Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When my iMac started shutting down in the middle of using it Fruit had to replace the power supply.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Hmmm the battery did recently light the 'service battery' flag, though i'm not sure if I was on battery or not at the time. The plug is poo poo and too loose so it might've been or that even could've been the cause by some short circuit from a broken port.

e: though now the battery is 'good'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Hmmm the battery did recently light the 'service battery' flag, though i'm not sure if I was on battery or not at the time. The plug is poo poo and too loose so it might've been or that even could've been the cause by some short circuit from a broken port.

e: though now the battery is 'good'
When your battery turns 'bad' it will often sporadically report bad/good.

How old? How many cycles?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

My 2011 MBP finally started to graphically poo poo the bed 3 months to the day after the extended repair period ended so I did the only logical thing and ordered a 2016 MBP with a 1tb drive and the Radeon 460 in it.

:toot:

Feels good.

Apple also called me to confirm I really did order one and then tell me it was shipping today instead of in 10 days like the mac store app said.

:sotw:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Apple: underpromise, overdeliver.. which happens sometimes with refurbs..

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm getting that soon. Kinda glad my last one came busted cause I wanted 1 TB instead of 512gb. It was like fate.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Bob Morales posted:

When your battery turns 'bad' it will often sporadically report bad/good.

How old? How many cycles?

It's roughly two years old with only 380 cycles on it. The guy I bought it from didn't get applecare, so *sigh*

Heh, it was literally made 2 years ago

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I got the 512/radeon 460 touchbar pro since I've been living with a 128gb Air for 3 years and only accidentally went under 20gb free when I dd'd a random .img file to my documents folder instead of an SD card somehow.

I figure when I need to install windows onto a 60gb partition for some reason I'll still be fine.

Super happy with the computer though, it's absurdly good.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Well if we're on the "new computer chat" thing right now; I just bought a 2014 15" rMBP to replace my 2009 17" MBP! 16 GB memory/ 512 GB SSD and the discrete graphics. Hopefully it won't take me long to get used to the smaller screen. My last two laptops lasted almost exactly 6 years each from when I bought them (and cost me almost exactly the same, oddly enough), so I'm hoping to get there again with this one.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Spring is new computer time!

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Housh posted:

Spring is new computer time!

Yep! Got my dosh, now I'm just waiting on the announcement (or lack thereof) of new iMacs to figure out what I want to do.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

How restricting is using a MacBook Pro with the 128GB HD?

I'm trying to decide if the $200 extra is worth it for 256GB since I already have a portable 4 TB drive that I got for only $100.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

It's worth it so badly

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

It's worth it so badly

yeah for real like $200 in new computer terms is nothing. Do it!

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
128gb is like the equivalent of an 8gb iPhone.

Oh you can do it. You will curse your life - but you can make it work.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Depends on your use. I have a 256gb pro retina and I hardly use more than 20gb on it. A buddy of mine upgraded his 2011 Pro from a 750gb HDD to a 128GB SSD. He's used his laptop constantly since then and still never uses more than the bare minimum. Personally I'd be fine with a 128gb on my current MacBook, but if it was the only computer I had (and would be my daily driver), I'd go with 512gb or something. But that's what my desktop is for.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I've used a 128GB macbook since 2012 and I have never found it burdensome ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Bro I use a 16gb MBP manage your data.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

The real answer is to just look at your current data usage and figure out if it would be annoying for you in the future.

That said, you can't upgrade the HDs in newer laptops, so what you get is what you have.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Linguica posted:

I've used a 128GB macbook since 2012 and I have never found it burdensome ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Do you use the SD slot for extra memory? because the new ones don't have that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nice, I applied for financing just out of curiosity and they cleared me for $2000. :toot:

Got my eyes on the current 13" MacBook Pro with Touch Bar. 2.9 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB HD (and Space Gray)

Any tips on stuff to get with it? Is the touch bar even worth it?

