language on this singular issue doesn't make any sense to me and I don't understand why you get so worked up about it every time it comes up. You can't point to every single thing that's mildly influenced by or similar to an anime and say that anyone who likes those things can't criticize anime or use the word "anime" as a pejorative, and you certainly can't keep pretending you don't understand how someone can say Chrono Trigger is less anime than the Persona series. It's beyond disingenuous and stubborn and borders on the facetious. There's basically nothing you can do or say that's going to stop making me use the word "anime" the way I use it, so you should probably make your peace with being on the losing side of the evolution of language.

Anyway here's a cool anime tweet.

https://twitter.com/shamoozal/status/847817947703902213

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Some people at one point in their young, idealistic, naive lives really liked Xenogears, and wanted to look forward to something, anything remotely like it.

I know I numbered among them for a time.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

but yeah it'd be better to actually say and discuss what you like/dislike about stuff rather than get into weird pedantic slapfights over something that's pretty idiosyncratic to SA, at least in frequency of usage

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

Lurdiak posted:

you certainly can't keep pretending you don't understand how someone can say Chrono Trigger is less anime than the Persona series.

Please describe exactly what makes one of these less 'anime' than the other thanks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I liked Xenogears as a young adult and thought the expanded budget + sweeping format of the storyline would allow Monolith to put together a really focused story that was told through its gameplay rather than stitched together one-hour cutscenes.

lol

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm having a pretty anime day myself...

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

Some people at one point in their young, idealistic, naive lives really liked Xenogears, and wanted to look forward to something, anything remotely like it.

I know I numbered among them for a time.
I mean certainly, I was one such person, but then I played Xenosaga and everything changed

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

And what better way to reflect that than Monty Python's Holy Grail

Hey, I didn't say I liked those references, except for the ones that are actually jokes instead of just making a reference and ending it there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/radbrowndads/status/846501449387462657

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Serf posted:

Until it starts to make them lose money, they will not put any more effort into curating the storefront more than they already do.

A few months ago Capcom put a rootkit in an update to SF5, it's only a matter of time until something legitimately malicious gets distributed via Steam.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

*steps out from :crossange:* persona 4 isn't anime

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Look man, your attachment to prescriptive language on this singular issue doesn't make any sense to me and I don't understand why you get so worked up about it every time it comes up. You can't point to every single thing that's mildly influenced by or similar to an anime and say that anyone who likes those things can't criticize anime or use the word "anime" as a pejorative, and you certainly can't keep pretending you don't understand how someone can say Chrono Trigger is less anime than the Persona series. It's beyond disingenuous and stubborn and borders on the facetious. There's basically nothing you can do or say that's going to stop making me use the word "anime" the way I use it, so you should probably make your peace with being on the losing side of the evolution of language.

Bullshit.

The problem is the same tiresome stupid poo poo every single time. The issue is that you're self-conscious and terrified and don't actually want to admit that you like something Japanese-as-gently caress because you've been teased about it or something similar. So you keep making up weird imaginary barriers so you don't actually have to discuss anything on a level beyond throwing out a single word so that everyone knows you're not a ~anime lover~ despite the fact you like or play Japanese-as-gently caress anime games. It's tiresome because you kill any actual conversation about subject matter in favor of going "anime!!!"

If being on the 'losing end of language' means that I can explain what i mean instead of using a word that means different things every time someone uses it then sign me up

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This exact same conversation happened a week ago

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

In Training posted:

We've entered an endless recurrence of time

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Hey, I didn't say I liked those references, except for the ones that are actually jokes instead of just making a reference and ending it there.

I've never taken Wild Wasteland in New Vegas because I got so turned off by Black Isle / Obsidian's "wacky side" from the earlier games, but people insist on using it all the time. So do the New Vegas gags fall into the latter category?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

In Training posted:

my bad

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

In Training posted:

Yeah but somehow it's funnier this time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

I've never taken Wild Wasteland in New Vegas because I got so turned off by Black Isle / Obsidian's "wacky side" from the earlier games, but people insist on using it all the time. So do the New Vegas gags fall into the latter category?

The Wild Wasteland stuff is almost all "this was a reference to a thing

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Please describe exactly what makes one of these less 'anime' than the other thanks

Please don't make him post his stupid list again

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Neutral Anime Hotel

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Bullshit.

The problem is the same tiresome stupid poo poo every single time. The issue is that you're self-conscious and terrified and don't actually want to admit that you like something Japanese-as-gently caress because you've been teased about it or something similar. So you keep making up weird imaginary barriers so you don't actually have to discuss anything on a level beyond throwing out a single word so that everyone knows you're not a ~anime lover~ despite the fact you like or play Japanese-as-gently caress anime games. It's tiresome because you kill any actual conversation about subject matter in favor of going "anime!!!"

If being on the 'losing end of language' means that I can explain what i mean instead of using a word that means different things every time someone uses it then sign me up

I like plenty of Japanese games and other Japanese things without being self-conscious about it, there's a difference between Japanese pop culture, Japanese culture in general, and anime, are you aware of that. Like do you think someone who watches Japanese soap operas loves anime automatically. Do you think the fact that I don't like Dagan Ronpa means I have some kind of problem with Japanese culture in general.

Plus I've admitted to liking some actual factual animes plenty of times. Heck, almost every cartoon I watched when I was a little kid was secretly dubbed anime. That's why I keep saying that the word has multiple meanings in the way I and many other people use it, but you just keep stubbornly arguing about the way I use the word like it's a personal slight against you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Yeah but somehow it's funnier this time

Comedy rule of threes means April is gonna be a barrel of laughs

• Locked thread