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 2, 2017

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
i would go for a lower rated processor and 16 gb memory unless you're heavy into media editing stuff

personally if i was buying now i would go for the function key variant because from the teardowns i've seen the internals look better designed and much more repairable. namely the function key version has a removable ssd drive inside. the touch bar is definitely cool but more of a gimmick at this point

Bulgogi Hoagie fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 2, 2017

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

i would go for a lower rated processor and 16 gb memory unless you're heavy into media editing stuff

personally if i was buying now i would go for the function key variant because from the teardowns i've seen the internals look better designed and much more repairable. namely the function key version has a removable ssd drive inside. the touch bar is definitely cool but more of a gimmick at this point

Also, the MacBook Pro esc, (function key version ) is supposed to have better battery life. Think of it as a new version of a MacBook Air.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

That's what I thought about the touch bar, but wondered if the few other perks were worth it. So, the regular 2.0 GHz with 8 or 16 GB ought to be fine? My current PC is a 2011 HP Pavilion with 8 GB RAM, 2.7 GHz AMD and I've been happy with the speed up until the last year when I started having problems with it.

Does using Airplay work pretty well? I have the new Apple TV and being able to use my 60" 4K monitor would be nice.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

I would personally not buy a laptop without max RAM. You can't upgrade it, and if your workflow ends up needing more memory than you have, it can be really tough to try to work around that. It's just way more likely, in my opinion, to cause a problem later down the line than any other factor.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

We have reached a milestone, and it’s one of those silly Swedish miles that’s like six normal miles.

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
The desktop computer is as dead as the CD player.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

If Apple had an ounce of humor they would have announced the new Mac Pro yesterday.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
They'll have to wait for the next April 1st that falls on a Tuesday

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
So I just updated to 10.12.4 on my Early 2015 RMBP... seems like the battery life went down to about 5 hours from nine or so. Anyone else see battery problems on their MacBooks/MBPs with this OS update?

EDIT: It's up to 6 now. Maybe it's just the screen brightness and how I'm using it.

EDIT 2: Apple Motion has an energy impact of 280,000 :stonklol:

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 2, 2017

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Decided to splurge because of the financing and settled on the regular 15" with 2.20 GHz quad-core and 16 GB RAM by default.

It'll even be ready for pickup today. :toot:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Egbert Souse posted:

Decided to splurge because of the financing and settled on the regular 15" with 2.20 GHz quad-core and 16 GB RAM by default.

It'll even be ready for pickup today. :toot:

get a sleeve for it before you knock a dent into the screen panel in your excitement

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

get a sleeve for it before you knock a dent into the screen panel in your excitement

Do you mean a padded sleeve or a case that actually goes onto it?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Egbert Souse posted:

Do you mean a padded sleeve or a case that actually goes onto it?

a padded sleeve is better in my experience as a case tends to chink off bits of aluminium from impacts

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

SSD in my late 2013 Macbook Pro died today 3 months after my Applecare expired, computer just hard-froze while I was working, rebooted and recovery mode doesn't detect the internal hard drive.

Guess its time to shell out for one of those annoyingly proprietary PCIE SSD blade things.

Bad week for hard drives in my Macs, the boot SSD in my tower Mac Pro died on Tuesday, but mercifully it was within 3 days of the 3-year Samsung warranty.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Decided to splurge because of the financing

you know you still have to pay for it

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Pivo posted:

Mental accounting fallacy bro.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Doctor Zero posted:

If Apple had an ounce of humor they would have announced the new Mac Pro yesterday.

No, at this point that would be somewhere akin to the funeral director joking that your dad was just asleep and he's waiting for you in the next room. Some things are too hosed up to be funny.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Pivo posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

SSD in my late 2013 Macbook Pro died today 3 months after my Applecare expired, computer just hard-froze while I was working, rebooted and recovery mode doesn't detect the internal hard drive.

Guess its time to shell out for one of those annoyingly proprietary PCIE SSD blade things.

Bad week for hard drives in my Macs, the boot SSD in my tower Mac Pro died on Tuesday, but mercifully it was within 3 days of the 3-year Samsung warranty.

If you're balking at the prices on eBay for aftermarket Late 2013 rMBP SSDs, you might want to try:

http://store.mcetech.com/mm/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=512GBPCIESSD-L13M14

Seems like they're selling an SSD that's faster than the OWC Aura but overprovisioned, as it formats to 480/960 GB, but at $450 for 512 GB / $680 for 1 TB it seems like a good deal compared to eBay/OWC. And it runs at the full PCIe 4X spec, 1400 MB/sec read and 1100 MB/sec write, unlike OWC's which runs some lovely controller that can only manage 740 MB/sec.